Art of Placemaking - Theme Parks

Update - Epcot's World Showcase, Germany and China (P. 4)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Re: Art of Placemaking - Theme Parks

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:42 am

Disney’s Animal Kingdom has some of the best sign designs I’ve ever seen. Thanks for sharing!

I Love Donkeys!

Postby ragerunner1 » Thu May 03, 2018 8:28 am

Epcot's Future World - Lighting (Part 1)

Future World is an interesting space that is designed to create a 'grand feel' with its large geometric buildings and open plazas. While this area does bring a feel of a 'Worlds Fair' the size and scope of the structures, blank walls, lack of architectural details and open plazas give Future World a cold, harsh feel at times and does a poor job of engaging the pedestrian in the space. Compared to World Showcase's intimate, detailed spaces Future World struggles to create environments that make people want to 'linger' in their surroundings. With that said Future World's best side comes out when the lights come on. The lights create new color palettes on the structures and enliven's the blank wall feel of the large buildings.

Up next part 2 of Future World.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby ragerunner1 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:36 am

Continuing on with Epcot's Future World and probably its best architectural building, Mission Space followed by The Seas and a very human scale entrance for The Land. Disney has done a great job of highlighting the architectural details of these buildings to strengthen the theme when the sun goes down.

Up next I will jump to Disney's Hollywood Studios.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue May 22, 2018 5:19 pm

You really pick out some interesting angles, and shots of some things most people wouldn't give a second look at.

And make them really cool to look at! Wonderful shots they are. Looking forward to more. :mickey:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I Love Donkeys!

Postby ragerunner1 » Thu May 24, 2018 1:26 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:You really pick out some interesting angles, and shots of some things most people wouldn't give a second look at.

And make them really cool to look at! Wonderful shots they are. Looking forward to more. :mickey:

Thank you.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Thu May 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Such beautiful, amazing photos. I love that you take the time to capture great shots I straddle of just snapping the same pic everyone else already has. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more!
Bigger is not always better.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby ragerunner1 » Fri May 25, 2018 8:59 am

Disney's Hollywood Studios - Lighting

Disney's Hollywood Studios is my favorite WDW park when it comes to lighting and architecture. The beautiful art deco architecture and neon lighting is one of my favorite building styles. This type of architecture really incorporates lighting as part of the buildings design, instead of being an accent to the structure. Add in some great 'destination icon buildings' that are beautifully lite at the terminus of the main corridors and you have a wonderful blend between the architecture of the park and its lighting.

Up next Epcot's World Showcase.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby ragerunner1 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:51 am

Epcot's World Showcase - Lighting

While Epcot's Future World at times lacks architectural details and intimate spaces that make people want to linger. World Showcase is full of detailed, human scale spaces with lighting that is designed to strengthen the already rich environment and 'public spaces' that make up each pavilion.

Canada - Lighting
The lighting in the Canadian Pavilion is fairly minimal but does a nice job of creating a cohesive environment in a land that packs together a rustic, formal design into a very compact space. Every time I visit this pavilion I just think how perfect a wilderness type water ride would fit into this pavilion. Maybe one day.

England - Lighting

The lighting in England is focused on the gaslight lamp theme that brings a traditional/historic feel out of the richly designed buildings and gardens. Sherlock Holmes postcards.

France - Lighting

The lighting in France really focuses on bring out the elegant feel of a turn of the century Paris. With its focus on the buildings, arcades, formal spaces and using interior building lights to flood out onto the public walkways.

Up next Morocco and Japan.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby ragerunner1 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:41 am

Two new 'Summer Events' are kicking off at WDW.
One is located in Animal Kingdom and is called Donald's Dino Bash. They have added some new signage, meet and greats, a dance party area and some upbeat music throughout Dinoland.

Another summer event is located in Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom. This event is called Incredible Tomorrowland Expo. This event has a lot of new signage throughout the land, new photo locations, and a dance party with the Incredibles.

Here are a few night time shots.

And a few MK Castle area photos to wrap up the evening.

Next, back to Epcot.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby ragerunner1 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:21 am

Morocco - Lighting

Morocco has become my favorite 'Country' to walk through at Epcot at night. The detailed lighting is designed to create a colored light palette that adds different textures at night to the builds. The soft lighting inside the bazaar shopping areas create beautifully lite walkways and complements the tower structures throughout the land.

Japan - Lighting

The Japanese pavilion's lighting does an amazing job of highlighting the traditional architectural elements of Japan. These architectural elements of wooden and stone buildings, pagodas, screens and sliding doors, verandas and the integration of nature are strengthened by up lighting and hanging lantern lights.

Up next America and Italy.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!