TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tutorial - Run RCT and RCT2 Natively on Mac OS X!

Hey everyone!

So, as you probably know, I wrote a guidebook on the basics of NoLimits to answer the question, "How do I use NoLimits?".

Now, I'm answering a second question - How do you run RCT and RCT2 on Mac OS X? I mean, they're Windows-only applications, so you'd think that they'd only run on Windows, right?

Well, you're half-right.

In this tutorial, I will be using Wineskin to install RollerCoaster Tycoon Deluxe (RCT1 + expansions) on my Macbook Pro running the latest version of Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" and 10.8 "Mountain Lion".

To install the game correctly, you will need the following things -

• The application Wineskin, explained in the tutorial
  • Your RCT or RCT2 install disc
  • Moderate knowledge of the operations you're performing

For reference, here's my own personal system configuration -

• Mid-2010 15" Macbook Pro Core i5
  • Mac OS X 10.7.4
  • Wineskin Winery 2.5.5

I have successfully gotten both games to work with the following Wineskin engines -

Let's get started!

Step 1 - go to the Wineskin website. It is located HERE. Save the window for later.

cap1.thumb.png.4392ecabe0fdb4d4f7789b92917dcf36.png

Step 2 - insert your install disc in your optical drive. It will appear on your desktop.

cap2.thumb.png.0530a9a69b12bd03a450edd81cdbb4e6.png

Step 3 - download the Wineskin Winery. The application will appear in your Downloads folder. For the sake of convenience, you should move it to your Applications folder.

cap3.thumb.png.bf19d595584ca0be77582d1ad8df7a84.png

Step 4 - launch the application.

cap4.thumb.png.5b8288de43269dc5786d2a813cd1e6b8.png

Step 4A - click the plus icon to install an engine to create your application. At the time this was written, the latest engine was 1.5.3. However, as of July 10 2012, the latest engine is 1.5.8.

Step 4B - click Update to update the wrapper used to create the Windows bottle. At this time, it's Wineskin 2.5.5.

Step 4C - when you're all set, click Create Blank Wrapper.

Step 5 - give your new application a name. Since I'm installing RollerCoaster Tycoon, that's what I named it.

cap5.thumb.png.52a012ed2cadbcc951bd1027f29c2423.png

Step 6 - don't install a Mono package or a Gecko package. A Mono package is required for applications that use the .NET framework, which RCT and RCT2 do not. A Gecko package is basically Wineskin's version of Internet Explorer to handle applications that use HTML. I'm pretty sure that none of the RCTs need that either.

cap6.thumb.png.e2596cef2d54333e5dced03e0e8f754c.png

Step 7 - create your application! After you choose whether or not to install the Gecko package, your application will install on its own.

cap7.thumb.png.35418115a60a00c6fe08e18ecac0cc6c.png

Keep in mind that your game isn't actually installed yet! Wineskin only created the Mac .app file that you will use to run your game. Right now, you essentially have an application that does absolutely nothing! The application houses the necessary folder structure that your game will use to operate.

The application will appear in a new folder. Keep in mind that the new folder is created in your home Applications folder. So, you have to go to your home folder and go to its Applications directory.

Step 8 - launch your new application.

cap8.thumb.png.902bcb802af6c7909a9520e1ad32a02b.png

The application will open in Wineskin. Before we do any software installing, we need to set up how it's displayed on your screen.

Step 9 - make the necessary screen adjustments. In my case, I want RollerCoaster Tycoon to always display in a separate window, so I can move it around. Your experience may vary.

cap9.thumb.png.5c1d74e2104114c7f6c4b129ceab4f90.png

Step 10 - click Install Software. Since the setup application for RollerCoaster Tycoon is on the disc itself and we can browse for it, click Choose Setup Executable.

cap10.thumb.png.81bc90881af870c7715ff050b7f289ed.png

Step 11 - browse for and select your setup application.

cap11.thumb.png.a3d7cb2f03c24980af4b9d32ba4b5ed0.png

Step 12 - install the game like normal.

