TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR's Game Forum Posting Rules, Guidelines and Etiquette!

Hey everyone!

This is the super-gigantic thread that contains all the games-forum specific rules. Click each link to be directed specifically to its post in this thread.

General Forum Rules (this post)

Games Forum Posting Rules

Games Forum Etiquette

Games Forum Tidbits

ALL MEMBERS should also abide by the Theme Park Review Terms of Service.

Got it? Great! Here we go...

Lately we've been having some issues with posts that have been created on the forum, especially from some of our younger members. I know we have a lot of new users, and I know all of you are very anxious to post about your favorite hobby. We want everyone to feel they can post as much as possible and let your comments, stories, opinions, trip reports, etc be heard. However...

When posting to TPR please try to keep the following in mind:

1. Be Descriptive! Your topic title and your description should give some DETAILED information about what your topic is about! Chances are, more people will click on your topic and give you feedback.

2. Use the "search" function. If you are posting about a news item or something of high importance ask yourself "could this possibly have been posted already?", like "Six Flags Astroworld is closing", chances are, it probably has. So do a search first.

3. SPELL CHECK YOUR POSTS!!!! There is a completely FREE spell checker available with the Google toolbar. A typo here and there is completely acceptable. We all are guilty of this. But when someone can't READ your post due to bad spelling, grammar, lack of capitalization, etc, that's a problem. If you aren't a good speller (and I totally admit I would be lost without my spellchecker) download it now: http://toolbar.google.com/

4. Do NOT use "internet shorthand" - Use the proper and complete spelling of words. Do not shorten "you" to "u", etc. You're not messaging on a cell phone, you're typing on a computer. You have a full sized keyboard in front of you - USE IT!

5. Do not post for posting sake. What does this mean? If all you do is respond back to posts saying "Yeah, me too" or "I agree" or "Thanks!" you are not adding anything to the conversation. If you do this every once in a while, that's ok, but we have users here that seem like all they are doing is trying to post as much as possible to increase their post count. Well, there is no prize for having high post count, so please, only respond if you have something to add to the conversation.

6. Don't be "annoying" - For example, if you see that the "fart thread" has been closed, for reasons like "This was funny for a day, and now it's just stupid" don't start ANOTHER "fart thread." In short, annoying members will end up being banned.

Overall, we're not trying to be mean or strict, but the fact is that we now have over 6,000 registered members, and we need to keep the quality of the board at a high level. We don't delete, edit, or close posts very often, but we will have to if these simple rules are not followed.

So let's review.....

Theme Park Reviews Forum Posting Rules:

1. Be descriptive!

2. Use the search function.

3. Spell check your posts.

4. Do NOT use "internet shorthand."

5. Do not post for posting sake.

6. Don't be "annoying."

Finally,

DO NOT RESPOND TO SPAM! - If you see SPAM on the boards, do NOT respond to it, do not link to it, do not do ANYTHING with it. The mods will delete it shortly. If you see a SPAM thread that has been up for an extended amount of time (more than two hours as an example), use the "report post" button to alert the moderators. DO NOT use the "report post" button for ANY OTHER REASON! If you respond to a spam thread, or use the report post button for any other reason, you may be given a temporary ban for 24 hours.

If everyone can follow these rules, it will make Theme Park Review a better place!

Thanks again for all your support!

--Robb

Edited by A.J.

• 7 years later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are some general posting rules for the games forum! Showcasing games projects is a little bit different than discussing your favorite theme park, so let's get some things ironed out. Note that some of these rules are repeats from the post above, and that is intentional.

1.) Don't double/triple post. You must wait a minimum of 24 hours to post directly after your own post. No exceptions. If you have an update to your thread, edit your last post and add it on. That's what the 'Edit Post' button is for.

2.) Use spell check and appropriate grammar. The moderators don't like playing the english teacher game! It's not that difficult to know to read your post, and check for capitalization, punctuation, grammar, and spelling. Do so. You will make your life easier - and avoid either a suspension or a ban. This also includes common mistakes such as using the wrong form of to/too/two or lose/loose among others, and proper use of apostrophes.

Example: "wat is that i like it" should be "What is that? I like it."

3.) No single/double/triple word posts. This should be relatively easy: Don't do it. If you are simply trying to boost up the number of posts, you're doing nothing but asking for a suspension - or a ban. If you like somebody's post: Comment on it. Tell them what you think of it. Describe what you like about it. Using a smiley or related and then hitting 'post' is NOT acceptable.

Examples: "That's great!" or "I hate that" are not acceptable.

4.) Guidelines for thread content. There has been some confusion as to how much content should be included in a new thread or an update post. To that end, let us clarify -

• To post a new project thread or provide an update warranting a bump to an old one, you must include three pieces of media, such as three in-game screenshots.
  • If you are working on something and only want to show one or two images, please use the appropriate "Preview Thread".

RCT and RCT2 Projects Preview Thread
    RCT3 Projects Preview Thread
    NoLimits and NoLimits 2 Projects Preview Thread
    Other Projects Preview Thread (K'nex, Inventor, etc)

For those of you who are forum veterans, this is a change. We made this change so that great projects aren't lost in the hodgepodge that is the original Preview Thread. This way, creators from each game can get much more focused coverage for their projects.

So, in short - less than two images, find the preview thread. Three or more, start a new thread or update your old one.

