Is Marineland worth a visit?

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Re: Is Marineland worth a visit?

Postby Sledgehammer_77 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:47 pm

I would highly recommend checking out Toronto. The res over 50 micro breweries in the city plus a plethora of great Restaraunts from practically every culture. The festivals and markets every weekend are great and I would highly recommend on a good day to check out the islands just a ferry ride from downtown to rent a bike and plan a picnic. There's a lot to do here.
1. Steel Vengance 2. Maverick 3. Behemoth 4. Leviathan 5. Millennium Force

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby JT325 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:47 pm

Dragon Mountain is GREAT... there may have a been a couple *punches to the head* when exiting the tunnels, if my memory serves me. Other than that, it's very smooth and truly one-of-a-kind. More ride-able than MOST Arrow coasters. When I was there it never had more than a 1-3 train wait, but that can turn in a while when they are only running one train on a mile long ride (hi, Hades). There was what looked like a perfectly fresh train in transfer they were not using.

The park overall was beautiful but very deserted and as others have said, it's kind of sad in various ways. Deserted rides, begging bears... It reminded me of a HUGE version of Magic Mountain, but more deserted and with less rides (but cleaner!). Have fun!
#CPFrontierLift2019

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Married a Canadian » Thu May 17, 2018 4:29 am

The tour you have booked looks fine and covers pretty much all of your bases. The Cave of the winds will provide you with flip flops that you can keep afterwards. I would suggest not wearing socks that day till after you have done the "get soaked stuff". You will get wetter at the Cave of the Winds than you do on the Maid of the Mist.

The whirlpool is downriver from "White Water Walk". I wouldn't call it "unforgettable" but it is still quite a view, and there is a "Spanish Aero Car" that takes you across if you have the stomach for it! The trip downriver is very scenic, and the Niagara parks commission keeps the area looking very beautiful. I will be interested to hear your opinion on it. It is one of our favourite places as a family, and it is always the most requested place to visit by all my British tourist friends.

Hope you have a great trip. Will look forward to your report. I won't be able to meet up this time as I am working the next few weekends (downside of shift work!), but if you do find yourself coming up to Toronto for the day then drop me a PM.
Top 10 1 X2 2 Tatsu 3 Apollo's Chariot 4 Skyrush 5 Maverick 6 Iron Rattler 7 Leviathan (front row) 8 Phantom's Revenge 9 Millennium Force 10 Manta 11 Saw The ride 12 Mako

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby ArgoZ » Thu May 17, 2018 5:31 pm

I second the White Water walk. Take a taxi/uber and do it. It's so powerful and impressive to walk right beside the raging river. If there is time, Niagara on the Lake is another must do (stroll the shops and get ice cream).

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:25 pm

yes. . I'm still in Niagara Falls, but felt the urge to log into TPR from the hotel lobby . . . LOL
(we had an absolutely stellar day today at MarineLand, so made me think about TPR).

I spoke to several of the trainers, and the park staff thruout the day (as it was a slow pre-season day for them, and they loved chatting). . .I really do believe them in that changes have been made in terms of treatment of the animals, and there *are* reduced amounts/types of animals on display). I honestly didn't feel bad about the animals as they seemed very well taken care of. (tho the Bears did seem to still do the "begging for food" that I saw Elissa mention when I asked about the park. The animal care staff on hand told us that they are omnivores, and that the park set up the "bear feed" (corn pops) stands, to help prevent folks from tossing them just any type of food. . so at least they are trying to keep them on a restricted diet.

I'll have a trip report up when we get back, but I really did enjoy the place -- as huge and weirdly laid out - as it is.

Added bonus, with the current exchange rate, and discount coupons from the local tourist magazines? it was less than $35 each to get in - and we started off the day with 4 rides on Dragon Mountain, so we could have just ridden that and left, and it still would have been a great day).
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Philrad71 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:48 pm

Glad that you had a great time at Marineland, Bert!

It sounds encouraging if they are putting $$ & effort to properly maintain the park. A new ride or attraction would be great as it seems like forever since they have added anything.

How long are you in NF? While it would have been awesome to meet up with you guys for an afternoon, unfortunately Michael's been having some issues which involved a bunch of hospital tests yesterday.

I think that it's a reaction to a new med he just started taking, but we'll hopefully have his test results back tomorrow.

Funny that we were just talking about a possible visit to San Antonio (in the future) tonight and your post popped in about being in Niagara Falls.

