Photo TR: TPR USA Trip 2018

The RMC & More Tour! SFOG-SFA up! SFA Story Time!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Photo TR: TPR USA Trip 2018

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Hey TPR!

I realized that I could use my time on the L for something productive, like putting together a trip report! :lol: So it's been a little over a month since the tour ended and there are a lot of great memories to share with everyone here.

Thanks to Robb and Elissa for putting together this trip. It was great spending time with you and I appreciate all the time/effort/patience/loss of sleep/communication that went into the 2 week adventure. I hope I helped make your life easier and happier on the tour!

So let's see, I think the hype started to build in December. 2018 was due to be a big theme park year for me since I had lost focus roller coasters and without a car it's more difficult to visit certain parks. I think May and June were the toughest months to through because once July it the count down was real!

Day 1 - Just get there.

Thankfully there was not anything major weather wise going on between Chicago and Atlanta. Once I got to the airport I was quickly made aware of what mother nature was doing in the whole Pennsylvania/NE part of the country with the summer Nor Easter thing going on. Turns out my friend had been stuck there all morning trying to go to NYC and it wasn't looking good for the rest of the day. But everything was on time to ATL so it was time to grab some popcorn and go.

I booked my flight months in advanced since it was so cheap and gave myself plenty of time to be able to land and make my way to where the bus pick up was at the ATL airport. Flights didn't cooperate for a good chunk of the rest of the USA since a vast majority of the group were slated to get in unreasonably early with lots of time to kill. Robb and Elissa noticed this and put together a quick Fun Spot stop! They are great at improvising. Talk about saving the day! Check out the other reports to see some photos there.

I noticed Russ was in around the same time I was, so I told him we should link up to make our way over to the bus pick up. Shockingly, I think I frightened Russ a little bit because we hadn't met before, but I knew who he was because of the plentiful amounts of photos of him from previous trips :lol: If you've ever met Russ you'd probably agree it's a feat to scare him, haha. So already first impressions are going g r e a t.

It was cake to take the monorail over and of course, the bus arrived when it was slated to. In this crazy world there are few consistent things. 1 thing without fail is the punctuality of the TPR bus. It will leave when you are told it is going to leave. It will arrive when you are told it is going to arrive. Isn't that great? Yes, yes it is.

Sticking to my past TPR experiences, I went towards the back of the bus where I immediately found familiar faces like Laura, Michael, Colin, Andy, and more! We were off to the hotel, a relaxing dinner, and the snack exchange!

Thanks a bunch to Ryan for getting the snack exchange together last minute. I think it's fair to say we crushed it and had a little bit of something from all over the USA and some international treats. Tooooons of Universal/Harry Potter/Disney snacks, too. Those were great! I brought a sampling of Chicago popcorn and some multiverse-Rick stickers in case someone couldn't have the snacks I brought.
11111.jpg

Long live the TPR snack exchange. (Credit to Robb)

It was a great way to start getting names down, mix up the group, and get QBot teams ready for the first day at Six Flags Over Georgia! My roommate, Andy, and I were on the same page with wake up times so I knew we'd be a great fit. This held true the whole trip and post trip (hey Andy!!)

If you don't think Andy can be any cooler you're wrong because he brought Stroopwafels for the snack exchange :lol:

Day 2 - Six Flags Over Georgia

We had a biiiiig day ahead of us starting with early morning filming pre-park opening and post-park ERT on Twisted Cyclone. Today was a pretty mellow day for me since the last time I was at SFOG it was with TPR for the Deep South bash. So needless to say there were a few new rides to check out, but for the most part I was just going with the flow.

Filming time starting with the new RMC! I love the filming sessions. It's very simple - listen to Robb's instructions and follow the park's rules. Thanks to Robb's quick set up and improvisation he was able to get lots of different angles of Twisted Cyclone which meant lots of rides for the group!
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Thanks to John for the onrides + Elissa for the offride!)

Twisted Cyclone - Such an easy coaster to love. The open seating in the front row gave incredible views, which was so cool with the classic car detail. The progression of elements gets more and more wild throughout the circuit and by the time you hit the brakes everyone is laughing. I ended up enjoying Cyclone more towards the front but I also appreciated how the middle and back provided a slightly different ride.

