Suzuka Circuit Announces Duel GP.

The latest addition to the "is it a coaster" debate.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: Suzuka Circuit Announces Duel GP.

Postby ElvisLuv » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:27 pm

KarlaKoaster wrote:Holy skidmarks, Batman, look at this image from Suzuka Circuit via Cupcakes and Coasters... this looks like it will be a lot of fun :br It appears to drift around corners (and is definitely powered as you thought, Noobitzer)

Could you imagine what a proper Fast and Furious ride based on this could be.

Or just a Ferrari World version.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:47 pm

Such a unique project!! I LOVE the drifting around the corners.

Not going to lie though... It really makes me think of one of these:

:lol: :lol:
Bigger is not always better.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Noobitizer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:57 pm

KarlaKoaster wrote:Holy skidmarks, Batman, look at this image from Suzuka Circuit via Cupcakes and Coasters... this looks like it will be a lot of fun :br It appears to drift around corners (and is definitely powered as you thought, Noobitzer)

And in that photo you can clearly see the electrical pick ups for the ride vehicles. Great find. Someone find a video of this thing in action!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:38 pm

So many people are all "is this a coaster or not?" because you can see the track, but do people not realize this is *EXACTLY* what Test Track, Radiator Springs Racer, and Journey to the Center of the Earth looks like if you pulled up the floor? There is coaster track underneath it. It's just so funny to me how people get all freaked out over the coaster debate over visuals that they can see, but don't even think to bring it up over rides that you can't see how it works. Just a thought...

This is why I don't count coasters anymore, because, really, who cares? Why not just focus on if it's fun or not instead of having to obsessively classify something? Although I guess for some of you reading this post, you now have three new "coasters" you can add to your list that you may not have realized had "roller coaster track" before! :Pr
Last edited by robbalvey on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:41 pm.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby KarlaKoaster » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:01 pm

Yep I agree! Full disclosure: I only mentioned it was powered as I noticed a couple of members discussing whether it was propelled by a mini launch or was more like a powered coaster rather than it being an 'is it a credit' thing.

I don't count coasters either as it's basically admin to me, and even I can't decide for myself what counts as a credit or not so there is no way I could ever wade into an 'is it a coaster' argument as it's an argument about black and white when there are thousands of colours of grey.

See also: "What is an inversion?"

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby djcoastermark » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:06 pm

I like to think of this as something Coastery. While it may not have the traditional drops and hills, this looks , coastery, enough for me. I like big drops, big hills and turns, and all that other stuff, but as long as it's fun,who really cares?

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby KarlaKoaster » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:27 pm

djcoastermark wrote:I like to think of this as something Coastery. While it may not have the traditional drops and hills, this looks , coastery, enough for me.

No no, I might not have been clear but this isn't an 'is it a credit' discussion haha. A couple of members weren't sure on the method of propulsion that's all.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby viking86 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:50 am

Noobitizer wrote:Someone find a video of this thing in action!

I second that! Based on the drifting picture it looks like a super-fun ride, and it makes me very curious to see what kind of speed it has around the course.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby lord denning » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:14 am

robbalvey wrote:So many people are all "is this a coaster or not?" because you can see the track, but do people not realize this is *EXACTLY* what Test Track, Radiator Springs Racer, and Journey to the Center of the Earth looks like if you pulled up the floor? There is coaster track underneath it.

That is super interesting. The external portion of test track does not seem very deep and the exposed slot is so narrow, I had always thought it was just a powered rail underneath with the actual tires on the cars making contact. If I recall the tires had to be replaced almost weekly. I didn't realize there was coaster-type track under as well.

The Suzuka track seems more like a traditional coaster - if not simply because of how much is exposed to the eye.

I agree with the counting credit things but I still think it is super fun to nerd out about different ride systems and the underlying tech.
Using Tapatalk

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Noobitizer » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:58 am

robbalvey wrote:So many people are all "is this a coaster or not?" because you can see the track, but do people not realize this is *EXACTLY* what Test Track, Radiator Springs Racer, and Journey to the Center of the Earth looks like if you pulled up the floor? There is coaster track underneath it. It's just so funny to me how people get all freaked out over the coaster debate over visuals that they can see, but don't even think to bring it up over rides that you can't see how it works. Just a thought...

This is why I don't count coasters anymore, because, really, who cares? Why not just focus on if it's fun or not instead of having to obsessively classify something? Although I guess for some of you reading this post, you now have three new "coasters" you can add to your list that you may not have realized had "roller coaster track" before! :Pr

For me it really wasn't about classification, but rather how the ride works mechanically. I didn't know counting credits was still a thing :lmao:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!