Golden Ticket Awards 2017

Europa Park best park, El Toro & Fury 325 best coasters
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Love Donkeys!

Re: Golden Ticket Awards 2017

Postby WOF_Fan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:01 am

millertpr wrote:
robbalvey wrote:
A.J. wrote:Perhaps due to a slight bias toward coasters, Mystic Timbers handily beat Flight of Passage for best new ride.

I'll bet if you asked most of the people who voted in the Golden Tickets they wouldn't even know what Flight of Passage is. They probably would think it's some B&M Wing Rider at a Happy Valley park. We really need a new "Mitch Hawker" style poll so we don't have to rely on a "best of" list that is a complete fucking joke.

I rode both this summer and Mystic Timbers is a much better ride.

Seriously? I rode both this year as well. Flight of Passage was amazing! Definitely deserved best new ride over a GCI wooden coaster that is similar to several others. I mean, Mystic Timbers is great, but nothing special and not best new ride of the year.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:47 am

WOF_Fan wrote:
millertpr wrote:
robbalvey wrote:
A.J. wrote:Perhaps due to a slight bias toward coasters, Mystic Timbers handily beat Flight of Passage for best new ride.

I'll bet if you asked most of the people who voted in the Golden Tickets they wouldn't even know what Flight of Passage is. They probably would think it's some B&M Wing Rider at a Happy Valley park. We really need a new "Mitch Hawker" style poll so we don't have to rely on a "best of" list that is a complete fucking joke.

I rode both this summer and Mystic Timbers is a much better ride.

Seriously? I rode both this year as well. Flight of Passage was amazing! Definitely deserved best new ride over a GCI wooden coaster that is similar to several others. I mean, Mystic Timbers is great, but nothing special and not best new ride of the year.

I think it's as someone already said, how are they evaluating what should be considered for best ride? As AJ said, they gave priority to coasters. Flight of Passage is mind-blowing new technology and thrill but by no means a roller coaster. Mystic Timbers was a great classic-style wooden coaster but nothing groundbreaking. For roller coasters (at least in the States), MT was a highlight this year. The two just can't be compared.

I liked Robb's breakdown of this. It would honestly be a no contest if Disney parks were truly considered for every award. No one else would have a chance. I don't know anyone who would honestly argue that Kings Island is a better place to bring their young kids than Disney World and Fantasyland, but when you compare Kings Island to Six Flags parks or even others in the chain, their kids area does stand out.

Disney is no place for crazy thrilling coasters and airtime machines. When you look at places that have crazy roller coasters and have the award in question, it makes sense that Dollywood got best shows (where else can you ride an RMC and see a great show in the same day?) and Knoebel's got best food (Epcot is great but it doesn't have a Phoenix).
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Living_Dead » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:07 am

always found this kinda stupid. It numbs my brain

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:44 pm

millertpr wrote:I rode both this summer and Mystic Timbers is a much better ride.

Leave.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:48 pm

WOF_Fan wrote:
millertpr wrote:I rode both this summer and Mystic Timbers is a much better ride.

Exactly my point. While someone may prefer a coaster to a simulator (I know I do) you cannot deny that Flight of Passage is groundbreaking and does something that no other simulator does. It has not been since Spider-Man originally opened that I heard this much talk over a screen based ride.

But the award went to a GCI coaster that is similar to many other GCI coasters. Makes sense.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked Mystic Timbers, but I'm not sure it was THAT much different from the first GCI I rode 21 years ago.

I've *NEVER* been on anything quite like Flight of Passage before.

We just need to have our own awards.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:50 pm

Living_Dead wrote:always found this kinda stupid. It numbs my brain

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:35 pm

robbalvey wrote:We just need to have our own awards.

DO IT.

:nina: :nina: :nina:

Seriously you guys are the premier theme park review site on the internet. I hadn't thought of it until your post, but why aren't there annual TPR awards?
Look for the humor in anything and you will find it.
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman: The Ride - Intimidator 305 -
Wicked Cyclone - Phantoms Revenge - Millennium Force - Storm Runner - Nitro

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby DavidB » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:42 pm

We'd all be happy to vote. I'm sure some of us numerous times... :?r There has to be a good polling site to keep the amount of work manageable.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:28 pm

boldikus wrote:
robbalvey wrote:We just need to have our own awards.

DO IT.

:nina: :nina: :nina:

Seriously you guys are the premier theme park review site on the internet. I hadn't thought of it until your post, but why aren't there annual TPR awards?

I'd love to see it happen too!

I'd love it if even just the mods got together and gave some "awards" for the year. Even better if they're "less than ideal" awards.

How about:

"Most disappointing ride of 2017"
"Worst theme park food"
"Worst place to bring children"
"Dirtiest theme park of the year"
"Stupidest shows"
"Most hateful employees"

Spoiler alert: Magic Mountain takes the most awards
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:32 pm

robbalvey wrote:...We just need to have our own awards.

:nina: :elissa2: :airtime: :airtimer: :station:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!