Example: Occasionally, I will have made a really small and detailed area in my RCT2 game, but I want to showcase it in my own "work" thread. What do I do? I would take three screenshots of the area, each at different rotation angles. Then, I would crop them down to a small resolution such as 640x480, and black out the areas I don't want people to see. That way, I can show off my small area from all angles, and still have three good screenshots to update my thread with.

We're being cool but serious here - Theme Park Review takes pride in the fact that the discussions we have in our threads are all written and thought out properly.

We hope that the rules have been presented a little more clearly and a little less harshly. We understand that creators in RCT and NoLimits like to make things very detailed and presentable, and we also understand how a "work" thread is equivalent to an "art gallery" of sorts. However, we don't like bumping of old threads unless it's absolutely necessary - which is why we decided to make more focused preview threads for players from each game to show off their work in.

Thanks go to R.D. (QueerRudie) for writing the original text of this post.

Edited by A.J.

Next, while these aren't actual rules, here is some "Games Forum Etiquette" to make sure your threads get maximum exposure.

1. When creating a thread for your park or rides, preface it with the proper game in which it was created in the Subject line.

[NL] = NoLimits

[NL2] = NoLimits 2

[ORCT2] = OpenRCT2 (Open Roller Coaster Tycoon 2)

[PKT] = Parkitect

[RCT] = RollerCoaster Tycoon

[RCT2] = RollerCoaster Tycoon 2

[RCT3] = RollerCoaster Tycoon 3

[RCTM] = RollerCoaster Tycoon Mobile

[RCTW] = RollerCoaster Tycoon World

[TPS] = Theme Park Studio

Example: If I have an RCT3 park called "Vista Point Park", my thread title would be "[RCT3] Vista Point Park".

The reasoning behind this is for searches. If you search "[NL]", all of the properly named NoLimits threads will be listed. It will make finding threads related to each game easier to find. Get it? Good!

2.) Be descriptive. The better your thread is, the more comments you'll receive on it. Well thought out threads, and good pictures always get you more views, rather than something slapped together haphazardly.

3.) Don't post links to your website unless you have over 50 posts in the Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys forum. It's against the Terms of Service of TPR, and we're able to check! We've seen a bunch of new users, or infrequent posters, linking to their site, or some other Game Forum. If you're willing to share a link to your project with us, you must be willing to share the entire project on our forum!

4.) If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it. Attitude in this Forum will not be accepted. There are constructive ways of stating you opinion. "It sucks" will not be tolerated. These are all games being discussed, and everyone plays for different reasons. Belittling other members will get you a 24 Hour Ban immediately.

5.) If you post a thread that fulfills one of the Sticky Threads, it will be moved without warning into the proper sticky thread. Please check the stickies.

Example: "I can't install RCT3 custom scenery" would be moved into the RCT3 help thread.

6.) Have fun! The mods are here to keep things moving along. Not cause anyone grief. We enjoy looking at your creations as much as everyone else.

Thanks go to Matt (mcjaco) for writing the original text of this post.

Edited by A.J.

Finally, here are some Games Forum Tips and Tidbits to help you out.

If you play RCT2...

We've noticed that a lot of RCT2 players in the Games forum forget to do a VERY important thing before they post their parks - EXPORT your custom scenery with your park!

example_1_0.jpg.5b493d25e18aa5b4bf906d0c3c6e2521.jpg

This is, once again, VERY IMPORTANT! If you use custom scenery in your RCT2 park, make sure you click the "Options" button and check that tiny little box at the bottom of the window called, "Export plug-in objects with saved games". If you don't check that box, very few people will be able to see that park you worked your whole teenage life on! That box sets RCT2 up so the objects you have in your park are installed on other players' RCT2 games when your park is opened by them!

HOWEVER...this does NOT work with custom rides! You MUST include ALL custom rides in your download! That means...ZIP it up! Put your park (with plug-in objects EXPORTED), and whatever custom rides you have in your park in a .ZIP or .RAR file!

If you play RCT3...

Have you noticed that RCT3 doesn't automatically install custom scenery like RCT2? If you haven't, you should!

Because RCT3 parks will open if custom scenery is missing, it is not as large of an issue to include all of your custom scenery in your download. HOWEVER...it is HIGHLY suggested to include a list of all custom scenery/ride packs that either are in your Style > Themed folder OR that are in your park itself.

DO NOT simply take a picture of your Style > Themed folder and post it to TPR! The developers of the custom content that YOU used use abbreviations and acronyms in the Style > Themed folder because the game recognizes the content either way. In order for the community to be able to tell what content you used in your park, you MUST be able to tell them to the fullest extent of your knowledge so that they can simply do an internet search and find it.

REMEMBER that custom scenery and custom rides are in TWO DIFFERENT FOLDERS as well!

If you play NoLimits...

If your track has 3DS in it (and that INCLUDES the CoasterSims park pack), you MUST put your track in a .NLPACK file with ALL the 3DS! Do NOT simply say "uses the park pack" and be done with it! If YOU want the community to see the track that YOU put all your effort into, put some more effort in and present it properly.

No matter which game you play...

When you've finished a project and want to show it off, UPLOAD IT to the Theme Park Review Game Exchange! We'd love to host it for you! It's quick and easy, and you don't even have to make a separate login name for it.

You can also post a Game Exchange upload directly from the forum by scrolling down to where your attachments are and clicking the "Game Exchange" tab!

If you choose to upload the normal way through the Game Exchange, make sure that you ALWAYS provide a link and a screenshot to go with it! A link to the Game Exchange with a screenshot is a valid reason to bump your thread!

Thanks everyone! Have fun!