The Model Cyclone Racer - Photo essay

Discussion on building of a classic wooden wonder.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Upload files from No Limits, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc...
Discuss CoasterDynamix, KNEX Models, and more random stuff!
the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Re: Art of the Cyclone Racer - NEW VIDEO and MOVING PARTS!

Postby hillflyer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:35 pm

Hi Everyone.

I am so happy and thrilled to report that last night I obtained my crowdfund through AIM/Hatchfund minimum goal of $3000. As of this writing I have $3037.25 guaranteed! Soon I will be able to go all out on building a 1/54 scale model of the Cyclone Racer.

This campaign has proven that my work is not in vein. It has also demonstrated my strong will to want to build this thing that I have the drive to do what it takes to get there. 52 people made contributions, none of them came from TPR naturally, but I suppose more people would be interested if I did point-and-click art.

With my success comes a 30 day extension to try and reach my stretch goal $5000. There is no pressure for me to do this and the outcome has no ill effect on the current status of my grant.

After filling out some paper work, I should start getting something soon! Anyone who selected a perk will receive them shortly thereafter.

Watch for updates!
Hatchfund winner.png
I'm 101% funded with one day left! My campaign gets to be open for another 30 days so I can reach my stretch goal of $5000. Wit that amount of money, I can make the pier and have the Cyclone Racer model light up and maybe even operate so some extent.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: Art of the Cyclone Racer - Funding SUCCESSFUL!

Postby CoasterB » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:25 pm

So chuffed you reached your goal! so excited for the rest of the project, i'v watch a few videos on youtube from the model looking forward to seeing more. And if you get a train to run on the track then my mind will be blown! :)
My Top Coasters - Kingda Ka, El Toro, Nemesis, Shambhala, Taron, Expedition Geforce, X2, Tatsu, Twisted Colossus, Wodan, Troy
Last Park visited: Phantasialand - Next Park Visit: ?Hansa Park?

ImageImage

Re: Art of the Cyclone Racer - Artistic Grant AWARDED!

Postby hillflyer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:30 pm

Hi everyone. I already got my Christmas present as far as I'm concerned! I couldn't be more happy that I can continue with building the Model Cyclone Racer in earnest.

The campaign is not over! While I will be the successful recipient of at least $3137, I still have the opportunity to raise enough to meet my maximum of $5000 (63% there) by the end of the year. There are no repercussions if I don't make it and I will still receive all money donated until the end of the month. I love that I don't have to be so aggressive in trying to raise the rest of it.

So! I've updated the sign in the back of my car and now parking in prime high-traffic parking spots.

These past few nights I've been trying to develop an efficient routine for making 20 trellis for the station house. I'll probably make 30 of these and pick the best ones.

I also threw in some photos of my mechanical drawings for building a new and improved working brake release system.
Hatchfund car 60.jpg
I qualify for my Grant and can keep adding to it until the end of the year.
Hatchfund car 60 dist.jpg
Strategically parked - got to work early to snap up the most prime exposed parking space. Later this afternoon this area will be jammed with cars and people.
CR station rear marked.png
In case you didn't notice, I am starting this project off by first building the classic station house. Pieces that require multiple copies will need a template. Roof trusses and the Victorian lattice work that run down each side are examples. Here is the exit deck of the Cyclone Racer...in early years from the look of it.
CR template lattice.jpg
To make the lattice work, I figured out the proper spacing between the slats.
CR Template lattice strips.jpg
Template offers guides to keep the slats aligned properly.
CR trellis.jpg
Add on the top and bottom frame, the sides too, although not added yet.
CR trellis done.jpg
Finished trellis. 19 more to go!
CR plan brake release.jpg
Mechanical drawing of release brakes
CR plan brake release top.jpg
Top view
CR plan brake release side.jpg
Side view of brake release section (not complete)

"CACTUS SHARP!!"

Postby COASTER FREAK 11 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:00 pm

Great to see that you have the funding! Can't wait ti see this thing fly!

The Model Cyclone Racer - NEW CONCEPT

Postby hillflyer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi everyone.

I was waiting for one of those inspiring moments that sort of fill in this puzzle I'm putting together...not in so much this roller coaster model per se, but in my head - the reason, the purpose, all kinds of questions have to be answered before I could feel like I had a good excuse to forge forward with this project.

