Photo TR: Andy's Visit to Frontier City

A May 2018 Stop in Oklahoma
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Re: Photo TR: Andy's Visit to Frontier City

Postby boldikus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:51 am

As always amazing photos and nice report of a park I don't hear all that much about, especially interesting to read after the recent SF (re)acquisition. I rode Lightning Loops a couple of times back when it was @ Great Adv in the 80s and while the ride experience itself has always been a bit foggy to me, the climbing all those steps and how to station would shake when the train launched are perfectly vivid - I think as a little kid that scared me more than riding.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby The Great Zo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:It almost looks as if Wildcat used to have a splashdown with that straightaway at the end. Maybe that's where Roller Coaster Tycoon got that element from.

It does kind of look like that, as it does drop into a trough. I have no idea how you'd do that on a wooden coaster, though! The funny thing is that the train goes through that part fairly slowly, as the brake run is just before it.

thrillseeker4552 wrote:I completely forgot the park has one of the few operating Arrow shuttle loops out there (this, the one at Elitch, and the one at Blackpool - is that it?).

From what I could tell, I think you're correct!

bert425 wrote:did you eat while there? how was the food? (I'm wondering if standard Theme Park food, or if they had more localized food offerings)?

I did not, actually. Sadly it looked to me like it was pretty typical low-end meal service stuff, nothing unique that I could find. I waited until I left the park and then went to a place called Cafe 7 about 10 miles away en route to my next destination.

mattnz wrote:Awesome stuff Andy always enjoy your TRs and photos.

Thank you Matt, always great to hear from you!

boldikus wrote:I rode Lightning Loops a couple of times back when it was @ Great Adv in the 80s and while the ride experience itself has always been a bit foggy to me, the climbing all those steps and how to station would shake when the train launched are perfectly vivid - I think as a little kid that scared me more than riding.

I can see how that would scare a kid! Honestly it's just such a weird queue/station setup, and even if the ride's not that great, it's cool for a park of this size to keep one around.
-- Andy

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:06 pm

Loved this report, especially with all the detail. I'm running out of parks to visit in the US and this one has to be on the agenda one of these days (or years). I've never been able to ride one of the Arrow launched loopers and want to before they likely vanish!

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Blue Turbo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:13 am

Great report as always Andy!

I almost visited the park last year on my move/road trip from Arizona to New York, but as I was traveling before memorial day, so the park wasn't open the day that I passed through. I would definitely like to check it out if I'm ever in the area.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Shavethewhales » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:49 am

The Great Zo wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:It almost looks as if Wildcat used to have a splashdown with that straightaway at the end. Maybe that's where Roller Coaster Tycoon got that element from.

It does kind of look like that, as it does drop into a trough. I have no idea how you'd do that on a wooden coaster, though! The funny thing is that the train goes through that part fairly slowly, as the brake run is just before it.

I want to say that the original water break on a wooden coaster was somewhere in England? This one was a huge cluster****. They screwed up the back half of Wildcat even more to fit it in, and then found that it was tearing up the trains so after the first season it was no longer in use.

They seriously need to re-do the entire second half of Wildcat. Now that "fixing" old wooden coasters is becoming a norm, I'm hoping they get the drift.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:48 pm

Agreed on Wildcat and Quick Draw--I think Wildcat is underappreciated. It's really fun and I'm glad it was given a second life here.

I want to like Quick Draw, and I usually do like dark rides, but I just don't care for this one.

Too bad you didn't get to do the flume. It's really great. That tunnel is so long, and much appreciated on hot Oklahoma days.

Overall great pics and review of a great small park!
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Postby The Great Zo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:04 pm

Thanks everyone!

Blue Turbo wrote:I almost visited the park last year on my move/road trip from Arizona to New York, but as I was traveling before memorial day, so the park wasn't open the day that I passed through. I would definitely like to check it out if I'm ever in the area.

That's part of the reason I haven't gone before, despite this being my fourth trip to Oklahoma in 10 years -- their operating schedule on the fringes of the summer is a little funky. Thankfully, I had a free Saturday while they were open!

