Pixar in the Parks: Toy Story Land & Pixar Pier Sneak Peek!

Part 3 - Pixar Pier & Toy Story Land Closer Look!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Pixar in the Parks: Toy Story Land & Pixar Pier Sneak Peek!

Postby robbalvey » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:52 am

Part One - Behind the Scenes at Toy Story Land & Pixar Pier
Part Two - The Amazing food of Pixar Fest!
Part Three - Closer look at Pixar Pier & Toy Story Land

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last week TPR was invited on a whirlwind trip of amazing Disney magic! The overall theme of this media event was "Pixar in the Parks" celebrating the upcoming opening of Toy Story Land at Walt Disney World Hollywood Studios, Pixar Pier at Disney California Adventure, and Toy Story Land at Shanghai Disneyland. Our journey would take us to the Disney resorts in both California & Florida along with a super amazing visit to Walt Disney Imagineering in Glendale, California!

This is going to be very much a "visual" report, so let's jump right in with photos & video from our visit to Walt Disney Imagineering...

First a video showcasing some of the design processes that Disney Imagineers go through to develop new attractions:

wdi 1.jpg
For those of you who may not be aware "WDI" has been the creative backbone for the Disney Parks & Resorts since the very beginning. Located in Glendale, California in a completely nondescript building (actually an entire campus made up of many nondescript buildings) you will find some of the most amazing creative talent working today in the theme park business.

wdi 2.jpg
Not only is the building on the outside completely plain and lack of any hint that anything creative at all may be going on inside that building, even the lobby area has a fairly "professional" vibe to it, not much different than your typical office building. But once you are granted "clearance" to proceed...

wdi 3.jpg
...immediately the magic begins! Most office buildings have "hallways" with doors leading to offices. But WDI has a "monorail" hallway that you go through, complete with flat panel screens showing off some of the amazing work that has come out of this building over the many decades!

wdi 4.jpg
And this is just the start of our magical tour!

model 7.jpg
Our first stop was the model sculpting area where we stopped by their "warehouse" for lack of a better term filled with models, maquettes, and animatronic busts from decades of Disney attractions! This one room was an amazing display of theme park history!

model 8.jpg
Everywhere you look there are loads of characters from attractions you grew up with!

model 6.jpg
These are the actual original statues from Disneyland's Snow White Grotto! I could easily spend a whole day in here looking around!

Walt Disney Imagineering Working Model of Pixar Pier  20171207A_053.CORREX.jpg
Next up we took a look at the giant model for the upcoming transformation of Paradise Pier which will become Pixar Pier at Disney California Adventure!

Walt Disney Imagineering Working Model of Pixar Pier  20180306_WDI_Poole00240.jpg
The model had some incredible detail to it.

model 10.jpg
Here is a close up of some of that work being put into the model

IMG_6302.JPG
While we were visit, they were working on installing the roller coaster train for the "Incredicoaster!"

IMG_6299.JPG
The trains will all have a new "Incredibles" look to them.

IMG_6315.JPG
Here's another look at the model. Again, I could spend all day here!

IMG_6304.JPG
And there were certain sections that had larger sections built so that Imagineers could get a better look at different perspectives of the upcoming attractions.

IMG_6305.JPG
And here's a little idea of something you will see inside one of the tunnels on Incredicoaster!

model 3.jpg
Our next stop was a look at maquette modeling.

model 5.jpg
There is where small models are made of each ride vehicle so that Imagineers can get an idea of what the design looks like in a full 3D tangible model.

model 4.jpg
Again the attention to detail is just incredible! (Pixar pun intended!)

Pixar Pier Jessie’s Critter Carousell.jpg
These figures are all for Jessie's Critter Carousel which will replace King Triton's Carousel in Pixar Pier.

model 11.jpg
There was also a model of this new attraction also!

Walt Disney Imagineering Sculpted Maquettes Of The Critters On Jessie’s Critter Carousel 20180306_WDI_Poole00197.jpg
I love the backwards skunk character! lol

IMG_6328.JPG
There a better look at him!

