Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Quassy- Wooden Warrior and some crazy little flats
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby terdferg » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:44 am

great stuff! And to answer your chickies and Petes question...They are a popular restaurant that started as a Philly sports bar.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:18 am

Just getting caught up here. Great reporting, as usual! SDC looks amazing, I really need to make it out there at some point.

Canobie Coaster wrote:Are there any Chickie's & Pete's outside of Cedar Fair parks?

Not only are they at not just CF parks, the CF park locations are generally a VERY limited menu compared to the menu @ full sit-down locations in and around Philadelphia (the original location is about a 7 minute drive from where I grew up). There are locations all around Philly now, as well as stands in all of the Philly sports venues, on the boardwalks along the Jersey Shore (two in Wildwood - a sit down right across from Mariners, and a walk up crab fry stand on the North end) as well as two spots in Hersheypark.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:36 am

terdferg wrote:great stuff! And to answer your chickies and Petes question...They are a popular restaurant that started as a Philly sports bar.

Thanks! I figured they had a start outside theme parks but that's the only place I've seen them.

boldikus wrote:Just getting caught up here. Great reporting, as usual! SDC looks amazing, I really need to make it out there at some point.

Canobie Coaster wrote:Are there any Chickie's & Pete's outside of Cedar Fair parks?

Not only are they at not just CF parks, the CF park locations are generally a VERY limited menu compared to the menu @ full sit-down locations in and around Philadelphia (the original location is about a 7 minute drive from where I grew up). There are locations all around Philly now, as well as stands in all of the Philly sports venues, on the boardwalks along the Jersey Shore (two in Wildwood - a sit down right across from Mariners, and a walk up crab fry stand on the North end) as well as two spots in Hersheypark.

Thanks! Since you're a big fan of Busch Gardens Williamsburg (I mean who isn't when you think about it), you'd love Silver Dollar City.

Now that I think about it, I think I have been to that Hershey location and also hit the one at Gillian's Wonderland Pier. I figured they had a start outside parks and will have to try one with the full menu someday.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Twisted Timbers
Most Recent Trip Reports- Quassy

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:56 am

Six Flags New England- Harley Quinn Spinsanity

My visiting habits to SFNE are sort of odd. I usually visit 2-3 times before Labor Day and 2-3 times after Labor Day. If I visit in the summer, usually it’s only for 2-3 hours around closing because I force my route through Springfield. Since I purchased a season-long Flash Pass during last year’s Flash Sale, I may change those habits a bit this year. But this visit was my usual summer visit.

My goal was to ride the big two coasters and Harley Quinn Spinsanity. Anything else would be gravy. My sister wasn’t interested the least bit in Harley Quinn, so I figured I’d Flash Pass that a few times and hope Wicked Cyclone and Superman had modest waits. However, I wasn’t too optimistic when I pulled into the parking lot.

For those familiar with SFNE, I was parked way back in the second lot. Usually I walk, but I figured this was an occasion for the tram. About halfway through the main lot, the tram crawled to a stop and we were transferred over to a bus. I’d say it was planned, but I honestly think we ran out of gas :lol:

Goliath Closed.jpg
That tram only took a 15 minute break. Goliath has taken a season long break.

Once in the park, the first order of business was to process my membership. I wasn’t planning on upgrading until next year, but I needed to expedite it in order to ride Fiesta Texas when I was in San Antonio for work on the membership preview weekend. I think any enthusiast would have done the same.

The membership house was a complete madhouse. The staff members were friendly, but most of them needed to defer their questions to the lone on-duty manager who was seemingly helping 3-4 customers simultaneously. Hopefully the membership process flows more smoothly in the future.

Despite parking in the absolute boonies, crowds in the ride park were actually quite manageable. My sister and I walked right onto the back row of Wicked Cyclone. This is definitely my most ridden RMC. For an RMC, it’s middle-of-the-road, but that’s still an easy 10 out of 10 coaster.

