[Photo TR] Down Under 2018

Sea World Australia Update posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Re: [Photo TR] Down Under 2018

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:43 am

Movie World definitely looks like a nice park! Thanks for sharing another great update!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby chaos » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:56 am

Dreamworld:

A small step down from Movie World as far as both rides and theming are concerned. However, the employees were still just as friendly, and it still just felt "nicer" than most parks in the US. Also, I may be dumb for not realizing it before, but I guess the "Dream" in "Dreamworld" is a reference to Dreamworks. There is a huge section on the middle of the park filled with Madagascar, Shrek, and Kung Fu Panda themed attractions. I'm also hoping this means that the park will get some awesome How to Train Your Dragon themed coaster one day.

Unfortunately, Tower of Terror was closed, so I won't be able to compare it to Superman at SFMM. But I did get to ride all the other coasters.

BuzzSaw: This was my very first Maurer Sky Loop. While I'm not the biggest fan of shuttle-type coasters, the upside down lift hill is incredible, and quite unnerving. I have no idea why this type of lift isn't more popular. Other than that, I'm sure it's the same as all the other models like it.

Escape From Madagascar: Same as all the other Vekoma Suspended Family coasters. I guess being in the very well themed Madagascar area makes it a tiny bit better than the average clone.

Motocoaster: I had no idea this coaster existed until I came across it. Fun little surprise. Pretty good launched family coaster. Much better/ more intense than Pony Express at Knott's. Also, I like how the last two rows have little side cars for kids who don't want to get on the bike seats.

Hot Wheels Sidewinder: One of the more rough Arrow loopers, but it has the new trains with the more comfortable restraints so there's not really any head banging. I love the theme! It has one of the coolest queue lines, and the themed trains look really nice. Kind of unique layout, as the two inversions are at the very end of the ride.

I quite enjoyed this park, and hope they can finally move on from the accident and get at least one more major ride.

Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 10.23.30 AM.png
BuzzSaw and Tower of Terror greet you from the parking lot.
Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 10.23.01 AM.png
Too bad Tower of Terror was closed. :(
P1020620_Moment.jpg
The entrance plaza was very nice
IMG_0944.JPG
Headed to BuzzSaw first
unnamed2.jpg
That's me in the front! I really love the upside down lift hill!
IMG_0998.JPG
This flat ride looked pretty. Didn't ride it though.
IMG_0959_Moment.jpg
Madagascar
IMG_0964.JPG
This view from the Madagascar queue was the closest I got to Tower of Terror
IMG_0965.JPG
This Shrek farts and bubbles up water
IMG_0972.JPG
Shrek carousel
IMG_0952_Moment.jpg
The Motocoaster was a pleasant surprise
IMG_0954.JPG
I loved the little sidecars!
IMG_0953_Moment.jpg
Zooming through the course
IMG_0950_Moment.jpg
Impromptu performances like this really added to the atmosphere
P1020622_Moment.jpg
Save the Hot Wheels Arrow Looper for last
Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 10.41.03 AM.png
The queue was pretty awesome
Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 10.19.41 AM.png
The the trains were pretty and colorful
IMG_0996.JPG
I loved how they saved the inversions for the end. Didn't realize it until I was actually on the ride going through them.
IMG_0995.JPG
One final look.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby pfalcioni » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:43 am

Great reports!

I've been wanting to do a winter trip to Australia for a long time and Dreamworld and that fun little motocoaster would definitely be on my schedule, even though it's pretty solidly panned by most coaster fanatics I still think it would be a fun ride for us. It's also a great tribute to Mick Doohan, Australia's winningest GP racer.

I've been following the inquest on the Dreamworld Thunder River incident inquest and so far the park and its maintenance and training are really being raked through the coals. It's so sad to see a park that is beautiful and vibrant on the surface have so many issues.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby chaos » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:20 pm

Final update of the trip!

We visited Sea World very briefly - just enough to ride the two big coasters and monorail and walk around. To be honest, I was kind of disappointed in this park. It's clean and nice, and I didn't have many complaints, but it just felt like a pale imitation of the SeaWorld Parks in the US. However, the surrounding city, Surfer's Paradise is like 10 times nicer than Orlando or San Diego. So if you travel here, definitely plan to hang out at the beach and explore the city (something that we unfortunately didn't not have enough time for).

P1020627_Moment.jpg
The entrance was nice enough
P1020630.JPG
So was the view once inside
P1020631.JPG
"Nice" is the my go-to word for this park. I liked it, but it didn't wow me like the other parks in Australia
P1020642.JPG
Surfer's Paradise Skyline
P1020649_Moment.jpg
Storm Coaster
P1020669.JPG
The coaster part feels higher than any of the Atlantis rides, but it is pretty slow and less forceful
P1020670.JPG
The only really themed section is at the end of the ride, where I couldn't get any good pictures.
P1020672.JPG
The queue had some good theming, though
P1020678.JPG
I did love the entrance plaza
Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 10.23.42 PM.png
It gives you great views of the riders!
P1020680.JPG
Riders
P1020682_Moment.jpg
The park was pretty dead
P1020683_Moment.jpg
Fun little ride, but not as good as the (very) similar Motocoaster 15 minutes away.
Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 10.24.39 PM.png
The beach at night . . . really beautiful place

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!