Grsupercitys quest for coaster credits

added Nick Universe and Valleryfair
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Re: First Florida trip

Postby grsupercity » Tue May 29, 2018 7:46 am

Philrad71 wrote:We were also looking for SfStL merch as we always try to get a fridge magnet and ornament for our tree - no luck finding either in any of the gift shops at the front of the park.

I agree about all of the Marvel stuff...if I wanted to buy that, I would just head down to the local Wal-Mart. Well actually I wouldn't, but you get the point. ;)

^ Excalibur has been closed all season for refurb.

We found a superman magnet that said in small letters Six Flags st Louis on the bottom right corner. We found a frame that was covered in marvel characters but managed to say Six Flags on the bottom middle. They work i guess. I dont usually buy shirts but they actually had some good ones at this park
As of right now top 25
Maverick...Lightning Run...Fury325...Phantoms Revenge...Shivering Timbers...Montu...:lighting Rod...Afterburn...Mako...Storm Chaser...Goliath SFGAM...Rivine flyer2...Manta...Raging Bull ...American Thunder...Intimidator...Kumba...Millennium Force...Raptor...Voyage...Mine Blower...Renegade...Cheetah Hunt...Mr Freeze
Is that 26?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue May 29, 2018 7:52 am

I didn't browse through the gift shops, but were they actually selling Marvel stuff instead of DC? I remember there was a weird survey sent out a while back asking about some Marvel heroes instead of the DC ones they owned.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Postby grsupercity » Tue May 29, 2018 7:55 am

My bad I mean DC characters.
As of right now top 25
Maverick...Lightning Run...Fury325...Phantoms Revenge...Shivering Timbers...Montu...:lighting Rod...Afterburn...Mako...Storm Chaser...Goliath SFGAM...Rivine flyer2...Manta...Raging Bull ...American Thunder...Intimidator...Kumba...Millennium Force...Raptor...Voyage...Mine Blower...Renegade...Cheetah Hunt...Mr Freeze
Is that 26?

Postby grsupercity » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:12 am

So me and my wife just did 2 great parks in PA. First thing i wanna say is Pennsylvania is a very pretty state and Pittsburgh is way more then old steel factories> onto the report.

First park was Waldameer. I was excited for this park because we don't hear alot about it. Our GPS kept trying to take us into the trailer park in front of the park. After we finally found a place to park we went and loaded money onto a wally card. We started off the day with the Comet. A great junior wood coaster that reminds me of ZAch's Zoomer and the woodstock express coasters. Nest up was the american version of Steel Dragon. For a spinning coaster it was almost glass smooth. Sadly weight must of been even since we barley spun. Fun ride. It was my 6th new spinning coaster of the year. I liked it. Nest was the parks crown jewel. Ravine Flyer 2. That thing is a blast. The ride does not look nearly as big as we were expecting. For a smaller ride it packs a punch. Smooth and relentless. 2nd favorite coaster of the trip. We rode twice in the back and once in the front. We did the wacky shack and it was wacky. We also did the ferris wheel and it had great views of lake Eerie. I do not take a lot of photos at parks but here are the views from the wheel

Our next park was Kennywood. I went into this park with high expectations. They were blew out of the water. Lightning Run is one of my favorite coasters and I knew if Phantom was even half as good that it would be a good day. First ride of the day was Jackrabbit. I did not tell my wife of the double down ahead of time so it was a nice surprise for her. It was a good ride but not great. Very smooth for a super old wood coaster. Next ride was the racer. It was smooth. Didn't really do anything else special. Very forgetable. At that time it was enough pissing around and i wanted to ride the Phantom. It was a hot sunny Sunday during labor day weekend. The line was long and it was running one teal train. After about half an hour of the line standing stilll they added the 2nd train. That was a 10 minute hold up but the line moved quickly after that. Once we finally got up to the ride we wanted to try the back first. The ride was...okay. Sometimes it takes multiple rides for me to appreicate a ride. We got up and went to the black widow. I went in knowing it was going to be good and it was even better then great. Every park should have one of these. Next up we decided to kill some mice. When we got the the line ems was helping someone. So the line did not move for about 20 minutes. After that it moved fairly quick. Theme was neat. Ride was fun. One and done because of the wait. We then made our way to the Thunderbolt. Being that you cant see half the ride I was not sure what to expect. Weirdest looking trains I have ever seen. It was a good but not great ride. We then ate some potato patch fries that were good but a little soggy. Line was now short for Phantom so we rode it over and over. Wow what an amazing ride. Relentless from start to finish, Even with trims on the final bunny hills you get ejected. I love this ride. 10/10. Kenny wood has an amazing collection of flats. Which we took advantage of. I have no idea what Kangaroo is what I am a fan. Swing Shot (though not as good as black widow) was also a lot of fun. All in all it was a great time at both park. Kennywood has great views of massive rolling hills with homes going all the way up. It also has some nice views of bridges and a huge factory.

Comet 6/10
Steel Dragon 7/10
Ravine Flyer 2 9/10

Jack Rabbit 7/10
Racer 6/10
Thunderbolt 6/10
Exterminator 7/10
Phamtoms Rev 10/10
IMG_6660.jpg
View from Ferris wheel at Waldameer
IMG_6659.jpg
View from Ferris wheel at Waldameer
Snapchat-399893277.jpg
Beautiful rolling hills
Snapchat-818502251.jpg
Peaking over the thunderbolt
Snapchat-2138634759.jpg
View from the parking lot
Snapchat-493195497.jpg
Flying by the station
Snapchat-607902787.jpg
2 fun rides
As of right now top 25
Is that 26?

