funkeymon wrote:Okay, um.. This is really unrealistic. The coaster modern coaster hasn't even gone upside down yet, let alone be launched. Either loose the timeline, or come up with something else.
I have edited the story line. I know that the steel coaster had not gone upside down yet - the idea is that Bob is very clever and was coming up with all these crazy ideas. If you both feel it was way too unrealistic, then it is probably best that I change the storyline a bit. Thanks for the criticism anyway as it is always useful.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________The DailyPoint 16th march 1960THE 2nd PART OF A LOCAL ENTREPRENEURS STORY!
When we first set to work on building Crystal Arcade in 1956 we had to decide what we were going to do with the factory and its employees, I came up with the solution that a lot of the workers from the factory could help us with building Crystal Arcade. I planned a meeting that welcomed any former employees of Crystals steel, Unfortunately the meeting didn’t go as planned as 75% of employees said that were not willing to work for me and would find jobs elsewhere as of the remaining 25% most of them were young with little experience in the industry and had only agreed to work because as it was there only source of income. Luckily I still had my dad’s right hand man on my side and my best friend who are both highly skilled at what they do.
This is Paul Rose, my dad’s right hand man he’s now 75 and had a good 50 years experience with crystals steel, he started out in the factory and eventually became more involved in the money side of things for the company. He basically became my dads adviser for everything financially for the business and one of the main reasons my dad made so much money. I was delighted when he said he would help as much as he could with my project as he thought it was very exciting and he is a great asset to have.
This is Monty, My best friend, he seems to be able to solve any problem you put in front of him, he once saved my dad on having to fork out money for brand new equipment for the factory as he was able to work out what was wrong and fix it. Again another great asset to the team and I can see a lot of exciting developments with him at the helm.
Back to the construction of the park, first things first was what we were actually going to do with the factory that still occupied a part of the land I had inherited, originally it was suggested that we demolish the whole thing, and we were going to till Monty suggested that part of it be kept, as it could be used for maintenance, storage and new developments. We ended up knocking about ¾ of the factory down leaving us with this building which was more than enough room for a couple of offices, storage and a maintenance department.
The next step was rides, my favorite part of the whole construction process. I and Paul sat at a table for about 7 hours straight discussing what the best approach to take was concerning rides. My original idea was that all are rides would be made by us and built on sight, Paul came up with a much more financial viable approach in the end, which meant we would try to buy unused rides off traveling fairs. At first I protested to idea as I wanted our rides to be new and original, Paul ran up some costs for me and showed me why it was impossible money wise to carry out that plan. Paul had drawn up a shortlist of rides, most fit under the family category he said we should consider buying. In the end I put Paul in charge of what rides we should chose for the park as i thought it would be easier for Paul to do it himself rather than consulting me for every decision he made.
I was still set on being able to make one ride for my park and although Paul strongly urged me not to, I had to decide to go ahead with it. Both me and Monty got to the drawing board and came up with loads of ideas for rides some completely bizarre ideas, I would love to list all the ideas as I’m sure they’d make many of you laugh, maybe another time. After along time of ideas being thrown around I decided we should design a small family coaster as the park at the moment was aimed at families and as it would be out first ride we had ever made I did not want to be too ambitious. Monty agreed and after a couple of months and 5 engineers working round the clock we had built our first working roller coaster, the feeling of seeing your creation come to life was just amazing.
On the other side of things Paul had done amazing jobs managing to find a lot of rides for relatively good prices. When they arrived at our factory we couldn’t wait to construct them and get them running, a lot of time went into fixing them and on numerous occasions we had to employ more workers as 13 of us was not enough to install 5 rides in a couple of months. Now all the rides are in and the park is nearly ready to be opened and I cannot wait!