TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[RCT3] East Side Lagoon: 1982 - A Stroll Through the Park

Well I've been working on this park for quite a while, infact, I'm already in the 50's with this park! But I figure I'll start off here with some credibility, just so you all don't think I'm a n00b! So I'll start with the beginning, or more so the Star Wars beginning... As the park 'opened' in 1900, and this update is for 1924... So here is my park! Hope you enjoy. I shall update for as long as my computer can take this park!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1924 Welcome to East Side Pleasure Park!

What comes to mind when one thinks of a pleasure park? Is it the sweet smells? The sounds? Perhaps it's the loud rumblings of a gravity railroad as it's clanking wheels rub against its wooden sideboards. Maybe it's the pristine pathways and beautifully trimmed gardens. Any way you look at it, a trip to an amusement park is never a trip to be forgotten. Today we are blessed to have these parks springing up all over the place. But even more is that one of Pittsburgh's finest is right here in our backyard. We welcome you now to the 24th season of the East Side Pleasure Park of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania.

Upon entering the park you are greeted with an array of gardens and trees unlike anything ever seen.

Also in this area is a quaint little eatery called the Snack Bar. While it is called a bar, there is actually no alcohol served in it.

Although the gardens are beautiful, the park also has thrills for the younger folk as well. Including the 1908 side friction contraption known as the Loop-de-Loop. (Formerly it was just called the gravity railroad, but was changed in 1918.) This ride shoots you around a twisting layout providing many dips and turns. We'll come back to this ride a little while later.

One can also grab a bite to eat at the other restaurants at the park. This one is more of a buffet allowing guests to take as they choose, paying for a lunch, and a dinner, for one small fee of 15 cents. This building was modeled after many Arabian buildings of the old days. It is one of the 3 original structures at the park. (See if you can guess the other two!)

While not technically an eatery, people can sit in here as there are bottom level and top level accomodations for guests to sit at a table and enjoy their meals. Not a huge production, it was added to accomadate the growing crowds back in the late teens.

When one needs to use the restroom, the park has isolated facilities.

The owner insisted on having his own private quarters on the grounds. So we built him a shining example of modern architecture for him to enjoy a few years back. It's off limits to guests, but sometimes the wifey will come out and offer some baked goods up to guests! You'd better hope you have lucky timing, they go quick!

Ahh! Here's the owner now! He doesn't like being photographed... He's been here since the beginning. He's 64 years young and helped this park grow up in the past decade. If you're looking for a name, the folks around here just call him Big Al, nobody can be sure of how he got the name, but rumor has it he was quite the hard drinker back in his early days!

Among our newer rides is this marvelous ferris wheel. Built just this past winter by the Allan Herschell Company, for some reason it seems to be a spectators dream. The creaky bolts and heights don't seem to have detered crowds, it's been quite popular!

Ooh how proud we were when we introduced this baby to the public! We built Chase Thru the Clouds as our 20th anniversary present to the town. Built by our areas own John A. Miller, this puppy is mean! Just last year we made it even more mean adding a special section of 'trick-track' right at the end in place of some bunny hills. The guests seem to love it! (Not so much the nurses though!)

It fit nice and snug back in the corner here. It set us back a good $20,000 bucks, but all our troubles were set to rest when we earned $500 before noon on opening day 1920.

It's a real beauty too! Designed to fit right along the lagoon, it goes back into the valley too. Lots of big drops, Miller's always been best at those.

We hope you enjoy your day with us! Be sure to bring money! Most rides are just one ticket.

Edited by grrt

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to TPR-

I have to say that this storyline and park are amongst the finest things I've seen yet on TPR. You are an excellent storyteller- and I hope this series continues on- as I want to see what happens next-

R.D.

One of your Games Forum MODS

Haha thanks guys for the nice words! In case you were wondering, I have a sick love affair with Kennywood, you will be seeing many more references and influences from that park in the near future. The storyline for this park has involved lots of research and I have attempted to create as many period details as I could, as well as having period rides, as rct3 permits. I've put a lot of work into this, and hope it all pays off.

I also have already updated this park on other forums and am going on the year 1928. So with comments I hope that I can update this park much more frequently so I may catch up with the progress I have already made. I'm also hoping that seeing as this is a much more active and large community than I am used to, that I may provide more details to rides and techniques if you are at all interested in knowing them. And perhaps a more in depth storyline.

Very interesting park, how many custom scenery sets/which ones did you use?