Re: Grsupercitys quest for coaster credits

Postby grsupercity » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:45 am

I must say this has been a very good year and that me and my family are very blessed. We decided to take on a very ambitious trip to the twin cities. I manage a large new car dealership so I work many 6 day weeks. So finding time to fill my coaster addicition can be hard. We wanted to do Nick Universe, Valleyfair and Mall of America on one Saturday.

We left our house Saturday at 5 am. We flew out of GRR to MSP. We landed at about 7:40 and check into our hotel super early. The hotel shuttled us to Mall of America. We arrived right at 10 and headed straight to Nick Universe. This park was the reason for the trip. We have read and watched nothing to rave reviews. Walking in the north entrance right way we could start to see rides operating in the distance. We walked under the dora Ferris Wheel that said something in Spanish and walked right to guest services and got wristbands. Luckily it was 10 AM and was not busy at all. First ride was Pepsi orange streak which was a walk on. It was a long ride that gave great views of the park Our next ride was Spongbobs rock bottom plunge. That ride makes a presence in this park. I was really looking forward to this ride. This was my first vertical lift coaster and that was a neat element. The ride was fairly smooth and the drop was pretty good considering its small height. The cut back element I though was the highlight of the ride. We next did Avatar the airbender. I was not expecting this ride to be open since the website said it would be down for refurb. Wow this ride was fun. This was a milestone coaster for me and I am so glad I was able to experience it since there are not to many around. Fairly odd coaster was next. Not a fairy rare ride but a fun one. This was my 6th new spinning coaster of the year. I believe this is the same model as the one at St Louis that I rode back in may. I like this model the best of all the ones I have ridden. Another ride I was looking forward to was Brain Surge. I remember seeing these Chance unicoasters on videos before the trade show in Vegas. This ride was by far the highlight of the trip. One of the best flat rides I have ever ridden. I am glad we got to this park at 10 since every thing was a walk on.

Pepsi Orange streak 5/10
Sponge Bob 7/10
Fairly Odd Coaster 7/10
Brain Surge 10/10

We then Ubered to Valley Fair. It was about 1 pm and upper 50's and rainy. I was really looking forward to Renegade. After walking in we headed to Corkscrew. I thought it was pretty smooth and enjoyable. High Roller and Excalibur were sadly closed. Mad Mouse was next. my home park has a slightly taller version of the same ride. It had a 2 minute wait which we never see at out home park so we happily jumped in line. Good solid family ride. We found our way to Renegade. It was a walk on. The que line seemed nicely themed. I was expecting alot from this ride. I fell in Love with America thunder earlier in the year. I am going to assume they change the wheels for the cold weather. This ride had a nasty vibration that I have never felt in a GCI. Sadly I did not fully enjoy the ride. I dont know if it were the vibration, the cold misty weather or the high expectations or what. I was hoping it would land in my top 5 wood and sadly I dont think it will even crack my top 10. After getting confused by the dead end layouts and soak city blocking us from wild thing we finally found our way over to it. We rode Phantoms Revenge a month ago so this ride has huge shoes to fill. Its tall and dominates the skyline. My home park was supposed to get one of these in 2002 and I looked a the ride in wounder of what could of been. Now the ride. Way smoother then I was expecting. The first air time hill was good. The rest of the ride is sadly forgettable. Luckily at this time most of the rides in the park were still walk on's. After eating at Coasters and riding Extreme Swing we headed over to Steel Venom. I am a fan of these. I was so glad the holding was not working. My family jewels were the happiest that the holding brake was off. We looked for some merch and headed back to the mall by Uber.

Corkscrew 7/10
Mad Mouse 7/10
Renegade 7/10
Wild Thing 7/10
Steel Venom 8/10

We then spent the rest of the night at the mall. What can be said about the mall that hasn't been said. It huge. The food court is larger then most malls. We were gonna do some reides at Nick Universe but at this time the night time halloween thing had started and it was packed. All in all super long fun day. 2 parks and MOA. We flew home Sunday Morning I am not into taking many pics but here are some
20181027_110254.jpg
Walking in from the North Entrance
Snapchat-749642703.jpg
Snapchat-1785753119.jpg
Snapchat-1388011363.jpg
Snapchat-232285429.jpg
It sure does look good over the midway
Snapchat-33327553.jpg
20181027_155014.jpg
We had a fun 3 hours at the park
As of right now top 25
Is that 26?

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:19 am

Nice report! It's a bummer to hear another lackluster review of Renegade. For a while I had heard it was one of GCIs better coasters.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:29 am

Glad you enjoyed Nick Universe; it's a really great park.

grsupercity wrote:. Fairly odd coaster was next. Not a fairy rare ride but a fun one. This was my 6th new spinning coaster of the year. I believe this is the same model as the one at St Louis that I rode back in may.

It's not. It's the same as Spinning Dragons in Kansas City.

Postby grsupercity » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:48 am

^ Oh thank you. I couldn't tell. With the way it wraps around and over other rides its a tricky one to distinguish the model. Nick universe is a very neat park. They have an extremely solid collection of flat rides. We walked around at night but only rides the rides there in the morning. The lines at night were 10 times as long. It was dark at NU. The rides had lots of lights going and fog. The log flume was turned into the fog flume. Do they run it dark every night with the ride light packages on or was that just a halloween thing?
As of right now top 25
Is that 26?

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:52 am

I've never seen that, and I've only been in the spring and summer, so I'm going to assume it's a halloween thing. Sounds cool.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!