TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Waterville USA Closing Cannonball Run

Yesterday Waterville USA announced they will be closing Cannonball Run at the end of the 2018 season:

GULF SHORES, Ala. (WKRG) - Waterville USA will permanently remove the park's roller coaster, Cannonball Run, at the end of the 2018 season in September.

The theme park made the announcement in a news release Tuesday morning.

Removing the roller coaster, which has been part of the amusement park since 1995, will "make room for even more exciting attractions," according to Joe Warrington, President of Waterville USA, although the news release did not reveal any details about what will replace the attraction.

Waterville USA is a 20-acre water and amusement park in Gulf Shores.

LINK

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a shock--I was quite disappointed at first, but I'll live. It being a wooden coaster, it always had a spot on my "someday" list--I still care about those out-of-the-way, lower-tier woodies even though they're not my highest priority.

I feel for those who will miss it or are really down about not getting to ride it, though.

^Definitely! As bad as Thunderbolt at Coney Island was, I have to see if they've made improvements to the design. Plus Panama City has a Hurricane model that was closed on my last visit, and Pensacola added a Galaxi to their park this year. I was planning a Texas roadtrip for next year that would include these things on the way but this pushes up the timeline and honestly makes that trip a bit easier.

I rode Cannonball Run a few times on my only visit around 4 years ago in September on my way to a football game. I enjoyed the ride but it was in pretty rough shape if I remember correctly. Hope they replace it with something fun.

I mean let's be real here. It is mainly a parking lot coaster. I don't expect anything large will replace the ride. I suspect his is purely a "e don't want to spend the money maintaining this ride anymore" move.

Based on that map, I see some Go Karts and Mini Golf replacing the Bus Lot? (Or whatever that bus is) and moving the bus lot somewhere else

It really feels like the park won't be gaining much land from the removal of this coaster save for the station and the brake run... I'm wondering if they actually intend to remove the structure after the ride's closure. It definitely feels like this park is more in the market to expand their water park, but for a coaster that isn't that old, I'm pretty surprised that they'd be ok with removing an anchor like this.

• 3 weeks later...
I mean let's be real here. It is mainly a parking lot coaster. I don't expect anything large will replace the ride. I suspect his is purely a "we don't want to spend the money maintaining this ride anymore" move.

Exactly. This ride is absoultely nothing to write home about or go out of the way for. I think I've driven right past this ride on a number of occasions. Been on it once, and was never worth going out of my way for again.

Isn't this the ride that had to have the lift motor re-built because some idiot ride op was screwing around with the lift hill stopping and starting it "for fun?"

Edited by robbalvey

Isn't this the ride that had to have the lift motor re-built because some idiot ride op was screwing around with the lift hill stopping and starting it "for fun?"

Yep. IIRC, that led to a lawsuit between the park and CCI. The ride was never listed on the CCI website and I've always believed that was why.