Ohh, that's tough. I've used so many custom scenery sets! Mainly shyguy's sets, I use every one on a regular basis, most of Dasmatze's sets, particularly the fences, bigburgers timber, for the Arabian building the roofs have Vodhins Emerald City of Oz. The benches are also Vodhins, as well as the lights, trees and vegetation are primarily by OldSpice, Ralvieh has made sets to fill in odds and ends, as well as the house, but I use his sets extensively as the park goes on. Yoshi's rustic objects have made wood walls much easier, Jerroen made the walls by the bathroom, although I'm not sure if they have been made public yet. There are numerous sets that I use to fill in odds and ends, but I can't remember the exact names, as they aren't commonly mentioned sets. I hope that this helps you in your parks! Oh, and another big thing is Belgabor's invisible doodads, it allows for invisible paths, stalls, and all of that sort, meaning greater customization.

Try and nod off all the cheesy early century dialect!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings! My name is Mr. Merriweather, but you can just call me John. I work with the local newspaper. I've been given the assignment to document this swell place you call the East Side Pleasure Park. I'm hoping with mine and yours help we can get this place some notoriety.

The first thing I'd like to document is that dandy little ride called the Loop-de-Loop. First off I'd like to give you all some history on the ride. This baby was built back in 1908. There was some concern on why the park was trying to raise so many funds. They thought the place was going under. But truth is they were saving up to build this thing. It cost the park $6000. Not much by today's coaster standards, but back then it was a real commitment.

We brought in some of the regions finest carpenters to build this. The master designer is our park's master builder's father. He passed away in the early teens, and his son took over.

The wood is getting pretty old nowadays, but they replace it regularly. Top speed is only about 25 miles an hour, but back in it's heyday it was pretty darn fast!

Gives some nice views of the park. Phew, only the insane put their hands up!

The rides got all sorts of dips. I wouldn't eat before you get on this, plenty of chances to lose your lunch!

This thing is a real beauty in the forest. They don't make rides like this anymore!

Edited by grrt

Like I said, moving right along! Feel free to post criticism. I don't ever take it harshly! Strictly constructively.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We open at my home. I'm 35 years old. My name is Arthur Hopewell. I was sitting on the front porch reading the paper. An ad caught my eye.

"Huh, that sure sounds like a ton of fun! I wonder what the kids will think.. Kids! Get in here!

I've got two kids, both boys, one of age 8, the other of age 7, they came rushing into the room from the kitchen.

"How do you think this sounds? The amusement park? What do you say we have a trip up there this summer?"

"Oh, yes daddy! I heard about that place at school!"

The months went by with little in the ways of bringing it up, then one day, I woke up the kids early one morning.

"Kids, get up, we're going to the park!"

Followed is a half an hour of frantic getting ready by the kids. My wife prepared us the lunch, and about an hour later we headed out.

We are greeted the moment they walk into the park to a beautiful facade for the years new coaster.

What did we do? Well they of course immediately rushed into the line. After about a 10 minute winding line, we boarded our train.

The huge lift hill is ominous and looms like a storm cloud hanging overhead.

They reach the climax of the hill, and after a short turnaround they are plummeting 90 feet towards the ground!

The huge bowl of track is a real bone shaker. The kids, well, let's just say, they endured it!

Phew, lots of jerky turns! The confy cars were a lifesaver!

By the time our trains reached the station again, I felt like puking, but like any good father would do, I headed back into the line with the only

kid wanting to ride again!

Things started winding down after the morning hours. We rode all the other rides at the park, being sure to hit Chase Thru the Clouds and the

Loop-de-Loop first.

No matter where we were here, the Racer's huge lift hill seemed to be visible. What a sight to see!

Gosh, can't get enough of that station! As the day furthered, I found myself sitting at the exit waiting for the kids to get their 6 or so ride on this

beast!

We didn't eat at the restaurants, but they're still gorgeous!

We instead saw ourselves eating at the picnic groves like most of the other families who couldn't afford a pricy lunch and dinner.

Aww this rides simply amazing! We all agreed that whoever designed must be locked up in an asylum somewhere.

I haven´t found critism. But i´d enjoyed the pictures. Your park is so nice. I´m really sorry, because i can´t help you with constructively words neither.

All the green and trees are just at the right place. Your buildings, especially the station from Racer, fits perfectly in your arrangement.

It tooks me into the 19oo century.. AWESOME!

