My first ever coaster road trip

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.
 
Posts: 663
Joined: 14 Dec 2010
Location: Virginia
Gender: Male
Age: 58

Re: My first ever coaster road trip

Postby bill_s » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:33 am

RobertWord wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are saying isn't physically possible.


It pulls -2 Gs, sometimes over. Much less and it valleys. If being pushed hard against the restraint and then even harder doesn't feel like airtime to you, that is your opinion, but still it is not technically the same as saying it has little air. Myself, it find it surprising how that doesn't always mean I love it (despite decades waiting for the industry to give it to me), but it is very powerful and bull riding like. Floater air is sometimes freakier and minimally restrained air also. It can also be more sustained because they're not burning potential energy as fast.

Also if you didn't ride Toro (or Nitro) (or Batman)at night, suffice to say it makes a big difference.

Other than that bit of head scratching, good report!

I think Intamin should make a donkey!
User avatar
 
Posts: 154
Joined: 23 Oct 2017
Location: Greensboro, NC
Gender: Male
Age: 45

Re: My first ever coaster road trip

Postby hoppedup » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:38 am

El Toro not intense? ROAR was your favorite at SFA? Can't say we agree on those points, but I do enjoy reading other people's opinions. FWIW, I thought Superman ROS was the best coaster at SFA. It's funny, my daughter refused to ride Joker's Jinx based on the look of it. I thought it was great and didn't know until afterward that it's Flight of Fear outside. She loved FoF, BTW.

Thunderhead at Dollywood is a pretty great coaster. From your thoughts on El Toro and ROAR, I'll be curious to see what you think of it.
Last edited by hoppedup on Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:49 am.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 13375
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: The bar
Gender: Male
Age: 30

Re: My first ever coaster road trip

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:43 am

I get the Roar thing. We usually end up riding that more than anything else when we visit the park (almost exclusively during Holiday in the Park).

Personally I probably prefer Superman and maybe Joker's Jynx and Wild One depending on the day but ever since they did some work on it a few years ago it's been a really fun ride.

As for the El Toro thing... I don't get it, but everyone likes different things.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain
User avatar
 
Posts: 6822
Joined: 10 Feb 2014
Location: Philthadelphia
Gender: None specified

Re: My first ever coaster road trip

Postby boldikus » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:50 am

RobertWord wrote:Something else that I think is worth mentioning before I get into the rides is the behavior of some of the other guests. I've honestly never heard so much cussing in my whole life. Now I'm no saint, but it seems like with some people the F word was used every 6th word. Obviously this is just one visit but it was far beyond anything at any other park. And it wasn't just young kids, it was adults too. Is it a jersey thing? Philly thing? East coast..


Yes. :lol: :lol:

Can I park my donkey here?
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 21 Jan 2018
Gender: None specified

Re: My first ever coaster road trip

Postby RobertWord » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:01 pm

grsupercity wrote:I am enjoying your report so far. Look forward to the rest


Thanks, I am really enjoying the trip, and Kings Dominion has been awesome even though volcano is down.

Can I park my donkey here?
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 21 Jan 2018
Gender: None specified

Re: My first ever coaster road trip

Postby RobertWord » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:10 pm

bill_s wrote:
RobertWord wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are saying isn't physically possible.


It pulls -2 Gs, sometimes over. Much less and it valleys. If being pushed hard against the restraint and then even harder doesn't feel like airtime to you, that is your opinion, but still it is not technically the same as saying it has little air. Myself, it find it surprising how that doesn't always mean I love it (despite decades waiting for the industry to give it to me), but it is very powerful and bull riding like. Floater air is sometimes freakier and minimally restrained air also. It can also be more sustained because they're not burning potential energy as fast.

Also if you didn't ride Toro (or Nitro) (or Batman)at night, suffice to say it makes a big difference.

Other than that bit of head scratching, good report!


Hmm, ok. I'm still a little confused. I didn't say there wasn't any airtime on the coaster. The moments it had were good, I was just expecting more of them.

Can I park my donkey here?
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 21 Jan 2018
Gender: None specified

Re: My first ever coaster road trip

Postby RobertWord » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:13 pm

hoppedup wrote:El Toro not intense? ROAR was your favorite at SFA? Can't say we agree on those points, but I do enjoy reading other people's opinions. FWIW, I thought Superman ROS was the best coaster at SFA. It's funny, my daughter refused to ride Joker's Jinx based on the look of it. I thought it was great and didn't know until afterward that it's Flight of Fear outside. She loved FoF, BTW.

Thunderhead at Dollywood is a pretty great coaster. From your thoughts on El Toro and ROAR, I'll be curious to see what you think of it.


What do you not like about Roar? And I didn't say El Toro was not intense, just not as intense as I was expecting.

