TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Have you ever gotten sick on a roller coaster?

With all the roller coasters we ride, I would assume there are some that we have gotten sick or vomited on. I almost vomited when I rode Dueling Dragons once. That morning, my group was staying at the Hard Rock Hotel. We had an idea to go to Dueling Dragons upon rope drop and ride the front row as many times as many times in a row until the crowds came. Before heading to rope drop, we ate at the buffet breakfast. The plates were pretty huge -- they were as big as my head. All of us had at least 3 plates full of food.

After eating, we headed to Dueling Dragons and rode the front row as many times as we could. After the 5th or 6th ride, we all felt a little sick. After unloading from Ice Dragon, we all collapsed on the baby swap bench. If we had rode one more time, one of us would have surely vomited.

So have any roller coasters made you vomit or made you sick?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

That lousy SoB from Kings Island!

I am talking about the Son of Beast (may it long burn in the furnace of the underworld) when they took the loop out and put in lighter trains. My friend and I had a big lunch and decided to ride SoB. After we got off that ride, we didn't feel good and headed to the restrooms and just empty our stomachs. We were so sick afterwards we decided to call it a day and headed back to the hotel. I think my friend threw up again later that night. Our stomachs didn't get better until tomorrow evening when we could start eating again. When we read the news that SoB was being demolished, we celebrated.

Back in 1999 the only roller coaster I had ridden was the Cannonball at Lake Winnie. That year our school had an 8th grade trip to SFoG and with Georgia Scorcher being new and at the front of the park guess what everyone wanted to ride first. I figured why not and got in line with the rest. On the ride I was having a blast but there was one part I started feeling queasy in my stomach. Thankfully the ride hit the brakes a few seconds later. I think it was simply due to the fact I had never ridden anything like that before. I never had anymore problems that day and the other times I have ridden Scorcher I have not had any problems.

The only time I ever really got truly sick at a park was strangely enough at SFoG as well. It was not the rides that made me sick. By about 2 p.m. I was feeling miserable and had no clue why. Then to make it even worse I have a nosebleed (which is common for me) I find a bathroom and the first thing I notice as I walk it is that it was really cool in there. I had to stay in there a few minutes with my nosebleed but by the time I left I was feeling great again. I came to the conclusion that I just got too hot. It was nearly 100 degrees that day. The next year when I went it was about the same story temperature wise but I had learned my lesson from the year before and kept myself hydrated and had no problems.

• 1 month later...

Vortex at KI. I didn't vomit, but I felt like garbage for quite a while. All flyers make me a little sick, but hitting the brake run laying on my back almost did me in.

I'm sure I've vomited after we got back to our hotel from a KI trip, but that would have had more to do with beer than riding.

I’ve never gotten sick to my stomach on a coaster. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m not susceptible to motion sickness, or just because after I eat I almost always ride a few gentler rides before getting back on coasters.

I did get a pounding headache and a feeling of weakness last summer during one of my Lagoon trips. But that was just dehydration from eating really sodium-rich foods during the heat of the day. I drink plenty of water, so it was surprising. I’ve just decided I won’t be eating any Teryaki Stix at the park until dinner when it’s cooled down a bit.

I have never gotten sick on any ride, ever. If I am sick at a theme park, it is usually from eating something overly cheesy or gooey (which usually affects my stomach). The worst I will get from rides is headaches but that is usually from dehydration and not the ride itself. If I drink lots of water and eat right, I can ride basically any ride at a park and feel fine.

Even though my family occasionally visited theme parks when I was a kid, my mom was afraid of roller coasters and wouldn't let us ride any that went upside down. On a hot July day about 10-12 years ago, I visited Knott's with some friends and rode my first ever looping coaster - Silver Bullet. I enjoyed the ride itself, but between not being used to looping coasters, being hot and a little dehydrated, and having a full stomach, it created the perfect storm for a miserable afternoon. I never lost my lunch, but was sick to my stomach and had a pounding headache for the rest of the day. I swore off ever riding it again, until I started riding coasters more often about 4 years ago. Silver Bullet is one of my favorite coasters now.

I've had lesser bouts of motion sickness since then, and it always seems to be on B&Ms - namely Tatsu, Riddler's Revenge, and Rougarou. But since that day at Knott's, I always bring Dramamine and stay well-hydrated when I know I'm trying out a new coaster.

After riding the back row on Shambhala several times in 37 Centigrade heat, I burped a couple times, and it tasted of vomit. This was over an hour after I'd eaten. I waited a few hours more to ride anything again and was fine.

I was drinking a gallon of water a day, and sweating it all right back out. Barely ever had to go for a piss.

While I have never myself gotten sick on/from a coaster... The same can't be said for my husband... Apparently his stomach does NOT do well with negative g's, and rides like New Texas Giant will leave him useless and unable to ride anything for the rest of our time in the park. However, rides with crazy amounts of high g's like the Batman clones aren't an issue for him...

• 3 weeks later...

The Bat at Kings Island in 2017. It was nearly 100 degrees and I hadn't been properly hydrating, so I puked just as the train was returning to the station. That put me out of commission the rest of the day. However, I've been to KI and ridden the Bat with no issues since and I've also had theme park days when it was over 100 degrees (BGT and SeaWorld in 2018) and I've done fine (with proper hydration; I was downing Powerade like shots those two days!)