For example, I've been busting my A$$ trying to make a workable station house. One the trains can actually roll through and a brake system that works. On paper, I have a design that will allow the transfer tables to shift trains.

One mistake I made, is I pre-cut too many carefully measured pieces that, when all connected together, don't fit the way I planned. So I have a new way of approaching that and I'm still working getting the skid brakes to operate - basically don't get too ahead of myself.

Last night I think I figured something out. In the back of my mind I know this model will not actually operate. So I’ve been struggling with trying so hard to make it so that station house works, I mean, if the coaster might not operate, than why work so hard on the station?

Then I realized I could at least make a working SECTION of the model that I can use to help Larry Osterhoudt rebuild the actual coaster. I think it might be fun to have the trains race out of the station to the lift hill (don’t ask me yet if they will climb partially, I don’t know.) The rest will come later.

So the promo piece will be the station, the 180 degree horseshoe turn above and half of each of the two lift hills.
Read the descriptions in the photos below. LOOK FOR THE HIDDEN TRIVIA QUESTION. The first person to answer the question will get a free Cyclone Racer pen!
IMG_20161210_173524735.jpg
Having so many precut pieces did not end as well as I hoped.
IMG_20161221_162431061.jpg
Plans I drew for the exit stairs between Side A and B
IMG_20161219_205105830_HDR.jpg
Supports for the exit stairs
IMG_20161221_162542775.jpg
The walls for the exit hallway that runs between A and B. I carefully scored a sheet of styrene with an exacto knife. That can cause the styrene to curl a little bit.
IMG_20161221_193502102.jpg
Artistic license enables me to add a door…just for an extra realistic bonus…the front
IMG_20161221_193513705.jpg
And the back along with wall stiffners to cure the unwanted curve in the wall caused by scoring. The reverse facing wall has stiffeners glued and clamped above.
IMG_20161223_173356.jpg
During adding the steps I took this random shot. I like it!
IMG_20161223_160429306.jpg
The finished exit stairs. Best stair I ever made, always hated making them. I hope this will survive the transplant to the NEW train release frame I just built (for the third time since the prototype).
IMG_20161227_225924042.jpg
The fourth version - new bents for the train release.
IMG_20161231_182847056.jpg
The skid brakes fins being glued on.
IMG_20161229_205732009_HDR.jpg
Here is an example of what I meant about getting too ahead of myself. I’m test fitting how the brakes lay in between the two rails before I start building up the track on the left. Turns how these brakes ran a little wide affecting my track guage so…I had to make them again. Note the laminated track! Trivia Question: Somewhere on this blog I described Fred Church’s style track construction enables the track to act like a…..what?
IMG_20170102_114340563.jpg
Brakes off the track, top
IMG_20170102_114404635.jpg
Brakes on the tracks
IMG_20170102_124436207.jpg
New mechanisms that will allow the brake skids to rise and drop…unencumbered which is the problem I keep having.
IMG_20170102_130843979.jpg
Also, countersinking the pin hinges to eliminate interference.
1483488336763340795275.jpg
A drawing of the proposed promotional section.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Zingoman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:44 pm

FINALLY! A new entry! I believe you said the track acts like a sponge due to the layering and seams in the wood, which unfortunately causes the rails to rot from the inside.

Is the entire project planned to stop with the station/lift/curve section or were you planning to actually complete the entire coaster in the end? I had always assumed you would construct the entire ride.
So Arrow was the bomb. I said that out loud :oops:

Postby hillflyer » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:25 pm

Zingoman wrote:FINALLY! A new entry! I believe you said the track acts like a sponge due to the layering and seams in the wood, which unfortunately causes the rails to rot from the inside.

Is the entire project planned to stop with the station/lift/curve section or were you planning to actually complete the entire coaster in the end? I had always assumed you would construct the entire ride.

Still working it out, but bottom line, I hope to make the whole thing. The piece pictured above I want to showcase while I build the rest of it.

I was going to enter the Airplane in the County Fair in June, but I'd have to build a case and cover for it and that would be SOOOOOO cost prohibitive.