Alright, so, I can never just leave a trip report thread to theme parks only, so ... what else is there to do in Oklahoma?

Bonus pictures!
okc_0001.jpg
So, you're flying into Oklahoma City, where they love their native son Will Rogers -- their airport (the location of this statue) is even named after him.
okc_0002.jpg
It's Oklahoma, so you might even catch a thunderstorm in the distance on your way in!
okc_0003.jpg
This was my office for the week...
okc_0005.jpg
...so what's there to do in and near OKC while you're not at work?
okc_0006.jpg
Most people know of Bricktown, their tourist district downtown, though to me it seems like a pale impression of the San Antonio Riverwalk.
okc_0007.jpg
Still, you can play a game of mini-golf...
okc_0010.jpg
...or head to the park for some AAA baseball.
okc_0011.jpg
OKC's team is the top affiliate of the LA Dodgers.
okc_0013.jpg
If you are into baseball, it's a good place to catch a game.
okc_0015.jpg
Even if the home team is getting thrown out at second.
okc_0020.jpg
Fireworks on Friday nights are a bonus!
okc_0120.jpg
At Tinker Air Force Base, there's a collection of old military airplanes on display, including an Air Force One.
okc_0200.jpg
Or, maybe you'd like to tour the state capitol!
okc_0205.jpg
Perhaps try your hand at doing a better job than the governor?
okc_0210.jpg
Any political concerns aside, state capitol buildings are always really awesome to explore.
okc_0225.jpg
And it's got a cool, vertigo-inducing dome...
okc_0226.jpg
...with the state seal in the middle.
okc_0260.jpg
Perhaps you'd like to venture over to Lake Hefner, and take a walk out by the lighthouse.
okc_0262.jpg
Or for the adventurous, maybe try some windsurfing!
okc_0264.jpg
Alternatively, just hang out on shore and look at the birds.
okc_0301.jpg
But if you've got a day to spare, as I did, head an hour and a half southwest of Oklahoma City to the Wichita Mountains. Believe it or not, the generally-flat-ish state of Oklahoma has some pretty cool scenery!
okc_0302.jpg
I first stopped to see a formation known as Heart Rock, named as such for obvious reasons.
okc_0304.jpg
However, I climbed a little further, and saw this imposing figure in the distance.
okc_0306.jpg
So, I decided to climb it.

And yes, there's a person in this photo for scale -- if you look really, really hard.
okc_0308.jpg
Yep, I'm sure most people wouldn't look at this mass of monolithic rock and attempt a climb -- much less with no trail, no safety equipment, and no real plan for how to do it.

I am not most people.
okc_0310.jpg
So, I made my ascent to the top of Bat Cave Peak, which -- as should be obvious -- is a remarkably exposed piece of rock. It is /not/ easy to get to.
okc_0312.jpg
The summit area actually requires some climbing moves to get up!
okc_0314.jpg
First, there's a lot of tricky route-finding and big steps -- nothing too hard.
okc_0316.jpg
Once you reach the ridge, though, it's all rock from there on out.
okc_0320.jpg
Yep, you've gotta climb this slope. It's basically 10-15 feet in the vertical, at greater than a 45 degree angle, with less to grip than it appears in the picture.
okc_0322.jpg
And then to finish it off, you have to jump the gap from the rock on the right to the rock on the left (picture taken from below later).
okc_0324.jpg
And then you make it to the top!

