WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

P. 160 - Slinky Dog Coaster Train Revealed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Re: WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

Postby DoubleDown » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:20 pm

I'm sorry and I'm most probably definitely in the minority here but I think while the Tron attraction is visually phenomenal, the coaster portion is remarkably lame for how much money they put into the attraction, and with a couple small changes they could make the ride as thrilling as say Space Mountain or Expedition Everest. The way the train crawls and meanders through the course, with the absurd amount of brake runs and the length of the trains, it seriously comes off as mediocre paced Rocket Rods. There's absolutely nothing redeeming about it.

I watch that POV and have no increase in desire to visit the parks. I love Disney as much as the next person, but that Tron attraction could be SO much better with a little more of a thrilling ride experience. It just feels like all hype and build up, then the actual attraction falls flat on it's face. There's no "Wow!" factor.

In fact, I would argue 20 year old Indiana Jones at Disneyland is probably something I would pick to ride over Tron, if it was my last ride of the day.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby PeoplemoverMatt » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:43 pm

DoubleDown wrote:I'm sorry and I'm most probably definitely in the minority here but I think while the Tron attraction is visually phenomenal, the coaster portion is remarkably lame for how much money they put into the attraction, and with a couple small changes they could make the ride as thrilling as say Space Mountain or Expedition Everest. The way the train crawls and meanders through the course, with the absurd amount of brake runs and the length of the trains, it seriously comes off as mediocre paced Rocket Rods. There's absolutely nothing redeeming about it.

I watch that POV and have no increase in desire to visit the parks. I love Disney as much as the next person, but that Tron attraction could be SO much better with a little more of a thrilling ride experience. It just feels like all hype and build up, then the actual attraction falls flat on it's face. There's no "Wow!" factor.

In fact, I would argue 20 year old Indiana Jones at Disneyland is probably something I would pick to ride over Tron, if it was my last ride of the day.

Just curious...have you been to Shanghai to actually ride it? If not, then I think I'll trust the reactions of those who have been there to ride it in person.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that often times a POV video of a ride just can't do justice to how amazing an experience that ride could be in person. You really have to be there, see it, and feel it to actually get it. Formula Rossa doesn't look like much in a video. Looks like a windy coaster in the desert, right? But to actually go there and ride that thing is very different than to simply watch a video. Robb says TRON is an absolutely OMFG incredible ride, as do most that have been to Shanghai and ridden it. That's good enough for me.

I can't wait to ride TRON myself. Doesn't matter if I have to wait for WDW's to be built, or if I can get to Shanghai to ride it before then.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby Zero One » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:38 am

Slinky coaster track is finished. It looks like it will have some serious airtime in the second half.

Aerial photos from this weekend. http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/toy-story-land/news/24jul2017-photos---slinky-dog-coaster-track-completed-at-toy-story-land.htm

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby viking86 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:50 am

^Let's wait and see! I have a feeling that 'serious airtime' might be a bit optimistic, given that it's a family coaster, but I'm sure it will be a lot of fun! But we can always hope... ;)

What's most impressive to me is the scale of the construction shown in those pictures, particularly in the third picture. With both Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land on the way that construction area is HUGE!!! The park is going to have a completely different feel once both these lands are finished... and that's a good thing! =)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby prospekt88 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:34 am

The ride and entire area look great. Excited to see the capacity that they will be able to run this at. Should be the perfect people eater that this park will need as the crowds start flocking.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:11 am

Here's a pic from the site, for those who (for one reason or another) can't get to the photos...
Toy-Story-Land_Full_30618.jpg
Thanks www.wdwmagic.com
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:58 pm

PeoplemoverMatt wrote:
DoubleDown wrote:I'm sorry and I'm most probably definitely in the minority here but I think while the Tron attraction is visually phenomenal, the coaster portion is remarkably lame for how much money they put into the attraction, and with a couple small changes they could make the ride as thrilling as say Space Mountain or Expedition Everest. The way the train crawls and meanders through the course, with the absurd amount of brake runs and the length of the trains, it seriously comes off as mediocre paced Rocket Rods. There's absolutely nothing redeeming about it.

Just curious...have you been to Shanghai to actually ride it? If not, then I think I'll trust the reactions of those who have been there to ride it in person.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that often times a POV video of a ride just can't do justice to how amazing an experience that ride could be in person.

What this guy said. DoubleDown, you can't judge a ride based on a video you watched in a comfy chair. Best example? Journey To The Center Of The Earth. For years I couldn't figure out what was so special about the ride. I had seen the videos and I didn't get it. There was little to no narrative, just a sightseeing ride through caves and glowing stuff. Then I finally got to Japan and rode it. Holy. Flipping. Crap. Now I know what the hype was about. I was shaking at the end and remained that way for quite some time. It blew my mind and I honestly still have no idea why. It's just THAT GOOD.

Postby Zero One » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:51 pm

viking86 wrote:^Let's wait and see! I have a feeling that 'serious airtime' might be a bit optimistic, given that it's a family coaster, but I'm sure it will be a lot of fun! But we can always hope... ;)

What's most impressive to me is the scale of the construction shown in those pictures, particularly in the third picture. With both Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land on the way that construction area is HUGE!!! The park is going to have a completely different feel once both these lands are finished... and that's a good thing! =)

Yep. It's hard to get a sense from those pictures but trust me... flying above it and seeing it in person it struck me how big both the coaster and the two lands are going to be.

Postby Zero One » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:36 am

Star Wars pictures today from yours truly : http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/star-wars-land/news/26jul2017-photos---star-wars-galaxys-edge-construction-from-the-air.htm

Disney also announced that the remnants of Streets of America will be turned into an LA bar.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby prospekt88 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:36 am

Nice photos, it's good to see everything progressing.

I tried searching but couldn't find anything on the LA bar/Streets of America. Where was this announcement?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!