TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Whitlock Gardens [RCT2]

--Just some basic information: This is played on RCT2, with both expansion packs, no custom scenery or anything custom what-so-ever. Everything in the park can and will be found in the core game. This is my very first attempt at a Park Journal, so work with me a little. I will be using Photoshop to enhance images, and effects, and make the pictures more time line accurate. So I hope you all enjoy, because I know I will enjoy doing this for you all.--

April 23rd, 1975.

My grandfather was a stubborn man.

He was born in 1901, the fifth of eight children, and the least social of them all. He stuck to himself really. His name was Albert, Albert Jamison Whitlock. Never stood out in school, nor did he ever participate in anything other than exploring the surrounding forest area of my Great Grandfather's cottage. In fact, he loved to be out doors. He once disappeared for a week in said forest without the slightest mention to anyone. Local police spend 800 man hours searching for him, for him to only turn up back at his home. Boy did he ever get a whipping from my great grandfather.

Anyways, my grandfather was 16 when World War 1 broke out, he enlisted in the newly formed United States Army Air Service, with the help of a forged birth certificate of course. He served admirably, earning 3 Purple Hearts (awards which no one knew about until 1976, when I came upon them at his old cottage on the lake), and refusing to be transported off of front line action after he sustained each injury, one can only imagine that was due to his incredible stubborn nature. He was honorably released from the United States Army Air Service in 1922, earning 22 career kills. He moved out to Arkansas after the war, where he met and married Jane Cullmore in 1923. They produced one child, my father Peter Jamison Whitlock in 1924. He built a cottage near a lake some where in Northern Arkansas just 3 months after his marriage to Jane Cullmore. He also managed to build his own seaplane, however the known location of that same seaplane is entirely unknown to my family and I. The last known family contact with him was in 1950, when I was born. My name is James Francis Whitlock only child of Edith and Peter Whitlock. I don't remember my grandfather, considering the lone time I saw him, I was only a few hours old. My father has very few memories of him as well, saying that my grandfather never shared many stories, and only did what he could to steer my father in the right direction. My grandmother died in 1927, so my father never really knew his mother all that well. When my father turned 18, in 1942 he was drafted to fight in World War two. Instead of joining the Army, he signed himself up for the United States Marines. The day he left, would be the second to last day he would ever see his own father. My father was one of the first Marines on the sands of Normandy, and was there when the Reichstag was claimed by Soviet forces in 1945. After the war my father settled in Ames, Iowa, my hometown.

The only known photograph taken by my grandfather. His lakeside cottage circa 1926.

What's this all mean? Well nothing I suppose, I guess I just like to talk about the man that entrusted me with the most land anyone in this family has seen. I have no idea why he left his lakeside cottage, and surrounding 400 acres to a family member he has only seen for a few hours when I was only a few hours old.. But here I am, the year is 1975, a 25 year old with 400 acres to my name in Northern Arkansas. I have no money, and no idea what to do with the land. My father suggest I sell it. At first I thought why not? However on second thought, I realize this would only insult a man who somehow worked hard enough to secure this plot of land. But with no money I do not have many options... I've always wanted to build, manage, and own an amusement park..

-James Francis Whitlock

Edited by GaryGB

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

--Thanks for the early comments, hope you all enjoy my first update.--

Update #1: The sale

June 4th, 1975.

I have been in contact with the Northwest Arkansas Land Trust, about possibly selling off 250 to 300 acres of the land that I had inherited from my departed grandfather. The Northwest Arkansas Land Trust offered me $100 an acre, and with the position I'm in, wanting to build an amusement park with no money is well... impossible. I've decided to sell off 250 acres of land, and I stand to make $25,000 on the deal. I've never seen so many zero's on a check in my life. They were kind enough to provide me a aerial tour of the land they were purchasing, and the land I stood to keep on which I could develop my future brain child.

Here's the southern woodlands, with a partial shot of Lake Whitlock's beach, Lake Whitlock itself, and the naturally formed Island I have named "Lookout Island".

Here is Lake Whitlock where at one time my grandfather's seaplane called home, and my grandfather's Lakeside cottage.

Ugh sorry about this shot, this camera is really out of date! However from what you can see, this is the northern woodland with shot of the beach and my grandfather's cottage.