Goliath was second, I think! This is a really solid B&M hyper that bounces around the park and features a helix that you actually feel the g's on.
4.jpg

Dare Devil Dive was up next! I had already been on this one, but it's impossible to not be intimidated by a vertical coaster with only a lap bar. I wish all the Euro Fighters were able to get this treatment. DDD is a funky coaster that looks more frightening than it actually is. It's really smooth and an easier going than Batman and Blue Hawk if you want a less intense loopy ride at SFOG.

...more ERT filming!

Mindbender was right around the corner and we were almost able to get all of our group on one train! These sessions provide some really unique opportunities - since the other train was full that gave about 6 or so of us freedom to pick wherever we wanted. Mindbender makes great use of the terrain and takes you through the trees, down into a creek, and a tunnel through a hill while sprinkling in those classic loops and bits of airtime.
5.jpg

6.jpg

Back row cruuuuuuuu!
7 sfog (elissa).jpg

Michael, stop looking at the camera!!! (from Elissa)

8.jpg

9.jpg

Classic TPR moment when 2 different people get pictures of you on the same ride :lol: That's Andy for the first and Franklin(!!!) for the other. Franklin photo credit! Put that on the bingo card for future trips.

...wait more filming?! This is amazing!

Yep, Batman was conveniently close and it seemed like we were doing a pretty good job day 1 that we had time to get some shots on Batman. By that time, it was almost getting to park opening so we went over to group up and grab our QBots.

Chris, Ryan, Alex and I decided we make a well rounded group since combined we check off foreigner/big Texas/West Coast/Fresh Coast and headed to the back of the park by Superman.
9.7.jpg

Justice League - Everything was working and I think the main thing I recognize about the newer versions of Justice League is the screen resolution. St Louis and Chicago's just seemed a bit blurrier to me, so I was happy I was able to following along better. The fire worked, Joker was on point, and it's a great dark ride/shooter.

Superman - It's the original! I like this model best of all because it doesn't seem like you're up that high on the lift since the hill follows you for most of it. Then once you swoop down and pull up for the pretzel loop you realize you're 100ft in the air. Pretty fun!

Great American Scream Machine - This ride is not in a great shape at this time. It doesn't look good, the trains are all mismatched, and it's rough. That being said somehow I had a fun bouncy ride on a non wheel seat while I listened to the screaming agony of Alex behind me :lmao:
10.jpg

Not a great look, but it was only down for a little bit.

11.jpg

Which lapbar would you like?

12.jpg

We had just leaned of the hot sauce incident. :Pr

Blue Hawk was a ride I warned people about prior to the trip. It's not a coaster that you should like. It's got all the sketchy boxes crossed off:
*New generic name
*New paint and trains to try and trick if you if the name didn't do it
*Voiceovers in the line and entrance of the line talking about how (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ~~***~~SMOOTH AND NEW~~***~~ and COMFORTABLE(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ Blue Hawk is.

Pfft, you're not fooling me, Six Flags. This is going to be pitiful. But I'm going to ride it since I'm with the group. And...it did not suck. Six Flags does care about my experience on this Arrow/Vekoma mutation.

Whoever worked on this reprofile did a great job. Check out (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ~~***~~SMOOTH AND NEW~~***~~ and COMFORTABLE(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ Blue Hawk.

At this point we had been explored nearly all of the park and it wasn't even lunch time! We're crushing it, group. We took the scenic route to get around using the Sky Buckets, as you should since this Von Roll installation has been around since 1968.

JB's has been a solid option for food at other Six Flags parks, so we decided to eat there. Welp, the easiest way to be reminded that you are in a Six Flags park is to step into a food or beverage establishment. It wasn't even the peak of lunchtime and they were out of "all salad" so that crossed off a third of their menu, leaving burgers and boneless wings. I wasn't trying to eat hot wings at Six Flags Atlanta on a 85*+ day and made the extremely poor, stupid decision of ordering the turkey burger. It's just a frozen patty grilled to perfect mediocrity, I thought. Guys have put up with some crappy food, but this was the absolute worst food item I've been served anywhere. It must have been either boiled or microwaved because there weren't any grill marks or flat top marks. It was leaking some juice or water from the gray puck of probably 30% turkey turkey burger. At least the fries were hot, but the filling was tasteless. Damn even fried food isn't good here. There you have it, your crap Six Flags food story you were expecting. I gladly bought a pretzel later. Moving on!