The layout is a non-stop barrage of floater airtime in the inversions and ejector airtime on the drops. The ending bit after the zero-G roll was crawling, but even when this happens, the final outward banked airtime hill and two hills leading into the brake run still provide satisfyingly strong pops of ejector air.

Wicked Cyclone.jpg
I'm pretty sure this would have been called Twisted Cyclone if it weren't for this being in New England.

Superman had a considerably lengthier wait. The entire queue house was filled, but speedy operations had us in the station within 20 minutes. Then we waited an extra 20 minutes for the front row. That is the absolute money seat on Superman. It’s one of the few hypers where that’s the case for me.

Superman was running pretty well early in the season despite the 40-50 degree weather, but Superman loves summer more than Olaf. It was absolutely hauling like it was for much of last year. I don’t know what SFNE did to Superman last year, but it hasn’t run this well since the Bizarro conversion.

The layout is near perfection. The beginning is like any other hyper, except the airtime is sustained ejector. The fourth hill in particular is one of the most powerful airtime moments on the planet. Then the second half is a tangled mess of airtime and positive Gs. When it runs like this, it’s still my favorite in the park over Wicked Cyclone. 10 out of 10

Superman.jpg
SFNE reinvigorated the Man of Steel. The same can't be said about the DC movie universe.

It was time for the newest hotness- Harley Quinn Spinsanity. Harley Quinn forever changes the South End (err Gotham City) skyline. It’s truly unbelievable walking towards it and seeing just how close it gets to Joker. It really looks like Harley Quinn is about to bang the Joker.

I had reserved Harley Quinn during my Superman ride, so I was able to bypass the posted 70 minute wait. The queue line was overflowing onto the midway so it looks like the park has a hit on its hands! The lengthy cycle and loading procedure also contributed. I hope the park keeps the cycle as-is, but they need to do something about the latter.

To load Harley Quinn, the park cattle pens a group of 20 riders by Gate A and another 20 riders at Gate B. After the previous ride, SFNE opens both gates which leads to a free-for-all reminiscent of Black Friday shopping. Then the groups who can’t ride together inevitably circle the attraction a few times. Some separate while others re-enter the queue, which leads to the ride not running at max capacity. They really need to assign riders seat numbers in sequential order to minimize confusion and keep groups together.

As for the ride, it is now SFNEs best flat, and that’s no easy feat when you have a 400 foot tall star flyer. These Zamperla giant discoveries take a while to reach their max height, but once they do, it’s pure bliss. You experience sustained floater air in all sorts of different positions. And there’s probably 8 or so maximum swings, which far exceeds the norm for this type of ride. Beyond the airtime, you absolutely feel the 70MPH on the downswings. It’s crazy this is almost as fast as Superman.

I do prefer the Intamin giant frisbees (it only feels natural to prefer Intamin over Zamperla), but these are the next best option out there. 9.5 out of 10

Harley Quinn Swing.jpg
Harley Quinn is absolutely imposing in person.

Harley Quinn Entrance.jpg
Looks like SFNE has a hit on their hands.

Harley Quinn Close 1.jpg
A pendulum of happy riders.

Harley Quinn Close 2.jpg
I still can't believe how close this thing gets to the Joker. They don't leave room for the holy ghost.

Harley Quinn Evening.jpg
And the lighting package is truly spectacular as well.

I suggested we ride Riddler Revenge next, but my sister absolutely refused. She’s not particularly tall, so the old restraints beat her head into submission so badly that she lost a pair of earrings. That experience could never be erased from her mind. I tried explaining that it was retrofitted with better restraints, but right as I said that someone came down the exit ramp saying it hurt so she didn’t exactly believe me.

Though the proof is in the pudding. I will actually ride this SLC now! It still tracks as poorly as the other SLCs out there, but the complete elimination of headbanging lets me enjoy the intense, rapid-fire succession of inversions instead of entering into the concussion protocol. 7 out of 10

Nightwing.jpg
Also to note, I'm shocked the park renamed their Slingshot to fit in with the Gotham area, but it's a nice touch.

