2018 Adventures Photo TR

Six Flags New England added!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: 2018 Adventures Photo TR

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat May 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Niice TR! Kings Dominion does look like a pretty great park. And I concur about Woodstock Express, assuming it's the same as the one at Kings Island (looks the same at least). It's small, but it's legit.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:00 pm

Next up on the itinerary for the summer brought me to...

Six Flags New England

I kind of have an affinity for this park. Since I grew up in neighboring upstate New York, it was the nearest park to have some bigger coasters, particularly with Superman being my first "big coaster", having been lucky enough to ride it quite a lot back in it's original un-adulterated state. So, I may be a little biased, but

I freaking love Six Flags New England. I really think it's one of the better parks in the chain. The park is one of the smaller Six Flags parks for sure, but it's got a great atmosphere, packs a crap ton of rides into a small area, typically has decent operations, and they always seem to add something new. They really have a kick-ass top two rides with Superman and Wicked Cyclone. They even have a free waterpark with one of those water coasters we all collectively lose our sh!t over!

So anyways, here are some pictures of the place, along with a few words.
001.JPG
First, you must cross the M&Ms bridge from the faraway parking lot, to the very stately, New Englandish entrance
002.JPG
Well, that's a bit embarrassing.
003.JPG
Adopted a QBot for the day, immediately made a reservation. Moderate crowds on this day with Superman waits around 30-40 minutes and Wicked Cyclone around 45 to an hour.

I know there are some raspberry-blowing naysayers out there about skip-the-line systems, but I'll pretty much pick one of these up any time lines are more than 10-15 minutes for things.
004.JPG
Superman was running two trains all day with fast, consistent operations. For the most part, the train would be leaving the station just as the one before it was pulling into the brakes.
005.JPG
Superman...the Ride. I guess it makes it easier to look up on RCDB, but "Ride of Steel" was a much cooler name. I mean I guess it presents a clean break from Bizarro and all that. I don't really care.
006.JPG
The stairway to everything orgasmic about year-2000 Intamin coasters.
007.JPG
...but only after some greasy, lubed-up chain action.
008.JPG
Then you fly through some cool S-shields and sh!t

But for real, in case you were wondering, Superman is still awesome. It's one of the best-drawn layouts in my really not all that humble opinion. The tunnels are cool, the airtime is excellent, and it's a fun coaster you could ride all day...

...however, if we want to live in a fantasy world where all faults are corrected, please throw away the trains with the shitty thigh-resting restraints and replace them with originals that Intamin will clearly still make for you (see Darien Lake). They aren't Skyrush-killer, but they're incredibly awkward and can cause airtime to be painful. What's more, the trains really do take away a little bit from the ride experience. I'm no engineer, but they seem to track awkwardly, at times kind of like a Morgan coaster train turning a parabolic hill into one that suddenly has 2 sharp angles at the top which you crash into.

Sooooo...Superman is still awesome* but had you ridden it 15 years ago, it was like 10% more awesome and 100% more comfortable and never awkward. Fix it for us Six Flags, we'll even let you call it a "BRAND NEW COASTER" and everyone will go along with it.
009.JPG
They have some S&S towers and such, which are always nice to have. What's more, Six Flags was kindly running 2 of them in "combo" mode, so everyone is happy with both their space shot and their turbo drop. But hell will absolutely freeze over before they run that 3rd tower.
010.JPG
So, I thought I was going to have a nice day at Six Flags, until my friend told me that we needed to go on this, at which time my anxiety level shot through the roof, and probably more than just 425 feet in the air. So I swallowed my pride, grit my teeth, and took it.

I can review it for you easily. Every second of it is f*cking terrifying. I kinda sorta got to look at Wicked Cyclone or something, but you're hanging from a chain being twirled around a 425-foot tower. There are no substances on earth that can make me prepared for this.
011.JPG
Amazed that I survived, an airbag saved my life.

Jk, it was Wicked Cyclone, which I don't really think I need to tell you, is excellent.
012.JPG
Jeez, it's like a wicked bad storm came through here!
013.JPG
But in all realness, Wicked Cyclone is one of my favorite RMCs, if not my favorite steel RMC. It follows the original layout of Cyclone extremely well, but really puts a lot of kick into it. The airtime is insane in both the front and back, it's got head choppers, big airtime hills, the fake-out inversion whateverthef*ck, real inversions, pretty much everything.
014.JPG
M@ssholes be like, "I hope you got good insurance, pal!"
015.JPG
A pretty accurate depiction of how Massachusetts actually welcomes you.
16.JPG
Also on my list of "Make Six Flags New England Great Again", would be to bring back a new skyride in the place of the old one. This pretty building is wasted and I really thought the old skyride made the atmosphere in the North End a little more charming.
017.JPG
Very important update that should be posted to the SFNE thread immediately. The new spinning flat DOES INDEED get very close to Joker!
018.JPG
Formerly the "South End", and now "Gotham City", this area of the park changed a bit in the off season, but they did a good job fitting everything in.
019.JPG
In case you needed a reminder that the park still has an SLC you've spared yourself from since 1998, they painted it electric lime f*cking green.