We proceeded to check off a couple things the group hadn't been on yet like Monster Mansion, Mine Ride, Scorcher, and the Flume before they wanted to take advantage of our super close hotel and take a break from the heat. I stuck around and met up with some friends who I'd been on past trip/events with.

I hit it off with Jared and Alex and we just roamed the park for a while before taking a break at the bar to have a couple drinks and celebrate Jared's birthday! Time for re-rides on our favorites before ERT.
13.jpg

Birthday boy picks the next ride.
14.jpg

We got invited to a party. A monster party! Also: John, before he learned his s i g n a t u r e m o v e
15.jpg

A quick reminder Atlanta is still the south.
16.jpg

Six Flags over ...Llamas?!
17.jpg

No birthday cake, the pretzel is the best we can do.
18.jpg

This old school flume is so much fun! Let's go again!
19.jpg

You lied to me, you DO get wet in the front!
20.jpg

Oh wait it's Atlanta I'll dry off immediately..
21.jpg

Twisted Cyclone was only a 5 minute wait for most of the day with out flash pass. So let's ride!
22.jpg

This is when Cyclone really shows off and puts it into a gear you didn't think it had.
23.jpg

Wave turn!!!! So wavey. Much wavve.
24.jpg

ERT is starting up! Hey Laura and Paul!
25.jpg

The Twisted Cyclone crew was amazing!!! Thanks everyone!
26.jpg

This is what TPR excitement looks like! First park day in the books!

The ERT session on Twisted Cyclone which was just heavenly. I rode Cyclone so many times I feel like we're BFFs and I could put down 'Twisted Cyclone' as my emergency contact. Seriously it's an amazing ride. Go out there and ride it as many time as you can. The crew crushed it and were really feeding off our excitement and even joined in for a few rides!
Big shout out to the Six Flags crew that treated us to a memorable time pre/post regular hours. Thanks to R&E for a great start to the trip!

Other notes:
*I didn't spend much time take pictures since I had been there before
*Scorcher is still running great despite looking like it could crumble at any second.
*The Flume may be small but it spends the first minute of the course letting you barrel down hill bumping into the sides of the trough. It's a a wild flume.
*The park still has that vintage charm to it that other parks lack
-Zach
Last edited by PKI Jizzman on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:53 am.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Site Admin

Re: Photo TR: TPR USA Trip 2018

Postby SharkTums » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:33 pm

Nice TR! I remember warning people walking into JB's after we had three people in line in front of us and it had been 20min and we hadn't made it to the counter yet! Maybe someday SF will do what CF did for food at most of their parks and take a real effort to improve both offerings and service.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:43 pm

yay for more TRs from the trip!

love seeing other's views from what y'all did during the trip too!

Looking forwards to seeing the rest, and getting to relive the trip :)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby beatle11 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Happy to see another TR for this trip. Looking forward to see more.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Ed Farmer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:00 pm

Great start, and really looking forward to this TR. This trip looked amazing.
"Next, we are going to solicit the children of strangers so that we can go on a ride designed for children. This is so I can post online and impress other people who are very good at procuring unfamiliar children in order to go on rides designed for children, and thus have a higher arbitrary number than me."

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby The Great Zo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:21 pm

Zach's trip report has begun! Rejoice!

Agreed with much of your review of the park. Twisted Cyclone was fantastic, JB's was garbage, and I'll take the slightly-less-peeled-apart lap bar, thank you very much.

PKI Jizzman wrote:(hey Andy!!)

(hey Zach!!)

