Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Camden Park- The awesome Big Dipper & so many WTF moments
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2018 US Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:43 pm

Magic Kingdom- Fireworks and 2 Mountains

While most of my time was spent at the SeaWorld and Fun Spot parks following the conference, I was able to sneak to join my buddy for a few hours at Disney World. I had two evenings and my choice of three of the four parks (Animal Kingdom was blacked out). The first choice was a no-brainer for me, Magic Kingdom.

We arrived just as the fireworks show began. Having been to my fair share of Disney parks, I know it's a challenge to fight through the crowds during any fireworks show or parade. That fact combined with the quality show Disney usually provides made it an easy decision to watch the show. I can never keep track of what Disney calls their fireworks show at any given point, but I believe this was the Happily Ever After version.

The show was enjoyable. Fireworks alone aren't something I'm too interested in. But when you add in impressive castle projections, different (but wonderful) renditions of Disney classics, and the obligatory Tinkerbell soaring across the sky, it elevates the fireworks into a truly special experience.

Fireworks 1.jpg
Pro- The park sure does clear out after fireworks. Con- Having to fight through that crowd to get into the park.

Once the show concluded, we battled through the asphalt jungle. We went upstream against baby strollers, children on leashes, families linking hands, and hordes of teenagers looking for that one last selfie, but eventually we reached a much more appealing jungle and we had reservations for a night cruise. We were at none other than the Jungle Cruise.

The Jungle Cruise is an infinitely better experience at night. For one, the cave/ruins scene is pitch black and pretty ominous in the dark of night. More importantly, our tour guide was able to add some more adult jokes to the experience. Before you think Disney has turned into Comedy Central, control yourselves. They kept it PG. However, there were some clever drinking jokes woven in that I've never noticed in past years...unless I was too oblivious :lol: . Those jokes combined with the expected dry humor makes this a staple in my visits to the park. 10 out of 10

We still had some time before our Splash Mountain Fastpass was ready, so we decided to visit 999 happy haunting ghosts on another classic, the Haunted Mansion. We arrived to find the longest queue I've ever seen for the Haunted Mansion at 30 minutes. Prior to Fastpass Plus, I can't recall ever seeing any noticeable wait for this attraction, but I'll take it over being guaranteed shorter waits for rides on the mountains.

It was interesting reriding the Haunted Mansion again after riding the well-done ripoff at Europa Park last fall. Honestly I hesitate to even call that one a ripoff since it was almost equal in quality. Almost. The original is still a better all-around attraction. The Pepper's Ghost effect (only remember that since we had a tour guide ahead of us and overheard as we walked down the exit) is still impressive ever. The ride slowly builds up to the impressive climax in the graveyard. It's quite the site seeing ghosts everywhere while hearing a Disney tune that manages to be both cheerful and ominous at the same time. 10 out of 10

Haunted Mansion Queue.jpg
There were a lot of details I never noticed before in the Haunted Mansion's queue.

Splash Mountain is my favorite ride at the entire resort. The recipe of large drops and classic animatronics is pretty hard to top in my opinion. It's also one of the longest rides in the world, usually clocking in around 10-11 minutes. I say usually since my buddy and I were treated to a 25 minute experience on Splash Mountain.

Our Fastpass was completely unnecessary since the queue was completely empty, a stark contrast to the 100 minutes we waited last month for the attraction. I guess 10 pm and 60 degrees has that effect on a water ride in Florida. We were optimistic we could get a double ride and still have time to make it over to Space Mountain for our final ride.

We climbed up the first lift, rounded the corner, got sprayed by the geyser adjacent to the drop, and crept up to the second lift. Business as usual. But then the lights came on and the dreaded announcement could be heard.

"Brer Fox and Brer Bear are causing some kind of commotion down stream."

A few years ago I was stopped on Dinosaur and that was quite the experience, as I was able to witness what really is in that ride building when the lights went on. Splash Mountain wasn't quite as noteworthy, but I did notice some new theming along the lift I've never noticed on my previous rides. Soon enough I heard:

"Please remain seated, motion will begin momentarily."

I turned my attention back to the lift which still didn't start. Turns out Disney has a different meaning of momentarily than me. You see, my buddy helped write the technical manual for Splash Mountain. As a result, he knew just what all the announcements during the attraction meant from an operations standpoint. He told me the key word was "immediately." Five minutes of moments later, we heard the "motion will begin immediately" and were back on our journey.

We had another 5 minute stop before Slippin' Falls, which was actually somewhat suspenseful since motion began this time after "momentarily" much to my buddy's shock. The rest of the ride was its usual goodness, punctuated by the climatic plunge. The drop is spectacular anytime of day, but I especially like it at night for the view of the castle before descending into the briar patch. 10 out of 10

Splash Mountain Breakdown.jpg
Today I learned the difference between momentarily and immediately.

