TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Suzuka Circuit Announces Duel GP.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to think of this as something Coastery. While it may not have the traditional drops and hills, this looks , coastery, enough for me.

No no, I might not have been clear but this isn't an 'is it a credit' discussion haha. A couple of members weren't sure on the method of propulsion that's all.

So many people are all "is this a coaster or not?" because you can see the track, but do people not realize this is *EXACTLY* what Test Track, Radiator Springs Racer, and Journey to the Center of the Earth looks like if you pulled up the floor? There is coaster track underneath it.

That is super interesting. The external portion of test track does not seem very deep and the exposed slot is so narrow, I had always thought it was just a powered rail underneath with the actual tires on the cars making contact. If I recall the tires had to be replaced almost weekly. I didn't realize there was coaster-type track under as well.

The Suzuka track seems more like a traditional coaster - if not simply because of how much is exposed to the eye.

I agree with the counting credit things but I still think it is super fun to nerd out about different ride systems and the underlying tech.

So many people are all "is this a coaster or not?" because you can see the track, but do people not realize this is *EXACTLY* what Test Track, Radiator Springs Racer, and Journey to the Center of the Earth looks like if you pulled up the floor? There is coaster track underneath it. It's just so funny to me how people get all freaked out over the coaster debate over visuals that they can see, but don't even think to bring it up over rides that you can't see how it works. Just a thought...

thumb_battle3_1.jpg

This is why I don't count coasters anymore, because, really, who cares? Why not just focus on if it's fun or not instead of having to obsessively classify something? Although I guess for some of you reading this post, you now have three new "coasters" you can add to your list that you may not have realized had "roller coaster track" before!

For me it really wasn't about classification, but rather how the ride works mechanically. I didn't know counting credits was still a thing

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to be honest. This looks 1) not fun and 2) a capacity nightmare. I really enjoyed this park and the construction looked promising but seeing the video...yikes.

PS - I fully expect to see a one side version of this installed in FujiQ next!

I'm going to be honest. This looks 1) not fun and 2) a capacity nightmare. I really enjoyed this park and the construction looked promising but seeing the video...yikes.

Wow. Yeah. Agreed. At one point I was thinking we should maybe go here in June, but now after seeing that video, maybe not so much.

PS - I fully expect to see a one side version of this installed in FujiQ next!

The course will follow their rapids ride, which seats only two people per each four-person raft.

I thought it looked like a pretty good time from the first video. Then I watched the second and realized...yep, just the editing.

I was thinking the same thing. The first video I was like "D@MN! That looks kind of fun!" The second video I was like "Yeah, I was wrong. That looks pretty boring."

Well, at least it gives smaller kidos, and families something to enjoy!

I'm trying to think more positively today...how about this...what if this is a prototype for the Mario Kart ride at Universal? I can't be the only one who sees the karts spin out and think about that they must have just hit a banana peel right!?!? Maybe like a four across version, that goes a lot faster, and has theming...

I'm trying here!!!

Yeah, the video definitely isn't doing the ride's original appeal any favors... Here's hoping like Elissa said that this is more a proof of concept from the manufacturer and the ride system will be better utilized in a future installation.

I never expected it to be a thrilling ride, so I'm kinda ok with it. Still better than...

I'm trying to think more positively today...how about this...what if this is a prototype for the Mario Kart ride at Universal? I can't be the only one who sees the karts spin out and think about that they must have just hit a banana peel right!?!? Maybe like a four across version, that goes a lot faster, and has theming...

I'm trying here!!!

Theme Park University who posted the video has a word about that:

"it certainly could be a perfect ride system for a Mario Kart attraction, right? Sadly – this isn’t Universal’s Mario Kart Ride System. Whomp whomp indeed. Don’t get me wrong, the new Mario Kart attraction will be cool. The ride system just won’t be *this* particular version used at Suzuka Circuit in Japan. What will it be? I can’t give that away just yet. I promise I’ll let the cat out of the bag as soon as I get the green light."

Like others, I was hopeful we'd see something faster. This looks like a slightly faster and spinning version of your garden variety antique car ride. It's a shame the height requirement is so high because this looks like an awesome family ride.