NOTE: If you are installing RollerCoaster Tycoon 2, it is highly recommended that you perform a "Full" install. This is done by selecting "Custom" when prompted with three ways to install the game (Typical, Compact, and Custom).

cap12.thumb.png.0530ad060e6adcad6df764d2f6ccf253.png

Step 13 - don't create a desktop shortcut or view the readme. You probably already know how to play RCT, and a desktop shortcut would be redundant and useless.

cap13.thumb.png.772f022c0ef2a15c32fccb3d1c915ad3.png

Step 14 - select the EXE that will run the application. For RCT, you'll want RCT.exe. For RCT2, you'll want RCT2.exe.

If for some reason the EXE that you need isn't listed after you install the game, you can manually browse for it by going back and clicking Advanced.

cap14.thumb.png.811ee41609bb19fb6ab85ddafb58e6c7.png

For example, when I installed RCT Deluxe, it didn't find the EXE automatically. So, I needed to browse for it. It was in my home folder > Applications > Wineskin > RollerCoaster Tycoon > Contents > Resources > drive_c > Program Files > Infogrames Interactive > RollerCoaster Tycoon Deluxe > RCT.exe.

Notice that when you get past the Resources folder, the structure is exactly like it is in Windows.

Before you test run your application, read this! When you launch RCT or RCT2 for the first time, it will go into full screen and become very distorted.

To fix this in RCT, open up a new park/scenario and go to the Options menu. Select Window, and it will go into Window mode and stay there.

RCT2 does not have a Window mode, so you must go into the Wineskin's screen options and select Override and Virtual Desktop.

Step 15 - test run your application! In the advanced menu, click Test Run.

cap15.thumb.png.6f010ecda0b85f9c4683785544a77776.png

Hooray, it works!

Step 16 - to truly test to make sure your application works, launch it directly from the Finder. Quit Wineskin and Wineskin Winery, and find your new application in the Finder. Double-click it, and see if it launches. You may have to Force Quit it and re-launch it. It's not perfect!

cap16.thumb.png.5de6e0afaf16721ce460878c34fd06cb.png

If for some reason the install did not work correctly, you can easily start over from the beginning. Just find your new application in the Finder, and drag it into the Trash! You can then try the install again.

Please note that this does not let you run RCT/RCT2 without the install disc. You'll still need to pop in the disc and then run the application. The only difference is that you will not see the autorun box come up when you put the disc in.

However, because the folder structure is the same as Windows, you can replace the EXE with one from a no-CD patch and run it without the disc. Please only do that if you actually have the disc, because otherwise it's illegal.

I've had some issues in RCT Deluxe with panning the view with a right-click; using the four arrow keys works great.

Like any other application, you can easily change its icon.

At any time, you can adjust the settings of the application in Wineskin. Right-clicking the application and clicking "Show Package Contents" will let you browse in it. Each time you create a new application in Wineskin winery, it creates a separate Wineskin application that keeps track of all the settings. Double-clicking the Wineskin app will let you adjust the settings in the same way that you were able to do right after you installed your game.

If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them.

Thanks for reading, and good luck! Your results may vary!

Edited by A.J.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the InstallShield installer just didn't come up at all?

I get that error whenever I try to cancel the installation, but the InstallShield installer always comes up for me when I use my Triple Thrill Pack disc.

EDIT: What OS version are you using? It looks like Leopard or Snow Leopard. Leopard (10.5) seems to have issues using newer Wine engines. Try an older one either way. People around the internet say that Leopard has trouble with the 1.3.26 engine or newer.

To make an app with an older engine, drag the app you just created to the trash, click the Plus icon in Wineskin Winery, then download/use an older engine to create a new blank wrapper. I'd suggest WS9Wine 1.3.0 to be safe. From there, start at Step 5.

Edited by A.J.