If we get to SA, we're definitely hooking up at SFFT and/or drinks at the Riverwalk :)

Have fun on your trip...looking forward to your trip report!

Postby bert425 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:03 pm

Philrad71 wrote:Glad that you had a great time at Marineland, Bert!

It sounds encouraging if they are putting $$ & effort to properly maintain the park. A new ride or attraction would be great as it seems like forever since they have added anything.

How long are you in NF? While it would have been awesome to meet up with you guys for an afternoon, unfortunately Michael's been having some issues which involved a bunch of hospital tests yesterday.

I think that it's a reaction to a new med he just started taking, but we'll hopefully have his test results back tomorrow.

Funny that we were just talking about a possible visit to San Antonio (in the future) tonight and your post popped in about being in Niagara Falls.

If we get to SA, we're definitely hooking up at SFFT and/or drinks at the Riverwalk :)

Have fun on your trip...looking forward to your trip report!

Hey Phil,

we're only here thru tonight, then on plane back to Texas in morning.

not sure I'd truly say they "are putting $$ & effort to properly maintain the park"

it's VERY overgrown, lots and lots of weeds (but more than one employee I chatted with said that the owner really likes the greenery, and doesn't care if it's trees, bushes, or weeds.. . tho on Ladybug coaster, the op told me that they had cut all the weeds out 3 weeks earlier, and she guessed they didn't get the roots, as the entire center of the track was all weeds.. towering weeds).

definitely odd, and that the park is so dang big, it gives the impression of being abandoned in places (at the top of the skyscreamer mountain, it was like "walking dead" up there, with deserted tables, and tons of weeds peeking out from the bricks. . .. but the ride was open, and the ops were friendly and chatty).

oh, and yeah, Topple Tower is still sitting there, rotting. . .sign is gone, and weeds have ovetaken the ride vehicle.. . the Dragon Mountain Op told me that due to the counterweights below the ride, they would need a crane to remove the ride, and it was simply more cost effective to just let is sit there and rot (I did ask why they don't put a fence around it, or make the station into a restroom, since there's not one close. . LOL).

HOWEVER: *every* ride other than that one was being staffed, and well operated (despite how dead it was in the park). . .and oh, they *are* adding a HUGE new section in the back -- a "bird Safari" section! It's on the maps, and in the tourist magazine ads. . .tho it wasn't open yet -- looked to be a couple of months away from being ready to go.. but they are adding this new area.

Sorry to hear Michael is having a bout of issues. . hopefully just getting used to the meds.

we went slow today (worked out really well that it was so dead, as we could take our time walking, and Nick was able to navigate with no issues. . as long as we went slow). Ended up spending about 6 1/2 hours in the park. And rode almost everything (skipped a couple of the "Family rides" section), but did all the animal exhibits, and peeked into the main show

He even went with me up to Skyscreamer (slowly, but he went). He wasn't going to -- he was gonna wait, but it was almost time to check in for our flight, and we were getting no bars on the phones... so we went to the top of the mountain so we could get internet connection (it worked).

absolutley. . lemme know when you're gonna be in SA. If I'm in town, will drive down to meet ya :)

bert
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Philrad71 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:40 pm

So it sounds as if Marineland hasn't changed much since we visited. Glad to hear that they are adding something new though!

We're actually at the ER now. Michael's condition has worsened, so his doctor recommended this as precaution. BP is low and he's running a temperature. They think that it might be CHF, but they're running all the tests now. :(

Safe travels home, Bert...we also hope to be home soon.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby SLCHeadache » Thu May 31, 2018 2:15 pm

As for my trip, I decided to hold off on Niagara Falls / Marineland / Darien Lake. I can wait until my Six Flags pass works at Darien Lake.
Top steel: Millennium Force / Steel Vengeance / Intimidator 305 / Maverick / Fury 325
Top wood: El Toro / Phoenix / GhostRider / Renegade / Flying Turns

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu May 31, 2018 4:50 pm

Philrad71 wrote:So it sounds as if Marineland hasn't changed much since we visited. Glad to hear that they are adding something new though!

We're actually at the ER now. Michael's condition has worsened, so his doctor recommended this as precaution. BP is low and he's running a temperature. They think that it might be CHF, but they're running all the tests now. :(

Safe travels home, Bert...we also hope to be home soon.

Oh wow. Best of luck to the ER staff, hope they can get him better.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!