Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2017 Foreign Adventures

Culture and the world's craziest mountain coaster!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2017 Foreign Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Philrad71 wrote:Another great report, Michael!

I am still very happy that we rented a car one day out of Munich and made the drive to Europa. Yeah, it was a long day, but sooooo worth it - my only wish is that we would have had as much time to explore as you guys did!

We got to the park around noon and if I recall correctly, only got about five or six hours in before closing. But it was still enough time to hit up most of the major rides as well as just soak in the atmosphere while sipping on a few cold German beers. Everything that you said about amazing ride operations, food, theming, selection...all true!

The one thing that my Michael pointed out on Silver Star was that no one was checking the clam-shell restraints. That was when I told him that this wasn't the USA and people here actually realize that they're supposed to quickly go into their seats and pull down their restraint - dispatching was a breeze because of this!

Thanks! It's a shame you didn't have more time, but there's incentive to go back! Not that you really needed it though. The park could go without adding anything for 10 years (they won't) and I'd still want to return anyway.

Europa was checking the restraints on everything, but I had a similar experience at Liseberg on Balder and many of the rides at Oktoberfest. It's definitely culture shock coming from the US.

alejon wrote:Lovely report from some parks I visit regularly, some of my favourites, and some I really want to visit in the future! Can't wait for the day I'm able to get back to Europa Park.

Just one thing.

Europa didn’t rip off the Matterhorn ride, but of course they had to name something after the famous Swedish mountain.

You mean the Swiss mountain, right? ;)

Thanks! Whoops. :Pr I kept telling myself not to right Sweden by mistake so of course I wrote Sweden. I'm aware of the Swiss Alps. Just a brain fart.

SharkTums wrote:
Nrthwnd wrote::lol: That is one very angry cob of corn!

Many of us found all of the angry corns (there were a ton of them!) to be the best of the very amazing and expansive halloween decorations.

That's probably my favorite Halloween decoration ever after Skeleboner at PortAventura.

Skeleboner (Side).jpg
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:55 am

SharkTums wrote:

Many of us found all of the angry corns (there were a ton of them!) to be the best of the very amazing and expansive halloween decorations.

Angry Corn has a chance at unseating pumpkins as the major symbol of Halloween.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:09 am

Not if David Pumpkins has anything to say about it.

Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:09 pm

I totally enjoyed every word and every picture in your Theme Report! Thanks for taking the time to be so thorough (and amusing!) Incredible park in every way.
(Plus I must remember the Angry Corns if I ever find myself needing a Halloween costume. Such droll little cobs!) :lmao: :devil:

Alice

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Taylor Finn » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Ditto to everyone's comments so far. It was neat to read up about a significant number of the major attractions and also the quirky ones that make Europa special.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:07 pm

ObeyTheShihTzu! wrote:I totally enjoyed every word and every picture in your Theme Report! Thanks for taking the time to be so thorough (and amusing!) Incredible park in every way.
(Plus I must remember the Angry Corns if I ever find myself needing a Halloween costume. Such droll little cobs!) :lmao: :devil:

Alice

Thanks! The lighting didn't make a lot of the pictures easy, but I was able to weed out the bad ones.

Taylor Finn wrote:Ditto to everyone's comments so far. It was neat to read up about a significant number of the major attractions and also the quirky ones that make Europa special.

Thanks! I knew of all the big rides at Europa, but I had no clue all the quirky dark rides they had. It was definitely cool finding a new ride around every corner.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:12 pm

cfc wrote:
SharkTums wrote:

Angry Corn has a chance at unseating pumpkins as the major symbol of Halloween.

Angry Corn + David S.Pumpkins = A omgWINWINomg combination! :b :br
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Holiday Park

Most mega coasters are found at the parks you’d expect. Usually they’re at big corporate parks like Six Flags, Cedar Fair, SeaWorld, etc along with multiple other coasters. Holiday Park is an odd duck. It only has two coasters, but one of them just happens to be arguably the greatest coaster on the planet in Expedition GeForce.

We pulled into the parking lot on Friday evening. The park was closed. Were we reliving the ill-fated adventure of the Griswolds trip to Walley World? Would we have to kidnap a German version of John Candy and hold him at fake gunpoint to ride everything? It would have made a good story, but TPR had us covered.

The park was closed to the public, but we had a private ERT session on the park’s two coasters. The plan of attack was to get everyone on Sky Scream once and then spend the rest of the time on GeForce. Sky Scream was in the very back of the park. While it was a bit of a walk, I didn’t mind since it gave me an opportunity to scope out the rest of the park.

The park’s walkways were covered by a dense canopy of trees. The park reminded me of a larger version of Bayern Park in terms of the overall feel. Along the way we passed some pretty solid looking non-coasters such as the double drop flume, sky roller, and Intamin drop tower. I’ll have those to look forward to in an inevitable return visit down the road.

IMG_20170929_173624.jpg
This park is as crowded as Clementon. Except here the park was closed to the public.

IMG_20170929_174732.jpg
It's rare I'll just walk by a sky roller. But this was a rare circumstance.

I’ve ridden two other Sky Rocket IIs (Superman and Phobia), so from a ride perspective I knew what to expect. What I wasn’t expecting was the queue line which was essentially a haunt. There were several sudden jump scares along the way. I was shocked to find out the queue wasn’t just a seasonal thing either; it’s like that year-round which is extremely cool. I could very well seeing the queue scare more people than the ride itself.

The first launch is just ok, but the backwards and final forwards launch are pretty strong. My favorite part of the ride is what happens at the top of the tower though. The ascent and descent both provide powerful ejector air, and that super slow inline twist gives some terrifying lap-bar only hang-time.