We wanted to finish our night with last rides on Wicked Cyclone and Superman. We rode the former in the first row and it was hauling through the finale unlike our first ride. Then we tried to get one last ride on Superman, but it broke down due to a train issue. We wanted to hit Nicky’s before continuing our drive down south and since this awesome pizza place closed at 10 pm, we bailed early, so I’m not sure if they got Superman back up and running before the night ended.

SFNE has been knocking it out of the park lately with their additions. In the past 5 years, they’ve given us the (formerly) world’s tallest star flyer, an awesome RMC, a restored Superman, a chaotic free fly (say what you want, but I love Joker), and now an outstanding giant frisbee. Harley Quinn is definitely a ride that’s a must in any future visit to this park.
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Twisted Timbers

Postby boldikus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:08 pm

Another excellent update. I really, really want to get back to that park this year. HQ looks fantastic, and I really like this park a lot. If by fourth hill on Superman you mean the one right before the S shields (near the onride photo) I agree 100%, that was one of my my favorite hills on the ride. Also, this photo is amazing:

:lover: :lover: Thanks for the new desktop.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby michaellynn4 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:01 pm

Man, I really wish SFGAdv would get one of these sometime soon. This looks awesome. Maybe next year.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:51 pm

boldikus wrote:Another excellent update. I really, really want to get back to that park this year. HQ looks fantastic, and I really like this park a lot. If by fourth hill on Superman you mean the one right before the S shields (near the onride photo) I agree 100%, that was one of my my favorite hills on the ride. Also, this photo is amazing:

Thanks for the new desktop.

Thanks! Yes the fourth hill is the one leading into the shields. That hill is El Toro level airtime.

Glad you liked the Harley Quinn photo. It looked even better when it got darker out, but my phone couldn't handle all the lights.

michaellynn4 wrote:Man, I really wish SFGAdv would get one of these sometime soon. This looks awesome. Maybe next year.

It really is an awesome ride and I'd have no problem if Six Flags cloned it at all their parks.

I have no issues with clones. I have issues with bad clones.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:10 am

Sesame Place

Last year I made the pilgrimage that no grown adult without kids should ever make, a solo trip to Sesame Place. But the allure of a custom Vekoma roller skater was too great. The park absolutely nailed it's target demographic, but it wasn't a place for thrill seekers to spend more than an hour at.

IMG_2456.JPG
This used to be the only reason for enthusiasts without kids to visit the park.

IMG_2453.JPG
I love the landscaping in the entry plaza.

IMG_2454.JPG
Hi Elmo.

I said I wasn't going to return until I had kids. I said the same thing about Story Land. But then they added Roar-o-saurus. That was a game-changer. It was a borderline miracle that Gravity Group was able to cram that much airtime into a coaster no taller than 40 feet. Then Sesame Place announced a very similar attraction that cemented a return trip in 2018. That ride was Oscar's Wacky Taxi.

IMG_20180603_110632.jpg
And awaaaaay enthusiasts go to Sesame Place.

The POV was very reminiscent of Roar-o-saurus, an endless barrage of airtime hills. Now there was a risk Sesame Place would dial it back a bit, but it was a risk I was willing to take. After all, if the trip was a bust, El Toro was just a half hour east. Neither my girlfriend nor sister were willing to gamble on Oscar's Wacky Taxi like me, so I had another solo visit to Sesame Place.

The day got off to a bumpy start. Actually I should say rough, the bumpy part comes later (don't worry, it wasn't Oscar's Wacky Taxi or Steel Vengeance for that matter). For some odd reason my SeaWorld Platinum Pass wasn't accepted at the toll booth so I had to fork over $20. Fortunately my first trip to guest services got me a refund and they apologized for the misunderstanding.

Once in the park, I made a casual walk to Oscar's Wacky Taxi. If I've learned one thing visiting primarily children's parks alone, the golden rule is that a solo adult should never run. Oscar's Wacky Taxi wasn't quite ready at park opening, but it opened maybe 15-20 minutes after. And as an added surprise, they had two adorable trains running which really helped clear out the line that had formed.

IMG_2444.JPG
Usually I'm an Uber guy but I think I prefer this taxi.

