Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2017 Foreign Adventures

A wild day at Chessington
Users viewing this topic: Canobie Coaster, coasterbill, Mike240SX and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2017 Foreign Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:31 am

Thanks! Yeah the operations at all the Scandinavian parks were top notch.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:26 am

Great photos and storytelling! Glad you made it around without any issues with trains/busses. Awesome job. This trip is amazing! How much were you spending on lodging on average/overall?
Chi life, live music, coasters, and traveling the world.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Postby coasterbill » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:32 am

Great report! As I mentioned earlier we're definitely planning to hit Liseberg in the next few years so it was really cool reading through this. The park already looks amazing and the dive machine should make it even better.

Postby viking86 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:53 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Thanks! Yeah the operations at all the Scandinavian parks were top notch.

Unfortunately that cannot be said about all of Scandinavia *cough*Tusenfryd*cough*. But the Danish and Swedish parks definitely seems to be handling this very well.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:54 am

PKI Jizzman wrote:Great photos and storytelling! Glad you made it around without any issues with trains/busses. Awesome job. This trip is amazing! How much were you spending on lodging on average/overall?

Thanks!

That's a tricky question since some of the places like Alton Towers and PortAventura included tickets with the room. But I ultimately spent about $100 per night on lodging. I probably could have spent less if I chose to stay in hostels, but I preferred standard hotels. I also was placing an emphasis on having a 24 hour front desk and close proximity to train stations/airports since I had a lot of early flights/trains.

Big Blue Hotel (Blackpool)- If you see the other hotels in Blackpool, you'll want to stay here.
Alton's Enchanted Village- Cute lodge with 2 days at the park included.
Bloc Hotel Gatwick- Located in the airport. Unique room with everything controlled by touch screen.
PortAventura Hotel Carribe- Extremely nice resort and it included 2 days at the park.
Expo Hotel Barcelona- Decent hotel. Small room but near the Saints train station.
Best Western & Stockholm- Small but a great location in the heart of Stockholm.
Gothia Towers- Extremely nice, wonderful staff, across from Liseberg.

coasterbill wrote:Great report! As I mentioned earlier we're definitely planning to hit Liseberg in the next few years so it was really cool reading through this. The park already looks amazing and the dive machine should make it even better.

Thanks! I was bummed to have missed out on Kanonen, but the dive machine should be another great coaster in their lineup.

viking86 wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:Thanks! Yeah the operations at all the Scandinavian parks were top notch.

Unfortunately that cannot be said about all of Scandinavia *cough*Tusenfryd*cough*. But the Danish and Swedish parks definitely seems to be handling this very well.

Tusenfryd is a park I hope to make it to someday for Speed Monster and Thundercoaster, so they have time to improve their operations before then. ;)
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:53 am

Liseberg is a great park--all it lacks is a good dark ride (but it does have Hotel Gasten). Balder is still my favorite wooden coaster, but I have yet to ride Helix.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:10 am

I thought Hotel Gasten filled the dark ride niche well. I'd love to see them get a shooting dark ride sometime in the future.

Postby viking86 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:49 am

A shooting dark ride would fit perfectly into Lisebergs lineup. I never thought about it before, but I definitely like that idea. I hope that is next on the agenda after the dive machine. :)

Canobie Coaster wrote:Tusenfryd is a park I hope to make it to someday for Speed Monster and Thundercoaster, so they have time to improve their operations before then. ;)

I wouldn't hold my breath, my visits in 2015 and 2016 were both terrible. One train operation on Thundercoaster with 60-90 minutes line seems to be standard. Speedmonster has always been an exception though, it has always been running two trains during my visits with about 20 minute line.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:01 am

^ I was warned about bad operations before going to Thorpe and didn't have a problem there. Yes lines were long, but outside of Colossus, everything seemed to be running at max capacity. It seemed to be more due to crowds than bad ops/slow dispatches. Granted for every park that breaks free of the bad operations label, there's a Six Flags America.

Arrow rox my sox!

Postby zburns999 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:22 pm

These sky rollers can be one of the most intense flat rides out there, as long as you channel your inner Richard Simmons. If you rock the paddles in perfect, opposing unison, making sure the motion in one direction is complete before reversing the paddles, you will eventually get that first inversion. From there, all hell breaks loose.

I was super pumped about riding the one at Canada's wonderland this past summer and, while it was an immensely fun ride, I couldn't get the thing to flip for the life of me. I did exactly as your instructions suggest (I even watched a few YouTube vids beforehand to try to get the gist of the motions and whatnot), but the best I ever got was a near-180 degree half-rotation, which made for some great hang-time, but was hardly the catalyst to the all-out inversion assault that I hoped I'd be experiencing. Here's the thing: I was riding in an inside seat. Just about every time I've seen footage of someone spinning out of control, it's in an outside seat. Does anybody know if it's even possible to flip the inside seats? I only had time for one crack at it, but to be honest, I can't imagine I could have worked the wings any better than I did.

Great tr, by the way. Liseberg is a bucket list park for me. And I greatly appreciate knowing that there are other cheap-motel-enthusiasts out there. I'm not alone.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!