First off : Thank you so much for giving your time and effort and making this tutorial!

Secondly : My whole installation works fine until I hit test run, from there a little white box appears at the top left corner of my mac and the actual game window does not show up. Any thoughts?

Did you go into Advanced and set the correct EXE? That's usually a big one.

Because I didn't have the problem myself, I'm not sure how to fix it. A way you might be able to go around it is to go back to screen options and select "Virtual Desktop" at whatever resolution you want it at.

So I follow your directions word by word. The only difference is that I am using the older version of the 1st Roller Coaster tycoon. (Blue Disk) Once the game installs and the .exe file is set correctly the game starts. However when I click to start a map, it just refreshes the game and will not play any maps... ideas?

Once again, I would suggest going into your application's specific Wineskin, which is located in your home folder > Applications > RollerCoaster Tycoon > "Show Package Contents" > Wineskin, and going into Screen Options and selecting Virtual Desktop at a resolution you would want.

Here are the steps that I use, but the game still does not work. Thank you in advance for your help.

I am Running OS X 10.7.3 & Wineskin Winery 1.5

1. I open up Wineskin Winery and Select the engine WS9Wine1.5.3 and I choose to create a new wrapper, which I call RCT1

2. I choose to cancel the installation of Wine Gecko and I view the wrapper in Finder.

3. I open the wrapper and select screen options where I choose to Override Wine Control of Screen Settings. I have the Override Settings set to "Rootless (windowed)", "Normal Windows", "Force normal windows", "None" for Extra Gamma Correction and "Decorate windows" and "auto Detect GPU Info for Direct3d". I then select "done"

4. I then choose to "Install Software" and then "Choose Setup Executable". I then choose the "Setup.exe" file from the disk. The intall window shows up, and I choose to a "full install" and it starts the 170mb intall.

5. After the install finishes, 3 windows show up. The first one is titled "Wine Explorer", the Second is the game and it asks me to "play", "uninstall" or "exit". The third is "Hasbro Interactive Registation". I close the registration and choose to play the game. The game starts, music and all. Once I get to the Game's homescreen I try selecting a map, however it just sends me back to the main menu. It does make the clicking sound as I am selecting something. Not getting anywhere, I close the game and I get a GSK Exception Trapper message. it Says "Exception Raised - Access Violation" and the description is 000000, 00000000, 0000000, 0000000. I dimiss this message.

6. I go back to the wineskin, and view advance settings and I check what the Windows EXE: file is set as. It is currently set as

/Program Files/Hasbro Interactive/RollerCoaster Tycoon/rct.exe

which I notice is different than yours, so I click on browse and try to find the file that you have listed. I look everywhere, but I cannot find the any files that start with installsheild. I am able to find the RCT.exe file on the disk, but when I choose it, it sends my back to the Hasbro Interactive folder which is in the folder that wine created. (I believe that this may be the problem, but I am not sure)

7. I then try a test run, and once again the game does not work. After closing the game I get asked if I would like to see my test logs. I say yes, and below are the two logs. I have no idea what they mean.

(1st Window)

LastRunX11.log

WineskinX11: main(): argc=12

Waiting for startup parameters via Mach IPC.

WineskinX11: do_start_x11_server(): argc=12

Attempting to use pixel depth of 24

[944428.954] WineskinX11 starting:

[944428.954] X.Org X Server 1.12.99.0

[944428.954] Build Date: 20120410

[944428.955] _XSERVTransmkdir: ERROR: euid != 0,directory /tmp/.X11-unix will not be created.

[944429.020] (II) GLX: Initialized Core OpenGL GL provider for screen 0

(2nd Window)

LastRunWine.Log

fixme:d3d:init_driver_info Unable to find a driver/device info for vendor_id=0x10de device_id=0xa29 for driver_model=2

fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f7dc,0x00000000), stub!