It was hard not to be impressed by the coaster’s appearance. I remember being floored when I saw the construction photo showing the green support structure. That looked so wrong on a wooden coaster. It'd be like seeing David Ortiz in a Yankees jersey. Yet Oscar's Wacky Taxi managed to pull it off and it gave the ride character. Or maybe I was just distracted by those trains and Oscar's awfully awesome singing during the queue line.

I started in the back row. Prior to riding, I saw a report from the previous day saying it wasn't close to matching Wooden Warrior's airtime. So I momentarily tempered my expectations, but then the first drop reverted me back. Ejector air at Sesame Place? Yes! It's short, but it sets the course for what's to follow.

IMG_2448.JPG
I still am not used to seeing a green wooden coaster.

I'd agree the individual pops of airtime on Oscar's Wacky Taxi are, for the most part, weaker than the airtime on Wooden Warrior. However, Oscar's Wacky Taxi has impeccable pacing from start to finish. There is absolutely no breathing room. It's just one hill after another, each gives a delightful pop of air. Then two drops off the turnarounds offer surprisingly strong ejector air more in line with Wooden Warrior. And this coaster tracks perfectly smooth, which wasn't a sure bet considering how compact the layout is.

I immediately rerode it in the very front. I was treated to another barrage of non-stop airtime hills, but I preferred the back for the three moments of ejector air. I was hooked. I rode it 6 more times in a row and I would have ridden it more if it didn't breakdown. I think I may have been the first person to have ever been evacuated off of Oscar's Wacky Taxi :lol:

This is the perfect addition for Sesame Place. Now budding thrill-seekers have a legitimate coaster to ride. Now coaster enthusiasts have a valid reason to actually get the Vapor Trail credit. Ultimately I'd say it slots just behind Roar-o-saurus and ahead of Wooden Warrior, which is fantastic company. 9 out of 10

IMG_20180603_112133.jpg
The sky looks a bit ominous.

IMG_2446.JPG
There's even a tunnel and it's followed by some awesome airtime.

IMG_2449.JPG
The amount of hairtime says it all.

Since I was already there, I decided to grab a few rides on Vapor Trail. I didn't start to greyout in the helix this year (still can't believe that happened last year at freaking Sesame Place), but it was still a glass-smooth coaster that's a step above the standard roller skater or tivoli coasters. 5 out of 10

IMG_2452.JPG
It really is considerate how Sesame Place put both coasters by the gate.

IMG_2455.JPG
This coaster has more of a right to be called Helix than Liseberg's coaster.

If it were a warmer day I also would have ridden Sky Splash, their unique family raft slide with water sprayers, multiple splashdown pools on the way down, and an airtime filled double down finale. And I think a lot of guests thought the same. I saw barely anyone waiting for the water slides on an overcast 60 degree day.

IMG_2451.JPG
No one wanted to play with Rubber Ducky today.

I planned to hit El Toro for a few rides on the way back home, but turns out someone had hit my car so I had to sort that out. Fortunately they left their door wide open, still grazed against my door handle so it was clear who had done it. The damage didn't appear too bad, but I still wanted to exchange info. Guest services wasn't able to help page the guest, so I left a note on their vehicle. I was actually stunned they called me back. They did deny being in the parking lot at the time I returned to my car, but a picture is worth a thousand words and the guy then offered to pay for any paint or work I needed.

IMG_20180603_121908.jpg
My poor Volkswagen.

Sesame Place is still meant primarily for kids. I think myself and another dude wearing a Cedar Point shirt (guessing he was a coaster enthusiast too, just a hunch) were the only people without kids in the park. But if you have a SeaWorld Platinum Pass, you'd be foolish to miss out on Oscar's Wacky Taxi. Even if you don't have a season pass, it's a pricey credit, but it is a dang good coaster.

Postby boldikus » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:21 am

Great update. I gotta get over and check it out!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:34 am

^ Thanks! Looks like you finally have a reason to visit one of your home parks. I still can't give a good reason to visit Clementon except for the fact that it may someday close.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!