The Ytterbium Analysis

Photo Trip Reports and More!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: The Ytterbium Analysis

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:11 pm

You both totally should go! I feel like Kings Island is a very underrated park. They don't really have that heart pounding super intense coaster that a lot of enthusiasts love, so it gets passed over. But they do have a lot to offer and it's very well rounded. Makes for a nice relaxing day.

Postby prozach626 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:39 am

It would be hard to have a bad day at King's Island. I'm glad your experience was no exception. Nice pictures.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:11 pm

Glad you had a great visit! Diamondback is such a fun ride and good on ya for trying the local flavors. KI gets 5 stars in that department. It's so refreshing to have quality food options.

So cool to get a solo ride on the Rapids. That's pretty unique haha.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:09 pm

Great stuff, Andrew!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:01 pm

Great report! Kings Island has so many strong night rides so it's certainly hard to choose which ones to ride.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lake Winnepesaukah & Alabama Splash Adventure

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:58 am

Thanks everyone!

Day 3: We Built This City on Soak ‘n’ Roll

Having done pretty much everything I came to Kings Island to do on Friday, I decided to make Saturday a waterpark day. I started off with Early Entry on Diamondback and Mystic Timbers again, then rope dropped Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown before taking the train to the waterpark. There won’t be very many photos this time, because I was in a waterpark and I don’t want to be that creepy guy taking photos in a waterpark.

I started off with Tropical Plunge, which is a very fun complex and similar to the one at Oceans of Fun, before checking out the critically acclaimed Island Barbecue. It was very sweet, but otherwise pretty good, especially paired with a Kona.

20180818_124124.jpg
Don't adjust your screen. The blue light is not a filter. The air in Soak City is just that tropically fresh.

After lunch, it was time to check out the park’s lazy river—and it is the absolute best one I have ever experienced. I loved all the things that spray, and there are quite a few, but plenty of space in between for just relaxing too. I literally spent about half my waterpark time going around and around the lazy river. Come to think of it, this is actually the ride at Kings Island that I rode the most, including the dry side.

Thunder Falls is fantastic! It’s an older slide, just exciting enough but not too intense either. It’s old school and very well done.

But the crown jewel of Soak City is Tropical Twister. Ho. Ly. Sh*t. It’s so unassuming, but the airtime just gets bigger and bigger. This is one of the best waterslides I have been on anywhere, and I’ve never seen anything else quite like it. So much fun.

The forecast was for rain, but it never actually materialized and most of the day lines were very short because of it. For the most part, I got on everything right away, but late in the afternoon, attendance did pick up and I headed back to the dry side. Since it had worked so well the previous night, I just repeated my course of Bat at sunset, Diamondback at twilight, and Beast after dark, front row.

A guy I work with who is from Cincinnati had told me about Gold Star Chili. The last time I was in town, I had Skyline, but I didn’t know about Gold Star. There was one of each chain within walking distance of my hotel, so I headed out to Gold Star that night. Very good stuff; a little sweeter than Skyline, so I think I prefer Skyline myself, but still very good.

20180818_215541.jpg
Gold Star is a very unassuming diner. It's very comfortable with who it is.

20180818_220059.jpg
Cincinnati chili credit!

That was the end of my time at Kings Island, but I wasn’t done with Cincinnati quite yet. Stay tuned for the first cultural day of the trip!

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby JT325 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:56 pm

^Gawd that plate looks so good! Do I not see a layer of onions under the cheese? I'll have to check out Gold Star when I'm there next, I was always nuts about Skyline.

Which reminds me of when people think of Chicago (my home): "Oh, you have to go to Lou Malnati's." It's so tired to people who live here; there are a thousand local, mom & pop places that are better than Lou's... closer and cheaper too. It's just such a touristy/yuppie thing to do for many of us Chicagoans. You wouldn't catch us at a Lou Malnati's when we have better across the street. So that's always my stance... meanwhile, when I think of KI and Cinci, I'm all "oh yeah! Skyline Chili!" Doing the same thing I complain about, but the tables are turned. haha.
#CPFrontierLift2019

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:58 pm

But the crown jewel of Soak City is Tropical Twister. Ho. Ly. Sh*t. It’s so unassuming, but the airtime just gets bigger and bigger. This is one of the best waterslides I have been on anywhere, and I’ve never seen anything else quite like it. So much fun.

Ahhh...if I would have known that you did that slide, I would have had you ask my Dad about that one when we were at CP. I would have been curious as to what his response would have been when you mentioned that particular slide. :lmao:

We all did that one a few years ago and he somehow managed to cut his arm while going down and was bleeding to the point where we had to go First Aid for a Band Aid. Not crazy and needing stitches or anything, but we could tell that he was visibly shaken up from the whole experience.

I don't think that he's been on another water slide since....he said "fudge that noise - I'm too old for this shit. I'm sticking to the wave pools and lazy rivers from now on!" Which are the only two things that he and Lani did when we were at Cedar Shores a few weeks ago. :lol:

Michael did it too and wasn't impressed either. Just a tad too aggressive when you're over 65, I suppose. I recall it being a very intense slide where you better close your eyes, plug your nose & hope for the best!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:09 pm

^^ Yep, it's 4 way with onions. 4 way has a choice of onions or beans, and 5 way includes both.

^ I can definitely understand that opinion. I rode it several times that day but generally went straight to the lazy river afterward.

Oddly enough, I also had an extremely minor injury at CP Shores...but let's save that story for its place in the narrative. ;)

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby coasternut » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:20 am

Great trip report. I really love K.I. so much more than it's neighbor to the north. All their rides run, and the ride-ops are great! They actually make eye contact and speak to you! What a novel idea... On Diamondback they actually take your loose articles from you before you sit down, and put them in the bin. No drama on this ride like Sven.

Also they not only have 1 Skyline Chili but 2! I always enjoy it when I'm at the park. Just too bad they close so early in August from daily operations. :cry: I guess all the kids are back in school.
Coasternut,

LIVING FOR THAT AIRTIME!! :airtime:
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com]Image

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!