My first ever coaster road trip

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: My first ever coaster road trip

Postby bert425 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:34 am

glad you enjoyed Kennywood. . yeah, that 2nd drop on Phantom (THRU Thunderbolt !!!) is a classic.

did you not do their other rare flats? (Kangaroo, Bayurn Kurve, Turtle, Noah's Ark)?. . all well worth a ride.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby RobertWord » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:06 pm

Didn't do Noah's Ark. I loved Bayurn Kurve, seemed like I was going a lot faster than I was.Kangaroo was very fun. I got some good pops of air on that. Turtle was ok, nothing special.

Postby RobertWord » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:08 pm

So while I have some time just relaxing in the hotel room I thought it would be a good time to reflect on my Great Adventure and Six Flags America experiences.

I had an absolute blast at Great Adventure. I've heard some people call the park ugly. I don't necessarily agree with that. Some parts are certainly less desirable than others. I think the area to the left by El Toro and Kingda Ka were nice. The area you walk through to get to Superman and the stand up coaster is just pavement and reminds me of a typical county fair, which there is nothing wrong with that. But the area around Nitro and Batman could use some work. It looks like they built that section of the park with scrap metal. If they would just paint it or something it would look a whole lot better.

Something else that I think is worth mentioning before I get into the rides is the behavior of some of the other guests. I've honestly never heard so much cussing in my whole life. Now I'm no saint, but it seems like with some people the F word was used every 6th word. Obviously this is just one visit but it was far beyond anything at any other park. And it wasn't just young kids, it was adults too. Is it a jersey thing? Philly thing? East coast..

So with that said lets get into the rides, and I may as well start with an opinion that I know will be VERY controversial. El Toro just did not live up to the hype. It's a good ride, but with it being TPR's #1 coaster for 2017 and with a bunch of other folks saying that it's one of the top coasters in the world I expected it to be a top 5 coaster for me (only been to Cedar point, KI, and Kennywood before this) and easily my top woodie. But it is neither. There are 2 categories that make me really love a coaster, intensity and airtime and I was informed that El Toro had a crap load of both, and it had a little of both but not to the extent I was expecting. I thought Thunderbolt at Kennywood was more intense. It was definitely a fun ride, but I wish I didn't go in with the kind of expectations that I did. Grade: B

Blizzaro: I really liked this one. Obviously there isn't a lot of air time, that's not what this is designed for, but it was fairly intense. The inversions were fun and it was glossy smooth. Grade: B+

Kingda Ka: this one is as intense as Top Thrill Dragster, but not nearly as enjoyable. The biggest reason is the restraints along with the somewhat rough launch. I ended up banging my chin against the hard restraint. I only rode this twice because they don't allow small objects to be placed in zipped pockets and I wasn't going to waste money buying a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo. I've honestly never seen a more ridiculous policy. I could totally understand if people didn't have a secure pocket to put things in, but for people who have zipped pockets it's completely ridiculous. So I rode in the very front and towards the back. The front is way better, and a lot smoother. The back is when I banged my chin. If they had Maverick style restraints it would be a lot better. Grade: B-

Nitro: this one has some unbelievable airtime. And the employees didn't even try to push the lap bar down. They would just tap on it and make sure it didn't come up. Easily the best B&M hyper I've ever been on (out of 2 lol). I can't give it an A because I thought it lacked the kind of intensity I would give an A to, but this was a very enjoyable ride. Grade: A-

Batman: another very enjoyable ride, you can't go wrong with a B&M invert. I do however think this one is inferior to the other 2 I have ridden, Banshee and Raptor. I just didn't think it was as out of control or as intense as the other 2, but it's still very enjoyable, very fun, very smooth. Grade: B

Joker: this one surprised me. Before I rode this I did not think I was going to like it, but I loved it. It was so disorienting and that made it pretty intense. I just wish it were longer. Grade: B

Dark Knight: just a wild mouse indoors, fun, but nothing special. I think the fun thing about a wild. Ouse is the feeling of going over the edge, but on this one you can't see the edge. A lot of people like the show in the queue. I've never seen the newer batman's so I didn't really get it. Grade: C

Superman: I'm not the biggest fan of flying coasters but I was excited to see if the B&M ones were better than Firehawk, and I think it is, but not by much. The thrill here I guess is just being on your belly looking straight down, but it just doesn't do it for me. I think it would be better of there were some near miss elements. Grade: C+

Skull Mountain: This one really caught me off guard. It was a lot better than I thought it would be. I ended up riding this 3 times. The first time was in like row 4 because I figured it would be lame, but it was pretty forceful the way it whipped you around. So then I had to ride in the back thinking it would be more intense and I was right. I also think that being in the dark adds to this ride unlike the wild mouse because you don't know which way you will be whipped until it's over, even after a couple rides in a row. Grade: B-

So that's all the coasters I rode. I don't ride stand up ones for obvious reasons, so I skipped that one. Plus I skipped the mine train and other family one. I did ride the Ferris wheel and sky screamer. Both were what I expected.

