Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Halloween- Lagoon, Lake Compounce, SFNE
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Dombot » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:21 am

Nice report from my backyard! Couldn't agree more about Slinky Dog, even though you may be a bit biased. :lol: I do prefer Rock n Roller Coaster better, but I'd be hard pressed to name a better family coaster than SDD. Makes me want to try Manta at SeaWorld San Diego, Mack makes some really good stuff.
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Mako 5. Alpengeist

"Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares." ~Randall Munroe

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby coneyislandchris » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:53 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Image

^ Goddamn if that isn't the happiest looking coaster in the world. Just seeing him speeding through the greenery like that put a smile on my face. :D
That coaster dad [316] and that coaster kiddo [175]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Banshee. Top Thrill Dragster. Valravn. Apollo's Chariot. Twisted Timbers.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:11 am

Dombot wrote:Nice report from my backyard! Couldn't agree more about Slinky Dog, even though you may be a bit biased. :lol: I do prefer Rock n Roller Coaster better, but I'd be hard pressed to name a better family coaster than SDD. Makes me want to try Manta at SeaWorld San Diego, Mack makes some really good stuff.

Thanks! Honestly I'd say that Manta is a completely different animal. Yes it's also by Mack and stays close to the ground, but that coaster has way more airtime than you'd think. It's like the mini Gravity Group woodie of steel coasters.

coneyislandchris wrote:^ Goddamn if that isn't the happiest looking coaster in the world. Just seeing him speeding through the greenery like that put a smile on my face. :D

That's the magic of Slinky Dog Dash.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:15 am

Glad you enjoyed Toy Story Land so much! Slinky Dog Dash is a genuinely fun family coaster and the land is a nice addition to the park!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby alilstronger » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:33 pm

Awesome update! I live about 7 hours from this park and really want to get there. I love these small hole in the wall parks a lot.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Home park: Six Flags America
Favorite park overall: All Walt Disney World Parks
Favorite Steels: Maverick, Millennium Force, Sky Rush, Talon, Poltergeist, I-305
Favorite Woodies: Iron Rattler, Phoenix, Roar, El Toro, Jack Rabbit, Thunderbolt, The Raven, The Legend
TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:57 pm

jedimaster1227 wrote:Glad you enjoyed Toy Story Land so much! Slinky Dog Dash is a genuinely fun family coaster and the land is a nice addition to the park!

It's another great family ride which the park was in dire need of. And I completely forgot about Mickey's Runaway Railway too. The Studios is having one heck of a transformation.

alilstronger wrote:Awesome update! I live about 7 hours from this park and really want to get there. I love these small hole in the wall parks a lot.

Thanks! I assume you mean Camden and not Disney, right? I wouldn't call a park top 10 in attendance a hole in the wall. :lol:
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:04 am

Disney’s Animal Kingdom- September

The allure of riding Slinky Dog Dash at night was strong. I thoroughly enjoyed my day ride and figured the lighting package, particularly during the booster section, would be quite nice. However, there were more pressing matters. When you think of rides you need to experience at night, what comes to mind? Beast, Boulder Dash, Millennium Force? For me, Flight of Passage immediately comes to mind.

From a ride perspective, there’s no difference between riding at the crack of dawn or evening. From a queue perspective, there’s a big difference. With the booking window on my buddy’s guest passes, we knew a Flight of Passage FastPass was unlikely. We did our due diligence and kept refreshing, but we struck out. So that meant either dealing with a mob at rope drop or calling Disney’s bluff on an absurdly high posted wait time at closing. The latter worked well in February, so we planned to do the same.

Tree of Life 5.jpg

Until then, we had plenty of time to make a loop around the park. We started with Dinosaur. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If I lived in blissful ignorance and had no knowledge of Indiana Jones Adventure’s existence, I’d be more impressed with Dinosaur. I am absolutely in love with the ride system. That and the layout are shared between the two. However, I think there may have been a discrepancy in the overall budget.

Indiana Jones is a 360 degree spectacle of practical effects and colossal set-pieces. The only scene devoid of theming is that brief jaunt through total darkness, but it works there because it’s not the norm. Dinosaur gets in a rhythm of showing an impressive dinosaur animatronic followed by darkness. While each passing animatronic gets more impressive, the gaps between them get longer. It’s the ride equivalent of a movie building to this awesome climax, but instead spending too much time on a side plot.