PKI Jizzman wrote:If you don't think Andy can be any cooler you're wrong because he brought Stroopwafels for the snack exchange :lol:

With thanks to EB (vuurvogel) for starting the idea for me in 2016!
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby coasterlvr » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:42 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:Dare Devil Dive was up next! I had already been on this one, but it's impossible to not be intimidated by a vertical coaster with only a lap bar. I wish all the Euro Fighters were able to get this treatment. DDD is a funky coaster that looks more frightening than it actually is. It's really smooth and an easier going than Batman and Blue Hawk if you want a less intense loopy ride at SFOG.

funny, i don't have any recollection of Dare Devil Dive, the actual ride itself. but will always remember what happened at Dare Devil Dive on the TPR Tour.

PKI Jizzman wrote:Image

is that a GP next to you? lol, j/k. what up, jeremy?

We got invited to a party. A monster party! Also: John, before he learned his s i g n a t u r e m o v e

it's still funny to me, but getting pretty long in the tooth. i need to figure out a new one before the next trip/event. :b :b

PKI Jizzman wrote:The ERT session on Twisted Cyclone which was just heavenly.

That was an amazing ERT to start the tour. Just an awesome ride.

Great start to your report, Zach!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:56 pm

Great report! I didn't realize the mismatched trains at GASM since I only dared to ride that once. And that's saying something considering I actually really liked the old Georgia Cyclone even in the very back row.

Was that massive pretzel from JB's or somewhere else?

SharkTums wrote:Nice TR! I remember warning people walking into JB's after we had three people in line in front of us and it had been 20min and we hadn't made it to the counter yet! Maybe someday SF will do what CF did for food at most of their parks and take a real effort to improve both offerings and service.

It amazes me how bad the JB's are at other parks when it's considered the star at Six Flags New England.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Six Flags Over Georgia &Wisp Resort

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:06 am

Thanks everyone! More coming soon.

coasterlvr wrote:it's still funny to me, but getting pretty long in the tooth. i need to figure out a new one before the next trip/event. :b :b

Hahaha, too funny. You just need to visit a couple parks to get inspired! You'll find something. Have fun riding out this current wave.

SharkTums wrote:Nice TR! I remember warning people walking into JB's after we had three people in line in front of us and it had been 20min and we hadn't made it to the counter yet! Maybe someday SF will do what CF did for food at most of their parks and take a real effort to improve both offerings and service.

Thanks! Yep, our group had just gotten in line. We figured if we only have to wait for 1 thing the whole day it might as well be food. But we didn't anticipate the food to be...that..bad. Woof.

Canobie Coaster wrote:Was that massive pretzel from JB's or somewhere else?

Yep! There was one lonely pretzel rotating for what seemed like hours, and while we wanted the pretzel, we were not going to pick that one :lol: So they made a fresh one. Hooray one positive SFOG food note!

The Great Zo wrote:
PKI Jizzman wrote:If you don't think Andy can be any cooler you're wrong because he brought Stroopwafels for the snack exchange :lol:

With thanks to EB (vuurvogel) for starting the idea for me in 2016!

When you can fall back on Stroolwafels for dinner when Wendy's is closed, that's a beautiful thing.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:57 am

Day 3 - Testing SuperPowers

With one RMC in the books it was time to head out to our next stop - Carowinds. This isn't just the RMC tour. It's the RMC and more tour. What's a part of more? 3 giga coasters! All vastly different from each other and needless to say we were excited to greet the first of the trip.

This was a good down day coming off of a 14 hour SFOG day. The bus is fantastic and makes even a 5 hour drive go by quick - plenty to see out the clean windows, endless AC, and outlets to keep everyone happy.
1.jpg

2.jpg

No poopin' in here!!!

Lots of time on the bus was important today because it was time to collect your thoughts and make a guess for Jared's Merch Madness. For those of you who don't know, Jared loves to collect t shirts from all the parks he visits. Lots of them. But much less than my initial guess :lmao: I'm a dumbass.

We had an hour lunch stop and given our location outside of Spartanburg, I knew there was bound to be some good BBQ in walking distance. I like to think one of my super powers is finding a hidden gem to eat/drink. Chicago has really sharpened my restaurant-detective skills and within a few minutes I had found something promising.

Carolina BBQ! http://www.mycarolinabbq.com/
Carolina BBQ to be featured on a German TV channel.

