bert goes to Texas Theme Parks (mega thread)

Six Flags Over Texas Labor Day weekend part 2 updated
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!
User avatar
 
Posts: 905
Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Location: Ohio
Gender: Male
Age: 30

Re: Quick Trip report: Fiesta Texas, 5/6/18

Postby Invertalon » Tue May 08, 2018 4:26 am

bert425 wrote:yeah, sorry, but this is almost certainly going to be a no-go for you :( . . crossing of ankles is not physically possible on this coaster.. the issue is not with the size of the vehicle, but rather the design (by nature of it being a single rail coaster, needing to straddle the track).

couldn't get a pic of the car, due to my phone being well put away by the time you get into the vehicle, but found this pic online of the trains at the RMC factory (back when they announced Raptor track)

the way they are sitting, with legs spread? that's how you HAVE to sit. There is a large metal "hump" in the center, where the track goes.. . . so you could not put your legs together even if you wanted to, or cross your ankles.

Image


Didn't realize how uncomfortable those trains really look... Perhaps I am not too bummed I can't strap myself in that thing ;) I thought the lapbar would have some padding on it, or something, considering the forces on these rides. Is it really just a pad-free bar? That's what it looks like in the photo!
-Steve

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 4029
Joined: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Austin, Tx
Gender: Male
Age: 51

Re: Quick Trip report: Fiesta Texas, 5/6/18

Postby bert425 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:07 am

Invertalon wrote:
bert425 wrote:yeah, sorry, but this is almost certainly going to be a no-go for you :( . . crossing of ankles is not physically possible on this coaster.. the issue is not with the size of the vehicle, but rather the design (by nature of it being a single rail coaster, needing to straddle the track).

couldn't get a pic of the car, due to my phone being well put away by the time you get into the vehicle, but found this pic online of the trains at the RMC factory (back when they announced Raptor track)

the way they are sitting, with legs spread? that's how you HAVE to sit. There is a large metal "hump" in the center, where the track goes.. . . so you could not put your legs together even if you wanted to, or cross your ankles.

Image


Didn't realize how uncomfortable those trains really look... Perhaps I am not too bummed I can't strap myself in that thing ;) I thought the lapbar would have some padding on it, or something, considering the forces on these rides. Is it really just a pad-free bar? That's what it looks like in the photo!


it's not really a "lap bar". . the whole contraption comes down over your head, and clicks into place (and then there's a seatbelt hanging from the center that connects as well. The operator does all of it.

so you climb into the seat, and the operator lowers the entire thing over you (so the section with the "bra seatbelts" as TbPony called them) are all attached to the apparatus. . . you're in there good - there's no way anyone is going anywhere.

I do not recall any padding, but it wasn't uncomfortable across the waist at all.. . besides, I was out of the seat so much, mostly I was hitting the seatbelts at the top of the restraint.


edit: looking back at my pics, I have this one that did manage to catch the restraint as the operator was about to lower it, and you get a good idea of it -- and there IS some padding across the bottom of the waist bar:

Image
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 4029
Joined: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Austin, Tx
Gender: Male
Age: 51

Re: Quick Trip report: Fiesta Texas, 5/6/18

Postby bert425 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:00 am

PKI Jizzman wrote:Sounds like it lives up to the hype! Great report. The added water below the ride looks really nice.


one of the Engineers I was chatting with while waiting in line (I complimented them on such a great job getting the ride back up when it broke down earlier) told me that thus far each night they have to fish stuff out of it that gets lost on the ride.

maybe we'll get a "Six Flags box" of destroyed cell phones, like they did at Dorney?

Image
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 4782
Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Age: 25

Re: Quick Trip report: Fiesta Texas, 5/6/18

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed May 09, 2018 11:02 am

^ I love when parks add that box. I do wish more kept a tally like Story Land does for Roar-o-saurus. When you ask them to retrieve an article for you, they ask what you lost and unsympathetically just add another tally to the board. Phones are usually number 1.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Image
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain
User avatar
 
Posts: 6821
Joined: 10 Feb 2014
Location: Philthadelphia
Gender: None specified

Re: Quick Trip report: Fiesta Texas, 5/6/18

Postby boldikus » Wed May 09, 2018 11:48 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:When you ask them to retrieve an article for you, they ask what you lost and unsympathetically just add another tally to the board.


:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Love it.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 6315
Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Location: These Ozarks Hills
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Quick Trip report: Fiesta Texas, 5/6/18

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed May 09, 2018 6:03 pm

Very nice! Wonder Woman looks great, and that Poltergeist line is beautiful.
Image

I just swallowed a whole donkey!
 