And finally...uh..erm I seem to have lost the last picture! Oh well! It's just a bunch of tree's anyways.. However it will be the starting point of my park, so once construction is underway, I'll be more than happy to update you all on the progress being made. I have already consulted top architect's from the area, and ground breaking is set for a month from now. I have already put together a rough sketch of what I want from this park, I simply cannot wait to share my dream with all of you.

-James Francis Whitlock

--Thank you all for the kind words, it really helps me stay focused on the task(s) ahead, I hope you all enjoy this update. And of course, if there any questions, comments, or concerns, please share them!

Update #2: The Groundbreaking

July 29th, 1975

The day has finally arrived! Construction has begun! It took crews a mere 2 weeks to complete Whitlock Gardens' parking lot and entrance building. As you all have seen from my previous pictures, there is a lot of forest surrounding the area. I took advantage of the situation presented to me. I had signed a contract with Arkansas Basin Lumber Co. in which every ton of forest they harvest from my property, they will pay me $8.95. Also included in the deal is that they will supply my theme park with any and all it's lumber needs. How great is that! Things are taking off! Not only do I eliminate cost on a common commodity, I also make money more that I can put towards building the park. Anyways, I've snapped some pictures for you all. Enjoy!

Here's the main entrance building, the flower gardens seem fitting for a park that is to be named Whitlock Gardens.

The parking lot, and entrance building, hopefully a year from now, that parking lot will be packed!

Construction crews head to their sites to start work on the park, ground has been broke, and I'm as anxious as ever!

Hmmm, I wonder what's going here?? Such a big plot of land to clear for one thing..

What is a amusement park without... an administration office! Workers have brought in construction pieces for our main administrative offices. No park can run smoothly without white collar desk dwellers!

Area has been cleared, and flora has been planted for what I hope to be the iconic "Whitlock Gardens Carousel".

Lastly, landscaping has begun and track has been moved in for the park's feature coaster, I wonder what type of coaster it will be? I wonder what name I have in store for it!

Well friends, until next time, things are going smoothly, and I cannot wait to update you all on the park's progress. Maybe next time we see each other, I'll have full progress pictures to show you all.

-James Francis Whitlock

Edited by GaryGB

--Thank you all for the positive feedback so far.--

Update #3: Anton Schwarzkopf

September 18th, 1975

Hello again, everyone! I have some exciting news (well news for all of you!) The construction of Whitlock Gardens' first roller coaster has finished. Judging by my update title, you all should know the designer. The famed Anton Schwarzkopf agreed to design a "Speedracer" style type of roller coaster for the park 4 months ago. With the track design complete, all that is left to do for the ride is to complete the station and surrounding landscaping and theme. With a max speed of 40 mile per hour, towering 60 feet in the air, the ride features a first drop of 32 feet, at a 35 degree angle. The coaster will utilize the surrounding landscape to add a thrill unlike any other. Surely to be a family favorite. At just over 3,100 feet in length it is sure to provide quite the ride! I'll provide some more pictures of the roller coaster it's self, along with the rest of the park in my next update, which should be sometime VERY soon! As for the Schwarzkopf coaster's name, well that's going to be my little secrete..until opening day, May 25th, 1976. See you at the park!

And don't forget to stay tuned for more from Whitlock Gardens!

-James Francis Whitlock

Edited by GaryGB

--Nothing much to say, I have a big update today for all those who follow this thread. I'm inching closer and closer to opening day, the more I do this, and see the results from the work I put in, the easier it becomes to spend time on this park Just have one question for all of you: When you get to the photo's of Whitlock Gardens' first coaster, do you think I should scale back the usage of trees around the coaster? I would love to hear from you all.--

Update #4: Focusing on the details

November 28th, 1975

Oh boy, how far this area has come from a desolate forest to a area of busy construction workers, buildings, amusement rides, and a finely made roller coaster. The bulk of the construction is nearing completion, the administrative offices have been completed, along with Whitlock Cafe, and Souvenirs. We have also completed construction on the Whitlock Gardens Carousel. Along with additions of scenery, garden elements, trees, and various necessities for our guests, the park is well on it's way to meet it's May 25th opening. We have 3 more rides to complete, and various stalls and amenities to add to the park.

The centerpiece of the midway, the Whitlock Gardens Carousel, was designed and built by noted carousel designer, Marvin Sylvor. His woodworking mastery really shows in each and every carousel he designs, and our carousel is no exception. The work and detail put into every single inch of the carousel is breath taking. I couldn't be happier with the result of the work Mr. Sylvor put into our carousel.

Anyways, on to the pictures!