Now admittedly, Indiana Jones Adventure is an unfair standard. That ride is an 11 out of 10 and one of the single greatest attractions on the planet. To be perfectly honest, I’d take Indiana Jones over some coasters in my overall top 25. It’s that amazing. It’s impossible not to compare the two because they literally have the exact same layout and ride system. But when viewed in a vacuum, Dinosaur is still plenty impressive and better than 95% of the dark rides out there. I just know it could have been better. 9 out of 10

Dinosaur Statue.jpg
My teasing and mocking of Dinosaur is out of love.

Carnival Games.jpg
Meanwhile any hatred directed towards this area is legitimate. This area does not belong in a Disney park.

We did manage to secure Expedition Everest FastPasses, so we made our way to the forbidden mountain. We were a bit early, so we stalled by walking right on via the single rider line! The first third lets you appreciate the Mount Everest in all its glory and then comes out of nowhere with that backwards helix that can even make seasoned coaster riders see some grey. Then the finale has one of the most photographed drops in the world and holds its speed well as it dances around the mountain. While the back has more whip, I do prefer this one in the front to fully take in the visuals.

I probably shouldn’t like Slinky Dog Dash more. One coaster is arguably located in the most visually stunning faux mountain in the world. And the other is in a backyard. One coaster actually has some balls. The other is just a wiener. But I prefer Slinky Dog Dash. I’m not crazy though; Space Mountain is still the resort’s best coaster. 8 out of 10

Expedition Everest Drop (Far).jpg
I'm pretty sure you've all seen this shot.

Expedition Everest Statue.jpg
Disney thanks you for your contribution. It's donations like this that make their purchase of Fox possible. No, not the media chain. I'm talking about some extra downloadable content in a Star Fox video game.

I considered Kali River Rapids, but the risk of wrecking my single pair of shoes was too great. So instead we queued up for Kilimanjaro Safaris. The line didn’t look too long, but we barely moved and it was evident that not all the transits were in use. Usually I ride the safari first thing in the morning, so it was interesting experiencing it near sunset for a change. Several animals were active. Rhinos were running, giraffes and elephants were feeding, and of course the lazy sloths known as lions were doing nothing.

I remembered the ride being bumpy. It’s supposed to simulate an authentic safari after all. However, it seemed bumpier than Dinosaur. This made it quite challenging to grab many photos, but a wildebeest helped me out and tried racing alongside the transit which was a very cool sight. I’m probably a terrible person for saying this (and probably get on PETA’s good side), but I actually prefer the comedy and dry humor of the Jungle Cruise over the real safari. :lol: 8 out of 10

Wildebeast 1.jpg
Wildebeests were running.

Elephants Eating.jpg
Elephants were eating.

Giraffes.jpg
Giraffes were walking.

Lion Sleeping.jpg
And lions were doing absolutely nothing as usual.

It was time to return to the crown jewel of animal kingdom, Pandora. I know the Tree of Life is the park’s iconic centerpiece, but I think the floating mountains are even more impressive. That’s nothing against the Tree of Life. Pandora is just that spectacular. Pictures do not do this land justice.

Floating Mountains (Day 5).jpg
As breathtaking as Pandora looks by day...

Floating Mountains (Night 3).jpg
it looks even better at night.

I missed out on Na’vi River Journey last time, but it was a must on this trip. The wait was posted at 60 minutes, but we only waited half that. When we reached the station, I was surprised to see boats with just 2 rows of seats. But I quickly realized that didn’t matter. The boats stack up to the point that the ride feels like it has an omnimover system.

Na’vi River Journey felt like the fantasy version of Living with the Land. Instead of seeing real plants that I don’t know the name of, I saw mystical plants from a make believe land that I also couldn’t identify. But the visuals were stunning and serene. I also thought the ride integrated the screens in very well without detracting from the beauty of Pandora.

Then I cannot talk about Na’vi River Journey without talking about that Shaman animatronic. Holy moly does that thing look good! The motion is so varied and fluid. It looks completely realistic if you remove the blue skin. Assuming waits eventually die down for this, Na’vi River Journey will be well worth a ride. Otherwise it could be the new Peter Pan (the dark ride I enjoy but won’t wait an hour for). 8 out of 10

Navi' River Journey Shaman 1.jpg
My jaw hit the bottom of the boat when I saw this.

