Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Knott's!- HangTime, GhostRider, and chicken.
Users viewing this topic: Whizzer Whiz Kid and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:31 pm

Great report! I love how that one photo of Medusa's train has a random red car in the middle. I wonder if they literally just took it from the other train? Lol.

Also, Medusa has never run steel wheels, but I do think they did something to the wheels when the added VR to make the ride a little more tame, and now that VR is off, the coaster still hasn't "reverted back." That's too bad it didn't quite live up to the hype for you, because its layout is basically perfect. It's high up on my bucket list of RMCs.
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

Postby bert425 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:02 pm

wow. . GREAT trip report on SFM. . never been and really want to go.

and hmmm.m . . Southwest has fairly cheap direct flights from Austin to Mexico city (and I have a Six Flags Season Pass).. hmmmmm
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu May 24, 2018 3:54 am

SFM looks super nice, great update, I really enjoyed a lot of the commentary on this one. How is the language barrier @ the park/Mexico City? Does no one speak English?

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu May 24, 2018 4:38 am

Yeah, I had also heard some changes were made when VR was put on, so looks like there's yet another reason we can all hate on VR!

I hope it reverts back to it's normal awesome RMC self soon.

^My level of Spanish is from Dora the Explorer and Handy Manny and we never had any issues. I've always said, if you take the time to learn like 20 words and phrases in the language of the place you'll be visiting you'll do so much better!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu May 24, 2018 9:44 am

ThemeParkJunkie51290 wrote:Amazing! Amazing! Amazing! =) This is one park that's in my radar for sure! Love the pictures!

Thanks! It had been on my radar for a while too. Having a coaster in the conversation for the world's best steel plus a hyper coaster will pretty much do that. I was fortunate enough to have traveled to the area for work since it accelerated my trip.

thrillseeker4552 wrote:Great report! I love how that one photo of Medusa's train has a random red car in the middle. I wonder if they literally just took it from the other train? Lol.

Also, Medusa has never run steel wheels, but I do think they did something to the wheels when the added VR to make the ride a little more tame, and now that VR is off, the coaster still hasn't "reverted back." That's too bad it didn't quite live up to the hype for you, because its layout is basically perfect. It's high up on my bucket list of RMCs.

Thanks, that's interesting that they never ran steel wheels. I just assumed that's why its speed had decreased. I sort of wish I didn't know the faster version had existed before my ride. It was frustrating seeing how ferocious the trains whipped into the turnarounds on the TPR POV only to see the train go at a considerably slower pace for my rides. Even a slower Medusa is still a fantastic coaster though.

I was so confused why each train seemingly had a random car from the other train. Glad someone else noticed it too. :lol: If you look at the second turnaround photo I posted, you can see the orange car randomly on the red train.

bert425 wrote:wow. . GREAT trip report on SFM. . never been and really want to go.

and hmmm.m . . Southwest has fairly cheap direct flights from Austin to Mexico city (and I have a Six Flags Season Pass).. hmmmmm

Thanks! I think those are all the reasons you need to book a trip. :Pr

boldikus wrote:SFM looks super nice, great update, I really enjoyed a lot of the commentary on this one. How is the language barrier @ the park/Mexico City? Does no one speak English?

Thanks! It really is a beautiful park. It's astounding this can exist in the same chain as a place like Six Flags America.

If you stay at a hotel in Mexico City whose targeted demographic is businessmen (like I did), you will likely find bilingual staff. We mostly ate at the hotel, so they just assigned us a waiter/waitress who spoke English. Beyond the hotel, English was very minimal. Unlike Europe where everyone knows English (and honestly many speak it better than Americans), in Mexico people may only know a few broken phrases in English.

I took Spanish for 5 years, so I had a strong enough of a background to survive. I can understand written Spanish well since I learned the main verbs in class and then most nouns are cognates. I just struggle when its spoken. I string together sentences and phrases, but I struggle at conversations. I can't translate what they are saying or what I want to say fast enough. My train of thought derails when I can't think of the right noun (for instance, "blood" when I was at first aid).

As for transportation, Uber made my life so easy. I barely had to say anything to the drivers since my destination was already loaded onto the driver's GPS when I entered the vehicle.

SharkTums wrote:Yeah, I had also heard some changes were made when VR was put on, so looks like there's yet another reason we can all hate on VR!

I hope it reverts back to it's normal awesome RMC self soon.

^My level of Spanish is from Dora the Explorer and Handy Manny and we never had any issues. I've always said, if you take the time to learn like 20 words and phrases in the language of the place you'll be visiting you'll do so much better!

Medusa was still a very good coaster. I just know it has run better in the past. I'm more than happy to throw VR under the bus and back up over it too. Maybe that way the headsets will all shatter into a million pieces.

I think another key thing traveling to another country is to develop a plan before you head out for the day. That way, it's less overwhelming and you know exactly what you're looking for. Also smartphones are an absolute godsend. There's an app for everything- GPS, translation, etc.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Helix
Most Recent Trip Reports- Adventure City & Knott's Berry Farm

Postby JordyC » Thu May 24, 2018 11:08 am

Excellent report as usual, and great pictures. I have to admit, Medusa is real high on my bucket list.

Also, I was wondering if that boomerang really is the world's first? I always thought that the first one to open to the public was the one at Bellewaerde. It is not like that is something to brag about, though :lol:

EDIT: Apparently, this was the first boomerang ever built in 1982, however it did not open until 1984, after the second boomerang built opened at Bellewaerde.
Quality Over Quantity

1. Hyperion - Energylandia 2. Shambhala - PortAventura 3. Taron - Phantasialand 4. Helix - Liseberg 5. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 6. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa Park 7. Lech Coaster - Legendia 8. Silver Star - Europa-Park 9. Balder - Liseberg 10. Goliath - Walibi Holland

Coasters: 219 || Parks: 40

Energylandia || Legendia || Toverland || Alton Towers || South Pier || Blackpool Pleasure Beach || Thorpe Park || Wildlands || Walibi Belgium || Parque Warner || Parque de Atracciones || Phantasialand

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu May 24, 2018 12:00 pm

^ Thanks!

Interesting little tidbit on the history of the first-to-open Boomerang. I must have seen the version from one of the two other "Mexican sources" on RCDB. :lol:
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Helix

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Condor » Thu May 24, 2018 3:39 pm

On the Medusa discussion... I'm reasonably sure it ran with steel wheels on some, but not all of the cars as early as 2015. On my visit in October of that year, both trains were running 3 different types of wheels simultaneously - 2 kinds of poly/nylon plus steel, all on different cars. And both trains were set up differently. It looked like a Frankenstein chassis and sounded like it too. It was like someone mixed a B&M roar with the sound of steel girders bending. Never heard a coaster sound like that before or since and it ran brutally fast with ejector air at every point.

And secondly, great TR and photos! I'm also a huge Superman El Ultimo Escape fan. The top of the second helix with the combined airtime+lats you mentioned is incredible.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri May 25, 2018 1:16 am

Thanks! The combined red and orange trains of Medusa tips me off that they do Frankenstein the trains.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat May 26, 2018 4:24 am

I've always been a fan of the Morgan Hypers, and I've heard that Superman is the best of the bunch. Thanks for the report.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!