It was now 10:30, so we began the journey across the park to Space Mountain. We had a little extra time, so we decided to squeeze in one extra dark ride along the way. We needed one with no queue, so that ruled Peter Pan out. We needed one that doesn't drive me insane, so that ruled It's a Small World Out. So the one we passed that fit the bill was the Little Mermaid's Under the Sea.

The ride is identical (as far as I can tell) between California and Florida, but the exterior is much more impressive at Magic Kingdom. I actually haven't seen the Little Mermaid from start to finish, but this attraction includes all the key songs and seems to tell the narrative quite well. 9 out of 10

Under the Sea.jpg
"Darling it's better, down where it's wetter, take it from me" - Monica Lewinsky

It was now 10:50, so we had just enough time to enter Space Mountain's queue. Knowing Disney, I was expecting to see a posted 90 minute wait that was actually only 20-30 minutes. The wait time was actually almost correct this night. It said 40 minutes and we waited 30 minutes.

Space Mountain is another great example why bigger and faster isn't always better. The fact that a coaster with a top speed of only 27 MPH includes 4-5 solid drops, each with some great airtime in the back, really says it all. And that's combined with almost total darkness. The only things that become visible (and this actually adds to the ride's thrill) are the supports that seem dangerously close above our heads. As great as the headchopper on Phantom's Revenge is, Space Mountain is so much scarier in that regard. 9 out of 10

Space Mountain (Night).jpg
The perfect way to cap off the night.

In just under 2.5 hours, we hit my two favorite mountains and three dark rides I missed in my February visit. Not too bad considering the queues were posted at 45-90 minutes for most attractions around midday.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Boulder Dash, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Stricker's Grove & Camden Park

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby CaptainUnknown » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:55 am

I'm never going to listen to "Under the Sea" the same way again. Damn it, Monica!
But still, great report.
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 22
Credits: 117 (23 wood/94 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Postby coasterbill » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:10 am

Great SeaWorld report. I agree with basically everything you said aside from the fact that I think the Wild Arctic ride is terrible. lol

I never thought to Jungle Cruise at night. I guess I'm missing out. We actually skipped the ride entirely on our last visit. I absolutely agree that Splash Mountain is the best ride at Magic Kingdom, though it's certainty debatable. I'd be tempted to agree that it's the best ride at the resort but Expedition Everest and Flight of Passage exist (and I've never ridden TOT... I KNOW, I KNOW). lol

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:11 am

CaptainUnknown wrote:I'm never going to listen to "Under the Sea" the same way again. Damn it, Monica!
But still, great report.

Thanks and you're welcome! The thought dawned on me last time after going to the Hall of Presidents after that ride. :lmao:
Last edited by Canobie Coaster on Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:39 pm.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Fury 325

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:47 pm

Great night shots, there! I love the last one, and as well, the gravestones, lol.
Peace and solitude. Looks good to me. :wink:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:41 pm

coasterbill wrote:Great SeaWorld report. I agree with basically everything you said aside from the fact that I think the Wild Arctic ride is terrible. lol

I never thought to Jungle Cruise at night. I guess I'm missing out. We actually skipped the ride entirely on our last visit. I absolutely agree that Splash Mountain is the best ride at Magic Kingdom, though it's certainty debatable. I'd be tempted to agree that it's the best ride at the resort but Expedition Everest and Flight of Passage exist (and I've never ridden TOT... I KNOW, I KNOW). lol

Thanks! One less person in line for Wild Arctic then...not that it ever becomes an issue with that ride. Or almost any of them at that park. :lol:

If you're a fan of dry humor (and from your post it sure seems it), the Jungle Cruise is a fantastic attraction. Flight of Passage and Tower of Terror aren't too far behind Splash Mountain for me, but the nostalgia and that ride's sheer length gives it the nod for me. I do enjoy Everest, but I would still take Space Mountain over it as far as coasters at Disney World.

Nrthwnd wrote:Great night shots, there! I love the last one, and as well, the gravestones, lol.
Peace and solitude. Looks good to me. :wink:

Thanks! I think those fake corpses have a much more peaceful afterlife than those poor souls who've had their ashes sprinkled in It's a Small World.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby tanthonyam » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:14 pm

So I have to wonder why KUMBA is still riding great and about as old as HULK, yet HULK had to be retracked??

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby CaptainUnknown » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:32 pm

^Because BGT actually knows how to take care of a B&M.
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 22
Credits: 117 (23 wood/94 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:51 pm

Did Hulk ever go down for any kind of extended maintenance like Kumba? I know both are at year-round parks, but I also think Hulk sent trains out much faster than Kumba due to the attendance demands of that park.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby Jman0477 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:29 pm

I was wondering the same thing about hulk, I know its one of the main attactions at IOA but I was there last week and the headlights were out on 2 trains and the speakers on my train sounded like the speaker box had blown and was distorted

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!