Overall the park was very fun and enjoyable, but a tad underwhelming because of El Toro.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Satans Hockey » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:50 pm

When you're in the Dollywood area definitely do one of the mountain coasters. It only takes a few mins and they are a blast. We only did the goats on the roof mountain coaster during the day and came back at night cause rerides are cheaper the same day. Awesome experience.

I think you just hyped El Toro up in your head too much, it's an absolute amazing coaster and only setting some unrealistic bar would leave anyone disappointed coming off that ride. Did you get to try Justice League? It's really a great ride too.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby bill_s » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:15 pm

I have gone to Great Adv. 3 times since El Toro and every time my daytime rides I don't enjoy as much as I expect. But a little airtime and intensity? It has as strong of airtime as anything I'd want to ride without something good to hold on to (fortunately you can hold on to the bars on each side of you on Skyrush) and is very intense. And night time rides are incredible. I enjoy hypers and airtime machines so much more then. It seems that I like inversions and curves more during the day. Since El Toro is somewhat uncomfortable for me, the difference is even larger.

Postby RobertWord » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:47 am

Satans Hockey wrote:When you're in the Dollywood area definitely do one of the mountain coasters. It only takes a few mins and they are a blast. We only did the goats on the roof mountain coaster during the day and came back at night cause rerides are cheaper the same day. Awesome experience.

I think you just hyped El Toro up in your head too much, it's an absolute amazing coaster and only setting some unrealistic bar would leave anyone disappointed coming off that ride. Did you get to try Justice League? It's really a great ride too.

Thanks for the tip on the mountain coasters. That looks like something I would enjoy.

I don't think I hyped up El Toro too much. I didn't expect it to be better than Steel Vengeance. But I did expect it to be my #1 woodie, and like I have been saying, I haven't been to too many parks, but it's not even my #2 woodie. And I expected it to be a top 5 coaster overall and it's not. I don't think those are high expectations based on what others have said, especially this site naming it the #1 overall coaster.

bill_s wrote:I have gone to Great Adv. 3 times since El Toro and every time my daytime rides I don't enjoy as much as I expect. But a little airtime and intensity? It has as strong of airtime as anything I'd want to ride without something good to hold on to (fortunately you can hold on to the bars on each side of you on Skyrush) and is very intense. And night time rides are incredible. I enjoy hypers and airtime machines so much more then. It seems that I like inversions and curves more during the day. Since El Toro is somewhat uncomfortable for me, the difference is even larger.

I thought Mystic Timbers had more airtime, and I wasn't blown away by that one. I had 6 rides on El Toro and it just didn't deliver for me, the airtime was minimal and it was not that intense at alI.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby bill_s » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:49 am

^^-- not physically possible.

Postby RobertWord » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:26 am

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are saying isn't physically possible.

Postby RobertWord » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:55 am

So while I am sitting here in DC traffic I figure it's a decent time to talk about Six Flags America. We only spent 4 hours here yesterday but I don't think we needed more. It wasn't a beautiful park but not ugly either. I got on 6 of their coasters and I thought they all were very enjoyable.

My favorite coaster there was Roar. It's only my second GCI, but man this thing hauled @$$. It was pretty nenes and the airtime was pretty good. It wasn't as smooth as El Toro or Mystic Timbers but it wasn't rough either. I really liked this and it made me really excited to ride Thunderhead at Dollywood. Grade: B

Superman: probably the weakest hyper I've ever been on, but still a lot of fun. I appreciate the fact that they tried something totally different with the layout but I would prefer more airtime. Grade: B-

Wild One: for being as old as it is it is damn near glossy smooth. I just wish that it did more. I like the one near miss when you drop down after the turnaround and the airtime you get on that drop is really good, in fact I think it's pretty comparable to the air you get on the drop after the MCBR on Steel Vengeance. The helix at the end is also very fun and very forceful. This is a very good ride! Grade: B

Joker's Jinx: so I guess this is flight of fear but outside and without stopping halfway through the ride. i really enjoyed this mostly because of how it is just relentless from start to finish. There's no first drop and not a whole lot of airtime so I can't rank it up there with the better coasters I have been in, but I loved it! Grade: B-

Batwing: again, not a fan of flying coasters. If this isn't a clone of Firehawk it's pretty similar except it's a lot rougher. I didn't really enjoy this because of the roughness and the fact that it's not intense. Grade: C-

Ragin Cajun: just a spinning wild mouse, not a lot to say about it except that it was at least smooth and enjoyable, but certainly not thrilling at all. Grade: C

Another thing I would like to mention is how great the employees were at this park. Very enthusiastic, and very friendly.

Overall I enjoyed the short visit, and I think this park packs a pretty good punch for its size.

Now on to Kings Dominion if we ever get there. Damn you DC traffic!!!

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby grsupercity » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:29 am

I am enjoying your report so far. Look forward to the rest
Best Wood Lightning Rod....Goliath SFGAM....Shivering Timbers....Storm Chaser...Voyage
Best Steel Maverick...Lighting Run.....Montu...Mako..Fury...Afterburn...Manta
Honorable mentions Kumba..Raging Bull..Legend..Cornball..M Force..Rapter..Mr Freeze

You know what....Way to many good coasters the best :lmao:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!