(and realize someone else has beaten you there...)
okc_0326.jpg
But it's worth it for views such as this.
okc_0330.jpg
Oh, and don't kick a cactus on the way up, or you'll be picking needles from your foot for the next three days. True story.
okc_0332.jpg
If rock climbing isn't your thing, maybe just enjoy the wildlife, like these guys...
okc_0334.jpg
...or this guy...
okc_0340.jpg
...or the prairie dogs.
okc_0342.jpg
Yep, prairie dogs. There are tons of them!
okc_0344.jpg
And they are cute!
okc_0346.jpg
Just look at this little guy!
okc_0348.jpg
There are whole families of them!
okc_0350.jpg
Anyway, back to the scenery...
okc_0352.jpg
For some easy views, take a drive up Mount Scott.
okc_0356.jpg
Yep, Oklahoma is actually kind of pretty in spots.
okc_0358.jpg
No need to climb these rocks -- just drive to the top and take a short walk to enjoy the view.
okc_0360.jpg
If you /wanted/ to do some bouldering, though, have at it.
okc_0362.jpg
Or just look down into the abyss...
okc_0364.jpg
...or out over the plains.
okc_0402.jpg
The sunsets in Oklahoma are pretty great!
okc_0404.jpg
But, sunsets anywhere are pretty great.
okc_0410.jpg
There's a Ferris wheel just south of downtown!
okc_0423.jpg
I didn't ride -- I just stopped for pictures.
okc_0426.jpg
It sure looks nice with the city in the background.
okc_0430.jpg
The tall building is the Devon Tower. It's pretty neat.
okc_0450.jpg
For some quirky urban architecture, check out the Skydance pedestrian bridge over Interstate 40.
okc_0460.jpg
Yep, Oklahoma City -- and Oklahoma in general -- is probably better than you might think!
okc_0470.jpg
Farewell from OKC!
-- Andy

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:57 pm

as I'm sure you can tell from my TRs, I don't like just doing Theme Parks either. . . so I LOVED your "bonus" pics.

looks like a great trip, and that you had some gorgeous weather.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Kemotblue » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:15 am

Next time in you are in Oklahoma City... You need to check out it's adventure themepark right downtown and walking distance from Bricktown. The River District an official U.S. Olympic Training sight. The biggest attraction is the Full Class White Water Rafting Course. The SkyWalk with a zipline , Mega slides, 7 story ropes course, A award wining Bicycle Course they have two courses one for speed and one for Mt. Biking. They also have all kinds of Aquatic sports like Dragon Boat rowing on the river.

Besides the River District the downtown is made up of a number of pocket districts that played a key role in the history of the state and the country. Like Film Row with its kitsch restaurants and bars. Oklahoma City at one time was a Major Hub in the Film transportation industry. Film Row was THE location in the country that major studios would view their movies before they were nationally released major stars.

Some other neighborhoods you will find is the Plaza District, The Paseo which reminds me of a California art type of District, There is Deep Deuce that used to be the Jazz District which now has the largest population of downtown residents. There is a awesome restaurant in the heart of Deep Duece. Called Deep Duece Grill it has some amazing food. Midtown which is now the hottest spot with Locals there is numerous restaurants night life and activities for all ages in this little District just outside of downtown. Back to Bricktown you missed the National Banjo Museum and The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame just a couple of those museums when in Oklahoma you have to visit. Bricktown has more attractions like Bowling, and the Movie Theater.

If your a Coaster Credit Counter besides Frontier City there is an Incredible Pizza Company that has rides and attractions. Inside they have one of those garden variety SBF Visa Spinning Coasters you find at a lot of Family Entertainment Centers.

If I hear anybody that is here in the OKC metro area say they are board I look at them and say you're bored OK come on lets go!

Postby The Great Zo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:47 pm

Kemotblue wrote:Next time in you are in Oklahoma City... You need to check out it's adventure themepark right downtown and walking distance from Bricktown. The River District an official U.S. Olympic Training sight. The biggest attraction is the Full Class White Water Rafting Course. The SkyWalk with a zipline , Mega slides, 7 story ropes course, A award wining Bicycle Course they have two courses one for speed and one for Mt. Biking. They also have all kinds of Aquatic sports like Dragon Boat rowing on the river.

I definitely wanted to get there on this trip but that had to be cut, so it'll be a high priority next time I'm out there.

bert425 wrote:as I'm sure you can tell from my TRs, I don't like just doing Theme Parks either. . . so I LOVED your "bonus" pics.

Yep, I can tell that you do! And thanks!
-- Andy

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!