Mega coaster trip 2018 Photo Trip Report.

Six flags great America now up on page #9! Check it out.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Mega coaster trip 2018 Photo Trip Report.

Postby thrillrider » Mon May 21, 2018 10:31 am

It's that time of year again where we plan our annual MEGA park trip. This year we are focusing on the east coast parks with an emphasis on six flags and cedar fair parks. We already have season passes to both park chains with dinning plans as well. The plan is to try and stick to these park chains to control costs. There are only a few exceptions we are making.
There are a bunch of other great parks like knobles and Hershey, and busch gardens,but that's going to be for another trip later in the summer.
This is the tentative schedule as we leave from Michigan...

Day 1...cedarpoint
Day 2...niagra falls and seabreeze park
Day 3...Darien lake
Day 4...sf great escape
Day 5...six flags new England
Day 6...Rye playland
Day 7...Half day at sesame place/ Half at Dorney park
Day 8... Six flags great adventure
Day 9...six flags America
Day 10...kings dominion
Day 11...myrtle beach/family kingdom
Day 12... carowinds
Day 13... Dollywood
Day 14... Kentucky kingdom
Day 15... kings island

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We could possibly fit Busch gardens into the mix. We are seaworld Orlando season pass holders...does anybody know if there is a discount on tickets for BG? I know that there is a discount for sesame place, but can't seem to find anything about a bush gardens discount.
Last edited by thrillrider on Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:28 am.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

I Love Donkeys!

Re: Mega coaster trip version 2018

Postby matthew.sullivan1 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:45 am

thrillrider wrote:It's that time of year again where we plan our annual MEGA park trip. This year we are focusing on the east coast parks with an emphasis on six flags and cedar fair parks. We already have season passes to both park chains with dinning plans as well. The plan is to try and stick to these park chains to control costs. There are only a few exceptions we are making.
There are a bunch of other great parks like knobles and Hershey, and busch gardens,but that's going to be for another trip later in the summer.

Day 1...cedarpoint
Day 3...Darien lake
Day 4...sf great escape
Day 6...Rye playland
Day 10...kings dominion
Day 12... carowinds
Day 13... Dollywood
Day 15... kings island

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We could possibly fit Busch gardens into the mix. We are seaworld Orlando season pass holders...does anybody know if there is a discount on tickets for BG? I know that there is a discount for sesame place, but can't seem to find anything about a bush gardens discount.

I would recommend going to Lake Compounce and Quassy instead of Playland. Although its historical aspect is interesting, the park is sadly run down, and the majority of the rides are mediocre. LC and Quassy are much nicer, and Boulder Dash and Wooden Warrior are fantastic rides. There are efforts to help renovate playland, and plans were revealed last year that detailed a significant flat expansion for 2019, including a unicoaster and chance revolution. For now, however, the park is not worth the 30 dollar admission.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon May 21, 2018 10:46 am

I'm not going to go too much in detail as I feel like we argue about this every year but you have some long drives on this list and I don't understand when you'll be doing them.

The one that stands out the most is a day at Kings Dominion and then the next day you're doing Myrtle Beach. That's a six hour MINIMUM drive with no stops. Depending on what day and time you do it, it could be much worse. I get it if you're just going to go and do Family Kingdom as a credit whore stop, but then that's a minimum of 10 hours out of the way driving for some credits?

Postby thrillrider » Mon May 21, 2018 10:56 am

SharkTums wrote:I'm not going to go too much in detail as I feel like we argue about this every year but you have some long drives on this list and I don't understand when you'll be doing them.

The one that stands out the most is a day at Kings Dominion and then the next day you're doing Myrtle Beach. That's a six hour MINIMUM drive with no stops. Depending on what day and time you do it, it could be much worse. I get it if you're just going to go and do Family Kingdom as a credit whore stop, but then that's a minimum of 10 hours out of the way driving for some credits?

Yep...close to six hours.
We have been to KD several times already, so the plan is to leave around 6 or 7 and get at least half the drive done that night. The remainder of the drive would be done in the AM. That would get us into myrtle beach around noon the next day. The plan once we get there is to spend a few hours on the beach, check out a few shops, hit family kingdom for a few hours and try to be on the road to carowinds by 7.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby thrillrider » Mon May 21, 2018 11:07 am

matthew.sullivan1 wrote:
thrillrider wrote:It's that time of year again where we plan our annual MEGA park trip. This year we are focusing on the east coast parks with an emphasis on six flags and cedar fair parks. We already have season passes to both park chains with dinning plans as well. The plan is to try and stick to these park chains to control costs. There are only a few exceptions we are making.

Day 1...cedarpoint
Day 3...Darien lake
Day 4...sf great escape
Day 6...Rye playland
Day 10...kings dominion
Day 12... carowinds
Day 13... Dollywood
Day 15... kings island

I would recommend going to Lake Compounce and Quassy instead of Playland. Although its historical aspect is interesting, the park is sadly run down, and the majority of the rides are mediocre. LC and Quassy are much nicer, and Boulder Dash and Wooden Warrior are fantastic rides. There are efforts to help renovate playland, and plans were revealed last year that detailed a significant flat expansion for 2019, including a unicoaster and chance revolution. For now, however, the park is not worth the 30 dollar admission.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Lake compounce is a great park, but we have already been there before. Quassy looks like a great park(wooden warrior), but since most of our group has never been to sfne, we opted to skip quassy untill the next go around. However, after looking into a few things, it "might" be possible to do quassy in the am and playland in the evening. I just have to look into drive time. I'll have to check out if playland has a twilight ticket.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:19 am

thrillrider wrote:Yep...close to six hours.
We have been to KD several times already, so the plan is to leave around 6 or 7 and get at least half the drive done that night. The remainder of the drive would be done in the AM. That would get us into myrtle beach around noon the next day. The plan once we get there is to spend a few hours on the beach, check out a few shops, hit family kingdom for a few hours and try to be on the road to carowinds by 7.