So if you have any ideas on what I am doing wrong, I would be very appreciative. I also tried installing RCT2 using these same steps, but I cannot get that game to run either. I install the game and choose the RCT2.exe, but when I start the game it says to insert disk into the drive. This stumps me because the disk is in the drive.... Ideas? My roommate and I would be grateful for instructions on how to fix either game.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Got it, how stupid of me!

The original RCT didn't work properly on Windows XP, so they released a patch for it. Here's a working download for it.

To install the patch, follow these steps -

Step 1 - download the patch.

Step 2 - browse to your RollerCoaster Tycoon's Wineskin, which is located in your home folder > Applications > RollerCoaster Tycoon > "Show Package Contents" > Wineskin.

Step 3 - click Install Software.

Step 4 - click Choose Setup Executable.

Step 5 - select RCT-US.exe, which is the patch you downloaded.

Step 6 - install the patch like normal.

Yeah, you installed RollerCoaster Tycoon correctly, but since Wineskin is based around Windows XP, there was a bug.

Edited by A.J.

Try going into the Wineskin and setting it to use a Virtual Desktop. I'm not going to say how to do that again, I've said it twice already.

That's all I'm honestly able to tell you, as I haven't had that problem. However, when I installed vanilla RCT2 before I made this tutorial, I set it into Virtual Desktop ahead of time and it worked on the first try.

Edited by A.J.

The RCT3 Mac retail port does not work correctly with Mac OS 10.7 or later.

You can pretty much follow the tutorial step by step to install RCT3 using Wineskin as well! I'm not willing to add an RCT3 revision to the tutorial at this moment, so use at your own risk!

Edited by A.J.

Yeah, for some reason I have encountered a few problems with my own RCT3 Wineskin installation, notably the lack of background music and instability in full-screen mode. No full-screen is okay though because I'd rather work in a window.

Glad to see it might be working out for you!

• 1 month later...

System configuration and/or screenshot? It's a pretty vague problem.

EDIT: Remember that you may have to go into the Wineskin (Command-Click/Two-finger Click/Right Click the app and go to "Show Package Contents") and change the EXE that runs when you start the app to "RCT.exe" or something similar depending on your game.

If for some reason the EXE that you need isn't listed after you install the game, you can manually browse for it by going back and clicking Advanced.

For example, when I installed RCT Deluxe, it didn't find the EXE automatically. So, I needed to browse for it. It was in my home folder > Applications > Wineskin > RollerCoaster Tycoon > Contents > Resources > drive_c > Program Files > Infogrames Interactive > RollerCoaster Tycoon Deluxe > RCT.exe.

Edited by A.J.

Here is the test log

WineskinX11: main(): argc=12

Waiting for startup parameters via Mach IPC.

WineskinX11: do_start_x11_server(): argc=12

Attempting to use pixel depth of 24

[1867489.488] WineskinX11 starting:

[1867489.488] X.Org X Server 1.12.99.0

[1867489.488] Build Date: 20120410

[1867489.489] _XSERVTransmkdir: ERROR: euid != 0,directory /tmp/.X11-unix will not be created.

[1867489.503] (II) GLX: Initialized Core OpenGL GL provider for screen 0

fixme:ntdll:RtlNtStatusToDosErrorNoTeb no mapping for 00000005

I found the .EXE file, like mentioned. Did every single step correctly...wonder why it ain't running.

933022634_Capturedcran2012-07-1001_24_51.thumb.png.f9f059ad6cf2781005d053cb32b88f61.png

Screenshot

What are your screen options, and what version of Mac OS X are you running? Another common problem can be fixed by setting it up to run in a Virtual Desktop. Here's mine, and it works great -

wineskinrct2.thumb.png.58255983572b83c8c51572b130bd4a5b.png

Running Mac OS X 10.7.4.

Edited by A.J.

Just set the screen options like yours, didn't work either. Big black window popped out, but nothing happened.

(It's roller coaster 2, by the way, don't know if it helps).

Running Mac Os X 10.7.4

Hope you can help me !