We stopped for a quick dinner at the Avatar restaurant. I was conservative and went with the beef bowl, which is one of the healthiest items I have ever ordered at any amusement park. And it was pretty good too! My buddy wasn’t quite as lucky. He was feeling adventurous so he tried to cheeseburger dumplings and he was not impressed. I almost got them myself, but backed out once I found out the condiments were already mixed inside.

Pongu Pongu Exterior.jpg
We had heard good things about this restaurant, so we gave it a try.

Pongu Pongu Meat Bowl.jpg
I really liked my meal, but buddy wasn't as fond of his dumpling.

We made our way over to Flight of Passage only to see a 120 minute wait. We chuckled to ourselves as the employee tried to discourage as many people as possible from entering the queue. The queue was at the same point as it was in February and that wait took just over an hour. This time, the wait flew. The incredible theming kept us preoccupied, but we barely stopped moving as well. We were at the preshow in about 40 minutes. I’ll take a 66% reduction in wait time!

What hasn’t already been said about Flight of Passage? There’s no plot, but it doesn’t need one. It’s a majestic joyride through the sky, but unlike Soarin’, this one actually has some bite to it and that’s why I love it so much. For all those who have anointed Universal the king of screen based rides, Disney says “hold my beer.”

Disney’s best attractions are the ones that are immersive from the moment you enter the queue. Take Indiana Jones and Tower of Terror as prime examples. Flight of Passage is right up there. The queue seamlessly flows into the attraction, which is incredible. Everyone comes off the ride beaming and I’m pretty sure the woman next to me had tears of joy coming off the ride. This truly is one of the best rides at the resort. I honestly think only Splash Mountain tops it. 10 out of 10

Flight of Passage Lab 2.jpg
Even the queue is thoroughly entertaining.

Flight of Passage Mural.jpg
The sense of flight is incredibly well executed.

Due to time constraints, I had to cut out one park during my weekend trip to Disney. No way that would be Hollywood Studios with Slinky Dog Dash awaiting me and a trip to Disney wouldn’t be complete without the Magic Kingdom. Prior to Pandora, it would have been unthinkable for me to visit Animal Kingdom over Epcot. But that single land is that much of a game changer.
Last edited by Canobie Coaster on Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:52 pm.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:00 pm

Nice report! I've gotten a bowl at the Satu'li Canteen and they're pretty good, but I much prefer Yak & Yeti if I'm at AK. Since the addition of Pandora, the park is probably my favorite in the resort from a theming/rides standpoint. You're drunk, Everest is the best coaster in the resort! :lmao:

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby sirloindude » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:14 am

Great TR, and if I may continue the discussion on Everest, I might actually prefer Slinky Dog Dash to Everest as well. Slinky Dog Dash is one of the best at what it does, whereas I feel Everest is a visually stunning yet, and pardon the harshness of this, pretty weak attempt to be a thrilling coaster. It has some great moments and it isn't a total dud by any means, but I think I expected a lot more from such a massive ride. In my opinion, there are at least three coasters on property better than it, and maybe even a fourth.

TL, DR recap: I don't think Everest is all it's cracked up to be because I had the wrong expectations. :lol:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:01 pm

xVicesAndVirtues wrote:Nice report! I've gotten a bowl at the Satu'li Canteen and they're pretty good, but I much prefer Yak & Yeti if I'm at AK. Since the addition of Pandora, the park is probably my favorite in the resort from a theming/rides standpoint. You're drunk, Everest is the best coaster in the resort! :lmao:

Thanks! I've never been to Yak and Yeti's, but I'll consider trying them next time. I still stand by my opinion. :lol:

sirloindude wrote:Great TR, and if I may continue the discussion on Everest, I might actually prefer Slinky Dog Dash to Everest as well. Slinky Dog Dash is one of the best at what it does, whereas I feel Everest is a visually stunning yet, and pardon the harshness of this, pretty weak attempt to be a thrilling coaster. It has some great moments and it isn't a total dud by any means, but I think I expected a lot more from such a massive ride. In my opinion, there are at least three coasters on property better than it, and maybe even a fourth.

TL, DR recap: I don't think Everest is all it's cracked up to be because I had the wrong expectations. :lol:

Thanks! I don't think Everest is meant to be a mega thrill ride. It's more about the theming and atmosphere. In that regard, it succeeds so any added thrills along the way are just gravy.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!