Really my only issue with these Sky Rocket IIs is the shin guards. Rather than conforming around the shin like those on RMCs, these shin guards dig directly into you. Thankfully the ride is so short it doesn’t become a major problem. As I’ve said before, this is a coaster model I definitely don’t mind seeing cloned. 8 out of 10

IMG_20170929_174800.jpg
I love how they re-purposed their old Vekoma. It looks much better as a lawn ornament.

IMG_20170929_174841.jpg
Parks can keep cloning this coaster and I'll keep riding it. It's a great ride!

IMG_20170929_175806.jpg
The most underrated part about this one was that haunt-esque queue line.

After we all got our ride on Sky Scream, we made our way to the legendary Expedition GeForce. This coaster has placed first several times on Mitch Hawker’s former steel coaster poll and I do not know a single enthusiast that has been disappointed by the coaster.

Prior to riding, Robb gave us a disclaimer that the ride hadn’t run in a few days. As a result, he cautioned it may run a bit slow initially. That’s why we were more than willing to help out by cycling the daylight out of the ride. With SFNE’s Superman at my home park, I’ve seen just how quickly these Intamin mega coasters can warm up, so I wasn’t too worried.

I was excited to see the simplistic T-bar restraints on Expedition GeForce for a change. I love them on Millennium Force and loved them on Superman until the Bizarro transformation transformed them into beefy U-bars. These lap bars are insanely comfortable and leave plenty of room for air-time. And saying there was a lot of airtime was an understatement.

I wouldn’t quite say the airtime was as strong as Skyrush, but it was darn close and far more comfortable. I’d say it was on par with El Toro’s camelbacks and SFNE’s Superman’s 4th hill. It’s common to have sustained floater air, but it’s extremely rare to have sustained ejector airtime like this and Expedition GeForce has that on basically every single hill.

But before those hills is the insanely steep, twisting first drop. I thought the twisting first drop on Blackpool’s Big One was pretty intense, but Expedition GeForce put that drop to shame. While the former failed to deliver any air (it just had some insane laterals), Expedition GeForce provides even stronger laterals along with a strong pop of ejector air. I can’t think of a more intense first drop. I was actually pretty nervous before each ride to throw my hands up because of how ferocious those laterals were while my butt was completely off the seat.

One of the other amazing aspects of Expedition GeForce is the ride’s setting. As I mentioned earlier, Holiday Park is heavily wooded. While Nitro and Diamondback pass through the woods, the trees never actually come too close to the track. On Expedition GeForce, I think the warning to keep your hands inside the train absolutely needs to be heeded.

I could go on all-day singing the rides praises, but another aspect I liked were the overbanks. Usually overbanks are throwaway elements and I just want to get to the next airtime hill. While the overbank hills weren’t as impressive as the coaster’s airtime hills (few things on any coaster are), they had a whole lot more punch to them than most other coasters.

In total, I believe we got 12 rides on this monster. But none was more memorable than the last. I was seated in the very back, a seat I hadn’t gotten to experience yet. I had been near the back, but not in the money seat. As we began the ascent up the cable lift, we heard a bang. Don’t tell me the Intamin cable did what I think it did… A few seconds later, we slid backwards into the station and came to a grinding halt.

I had a feeling we weren’t going to get ride number 12, but a few minutes later we started crawling up the lift. Ok crawling is an exaggeration. A crawling baby would have sped fast us. We climbed the lift in maintenance mode, so it took almost 7 minutes to reach the top! I’m not kidding, just watch Robb’s video. But the super slow lift built even more anticipation for this world-class coaster. It also gave us time to appreciate a stunning sunset off in the distance.

Finally we crested the lift hill and the ride was even more impressive in the back. Sure it didn’t have the rush of wind from the front seat, but the airtime was simply relentless. Expedition GeForce was determined to pass Iron Rattler and Fury 325 in my rankings, and it absolutely did. The impeccable pacing, powerful airtime, and perfect setting is something no other steel coaster can match. The whole ride takes your breath away and doesn’t give you a moment to get it back. 10 out of 10

IMG_20170929_180454.jpg
The myth, the legend, my new number one coaster, Expedition GeForce!

IMG_20170929_192030.jpg
The first drop is as insane as it looks.

IMG_20170929_180317.jpg
To say the ride had a lot of airtime is an understatement. It had an ungodly amount.

IMG_20170929_180327.jpg
Note how close the ride is to all those trees.

IMG_20170929_191720.jpg
My good friend the Intamin cable gave us a surprise on our last ride.

IMG_20170929_192238.jpg
The lone photo I have with a train. After our final rides, they needed to cycle the train one last time.

After all the coaster rides, the park also provided us dinner. We had the choice of spaghetti or schnitzel. I hadn’t eaten schnitzel yet so I felt obligated to try the German dish, but my American instincts kicked in and I went with the familiar pasta. It was good so I didn’t regret my choice one bit.

We probably spent a total of 2.5 hour in the park, but the visit was perfect. Yes we spent a majority of the time on GeForce and didn’t get to ride much else in the park, but I can’t complain about riding my new number one coaster that many times in a row. Holiday Park alone is worth visiting for GeForce, but they appeared to have quite a bit else to offer outside of that. Thanks again to Holiday Park for hosting TPR!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:14 pm

So this is where I will make an observation about your love of Ge Force AFTER riding Silver Star which you also loved...

On all previous TPR/RobbElissa/Enthusiast Tours you would go to Holiday Park and THEN Europa. No one ever was as impressed with Silver Star after riding Ge Force the day before. I do wonder if we had gone the 'normal' direction if you wouldn't have been as happy with Silver Star.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:25 pm

I think I would have still enjoyed Silver Star. It would have been like going from El Toro to Nitro at Great Adventure. At this point I basically know what I'm getting with a B&M hyper.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!