Testing out a "Mobile" Forum Theme...

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Testing out a "Mobile" Forum Theme...

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:30 pm

For those of you who browse TPR on your mobile phone, please try this "mobile theme".

Here's how to enable it....

1. Click "User Control Panel."
Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 8.25.46 PM.png

2. Select "Board Preferences"
Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 8.25.57 PM.png

3. Choose "Mobie" and click "Submit."
Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 8.26.40 PM.png

When you refresh the page you'll be on the mobile theme.

NOTE that this theme does not look well on a desktop and as of right now I don't have a way to auto-detect or auto-change themes so you'd have to do it manually. But if you're someone who browses the forum almost exclusively on your mobile device this may be a good option for you.

Thank you!
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:44 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Testing out a "Mobile" Forum Theme...

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:46 pm

I enjoy it. It is definitely better than pinching and zooming (and better than Tapatalk since all forum features are retained from what I can tell), although I personally would not use it much since I do almost all of my TPR browsing on my computer.
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:42 pm

Tried it out by squishing my browser as if it were a phone. It's pretty well-organized, that's for sure.

There should be more variation in the colors used, when everything is white text with a blue bubble it's difficult to see at a glance which are page numbers, which is the "new post" warning, etc... But I'm sure that's in the pipeline.

Possible bug, YouTube videos don't seem to scale in the window properly. It's not a huge deal as it would go full screen on a mobile device when you clicked the play button, but at certain resolutions the thumbnail gets cut off on the right side (since it's anchored to the left).
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

I ask dumb questions.

Postby djackson » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:47 am

It's definitely very useful. It's really only lacking cosmetically.
My Home park is Six Flags America
Coaster Count: 80 (I'm getting there lol)
Top 10: 1.I305 2.S:TR 3.SkyRush 4.El Toro 5.Valravn 6.WindexCyanide 7.B:TR 8.KK 9. Mineblower 10. Volcano
Instagram:kvng_coasters
YouTube: Kvng Of Coasters

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:11 am

I don't usually stay signed into TPR on my mobile device, but here's how different aspect ratios affect the cutoff of YouTube videos. You can see how the posts / replies themselves scale just fine, but the YouTube video preview is locked to a specific resolution, and gets cut off on the left browser.
Screenshot (131).png
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:37 am

I browsed around the mobile version and here are my thoughts.

- I thought the mobile version loaded very quickly, faster than the desktop version on my mobile device.

- Is there any way to have the color palette to match the desktop version to have more consistency? This is a minor thing, but mobile versions of site's like Reddit or ESPN look close to their desktop version.

- I probably go half and half browsing TPR on my desktop and mobile device. Until it autodetects the device, I will probably stick with the desktop version to avoid having to repeatedly change, but those using it almost entirely on the phone could potentially enjoy this more.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Most Recent Trip Reports- Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo DisneySea

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Location: Ether Houston across from the Astrodome or at SFSTL riding the Screamin' Eagle

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:15 am

The mobile site is easier for me to use on my phone. It’s easy to manage and I figured out everything within 10 seconds.

The one thing I do not like is the color choices. I would prefer a darker background than the current white one since it feels like a completely different forum.

This is a nice addition though! I could see myself using this in the future!
Coaster Count: 107
1990's: "ugh. I hope we don't get a Vekoma"
2010: "I really hope we get a Vekoma!"

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Brassinthegrass » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:07 am

I like this a lot better on my phone! Any chance we can get a black version though?

Postby thrillrider » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:25 am

I tried it out and did not have any issues. I do echo the thoughts of others about the color scheme.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby JG-77 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:48 pm

Overall I think the mobile theme is easier to use, and I appreciate not having to constantly zoom to click the right link. I agree with what others have said that it would be nice to have a color scheme similar to the desktop version.

A few other changes I personally would like
-Full version of the posting interface (with smilies, text effects, embedded links, etc)
-I’d prefer for profile pictures to be visible when reading threads.
-I’d like the page navigation to be on the main viewing screen (Instead of having to tap the ‘#’ to see it)
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!