Posts: 742
Joined: 15 Jan 2017
Location: The red-headed stepchild of Michigan (Manistee)
Gender: Male
Age: 26

Re: Quick Trip report: Fiesta Texas, 5/6/18

Postby cparkes92 » Thu May 10, 2018 7:57 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:^ I love when parks add that box. I do wish more kept a tally like Story Land does for Roar-o-saurus. When you ask them to retrieve an article for you, they ask what you lost and unsympathetically just add another tally to the board. Phones are usually number 1.

Kings Island has one of those boxes at Diamondback (which doesn't have FFBFWMAG, unlike Banshee and Mystic Timbers)
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mako, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, SheiKra, Montu
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 8980
Joined: 27 Jul 2013
Location: At KD
Gender: Male
Age: 31

Re: Quick Trip report: Fiesta Texas, 5/6/18

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Fri May 11, 2018 6:46 am

Thanks for the awesome report, and the fantastic photos!! Glad Wonder Woman is living up to be the fantastic ride we were expecting!!!

bert425 wrote:the back seat is attempting to kill you, whipping you over the 1st drop and the midcourse drop, with violent air-time that pushed me up (hard) against the shoulder belts. LOVED it.

the front seat is also attempting to kill you, with a free-fall that about 1/2 way down feels like someone slammed a large anvil on your back to force you down faster.


Okay, both of those sound amazing!!! I can't wait to get down to the park this summer to give it a go!

bert425 wrote:1) the design of the ride vehicle, by the nature of the ride itself, is odd, and not exactly comfortable.
It's basically riding the "hump" in the back seat of a car in the 70's. . note - you will be riding basically straddling the track, with your legs spread. After 4 rides back to back, my thighs were starting to hurt, and after the 5th ride and getting home, I'm going to be soaking in a warm tub tonight, as I'm really hurting from the strain of straddling that large track. . . so I would *not* recommend this ride for anyone with hip, or knee issues, as the way one sits in the car will put strain on both of those areas.


Yikes!! I didn't think about that with this design. But I could see how it could be un-comfortable.

bert425 wrote:2) this ride ABSOLUTELY needs a test seat, and it's not good that the park does not have one there.
a friend who was there with us for the 5th ride, was not able to ride, even tho he's only 6'2" because when he got in the seat, his knees went in a way that the restraint would not come down. of course he was disappointed, but mainly because no one had told him at the entrance that it might be an issue, so he wasn't expecting it. a test seat would solve this issue. (and also #1 I mentioned above).


Well that sucks. I'm 6'4" and curious if I might have a similar issue. . .
Bigger is not always better. (And anyone who has ridden Wonder Woman knows this is true!)

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?
User avatar
 
Posts: 250
Joined: 10 Jul 2015
Location: Las Vegas NV
Gender: Male

Re: Quick Trip report: Fiesta Texas, 5/6/18

Postby thedlr » Fri May 11, 2018 6:58 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:I do wish more kept a tally like Story Land does for Roar-o-saurus. When you ask them to retrieve an article for you, they ask what you lost and unsympathetically just add another tally to the board.


That's awesome.

bert425 wrote:one of the Engineers... told me that thus far each night they have to fish stuff out of it that gets lost on the ride.


I'm picturing a bunch of engineers literally going fishing haha.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 4029
Joined: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Austin, Tx
Gender: Male
Age: 51

Re: Quick Trip report: Fiesta Texas, 5/6/18

Postby bert425 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:57 am

DoinItForTheFame wrote:
bert425 wrote:2) this ride ABSOLUTELY needs a test seat, and it's not good that the park does not have one there.
a friend who was there with us for the 5th ride, was not able to ride, even tho he's only 6'2" because when he got in the seat, his knees went in a way that the restraint would not come down. of course he was disappointed, but mainly because no one had told him at the entrance that it might be an issue, so he wasn't expecting it. a test seat would solve this issue. (and also #1 I mentioned above).


Well that sucks. I'm 6'4" and curious if I might have a similar issue. . .


on the plus side, sounds like they have installed a test seat out front this week!

local news is running a story of the grand opening (on Sat), and they put a reporter in the train with the Park President.. who is attempting to talk him thru the course, and the reporter just keeps shouting "whooooo!!!' while on the ride.

LOL.. makes me giggle every time it runs (about every 2 hours on News8Austin):

http://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/austin/news/2018/05/10/wonder-woman-golden-lasso-roller-coaster-debuts-in-san-antonio#
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron