TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Official RCT/RCT2 Help Thread

RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 was designed for 4:3 ratio (almost square) monitors, so that's why everything seems stretched out. Yours is probably 16:9 (widescreen) or 16:10.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes... it's possible, but not easy.

If you don't mind losing your rides and re-building them but keeping the trees and scenery (or in this case since it's a SFA re-creation... your un-mowed grass and huge paths with no shade, trees or scenery) you can use the scenario editor.

Otherwise if you're savvy (which I'm not) you can do a little hex editing. Here is a great thread on it on New Element.

Yes... it's possible, but not easy.

If you don't mind losing your rides and re-building them but keeping the trees and scenery (or in this case since it's a SFA re-creation... your un-mowed grass and huge paths with no shade, trees or scenery) you can use the scenario editor.

Otherwise if you're savvy (which I'm not) you can do a little hex editing. Here is a great thread on it on New Element.

I am fine losing the rides, I have saved all the layouts for coasters. I spent a good chunk of the time doing the entrance, so I would like to save the scenery. I assume I should use the "convert saved game to scenario," which I looked at doing, but it seems that I could only change the goals and such... or am I missing something? I'll look at it again when I have time, been very busy with schoolwork lately and when I finally had a few hours yesterday to work on designs I was disappointed when I saw the scale was just a tad small to fit Superman in the correct place. Otherwise Joker's Jinx and Wild One would be off. But anyway, thanks for replying and when I have the time I'll try that option again to see if I'm missing anything.

You can't change anything when converting a saved game to a scenario. You just make a scenario with a goal for yourself or others to achieve, as if it were one of the scenarios Chris Sawyer created for the game.

As far as going into the scenario editor to add more room to the map, you might have a problem keeping everything the way you have it now. The sandbox mode starter orients the map in the scenario editor as if the point facing you if you scroll to the right as the southeast corner of your park. So that bottom edge going from there to the left is the south edge of the park, and then left is west, farthest away from you is north, and the right edge is east. When you add more room to a park, the game expands to the south and east. This might mess up your entrance plaza depending on where you have the map oriented in your scenario. You'll find out once you expand the map out, but I've used smaller maps for a couple parks then run out of room like you did. When I expanded the map, it totally messed up how I wanted the park to look and I had to start all over. You might get lucky if you want the expansion to occur in a certain area and you have the map oriented so that where you want the extra land is EXACTLY where it gives you more. Like if you have the entrance to your park on the western edge and the room you need is to the right side you'll be okay. But if your entrance is on either the southern or eastern edges of the map and you want to expand to the north or west, you will have to adjust your entire park that many spaces to the south or east.

Once you take a landscape file, either custom made by you or already existing in Chris Sawyer's selections, from a scenario or saved game file into the scenario editor, all the already placed rides, food service stalls, souvenir stalls, first aid rooms, and information kiosks disappear. I think you already agreed that you knew THAT would happen when you stated that you had all the track files saved so you could just add them back in, right? The scenery and all the paths that you have already placed will remain on the landscape when you go into the editor. The pre-selected rides and scenery from an existing save or scenario are in the game editor, and if you haven't maxed-out the number of a particular type of object (ride/shop, small scenery object, wall, etc.) you can add rides/objects that you forgot in your original recreation. Any custom user created ride that you have downloaded to your computer in your objdata folder will be available to add to your modified scenario if you forgot originally or if you downloaded that ride since your original version of the park. You just have to go back to the object selection page in the scenario editor to add it to your park.

If you start from scratch in a larger map you will have to go through the entire scenario creation process, so even if it's a huge headache you should take that saved game/scenario of your park and redo all the scenery because you have all the ride, shop, and scenery files that you want for your recreation. If you do have to alter where everything is in the new recreation due to the expanded map being opposite where you want the new land to be, you might want to save it twice so you can use one version to create the new park and the other as a reference guide for where and how you want everything placed.

Once you take a landscape file, either custom made by you or already existing in Chris Sawyer's selections, from a scenario or saved game file into the scenario editor, all the already placed rides disappear. I think you already agreed that you knew THAT would happen when you stated that you had all the track files saved so you could just add them back in, right? The scenery and all the paths that you have already placed will remain on the landscape when you go into the editor. The pre-selected rides and scenery from an existing save or scenario are in the game editor, and if you haven't maxed-out the number of a particular type of object (ride/shop, small scenery object, wall, etc.) you can add rides/objects that you forgot in your original recreation. Any custom user created ride that you have downloaded to your computer in your objdata folder will be available to add to your modified scenario if you forgot originally or if you downloaded that ride since your original version of the park. You just have to go back to the object selection page in the scenario editor to add it to your park.

If you start from scratch in a larger map you will have to go through the entire scenario creation process, so even if it's a huge headache you should take that saved game/scenario of your park and redo all the scenery because you have all the ride, shop, and scenery files that you want for your recreation. If you do have to alter where everything is in the new recreation due to the expanded map being opposite where you want the new land to be, you might want to save it twice so you can use one version to create the new park and the other as a reference guide for where and how you want everything placed.