Just right now, you gave me the idea to possibly enter this proposed "Cyclone Racer" section in the fair instead. It'd be MUCH cheaper to make a case for a 4' rectangle. Also I had planned for that part to be done by July 1 so if I step it up a little bit.

Oops, and your answer was incorrect.
IMG_20170103_232134259_HDR.jpg

I teach at the school of donkey!

Re: The Model Cyclone Racer - NEW CONCEPT

Postby Zingoman » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:12 am

The track acted like a spring
So Arrow was the bomb. I said that out loud :oops:

Postby hillflyer » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi fans,
I just love to bounce back and forth between the drafting board and the coffee shop.

I am SO fortunate I have a job that affords me a little time to work on drawings during slow times.

The following series of pictures is dedicated to the now-closed Hillcrest version of the Filter coffee house where I’ve spent many hundreds of hours working on the Airplane model.
CH Euphoria.jpg
It all started in 1994 at the Euphoria Coffee Shop. My best friend at the time, Bryan Linger, and I would spend hours playing Gin Rummy here. When I worked for the Yellow Brick Road video arcade in 1995, I drew plans for a remodel design for my store. I liked the atmosphere here, it fed me creatively.

Unfortunately it was right next door to a popular night club bringing along with it all kinds of problems, including a shooting. Euphoria closed in 1999 or 2000. The historical building it was located in was left basically abandoned for years as it needed hundreds of thousands of dollars of work in order to pass any inspection codes.
CH other side.jpg
The owners of Euphoria moved about 2 miles away to a North Park location and called it “The Other Side”. Bryan and I continued to play cards at this location.

December of 2000, I was here at the Other Side working on a photo album for my parents as a Christmas gift. Again, I got that warm feeling of creativity
SKMBT_C25014050811460.jpg
I was just starting my model of Traver’s Cyclone at the time. I learned I could work on little pieces at a time outside the home. It would also be the birthing place for many many many friendships I would have over the years.
4072 house.jpg
It was also in December of 2000 that I found the cottage where I currently live! Only a third of a block down from the coffee shop.
CH Filter exterior.jpg
About 9 years ago, a new owner took over the store, changed the name to “Filter”.
CH Filter hill exterior.jpg
A couple of years later, he would open up another Filter about a block and a half away from where Euphoria used to be.
Aeroplane model Filter.jpg
I continued to go to the one closest to me and work on various things until I started the Airplane in the fall of 2012. I then darted back and forth to one Filter or the other, whatever mood I was in.
CH YH out.jpg
In the Summer of 2013 the Filter near me changed hands and became Young Hickory.
CH Filter.jpg
Before it was bought, the interior of Filter was much more accommodating.
CH YH.jpg
The interior for Young Hickory was changed to much more sterile arrangement – tall metal stools, counter tops, picnic tables…boring. But I still go there.
CH Filter hillcrest1.jpg
The Hillcrest Filter closed last month because….The building Euphoria was located in was renovated. The space became a failed Sushi bar before recently becoming LeStat’s coffee shop. The new LeStats helped put Filter..out of business. Bye Bye Filter.

The last day of Filter – unceremoniously closing its doors.

Postby hillflyer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:21 pm

Picking up a little steam. I'm taking a week vacation next week, I plan to get much done.
IMG_20170104_204358085.jpg
One last look of the bare brake release side b.
IMG_20170105_200707539_HDR.jpg
Scaling track guage. 38" inside to inside of sub track.
IMG_20170105_194017110.jpg
Under side of brake skids
IMG_20170105_194313638.jpg
Added bar on the under side, this will help control the up and down.
IMG_20170106_194419535.jpg
Brakes and track pieces about to be assembled.
IMG_20170106_080607380.jpg
Adding sub track to side a.
IMG_20170105_222605447.jpg
The exit stairway left over from the last version slid right in to its new home. Train chassis sitting crooked on side a.
IMG_20170104_211728946_HDR.jpg
Train chassis sitting on the brake release side b.
IMG_20170104_211613555_HDR.jpg
Brake skids added. The move slightly up and down when I slide the bar on the right.
IMG_20170108_212809733_HDR.jpg
Next up... Fun with wheels!

PreviousNext

Return to Roller Coaster Games, Models, and Other Randomness