Can I park my donkey here?
 
Posts: 40
Joined: 21 Jan 2018
Gender: None specified

Re: My first ever coaster road trip

Postby RobertWord » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:02 pm

Hey everyone, currently I am at a relatives place in Virginia Beach, just relaxing by the pool, and building up the stamina for the rest of the trip. Thursday at Kings Dominion and Friday at Busch Gardens really took a lot out of me. The temperature was miserably hot, but I had an absolute blast at both parks.

My first impressions of Kings Dominion were that it is a very nice park, pretty much in line with what I would expect from visiting cedar point and Kings island all the time. Volcano was closed which was too bad because I was really looking forward to riding it. But they do have a very good lineup.

Twisted Timbers IMO is the star attraction and it's really too bad this had to come out the same year as steel vengeance. Because if it was not for vengeance I would think that this is the ride everyone would be talking about. This coaster is freaking phenomenal. The barrel roll drop is an incredible feeling, then the turn around the station is very intense and then it goes into 3 great airtime hills. What a start to a ride! Then that inverted turnaround is great. I mean this coaster has it all, intensity, and a ton of airtime. I have a brand new #2 overall. Grade: A+

Intimidator 305: if this one had more airtime I might have ranked it ahead of steel vengeance. But for now it takes my overall #3 spot. The intensity is awesome, although I did not grey out, which was somewhat disappointing. But the Maverick-like turns were really intense as was the turn after the drop. I was the only one who wanted to ride this more than twice. Grade: A

Dominator: I was the only one in my group that enjoyed this one. Others found it too rough, I thought it was a little shaky, certainly more than Bizarro, but not too much that it isn't enjoyable. This one kind of reminds me of Rougarou. The first half is really solid, but the back half is just ok. It was a fun ride but kind of left me wanting more. Grade: B-

Rebel Yell: yeah I'm not calling it by the new dumb name... This was fantastic. It was a smooth ride with lots of airtime moments. I really enjoy these older woodies. Obviously not as intense as the GCI's, but they still provide a very fun ride. Grade: B

Anaconda: call me crazy, but that was not a bad ride at all. Now it wasn't good either, but based on others' opinions I was expecting this to be down right awful. But I've also not hated the other 2 arrow loopers at CP and KI so it really should be no surprise that I didn't hate this one. I actually thought the slow corkscrews over the water were fun. Grade: C+

Avalanche: I only got on this once and I wish I had more rides because I really enjoyed this. But since volcano was closed we didn't spend much time at that end of the park. Not too intense, and no airtime, but a very enjoyable ride. Grade: C+

Grizzly: now I normally don't mind rough rides, but the roughness of this one was too much for me. The jack hammering that I got on this made is too hard to enjoy. Grade: D

Apple Zapple: cute little wild mouse, but nothing special. It was enjoyable but not thrilling. Grade: C

I didn't do Backlot or Flight of Fear. I've been on both at KI and I'd rather get rides on I305 and TT than do something I've done before. I also didn't do any flat rides as they didn't have anything I hadn't done before at another park. And even though it was ridiculously hot I didn't get wet.

So in closing it was a blast and this might be my 2nd overall favorite park behind Cedar Point.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!
User avatar
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Location: Dearborn, MI
Gender: Male
Age: 35

Re: My first ever coaster road trip

Postby AndrewA86 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:00 am

RobertWord wrote:
hoppedup wrote:El Toro not intense? ROAR was your favorite at SFA? Can't say we agree on those points, but I do enjoy reading other people's opinions. FWIW, I thought Superman ROS was the best coaster at SFA. It's funny, my daughter refused to ride Joker's Jinx based on the look of it. I thought it was great and didn't know until afterward that it's Flight of Fear outside. She loved FoF, BTW.

Thunderhead at Dollywood is a pretty great coaster. From your thoughts on El Toro and ROAR, I'll be curious to see what you think of it.


What do you not like about Roar? And I didn't say El Toro was not intense, just not as intense as I was expecting.


Roar is the definition of rough. But I wasn’t exactly blown away by EL Toro either. In fact I would say it’s the definition of overrated. It’s a good ride but I don’t get how people think it’s elite. I don’t think there’s any comparison to any of the RMC’s, giga’s, or the better hypers that I have been on.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain
User avatar
 
Posts: 6822
Joined: 10 Feb 2014
Location: Philthadelphia
Gender: None specified

Re: My first ever coaster road trip

Postby boldikus » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:18 am

My god. :lol: Where did you people sit on El Toro? I'm all for people having a differing/minority opinions about coasters but the idea that El freakin Toro is not intense, not elite or (gasp!) "the definition of overrated" is absolutely mind boggling to me.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron