Photo TR: TPR USA Trip 2018

The RMC & More Tour! Days 1-9 posted: Hershey is up!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Re: Photo TR: TPR USA Trip 2018

Postby The Yeti » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:27 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:I was happily surprised by the freedom of expression the employees had. I think the dyed/bleached haired employees were even with the natural hair colored employees. Did anyone else notice this?! I don't know if Cedar Fair has gotten way more lax of it's just KD.

I think it's that part of Virginia. Kids are running around with some pretty wild haircuts, which are usually greasy and some shade of green or blue.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:08 am

Another great TR, Zach. But, how dare you skip those valuable credits, despite being clones.........

I also remember i305’s dispatches being painfully slow when waiting for the front row. And, if Twisted Timbers is storm chaser 2.0 I’d probably be one and done, with a lot of indifference. Just like SV.

I’m glad you made a good recovery from fish poison. I was surprised to hear that portion of your trip report, since it looked like you were having a blast on Snapchat.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby bill_s » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:32 am

Grizzly is slightly rougher than optimum this year, which I prefer it by far to Rebel Yell when it's not racing or the operators aren't properly racing it. It appears that half the airtime on RY was bumps, which are now gone. The park has been going back and forth on maintenance on those two since before the 2009 season (Hurler was their smoothest fullsize woodie in 2008 by a small margin).

Postby coasterbill » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:22 am

Great report! Yeah... I've purchased my fair share of $5 Vitamin waters from Kings Dominion too. :lol:

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Phant0mF1re » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:42 am

Ahhh yes, Kings Dominion had a pretty potent mixed drink at that weird bar out in the middle of nowhere that looked like a stage when I was there this year. I mean, it was just a splash of blue Vitamin Water, but I like to tell myself it helped after a couple ;)

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:33 am

It was Alex Pope with that Avalanche shot, but Franklin has the slomo video somewhere. How did I get that mixed up, of course Franklin was filming me :lol:

Canobie Coaster wrote:Awesome report!

I'm not sure what happened to Grizzly from the start of the year to now, but I've seen a lot of reports recently saying that ride was pretty rough this summer. I've always found it to be a really enjoyable wooden coaster with a nice setting in the woods. It was running as good as usual in April.

Wow Twisted Timbers looks even faster in that POV and I already thought the airtime was really strong back in April. I'll need to return in the summer at some point.

Sounds like this can happen to any wooden coaster over 10 years of age. It might start the season off well but by the time July/Aug comes it's worn down quicker.

Dombot wrote:Awesome report, love this park so much. You missed out on Anaconda, IMO, my one ride on it was weirdly smooth for a coat-hanger Arrow. I still don't understand it. :lol:

That's good to hear! It just wasn't happening that day, especially when I305 is right there. I couldn't justify leaving it for an old Arrow, haha. Next time!

bert425 wrote:I knew you weren't feeling well at KD for the morning filming, and heard whispers about it being "Virginia Sushi". . . but damn, that sushi boat looks good!

It looked good and tasted great :lol:
Nrthwnd wrote:Damn, sorry to read you had a run in with the sushi! Even as fresh as it can be done,
sometimes "stuff" can happen, unexpectedly. You just proved that, I guess. :wink:

It does look like, however, you had a good morning support team with the security person,
and Kristen and Elissa around.

Good KD report there. Looking forward to more of the Tour. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. ;)

Definitely. It was still one of the best days of the trip despite my morning so that says a lot about the park and people I was with!

prozach626 wrote:Another great TR, Zach. But, how dare you skip those valuable credits, despite being clones.........

I also remember i305’s dispatches being painfully slow when waiting for the front row. And, if Twisted Timbers is storm chaser 2.0 I’d probably be one and done, with a lot of indifference. Just like SV.

I’m glad you made a good recovery from fish poison. I was surprised to hear that portion of your trip report, since it looked like you were having a blast on Snapchat.

Thanks! Yeah I'd suggest trying TT in the middle for the first ride whenever you get there, but it might not be your ride. It doesn't matter the obstacle I run into, I am able to rebound haha. BUT MAYBE THAT WAS THE SECRET ANTIDOTE. THE MISSED CREDITS! Ahhhhhhhhh :butt:

coasterbill wrote:Great report! Yeah... I've purchased my fair share of $5 Vitamin waters from Kings Dominion too. :lol:

Thanks! That handy dandy Platinum pass probably saved me $10 by the end of the day haha.

Phant0mF1re wrote:Ahhh yes, Kings Dominion had a pretty potent mixed drink at that weird bar out in the middle of nowhere that looked like a stage when I was there this year. I mean, it was just a splash of blue Vitamin Water, but I like to tell myself it helped after a couple ;)

I'll be on the look out for that next time!
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:12 am

PKI Jizzman wrote:It was Alex Pope with that Avalanche shot, but Franklin has the slomo video somewhere. How did I get that mixed up, of course Franklin was filming me :lol:

I'm not sure what happened to Grizzly from the start of the year to now, but I've seen a lot of reports recently saying that ride was pretty rough this summer. I've always found it to be a really enjoyable wooden coaster with a nice setting in the woods. It was running as good as usual in April.