0310ZS_4363DR.jpg
And then after all those steps in the creative process: concept art, modeling, maquettes, etc, those dreams become a reality when the actual characters are installed. Here's Wheezy who was just recently installed in Toy Story Land at Walt Disney World Hollywood Studios!

dish logo.jpg
Our final and probably the most amazing stop (and trust me, it was ALL amazing!) was The "DISH!"

dish 2.jpg
The best way to describe The DISH was like the "Disney Holodeck" (Yes, that is a Star Trek: TNG reference!) as it allows you to step into a virtual design of a ride or an area and move around that environment just as though you were really there. If you wear that hat you see in the middle of the room, the entire room moves with you, like being inside of a VR headset! But in The DISH, many people can be inside, discuss ideas with each other, view reactions, etc. It truly is an amazing creative tool!

dishcoaster 1.jpg
Pull up a chair and you can even "ride" and test out the concept of a new attraction. You can look around and see the perspective from what the rider will see.

dishcoaster 2.jpg
We got to "virtually ride" the Incredicoaster (I won't give away spoilers) and it was amazing! So much more interesting than any VR headset I've looked into!

dishcoaster 3.jpg
OK, maybe I'll give away one little spoiler! :P

dish 3.jpg
We also got to take a virtual walk through Toy Story Land at Walt Disney World Hollywood Studios and it was amazing experiencing it this way!

dish 1.jpg
It was amazing getting to experience this new land virtually...

toy story land.jpg
And then two days later actually see it in person!

That wraps up this first part of the report! Thank you everyone for reading! Pixar Pier opens June 23rd at Disney California Adventure & Toy Story Land opens June 30th at Walt Disney World Hollywood Studios! More to come soon... Now POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!
Last edited by robbalvey on Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:02 pm.

Site Admin

Re: Pixar in the Parks: Toy Story Land & Pixar Pier Sneak Pe

Postby SharkTums » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:59 am

I don't know which I like better...the backwards skunk on the carousel or WHEEZY!!!!!! So glad to see him getting the recognition he deserves.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby The Geek Mojo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:08 am

WOW!That was an incredible experience seeing this. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Being a huge Pixar fan, I'm so glad Disney is doing more with Pixar in the parks. It's going to be amazing!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Location: Ether Houston across from the Astrodome or at SFSTL riding the Screamin' Eagle

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:11 am

Great report! Disney Imagineering is such an awesome looking place!
Coaster Count: 96
1990's: "ugh. I hope we don't get a Vekoma"
2010: "I really hope we get a Vekoma!"

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:30 am

Incredible insight! Really really cool they let you record some of the behind the scenes work that showcases the idea-to-reality.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:51 am

I really appreciate this inside look into Walt Disney Imagineering! Very few get the chance to see this creative space, so I'm extremely grateful that you're able to share such incredible photos for those of us who may never be able to set foot inside their offices ourselves.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby CoasterLover » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:53 am

Wow! That is really, REALLY neat! Thanks for sharing!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby JordyC » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:57 am

That looks so awesome! Great report and thanks for sharing!
Quality Over Quantity

1. Shambhala - PortAventura Park 2. Taron - Phantasialand 3. Helix - Liseberg 4. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 5. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa-Park 6. Blue Fire Megacoaster - Europa-Park 7. Silver Star - Europa-Park 8. Goliath - Walibi Holland 9. Balder - Liseberg 10. Alpina Blitz - Nigloland

Coasters: 170 || Parks: 33

Parque Warner || Parque de Atracciones || Python 2.0 || Phantasialand || Movie Park Germany || Nigloland || Walygator Parc || Bakken || Tivoli Gardens || PortAventura || Ferrari Land

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby ThrillDude200 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:10 am

Really cool! Although, I don't really like the transformation of California Screamin'. But still, cool update! And also, IS THAT THE SUN WHEEL? :shockr:

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:11 am

ThrillDude200 wrote:I don't really like the transformation of California Screamin'.

To be fair, it's not open yet. We got to "virtually" ride it, and I can tell you I much prefer the theming and the experience on this new version. The rest of the ride is the same, though.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!