I hope that kind of comments are even ok, i said it, because i honestly think so.

Haha, all comments are good! Interest in the park is what I'd like to see.

A note for this update. This was my first attempt at aged color photographs. You'll see a lot of different effects get used in later updates. Criticism on the editing is also welcome!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gosh, hard to believe it's been a whole year! I'm sure glad to be back though. Seems lots has changed. First off the new entrance is stunning! Much better than the old one which was merely just a stroll through some picnic benches past the parking lot.

Yeah, they've got all new buildings set up. Seems to handle crowds really well!

Phew what is this?!?! Gosh a new parachute jumper. I remember seeing some of these back in the day, but I'm glad East Side got one of these. I asked one of the operators about it, he says the park got it second hand after a park went under after the Great War. Looks to be in great shape though.

I was also glad to see they'd got some restrooms at the front of the park finally. It was sometimes a real pain walking all the way back to Chase Thru the Clouds when you had to go.

Ahh the Racer. just as I remember it! Still looking fabulous with its neon lights.

The center of the park really seems to be the parachute jumper this year. Crowds are showing up just to watch.

This means good business for the Snack Bar!

Gosh there's so many good views of this ride!!

Apart from the parachute jump, most people probably didn't realize that the owners house got a little expansion! It's extra excluded now.. The wife must be getting cranky!

Wow, this area seems to be getting no love! The parks big coaster isn't getting much attention. But frankly, with an unexciting entrance like that and an ugly piece of steel, what can you expect?

Oh, and in case you hadn't noticed. I got a new camera! My job is really treating me well over at the banks, so I decided to splurge on one of those fancy color ones. Expensive, but worth it!

Don't know why I didn't come...I mean, catch this thread.

You have a fantastic-looking project, grrt. Keep it up.

However, it would be wonderful to upload your images as attachments and write your descriptions as captions. That way, if the thread goes by the wayside and isn't commented on for months on end like most project threads do once they're completed, the pictures will still be here and people will still be able to see your work.

Thanks for that suggestion AJ. I had no idea what the attachment things were. I'll try and upload them like that from now on. I've taken a lot of time compressing and putting them in as attachments, but here you go!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gosh, it's been a while! My job's been keeping me away, luckily I've been making lots and lots of money, which means more trips to the park! Infact, I've got another new camera! The old one died on me (already) I managed to get some money selling it, and I figured I'd be better off getting a new camera instead of just doing a temporary fix, anyways, you guys don't care about cameras! On to the night pictures! My camera can actually photograph at night now.

Shot0779.thumb.jpg.0ec295ea69cb2027af65dbf4154be07f.jpg

Who can get this image out of their heads? I've stared at this facade for numerous minutes in my passings, and it still rings with me.

Shot0777.thumb.jpg.f694eef2299db9597ee01d73685d4599.jpg

Oh, and who can forget the magnificent carousel building? It's still got retro lighting on it, being one of the original structures in the park.

Shot0778.thumb.jpg.57c60986388f59fe5ccfa732dd942591.jpg

The snack bar still looks quite nice. And who can forget the Loop-de-Loop in the background? Completes the picture, can't imagine the park without that ride.

Shot0780.thumb.jpg.d55d8e04293bcc110c2b1461e2a5d6ba.jpg

Although unfortunately I'm hearing rumors about the park hating maintaining this thing. Better get your rides in now! You never know what could happen to it..

Shot0776.thumb.jpg.01b7d8f47ea831082164b0abebf48a52.jpg

Ahh the intimidator! I finally got up the guts to go on it, phew! It's really high up! Really fun though.

Shot0781.thumb.jpg.6f9b7a6ec7e0ec3e247633d1792d8aa8.jpg

This building sure feels a bit dated... Sure doesn't make me want to eat there, that's for sure.

Shot0782.thumb.jpg.b4502baf2a02665382b01fb78e878ab3.jpg

This area, on the other hand, looks gorgeous! Especially at night. Shame it has such an eyesore next to it...

Shot0783.thumb.jpg.b0713d6b1701c984fa6b230b0e32e033.jpg

This part of the park sure is empty... It's hard to believe the Racer could take all the Chase Thru the Clouds spotlight!

Shot0775.thumb.jpg.e37b219fd08f3b2ca8f9d46794452817.jpg

I leave you now with a nice shot of the lit up entrance! Lots of memories coming through here...

Edited by grrt