IAAPA 2017 Trade Show LIVE Updates from TPR!

Day 2 coverage begins
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Re: IAAPA 2017 Trade Show LIVE Updates from TPR!

Postby PKI Jizzman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:09 pm

In past years it seemed like there was a pretty big focus on the outdoor section where there's even more room to set up displays. Not the case this year?
Chi life, live music, coasters, and traveling the world.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:27 pm

^It was the smallest, and least amount of stuff I've ever seen outside.

The only two 'large' attractions were a ripoff iFly and a Ropes Course. The next biggest thing was a happy fun slide from carnivals if that gives you an idea. Not even a bunch of cool inflatables or anything.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Thank you for all the coverage. I especially loved the interview with Alan Schilke. What an awesome job to have!

And like others have said, the presentations/unveiling of cars on Tuesday was great, but I lost interest the last couple days. I was low-key hoping for Gerstlauer to reveal the HangTime lead car, but that was a long shot. The models were very impressive though!
Credits: 172
[Top 5] - (1) Skyrush - (2) Fury 325 - (3) Intimidator 305 - (4) El Toro - (5) Kingda Ka (front row)

The Marco Polo of Roller Coasters

Postby The Angry Darren Mullins » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:48 pm

In response to what happened with Golden Horse, a couple of years ago, the authorities showed up to inform them that they were being sued for making knockoffs. Beijing Jiuhua's people immediately packed up and left upon learning this. To be honest, with Chinese parks not willing to admit westerners on Chinese made rides in China, why would Chinese companies even bother showing up?
Last edited by The Angry Darren Mullins on Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:52 pm.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:52 pm

thrillseeker4552 wrote:And like others have said, the presentations/unveiling of cars on Tuesday was great, but I lost interest the last couple days. I was low-key hoping for Gerstlauer to reveal the HangTime lead car, but that was a long shot.

Remember that, and I'm sure that there are plenty of us that do, for the most part, the IAAPA Attractions Expo is not a consumer's show. From what I've seen and read, we as an enthusiast community tend to hold the show up in high regard as our Detroit Auto Show, San Diego Comic Con, CES, or E3, because we are the ones that end up eventually experiencing these theme park innovations in the coming years. But we can't actually buy them ourselves, can we?

From my own experience (your mileage may vary), the things that happen most often at the IAAPA expos (IAE, AAE, and EAS) are business transactions and networking. Those business transactions happen at all scales, from a family entertainment center looking to add the Honolulu Hot Dog to their menu, to a destination theme park looking to invest in an Intamin giga coaster.

These companies are looking for clients to build rides for, to offer creative services to... Sometimes, representatives from a park will even go to the show for no other reason than to go, but they will leave with an order placed for a brand new type of flat ride. Some companies will choose to only exhibit at one of the three shows because they don't feel that their new innovation or service will be relevant in the other markets.

The shows are also ripe with educational opportunities for attendees. For me as an enthusiast reading Theme Park Review, I'll never see or care about any of that. But for me as a creative in the theme park industry (which I am as well), some of those sessions are worth the entire ticket price on their own.

The Angry Darren Mullins wrote:In response to what happened with Golden Horse, a couple of years ago, the authorities showed up to inform them that they were being sued for making knockoffs. Beijing Jiuhua's people immediately packed up and left upon learning this.

I attended that year. One day, they were just gone. It was freaky.
A theme park based on playgrounds? Check out this project that I've been working on!
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby ElectricUncleSam » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:52 am

A.J. wrote:
thrillseeker4552 wrote:And like others have said, the presentations/unveiling of cars on Tuesday was great, but I lost interest the last couple days. I was low-key hoping for Gerstlauer to reveal the HangTime lead car, but that was a long shot.

Remember that, and I'm sure that there are plenty of us that do, for the most part, the IAAPA Attractions Expo is not a consumer's show. From what I've seen and read, we as an enthusiast community tend to hold the show up in high regard as our Detroit Auto Show, San Diego Comic Con, CES, or E3, because we are the ones that end up eventually experiencing these theme park innovations in the coming years. But we can't actually buy them ourselves, can we?

Well, to be fair, speaking for a total car nerd's point of view, very few that attend the Detroit Auto Show are actually consumers attempting to buy the cars. Usually it's dealership owners and managers, sponsor offers, and an ass-load of execs from various car companies trying to get a glimpse of their latest competition. So in that way, I would compare IAAPA to the amusement industry version of Detroit or Geneva auto shows, but I'm placing them a bit closer in similarity. Not trying to disprove you though, I agree with you for the most part. And if I missed the point of what you were trying to make, my apologies.
Been Riding For: 4 Years
Coaster Count: 80 (63 steel, 20 wood) at 14 Parks (9 states, 1 country, 1 continent, 1 planet)
Steel: 1: 1: Skyrush 2: Millennium Force 3: Storm Chaser 4: Goliath 5: Maverick
Wood: 1: Outlaw Run 2: Voyage 3: Great American Scream Machine 4: Georgia Cyclone 5: Mystic Timbers
Add me on Coasterbuzz: MohawkWarrior

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby jtaudioacc » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:33 am

The Angry Darren Mullins wrote:In response to what happened with Golden Horse, a couple of years ago, the authorities showed up to inform them that they were being sued for making knockoffs. Beijing Jiuhua's people immediately packed up and left upon learning this. To be honest, with Chinese parks not willing to admit westerners on Chinese made rides in China, why would Chinese companies even bother showing up?

i seem to hear of at least one story like this every year at the Consumer Electronics Show.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:12 am

ElectricUncleSam wrote:Well, to be fair, speaking for a total car nerd's point of view, very few that attend the Detroit Auto Show are actually consumers attempting to buy the cars. Usually it's dealership owners and managers, sponsor offers, and an ass-load of execs from various car companies trying to get a glimpse of their latest competition.

That's totally fair, you're cool! From my own experience, I've met a lot of people that have gone to auto shows when they're considering buying a new vehicle so they weren't pressured into buying anything, and so they could just sit inside / play with all the features as much as they wanted. I would still consider an auto show (though maybe a state-specific show as opposed to the major national ones) as a more consumer-friendly event than the IAAPA expos. It even only costs $15 for someone to be admitted to the Los Angeles show this year.
A theme park based on playgrounds? Check out this project that I've been working on!
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby ajfelice » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:01 pm

gerstlaueringvar wrote:Agreed, this year’s IAAPA is really slow. Everything’s announced online anyway.

I spent the week working the show, and I was pleasantly surprised how busy it was Tuesday through about lunchtime Thursday. According to CEO Paul Noland, this year's show had record attendance easily surpassing the 35,000+ attendees in 2016, despite his worry that a wide under-performance of parks across the country would stagnate or reduce attendance. Exhibit space was also sold out, despite the less eye-catching appearance of the outdoor exhibits compared to prior years.

The show is very front-loaded with activities and events. Monday is filled with education seminars with excellent speakers that go largely unnoticed by many. Tuesday and Wednesday are huge with the festivities of kicking off the opening of the show floor and various press events. By Thursday afternoon most visits with exhibitors have taken place and big contracts have been signed. The show floor is typically drastically less busy on Thursday and Friday. However, the introduction of the day pass has helped Friday out a little bit over the past couple years with many university groups and young professionals taking the chance to explore and network.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:45 am

Looks like a solid year at IAAPA with a few neat ride announcements (especially the return of the Steeplechase)! Thanks for all of the great updates this year! =)
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!