TPR 2017 Coaster Poll Results!

World's best roller coasters voted by TPR members!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: TPR 2017 Coaster Poll Results!

Postby PhilNJ » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:37 am

Very interesting results. Did not expect 3 wooden coasters to be top 3 overall but can understand why, and appreciate Medusa getting the recognition. Thank you Robb, Chase and AJ for all the work put into this.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:35 am

Awesome! Thanks to all involved, this is exciting to see! Congrats to the winning coasters, its exciting to see my top 3 (Maverick, Toro and Skyrush) all place so highly. :b

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:50 am

Thanks for the kind words everyone! This has been a huge undertaking, and we're not even completely finished working yet! My regards go out to Robb and Chase as well, job well done!

Condor wrote:A question for Chase, Robb, or others involved: How does one coaster rank ahead of another on the wood or steel-only list, yet rank behind it on the combined list? For example, Balder at #15 is ahead of Boulder Dash at #18 on the combined list, yet BD at #6 moves ahead of Balder at #7 on the wood list. Am I correct to interpret this as Balder comparing more favorably than BD to a majority of steel coasters even though BD scores better when only comparing wooden?

Yes, you're correct! It means that more people preferred certain steel coasters over Boulder Dash than they did Balder. Our worst coaster on the combined list is Walygator's Anaconda, but our worst on the wooden list is Movie Park Germany's Bandit (our only legitimate zero score). On the combined list, Bandit places higher (though just ever so slightly) because some people thought that certain steel coasters were worse than it.

thesman wrote:any interesting trends seen in the data?

What trends are you interested in? If anyone wants to know any specific trends / statistics, such as best from _____ manufacturer or best coasters of a certain type / category or best coasters in _____ country / region or any other trend, just let us know and I'll draw up that info for you!
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:01 am

Great job putting this together guys!

Also, congrats to Time Warp at Canada's Wonderland. You earned it. :lol:

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby JJLehto » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:22 am

Awesome! Truly superb job everyone! Also I'm very glad yo see all the intamin mega lites grouped as one. Not a big deal but it did irk me as they are all identical and took up multiple spots. Very interesting to see El Toro remain over LR (never rode it) and medusa tops em all!
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, I305, Maverick, Lightning Run, Superman (SFNE), Kumba
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast
2018 Parks: (new) Busch Gardens Tampa, Kings Island, Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World, Cedar Point, Kennywood

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby OmnipotentSeal » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:26 am

I agree with all the bottom ten's except I rode Twister II in 2013 and it was actually a really fun ride. So, why did so many of you rank it so low? Did it get major re tracking during the 2012/2013 offseason or something?
Please wake up. We are trying a new technique. We don't know where this will show up in your dream, but we hope this message will reach you. You are in a coma. Please wake up. Your family needs you.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:28 am

Interesting results, and like everyone has said great job by everyone putting this together.

I guess the "surprises" for me are Storm Chaser being ranked so highly, then again everything RMC has built is on the list so it probably shouldn't be a surprise.

Also Kumba and/or Montu not making it into the top 25 is a little bit of a surprise considering those rides seem to always be highly ranked by people and are at a park that's pretty commonly visited so I'm sure they had plenty of votes. Montu finished at 31 (93.15%) and Kumba at 34 (92.27%).I'm guessing the margin of votes between separating like 20 and 40 was pretty close, then again maybe not.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby WolfBobs » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:31 am

Out of curiosity it was said that part of the poll takes into account how many coasters a person has ridden. Do these persons rankings offer more weight? Or am I not understanding that correctly?

And if so, If a person has ridden say 300 coasters, but only ranked a top 25 for this poll. Would that skew results at all? Just curious cause I personally was too lazy to go back and try to figure out how I would rank the 300-ish coasters I've ridden. Since I never rank coasters to begin with. I just did a top 25. :angel: But if this messed with any results I will try better next year to not be lazy! :lol:

Still kinda surprises me Fury 325 didn't crack the top 10. Love that these polls really show how varied individual opinions are.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:35 am

I have a lot of random thoughts, but not much time this morning!, so let's start with one!

- I love that the first coaster to break the Intamin / RMC Stronghold on the top coasters is Phoenix! Perfect!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:39 am

I have some other comments I'll post later when I have more time, but I just wanted to echo coasterbill's comment that last place is such a well deserved "honor" for Time Warp! :lmao:

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!