TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roller Coaster Safety Concerns for a Big Guy

Good morning everyone. I'm new here and this is my first post. My family purchased season passes this year for Six Flags over GA because we are only about 1.5 hours away and my 4 year loves rides! I haven't been to Six Flags in well over 15 years and this past weekend was our first trip this season. Let me get on with my concerns. I'm a big guy, 6' and about 285 pounds, so I always have concerns about being able to fit in the ride restraints. Well the first ride we got on was Goliath, even though it was freezing outside and wet. I had tried the test seat and it was good except the lap bar didn't come down so I couldn't try that out. Once I loaded onto the ride the attendant had to push down pretty hard to get the lap bar to click into the first notch, but I felt snug as a bug! The entire ride I was scared to death thinking the lap bar was going to release and I was going to fly out of the ride at anytime during the periods of air time, Goliath has a lot of them. The only other big ride we went on was Batman and again the attendant had to help squeeze me in but I didn't feel as bad on that one. My concern is that even though I am able to get the restraints to lock in, am I increasing my risks by being right there on the edge? I'm wondering if the restraints are just as safe on the first notch as they are a few notches in where if one gives way another one could catch it. Maybe I'm just over thinking things but I love coasters and I know I need to drop some weight but I just want to be safe in the meantime. I'm hoping to try to get on Dare Devil Dive and Superman our next trip and hoping I don't have any issues with those restraint systems. Thanks for any feedback you guys could offer!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These safety measures are well built into the ride and designed so that even one click is enough. I would imagine you aren't any less safe than anyone else on the train. As far as I know, there have never been any accidents where the restraint has come unlocked from being on the last click. There are redundancies built into the ride for this and companies like B&M have outstanding proven safety records. Even the Neww Texas Giant accident wasn't attributed to the restraint failing to stay locked. That was an operator error based on no prior similar incidents (that I know of) and specific body type. Put your hands up and rest at ease.

Also, if you're looking to drop some pounds to more easily fit into rides, you're not alone. Check out this thread for some weight loss information from people who speak from experience:

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75647

In virtually every restraint system there is no difference between the first click and the last as far as strength and safety is concerned. If the harness is locked properly, it's staying locked.

THIS! You have to remember that all of those restraints, when locked, have been testing against a heavy weight that no human possess. So when you are properly locked, you aren't going anywhere.

Edited by robbalvey

There's a ton of redundancies on the restraint systems to prevent them from flying open in operation. You should feel plenty comfortable. As a big guy, your bigger worries in life should be stuff that statistically is much more likely to affect you like obstructive sleep apnea, heart disease, and stroke.

As a big guy, your bigger worries in life should be stuff that statistically is much more likely to affect you like obstructive sleep apnea, heart disease, and stroke.

Lmfao. Jesus. You had to go there...

In addition to the reassurance of the "1 click rule" just remember that with almost any restraint on a major roller coaster, you can't get out of them even if you tried. This is especially true, but its generally true with lap bars as well. With some kiddie coasters, and older coasters this may not be true, but anything that's made for adults and has been made in the last several decades will cleverly use the lapbar, as well as the positioning of the seat to make sure you're not going anywhere. I guess the only thing to be concerned about are some of the rides that are a little less restraints. Truth be told, most accidents occur on rides like water slides, as there's no full-proof restraint system. If somebody wants to be stupid and intentionally fly off the edge, you can't really stop them.

I think that many coasters put sample seats in front of the queue these days anyway, so you can test and see if you can realistically get your restraint to close.