Yep the famous German TV one! :lol:
3.jpg

With the hour time limit, I knew BBQ would be perfect. It's already smoked. You just go get it. Once I got close I knew it was legit because the aroma of delicious smoke was somehow overpowering the exhaust of 100+ cars at the crowded intersection, haha.

This place is cute and homey, right down to the stereotypical motherly waitress with the big southern accent that says "Thank-yew vurry much sweet pea" way too many times. The BBQ was some of the best I've ever had and it came with slaw, orka, hush puppies, and a tea. Of course it was all for under $10. There were plenty of sauces to try, too - including Cheerwine sauce. Yeah I'll be stopping here anytime I possibly can. I paid and was able to make it back to the bus with 20 minutes to spare.
4.jpg

5.jpg

We only had an hour or so to Carowinds and the skies started to darken up, all to familiar to my quick stop in May where the radar looked like a piece of abstract art. Well, looks like this was going to be the case. BUT we aren't just your normal group of coaster enthusiasts, we have someone special.

We have Andy:
6.jpg

Super powers: expert weather predictor, mother nature whisperer, Ghostbuster of storms.

First off, when we arrived we some how dodged rain. While we waited for Fast Lane and wristbands, we still didn't get rained on. That would have been brutal trying to get into the park in the middle of a storm. We knew storms were in the area so we all found indoor rides/shopping/the bar.

The bartender at Carowinds in Harmony Hall was great, and kept many of us entertained while the rides were down. They had a great selection of mixed drinks and beers. It was about 6:30 or so that rides started to open up, so we hit up some favorites while we could.
7.jpg

8.jpg

Get your credits in, Carowinds noobies!

Afterburn - I'm a huge fan of this invert and for a good 30 minutes there was no one in line, it was like mini ERT. The zero G is my favorite element with that crazy wing over between the trees being a close second.
9.jpg

10.jpg

This part :lover: :lover: :lover:

Storms moved back in for a bit, which was totally fine since it gave everyone time to get another drink and some food. When I pick food at a theme park I try to go for the food that's hard to mess up - fried food, something simply grilled like a burger, or BBQ. People rrrrrrrraaaaaave about Harmony Hall and I was excited to double up on BBQ today and get pulled pork for dinner. Welp, it must have been an off day because the pulled pork was really weak. It was edible, but nothing close to what they have set their expectations to be. Oh well! The beer is great and that makes up for it.

It was getting dark and the storms were clearing up once again (thanks Andy!!!) so it looked like we could all get in 90 minutes of riding before Fury ERT. I was talked into riding Hurler and woah, who fixed this ride up?! It was not bad at all. Not quite Racer 75 smooth, but totally fine. I also fell for the new shiny boomerang trains. Curiosity got the best of me, wanting to try out the new Vekoma set up but it was still a crappy boomerang :lol: I nearly forgot about that with all of the Fury and Afterburn love.
11.jpg

12.jpg

Hey Brad and Franklin!
13.jpg

TPR giving Intimidator some love!

Fury for an hour was so much fun. It's one of the easiest coasters to ride over and over again. This made it a favorite for a lot of people on the tour! I really like Fury because I can hang over the side, lean left and right, pretty much just take advantage of the freedom those B&M clamshells give you. Combine that with an hour of riding I'm pretty sure I got every angle I could on the hills, turns, and that special diving wave turn/treble clef.
14.jpg

Bzzzzzzzzz Fury 3 2 5 E R T
15.jpg

Fury looks amazing at night.
16.jpg

MERCH MADNESS HAS BEGUN!!! (Robb photo credit!)
18.jpg

Big shout out to the crew. Thanks for all the rides!
17.jpg

Bye Fury, see you next year!

After an hour of Fury, some of us weren't ready for bed yet so we took over the late night window at Cook Out once we got to the hotel. What is Cook Out? It's a quick service restaurant that serves up shakes, fries, burgers, chicken, all of your favorite foods. For cheap!!! https://cookout.com/menu/ You can get a combo with 2 sides for like, $5. Or floats. Or just a gallon of Cheerwine. TPR loves Cook Out and this won't be the last you see of it!
30.JPG

31.JPG

Yes, these prices are real. This is a real place. I don't know how it's so cheap and so good just go find the closest Cook Out!

That'll cap day 3.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!