Wow Twisted Timbers looks even faster in that POV and I already thought the airtime was really strong back in April. I'll need to return in the summer at some point.

Sounds like this can happen to any wooden coaster over 10 years of age. It might start the season off well but by the time July/Aug comes it's worn down quicker.

I also could just have a high tolerance considering I had no issues with Voyage on Labor Day weekend or Boulder Dash ever. :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Boulder Dash, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Stricker's Grove & Camden Park

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:19 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:
PKI Jizzman wrote:It was Alex Pope with that Avalanche shot, but Franklin has the slomo video somewhere. How did I get that mixed up, of course Franklin was filming me :lol:

I also could just have a high tolerance considering I had no issues with Voyage on Labor Day weekend or Boulder Dash ever. :lol:

I was going to use Voyage as an example as that's a ride I've only ridden in May and I hear awful things about it in July/Aug, haha. I'm right there with you since I grew up with SoB, Beast, Vortex, Face/Off, etc. I think the only time I have issues with wooden coasters is when there are sudden jolts. Grizzly had some serious jolts that had me thinking I was going to bounce out of my seat into the woods quicker than a Virginian can skin and gut a deer.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.

Postby PKI Jizzman » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:50 am

Day 7 - Six Flags America

Guys I was looking forward to SFA. I'm not joking you. It was a quick visit and I had a plan - ride Wild One, Superman, and check out the weird slides in the water park on a beautiful summer day.

Is that the sound of booing because I'm skipping more credits? :roll: :lol: I have my own priorities. The ex-Tony Hawk themed old school Half Pipe, tube-speed slides without tubes, terrain/woodsy body slides, drop pods, and brand new extreme lazy river seemed much more exciting than a SLC, old GCI, Vekoma Flyer, etc. Plus, all of the slides were included on the Flash Pass! Score! All I need is a couple hours!

That plan sounded alluring to Michael, Andy, Allison, and Chase so we all planned to hit up the waterpark after the coasters.

First impressions of the park were surprisingly great! We got our Flash Passes, headed over to Superman, and were even given a short cut tip by one of the locals that overheard our conversation. Whaaaaaat is happening? Drake and J Cole was playing through out the park on our walk over. Okay, this is cool. We made a stop at Joker, which was fun! I had been on the indoor and outdoor version of this coaster before so it was nothing new to me.
received_2204981723064870.jpg
My last name is Boothe. I'm a security booth. Get it?

On over to Superman there were 2 trains running and the op was busting his A$$. I am pretty sure there were only 2 ops running the ride and they were doing their best.

So let's pause for a second. So far:
*The GP are friendly
*The ops are doing their best
*Solid music playing throughout the park

Good things happening and I haven't even stepped into this waterpark yet, this is excellent.

The Superman op desperately needs a microphone. Six Flags if you're reading this please help the guy out. He had to shout to the whole station his spiel and that's not good for the guests or for the guy's voice. He was being as nice and polite as he could despite the situation.

Superman was great! I only rode in the front seat and I thought it maintained its speed well and was more fun than a B&M hyper coaster. Yeah, even with the straight bits and helices. There's just something about those Intamin trains that elevates the ride experience for me. I'm probably in the minority here since the side bars don't effect me so I didn't notice the difference between the regular T bar and the Six Flags T bar. The first drop was great, there was airtime on the second half, and it is smooth.* I didn't ride in the back, where reports were different.
20180729_121004.jpg
Before!
20180729_121013.jpg
After! Come on guys, stick to the front seat :lol:
received_10160756744040370.jpg
Beautiful shot from Robb's video. Go watch it now!

On over to Wild One I was really starting to think that this park had turned a corner until I stopped to get some water. Oh man, the drinking fountain water was foul. And this was reported in more than one location.Guess I'll stick with Powerade. At this time it was also being reported that the food service was probably the worst experience you could ever encounter, so I planned on having my delicious TPR snacky snacks for lunch when we got back on the bus.

Wild One wasn't that bad. It had some funky airtime and didn't kill me, but I had higher expectations since this ride is apparently pretty great when it's running well. The trains were interesting and seemed to have extra cushion in them but it didn't make much of a difference. That was that last ride to check off on the dry side of the park for me, but I stuck with the group for a lap on Ragin' Cajun before we headed to the water park.
20180729_123925.jpg
We're a wild group acting wild on Wild One!
sf.JPG
Note to self, take more pictures of Chase and Michael next trip :lmao:
Screenshot_20180921-100657_Instagram.jpg
"If I don't make it back take care of my camera.."

The weird lap bar of the car almost smashed our heads as it came down as we were trying to get in and got stuck in a half open position so they had to bring out this portable car battery to re-open the restraint. I didn't remember that ever happening at SF Great America, haha. Of course we got out brains melted by this spinning mouse.

Waterpark time! And this is the part where my Six Flags day started to lose Flags. The main bathroom/changing room was disgusting and it was hard to get privacy to change. I only had to be in there for a minute but even that was too long. I already had my suit on, so I didn't need to change. The changing booths were barely covered up by a shower curtain and most were barely hanging on by 1 or 2 rungs. It probably made it very difficult to change.

The fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo situation was easy and we were able to put our stuff away quickly and cost effectively before we were ready to slip and slide. Let's put our Flash Pass to use. Oh wait. The kiosk to queue up a slide isn't working. Hmm let's find another one. Oh, this one isn't working either. No help from any type of employee on finding a working kiosk so I guess we'll just have to wait in the regular line. None of the lines looked bad so maybe we won't get on all the slides but it's fine.

The new Wahoo River was nothing like they depicted in the announcement:
Water arches, sprays, geysers, surging waves, waterfalls, leaky pipes and dumping buckets will offer thrilling watery fun. Themed splashing waterfalls:
Along your journey, you'll encounter themed rockwork waterfalls to give you a drenching! Wahoo River is bigger, better and wetter in every way! Enjoy hours of fun, sun and laughter.

Well, the important thing is that it was clean and refreshing. Maybe they'll add the details later but outside of a few little water buckets and one part with a very tame increase to the flow of the lazy river it was as stripped down and as bland as you can get.
The only thing in this attraction that got my heart pounding was when a child near us decided to play opossum and go face down in his inner tube. It's okay, even though he scared the shit out of me and his sister, he was "just playing dead". Hilarious, kid.

The drop pods were a walk on and holy crap were these too intense to enjoy. They were not the straight down shot, they were like a corkscrew that tossed you from side to side while scraping your back. I'm pretty sure Allison will never try another because of these :cry: Damnit SFA! This day got off to such a great start!
sfaaa.jpg

We looked on the other side of the waterpark for a working kiosk for Flash Pass because the slide lines were building with no luck, so we enjoyed the wave pool for a bit before checking out the body slides. They were old school fun and smooth! Only 3/5 were operating, meh.
sfa_3.jpg

Chase met up with us and we FINALLY found a working kiosk (next to another dead one) towards an unexplored part of the water park. Andy this is the part where I call on you to tell the kid's slide race with Michael :lmao: That was hilarious.
sfaa.jpg

We put the Tornado in the queue and went over when ready. The FP perk lets you go to the front of the "get your tube here" line, but the employee directing people to come get the tube is across the pool, leaving you to ....kindly ....cut the line/explain to the GP that you have a FP and you're next. You can imagine how well that's received!

Thankfully we got eye contact from the life guard across the way who waved us over to get the tube.

Well, this wasn't your ordinary ProSlide cloverleaf tube, it was a little....flat :lmao: The guy shrugged it off when we asked if we're cool to use it and we weren't about to stand around and take more heat from the rest of the people waiting in line for tubes...so away we go!
sfa_4.jpg

(And we're still trying to hold it up in this picture, so just imagine it a bit more saggy)

Once Chase and I get to the top and set the tube down in the water, the guard up top looks at us funny and we burst out laughing. She says "When you get to the bottom, tell (insert guy at the exit pool's name here) that (insert girl at the top's name here) said 'PULL THIS TUBE OFF TO THE SIDE!'" :lmao:

So, how did it go?

There was just enough air in the tube to keep me @$$ from riding on the bottom of the slide, but there were a couple points where I thought I might break my tailbone, haha. It was a great ProSlide Tornado and we got some serious altitude on the side of the funnel. It was slightly terrifying, but endlessly funny and absolutely one of the most memorable parts of the trip.

And yes, the guard at the exit pool laughed and put the tube out of commission when we got to the bottom and relayed the message.

By that time there was only an hour or so until our departure time, so I got in the short line for the half pipe.
The op at the top was having an absolutely blast punting people down the slide and spinning tubes at random. This slide was AMAZING. My heart popped out of my chest as the guy blasted me off the platform by swinging on the bar and I got really far up the other end of the pipe before going backwards. It was a one of a kind SFA experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Thanks for the memories 0 f*cks halfpipe slide op!
Screenshot_20180921-100753_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20180921-100756_Instagram.jpg

Upon meeting up with the rest of the group, I encountered Mr Goodwin in a jovial mood who told me about the excellent service at the New Orleans bar. Cody expressed interested in going to check it out and we had just enough time so we briskly walked over. I met the famous bartenders, got compliments on my tattoo, told them I wished I had more time to chat with them, but I only had enough time to get one of her special sangrias. It was just what I needed after flailing around in the waterpark all afternoon and that is when we'd head out.

All in all SFA has the rides, slides, and layout to be a really solid park in the future. They're doing their best to upkeep the park, add new attractions, and encourage their regular guests to be on their best behavior. That's a unique challenge not many parks have to deal with and I honestly don't know the best way of going about it. Keep up the good work SFA. With all that being said, it wouldn't shock me if the park closed in 5 years. As much as I'm trying to be positive about this park, there are a lot of flaws that I could see putting a nail in the coffin.

Thanks for reading!
-Zach

Postby coasterbill » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:58 am

Great report! That water slide tube story is hilarious (and very SFA). :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!