...but they did also make it smoother by adding the new "vest style" restraints with bars too far away to thump your skull. Kids these days have it too easy.
020.JPG
Continuing down through Gotham City, we also rode the always-underrated Batman the Dark Knight. It's painted pretty colors, has some fun forces, and is like a little pocket-sized B&M floorless. The zero-g roll is one of the few that really feel "zero g", there's some snap to the corkscrews, and it's just an all around fun ride.
021.JPG
See? Zero geeeee
022.JPG
Gotham City is also home to one of these Joker S&S Free Fly clones that are now more common in SF parks than a Batman clone. Hope you enjoy the novelty of Wonder Woman, it's coming to a SF park near you!

And if that isn't the concentrated face of a poor bastard trying to hammer out a quick text before the boss comes around. Trying...to...get...these...bags...to...come...apart.....
023.JPG
I really dig the Rockville area of SFNE. It's got atmosphere with games everywhere, food, and people moving through it. It's got costume characters, some rides, and it just looks like you'd expect a park midway to look.
024.JPG
It had come to my attention that SFNE was the newest to adopt the JB's Smokehouse restaurant that we enjoyed at Great America last year. I made this our de-facto destination for when it came time for food, and just like in Chicago, it did not disappoint.
025.JPG
Aside from all the tacky Red Socks BS plastered to the walls in a fake attempt to make it seem like some local sports bar, JB's is exactly the kind of place that's great to split up a theme park day: an air-conditioned room to sit in a cushioned booth, drink a beer, stare at your phone, and eat some food that you'll regret at the gym later.
026.JPG
This was sold to me as a "snack sized" fries with pulled pork. It was absolutely delicious, the sauce was just right, the fries were good, there was plenty of pulled pork, and it was $9.99. But now I have to go and do like 27,000 squats tomorrow.
027.JPG
Best way to digest all that pulled pork? Take a stroll up the quiet streets of Crackaxle Canyon, check out Houdini, wonder when Tomahawk is going to get removed, look around, and you might as well be at Dollywood with some of the nice landscaping and western theming.
028.JPG
Apparently this hasn't opened all year? I know it's a cool big coaster and all that, but just rip it out and replace it with a Raptor Track or whatever. There you go, now you can say you RMC'd Goliath.
029.JPG
Another way to digest your pulled pork? Ride Wicked Cyclone again!
030.JPG
Look at me getting two trains in one shot. By this time of the day, Wicked Cyclone's line was down to about 15-20 minutes, but the Flash Pass considered it a 1 minute wait, so we just marathoned the sh*t out of it happily. It really warmed up and was giving some killer rides!
031.JPG
As the evening was wearing on and we were down to the last hour, we went the classic route and decided to marathon the Man of Steel
032.JPG
Yeah, we got that. Thanks for the sh*tty trains, Bizarro.
033.JPG
Some cool nighttime effects, but could've done without the mist, as it's still in the low 60s at night in Mass this time of year.
034.JPG
And I leave you with...a tunnel. Thanks Six Flags New England for a great day.
Last edited by xVicesAndVirtues on Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:19 pm.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:18 pm

Great report!

I don't find that Superman's trains track poorly in the least bit. The coaster was running a bit sluggish after it was converted to Bizarro, but it has been absolutely hauling the past two years. I do share the same sentiments on the restraints and wish they weren't quite as bulky. Really that's the ride's lone Achilles heel.

As for Scream running three towers, I only saw it once. And immediately after I captured the photograph, all three towers went down. :lol:
Scream Three Towers Operating.JPG
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Twisted Timbers
Most Recent Trip Reports- Quassy and Lake Compounce

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:24 pm

^The trains seem to just kind of "bump" a bit in some spots in a way that Millennium Force's and Superman at SFA's don't in the small hills. Even i305's trains kind of do it at the very top of the second hill, only Superman's seem to in quite a few spots.

You found a hole in the matrix regarding Scream and immediately broke it!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:29 pm

^ The most baffling thing about that day was the line for Scream wasn't even that long. It was a random day in September.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Twisted Timbers
Most Recent Trip Reports- Quassy and Lake Compounce

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:40 am

Wow, looks great! I haven't paid much attention to SFNE, since it's about 1200 miles from me and there are about 8 Six Flags parks closer, but it looks really nice. I wish they all had landscaping like that.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:13 am

Great report of a great, underrated park. Can't wait to get back up there.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Genx24 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:46 am

Great reports thus far. Don't know how I missed this thread before today. I agree with you about SFNE; it's definitely underrated on this board, and easily one of the nicer parks in the chain.
Skyrush/El Toro/Boulder Dash/Superman/New Texas Giant/Phantom's Revenge/Wicked Cyclone/Phoenix/Stormrunner/Xcelerator
Total coasters: 122

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:49 pm

Love your report! =)
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!