It's been a few years since I've been to Myrtle Beach but if I recall traffic getting into and or out of the place can get pretty bad certain days of the week/times of the year. May wanna look into that if you're going to be there around a weekend or holiday or some sort.

Postby thrillrider » Mon May 21, 2018 11:44 am

Looks like July 1st(sunday) would be our day at KD. So the drive would be broken up between Sunday night and Monday morning.
Any input on good/bad times for traffic in that area?
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Mon May 21, 2018 12:06 pm

thrillrider wrote:It's that time of year again where we plan our annual MEGA park trip.

I remember your ideas for last year and wooooo they were a thing so let's see what you've got this time.

(BTW you know it cost absolutely nothing to get into Knoebels, right?)

Day 1...cedarpoint
Day 3...Darien lake

Double backing a little bit here. In terms of driving, you'd be better off flipping Darien and Seabreeze, but if Day 2 is a Saturday, I get it.

Also, did you check the calendar for Darien Lake to ensure there's no concerts? You really want to do that especially since everything is one train operation only (minus Tantrum...maybe).

Day 4...sf great escape

Lots of weird stuff in town but I can't recommend all of it (the last Howard Johnson's restaurant is here but it is by most accounts AWFUL). Good mini golf though.

Day 6...Rye playland

Stop at Quassy on the Rye day. You can go individual tickets here and skip everything that isn't Wooden Warrior. But Wooden Warrior...yooooo

Also I don't care if you skip Lake Compounce because fahgettaboudit.

Weekend at SFA? Otherwise mix in some DC stuff.

Day 10...kings dominion

Dude, just go to BGW instead. If you want a boardwalk, stop at VA Beach. The dark ride there is dead but usually some carnies set up for the summer with a coaster or two nearby. You'll be spending a ton of money and time in the car to try and not spend a ton of money. Swamp Fox is cool, don't get me wrong, but what else is left there?

Rest is pretty chill IMO

Postby thrillrider » Mon May 21, 2018 12:29 pm

Lol...yea, last year's mega trip was quite the undertaking, but turned out Great besides a food poisoning incident.

Knobles is on the agenda this year. We are doing the fall freak out event. So we figured that we would check out someplace we have never been.

The seabreeze park has a $15 evening pass. The thinking was that we would do the falls for a few hours, and head to seabreeze at 5pm when the deal starts. We have never been to seabreeze park, but I can't see it taking more than 4 or 5 hours to do the park. That would give us a full day at Darien lake the following day. I'll definitely look into the concert dates, but it looks like we would be at Darien lake on a Monday.

Lol..I think the hojo was one of the hotels in the area tgat we were looking at.

We may try to squeeze quassy into the mix. I'll have to look at a map to see where exactly.

Sfa would be on a Sunday. We have been there in the past, so not gonna be heart broken if we don't get to everything.

As far as Busch gardens goes, I'm looking into if seaworld season pass holders get any kind of discounts on tickets. If it's a decent discount, we may add a day to the trip. I would love to return to this park.

What's nice about this year's trip, is that we have 4 weeks off of work. So time really is not an issue. The only barrier is budget.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Mon May 21, 2018 12:45 pm

thrillrider wrote:
The seabreeze park has a $15 evening pass. The thinking was that we would do the falls for a few hours, and head to seabreeze at 5pm when the deal starts. We have never been to seabreeze park, but I can't see it taking more than 4 or 5 hours to do the park. That would give us a full day at Darien lake the following day. I'll definitely look into the concert dates, but it looks like we would be at Darien lake on a Monday.

Yeah, that's fine in terms of rationale. I kinda used the context clues and the only day between June 24-28 without a concert is the 25th. You might be dodging a bullet going the way you're thinking.

Lol..I think the hojo was one of the hotels in the area tgat we were looking at.

No...the restaurant. The restaurants predated the hotels IIRC and then they'd tack on a motel later.

We may try to squeeze quassy into the mix. I'll have to look at a map to see where exactly.

It's easy. You're gonna be taking I-91 out of SFNE to start with, so you get onto I-84 in Hartford and ride it all the way there. Then you just get back on 84, go back 15 minutes (and stop at Maggie McFly's for lunch before getting to the freeway) to the interchange with CT-8. CT-8 is a freeway that runs all the way south to the Merritt Parkway and I-95. You can do it in a little over an hour.

Sfa would be on a Sunday. We have been there in the past, so not gonna be heart broken if we don't get to everything.

Still worth considering something from the Smithsonian since it is literally free (Air and Space and the satellite location, National Zoo, etc). No matter what, do what you have to in order to be outside and south of the DC loop before Monday morning. Absolutely imperative.

As far as Busch gardens goes, I'm looking into if seaworld season pass holders get any kind of discounts on tickets. If it's a decent discount, we may add a day to the trip. I would love to return to this park.

Tickets on the site are $70 for advance sale. Wristbands at Family Kingdom are $28. But then if you go there, you're gonna want to play mini golf. You're gonna want to go to an arcade. You're gonna do this, that, and the other thing. Sure enough, it's gonna be comparable. And then you gotta put yourself and the kids in the car for another 4 hours after driving that extra 4-5 to get there. At least Wooden Warrior is on the way.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!