TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Magic Mountain, Knott's and SD Giant Dipper

Great updates man! Yeah, I've heard from several people how drastically the park has changed over the years since the 90s. I very much enjoyed my visit in April 2017, however, I'm excited to make my return visit in 5 days. Giant Dipper looks like a very fun woodie as well, I don't know when I'll get down there however

And Canobie Coaster, on my one visit in the morning over a year ago, Xcelerator was running 2 trains... I think. I don't remember a whole lot of small details from that visit.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys! I'm happy people were willing to look at a report that is nearly a year late!

Great report! I really do wish Xcelerator and GhostRider had better capacities.

Well... they could, but it would be mega bucks. Ghostrider could get modifications for dual loading or something like that. Could happen, but it wouldn't seem likely.

I've actually never seen Xcelerator run with two trains and I'm not even sure how much of a difference it would make.

It would definitely increase the capacity, but not sure how much... oh wait a second. Xcelerator was in fact running 2 trains when I was there.

I'm glad you finished the report as somehow I missed the first installment and love the review of SFMM from someone who has not been to a park for a long period. I share the love of X2 which I've ridden nearly 100x and it still scares me on that 1st drop every time...its a polarizing coaster for sure as many on here have a strong disdain for it.

I rode Revolution the year it opened, as well as Colossus, and the originals will always hold special places in my heart...I will not ride it with VR...but I'm thrilled the OTSRs are gone.

We live close to KBF so I guess its my home park now. Season Pass holder but still have not made it out to ride Hang Time. My kids are in college now and my TP cohorts have moved on...my wife only tolerates my obsession...

Anyway, great TR!

^Thank you! I do believe Revolution is not doing VR anymore, someone else may have to back that up.

I can’t wait to get back to X2 and Revolution. 2 coasters on my “definitely worth going out of my way” for. I don’t have a long list of those.

^Thank you! I do believe Revolution is not doing VR anymore, someone else may have to back that up.

I can’t wait to get back to X2 and Revolution. 2 coasters on my “definitely worth going out of my way” for. I don’t have a long list of those.

You are correct, SFMM is no longer doing the VR on Revolution anymore. The have moved on to doing VR on Lex Luthor, which makes even less sense than having it on a coaster! Luckily it hasn't hurt the Lex operations as badly as it did with Revolution. However, Revolution has been down for about a month now and it is still closed. I'm not sure what's going on with it, but I was at the park twice this month and it was closed with no visible activity on it.

^I think I read (on here?!) that Revolution is closed for an unplanned chain replacement. Must've had some issues. Wouldn't Scream have been a better choice for VR? Would B&M require those headset compartments they used on Kraken?

Speaking of Scream... does anyone enjoy it? It seems the park really doesn't need it. Maybe as an overflow on busy days...

Fantastic report! As you know, I feel the same way about the classic Schwartzkopf's as you do so I really appreciate your perspective.

I'm still not over SFoG getting rid of their Shuttle Loop. Viper was just so much fun, and they actually themed THE HELL out of it.

David

I'm still not over SFoG getting rid of their Shuttle Loop. Viper was just so much fun, and they actually themed THE HELL out of it.

Hey wait! I'm still not getting over Tidal Wave leaving our park ... which became your Viper! Ha! But I'm glad you got to enjoy it down there, too. I was lucky to ride our old shuttle at Kentucky Kingdom; it was always a great idea to stop into KK for a dozen (or many more) rides on Greezed Lightnin'. It always made for a great pit stop on the way to or from the south, or Holiday World. What a bummer they tore it apart.

^I think I read (on here?!) that Revolution is closed for an unplanned chain replacement. Must've had some issues. Wouldn't Scream have been a better choice for VR? Would B&M require those headset compartments they used on Kraken?

Speaking of Scream... does anyone enjoy it? It seems the park really doesn't need it. Maybe as an overflow on busy days...

I don't see them getting rid of Scream. It fits in with their theming of the scream pounk district. It is what it is, an average floorless coaster. It is better than Rougarou, but not as good as Medusa to put it into perspective.

I am so happy they got rid of VR on Revolution, the only time I rode it was with VR and now I have another excuse to get back down there when it's back up and running. I have no idea why they thought moving the VR headsets to Lex Luthor was a good idea either, the only real thrill you get on that tower is from the view at the top...oh and the shaking when a Superman car goes up the back side!

I'm also a huge Schwarzkopf fan, and I really appreciate your explanation of why most of his old coasters are still smooth, that ball & socket joint makes so much sense! Montezooma was my first looping coaster back when I was a kid, so it holds a special place in my heart, added plus it still is a kick-butt ride. I honestly can't think of any Schwarzkopf I've ridden that didn't make me smile, including the goofy Wildcat at the Washington State Fairgrounds (although that one left me with some bruises).

Knotts is probably my favorite all-around park in California, they have a great ride selection, wonderful history, and an excellent group of workers who really love their jobs. But your pics of the Belmont Giant Dipper make me realize I'm still missing a ton of intriguing credits in that state. I need to spend more time there!

I'm also a huge Schwarzkopf fan, and I really appreciate your explanation of why most of his old coasters are still smooth, that ball & socket joint makes so much sense!

Thank you... I kinda figured the occasional reader might appreciate that stuff. Also, the semi-loose wheel arrangement works in the favor of a smooth ride. Many of the newer spring-tight configurations transmit a bit of *shock* to the rider, being the wheels are so tight on the track.

Have you been to Six Flags Great America to ride Whizzer? It's the best maintained of all the Schwarzkopf coasters (in Six Flags parks). The trains - including the seat padding - is kept like new.

Is Whizzer the spiral lift coaster? If so, I rode it back in about 1979. My grandparents lived near Chicago and my parents told us if we behaved all week while visiting them we'd be rewarded with a trip to Great America. For some reason, I don't remember much from the visit but do remember that cool spiral lift.

I obviously need to ride it again!

^That's the one! Running better than ever. The park was going to demolish it in 2002 to make way for Superman, but plenty of locals and fans spoke up... how much Whizzer meant to them (to us!). The park got rid of a giant 7-looper Arrow coaster called Shockwave instead. Since, Whizzer has just gotten more and more popular. I was hoping Magic Mountain could spin the re-do of Revolution in such a way that might have the same effect, but they took the "short sighted" VR route. Ride ops were even out in front of the ride "apologizing" when the ride was running in "classic" mode when VR was down due to heat.