TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Carousels of New York City

Along with yellow-checkered taxis, the best pizza, Broadway, the Empire State Building, Wall Street, Central Park, the Statue of Liberty, the Met, and other touristic highlights, New York City seems to have an extraordinary number of carousels. I don't have an exact count, but there are something like 14 permanent merry-go-rounds in the Five Boroughs. Every summer, I try to visit a few of them, and I thought it would be fun to share highlights in a thread. Happy Summer Solstice (this Thursday).

I'm going to start with one that I rode and photographed a couple of years ago, the SeaGlass Carousel in Battery Park, which is New York's newest major carousel, unless I'm mistaken. It's been mentioned here on TPR before, and it's worth mentioning again, because it's truly beautiful. You can read about all the technical stuff in the article, but just looking at it tells you how unique it is. It has beautiful lighting and music, an unconventional design, and it's as much a fine artwork as it is a carousel. The theme hearkens back to the days when the New York Aquarium, one of the first public aquariums in America, was located in Battery Park from 1896 until 1941, when Parks Commissioner Robert Moses controversially moved it to Coney Island, home of other famous carousels of course (Read Robert Caro's "The Power Broker" for that story, if you're an NYC history buff). The SeaGlass Carousel opened in August of 2015. I visited that October and was spellbound.

It costs $5 to ride, and I urge you to check it out when you're next exploring Lower Manhattan.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

0001.jpg.315e8e839887a83a025120cbc3d551a1.jpg

SeaGlass Carousel

0002.thumb.jpg.e3d8a718c9c96627eff23971c486fcc2.jpg

SeaGlass Carousel

0003.jpg.26666666d71f3c8a54940690455a33d4.jpg

SeaGlass Carousel

0004.jpg.77b91daeacd491208232bf76c18ddcab.jpg

SeaGlass Carousel

0005.jpg.38cdf180a28f977d26f891b5398286fe.jpg

SeaGlass Carousel

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful looking ride! This sounds like how Portland OR used to be, with several Carousels and Merry-Go-Rounds around the city.

Not as many there any more, sadly.

I also enjoyed the classical music they used. I don't remember the title, but I definitely recognized the music. Perfect for the cycle of this ride.

Thanks for starting a definitely unique ride thread! Looking forward to more of your finds.

P.S. Watching the video, this actually reminds me of the Tea Cups in Disneyland....only moving much MUCH slower. And you can't spin the fish, lol.

I LOVE this thread already, and that Seaglass Carousel is a STUNNING work of art! Absolutely beautiful. I like how they used a bubble effect on the glass for the ride signage - just perfect. Only real bubbles floating around while in motion would make it even more triptastic. Thank you for sharing since I never knew it existed, and now I really hope to check it out on my next visit to NYC.

I'm really looking forward to discovering more carousels I never knew existed in this unique thread!