Thanks for the help. I went ahead and created a new 256 x 256 custom scenario and saved all the scenery along with a few separate coasters traversing along the sides of the buildings and landscaping, then placed those accordingly in the new scenario. Once I clicked all the scenery to save with the track file, it was a breeze just placing it in the new scenario. It only took about 15 minutes to place everything back into the new scenario once it was created, so I am back to the point I had been, only with a larger map with space to accurately depict the layout and coasters. Thank you for all the help!

I hope I helped and didn't just add to the confusion of your problem. Sorry, but I seem to write like a confusing technical manual sometimes. It makes perfect sense to me, but leaves the reader cold.

Oh no, it made perfect sense! Thanks so much for the help!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know if it's possible to design a custom scenario for RCT1 rather than RCT2? There doesn't seem to be an option for it in the version I have (the Deluxe edition, which as far as I know has already been nerfed quite a bit to stop people from playing the game with trainers, but I don't think removing the scenario editor would be practical at all)

I've been having trouble saving custom coaster designs. I've tried both in coaster designer (I think that's what it's called) and in a working scenario. It seems that it has only been this way since I installed 8cars 1.302. Has anyone had this problem?

Can you describe it in more detail?

Sure...

After finishing testing a new coaster I designed, (I've tried this in both the designer and in game scenario), I clicked the save track design button. It is fine until that point, when you would usually see the save screen that lists all current coasters by name. Now, it does nothing, as if the button were disabled. I know it is not disabled because not only it is not greyed out (indicating unavailability), but it allows me to select scenery to save with the design. Once I do that, the save screen never appears, and I don't get the "click" sound that indicates it was saved.

I had A LOT of custom rct tracks saved on my last computer, and I noticed the last few dozen it would take a long time for the track to save once I hit the save track button. Is it possible you've hit the limit for the number of tracks the game will save? I know if you have too many of a particular type of scenery object, small specifically fills up the fastest, the scroll feature freezes up on the game and you can't scroll down past whatever that first segment on the page is to choose items in the scenario editor. Maybe you could save some of your custom tracks that you don't use frequently in your parks (or ones you downloaded from other sources) to another file folder outside your rct files to see if that lets you save new tracks again.

Can you describe it in more detail?

Sure...

After finishing testing a new coaster I designed, (I've tried this in both the designer and in game scenario), I clicked the save track design button. It is fine until that point, when you would usually see the save screen that lists all current coasters by name. Now, it does nothing, as if the button were disabled. I know it is not disabled because not only it is not greyed out (indicating unavailability), but it allows me to select scenery to save with the design. Once I do that, the save screen never appears, and I don't get the "click" sound that indicates it was saved.

Try finding the directory your tracks are stored in, click on "properties" and if read only is checked, uncheck it.

If that doesn't do it I have no idea what's going on.

• 1 month later...

Make them one long moebius track like The Racer at Kennywood. 2 stations side by side, each with its own entrance and exit, a block brake at the end of the final brake run before each station, and 2 chain lifts will give you 6 block sections and allow 5 trains. In order to get the trains to line up and race choose 4 trains and cycle 1 through the ride, closing the ride as needed, then pairing trains up with the synchronize with adjacent station button, then closing the ride again as needed, until you can get 1 train in each station and 1 train on each brake run. Then make sure you have the synchronize with adjacent station button activated when you open it.

The easiest way to make the ride moebius is to have both tracks do a 180 degree turn out of the stations and then have the tracks meet up for the lift hill like American Eagle at SF Great America, but then to follow their courses side by side for the rest of your design. I personally did a moebius racer like Gemini at Cedar Point but at the end I had the tracks cross over/under each other and end up in the opposite station. Another interesting way to do a moebius racer/dueler would be to make the stations adjacent but face the opposite direction and make a ride like Twisted Twins at Kentucky Kingdom, just have them finish in the opposite station where you started.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got a new computer with Windows8, so I can answer your question. I have to run rct2 in compatibility mode for XP on my new computer. Before I set compatibility mode for an older version of Windows the graphics would wave across the screen. I didn't have the crashes and freezes that you're having, but I hope you can go into your settings - maybe someone else could give you the specifics - and play the game in compatibility with a former version of Windows.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All - I'm new to the board! Sorry if this isn't posted in the right place - but I didn't want to create a whole new thread, and I figured that I was technically asking a question which could be construed as asking for help?

I found a picture of Alpine Adventures, where one of the guys on here had created a suspended coaster station/ride, and began reading the forum from there - some of the park designs that people have made are SENSATIONAL!! Good work all round.

My question is - with those parks where double/triple width or plaza type paving is used, do these parks 'work' as a game, or do the peeps constantly complain about being lost and just walk round in circles?

I have a reasonable understanding about 'decision points' in the game - but a big plaza style paving is surely just a massive area of decision points - and in my experience, peeps just walk round and round in circles never actually going in a consistent direction.

Are there ways that people have found to circumnavigate this issue? Or are those parks built PURELY for aesthetics, to showcase on the forum, rather than to be used as a functional park?