Here's a photo of the finished Whitlock Whizzer, a Speedracer Schwarzkopf design, the utilization of the landscape is amazing, each turn gives you the impression of an imminent collision with the surround trees.

The first drop and turn around.

The Whizzer utilizing it's surround landscape to perfection!

The brake run, and transfer track. In the back of the picture you will see the Whizzer's second speed hill.

The Whitlock Gardens Carousel, and surrounding theming.

The finished administrative offices, capable of housing over 1,000 employees, when and if needed. Amenities include: a fully stocked buffet, an cafeteria capable of seating 500, various lounges, and spacious offices, with great views of Whitlock Gardens.

The Whitlock Gardens Cafe, serving All-American favorites such as freshly grilled hamburgers and hot dogs, crinkle cut fries, fresh Pizza, vanilla and chocolate shakes, and over 8 soft drink choices. The eating patio on the roof of the cafe gives a nice view of the Whitlock Whizzer in action.

Need a memento, or perhaps a gift for a loved one? The Whitlock Gardens Souvenirs is the place for you. Whether it's a Whitlock Gardens shirt, hat, or sunglasses, we have what you need!

Finally an overview of Whitlock Gardens! You can see the two new areas where the undertaking of construction is about to begin near the Whitlock Garden's Carousel.

Well my friends that is all for now! I hope you enjoy the progress on the park, I hope to see you all at the park 6 months from now! And as always feel free to share your opinions, thoughts and ideas! Until next time!

-James Francis Whitlock

Looks really good so far, I like the layout of the coaster. 2 things though:

- The carousel is a huge eyesore in my opinion, the blue tents around it seem to clash with the rest of the area. Also I've never been a fan of the double decker carousel in RCT2, I personally think it's kinda tacky and doesn't flow well with the rest of the games objects, but that's just me.

-The station for the Whizzer could use a little something more to spruce it up, it seems kind of boring right now.

Everything else looks great, keep it up!

In the first picture it almost looks like there are shrubs/trees inside the building. I would suggest using different land colors to set the buildings on (rock, or mud) to help define the space they occupy.

The coaster turned out great, and I am on the fence with the carousel at the moment. You chose the double version and you cannot change it's color and it is very colorful as-is. So you would think the area needs to be colorful also, but then again it really can stand on it's own without any type of color surrounding it. Some clean grass and nice shrubs around it instead of tents and flowers might be the way to go. I am going to have to wait till I see what kinds of structures you place in the area before I really can say I am liking or not liking what you have already done.

--Again thanks for all the feedback I have received,the more vocal you guys are the better I learn. I agree with the sentiment that the Carousel stuck out like a sore thumb with it's surround theme, so I changed it up a bit, and I think it worked well.

Update #5: Two additions

January 11th, 1976

Whew, has it ever been bust around here! But things are coming to a head, we added two new rides to Whitlock Gardens, a standard Twist, and Ferris Wheel, both designed and built by the Eli Bridge Company, were added to the park for those seeking thrills, but not the high thrill experience guaranteed to be delivered by the Whilock Whizzer! The Ferris Wheel (dubbed Big Wheel) sits in it's own entrance plaza, at the peak of the ride you get a nice view of the surrounding woodlands, and a good view of Lookout Island. Quite the site to behold! The Twist, which I have named "Scrambler" provides quite an exhilarating experience! Whirling throughout the ride in a heavy wooded area is amazingly fun. I snapped some pictures for you all.

Here's a shot of "Scrambler", as you can see the surrounding woods only add to the ride experience. The exit traverses through the newly built "Lakeside Cafe".

Here is the Lakeside Cafe, serving up home style favorites such as fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, and other favorites.

He's the "Big Wheel Plaza", a good place to get away to relax, and enjoy the views Whitlock Gardens has to offer.

The remodeling of the "Whitlock Gardens Carousel" has been completed, giving it a much "cleaner" feeling then before.

Here is a nice overview of Whitlock Gardens, nearing completion for opening day, May 25th, 1976. Just a little over 4 months until then!

I leave you all with a shot of Whitlock Gardens' main attraction, the "Whitlock Whizzer". I hope to see you all on it on opening day!

That is all for now friends! With just over 4 months until opening day the last legs of completing my amusement park is underway, hiring of necessary employees is nearing completion, I couldn't be more excited. I know my grandfather would be proud.

-James Francis Whitlock

Edited by GaryGB