Photo TR: Stricker's Grove, Labor Day 2017

Isolated Ohio park only open a few times a year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Re: Photo TR: Stricker's Grove, Labor Day 2017

Postby CoasterRench » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:24 am

Nice report, glad you had a good time. Stricker's Grove was always a good visit for me when I lived over on that side of town. Now that I have moved a little further away, it's hard to pack up the kids and make the trip, maybe sometime soon though.

CaptainUnknown wrote:What was wrong with the round-up? I've always enjoyed that style of ride and am upset that few parks still have them.

I am curious as to this as well, I have rode a number of these whenever I get the chance, never have experienced a bad ride on them. I did ride the one at Stricker's, although it was a couple of years ago, and I don't remember it being a bad ride.

I am a little disappointed in myself that I didn't ride the Kiddie-Whip, guess I assumed that they wouldn't let me ride due to height requirements. Maybe, that will help convince me to make a trip again next year.

Thanks for sharing.
Steel: 91 Wood: 28 Total: 119

Top Five
5. Diamondback, 4. Banshee, 3. Hollywood, Rip, Ride, Rockit, 2. Incredible Hulk, 1. Millennium Force

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby John Peck » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:19 am

The Flyers used to move faster, but they moved them next to the Tornado and slowed them down.

Seems like they removed a lot of trees near the carousel. I haven't been there in 13 years, I should go back.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:34 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys!
CoasterRench wrote:
CaptainUnknown wrote:What was wrong with the round-up? I've always enjoyed that style of ride and am upset that few parks still have them.

I am curious as to this as well, I have rode a number of these whenever I get the chance, never have experienced a bad ride on them. I did ride the one at Stricker's, although it was a couple of years ago, and I don't remember it being a bad ride.

I am a little disappointed in myself that I didn't ride the Kiddie-Whip, guess I assumed that they wouldn't let me ride due to height requirements. Maybe, that will help convince me to make a trip again next year.

Thanks for sharing.

I've never been a huge fan of those types of rides. The extreme centrifugal G-forces are just uncomfortable to me and hurt my head. They also sort of freak me out, especially after I recently watched a video where one of them collapsed (probably a Chinese knock-off, but still enough to be unnerving). I'm sure the ride itself was fine, just not my cuppa tea.

The kiddie whip was fun! The lap bars came down real low and we had to turn our legs to even get them to latch. I'm sure for a person with really long legs it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:41 am

Love your reports and as usual this one was great!
Look for the humor in anything and you will find it.
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman: The Ride - Intimidator 305 -
Wicked Cyclone - Phantoms Revenge - Millennium Force - Storm Runner - Nitro

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby djcoastermark » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:53 pm

I wish I lived closer to enjoy their next public day, Oct 8. It's only 12.50 to get in and it includes free parking, free soft drinks ,cotton candy, popcorn and sno cones. Wow. Plus they sell adult beverages too.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks for the report...looks like a fun, clean little park!

And they had beer, so that automatically makes it good. ;)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:52 am

This place looks really great! I know enthusiasts love it, but I always figured it was the "rare credit" thing. Looks like it's actually a pretty fun place!
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby coasterer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:57 am

Thanks for the report! Great to hear you had a good time. My wife and I lucked out and happened to be making the drive from Atlanta to Chicago the day they were open in mid-August, so we made the detour. I had really been looking forward to this park, but the place was slammed and some of the clientele was less than pleasant. It ended up being an in-and-out-and-never-again place for us, but it's great to hear another perspective!
Favorites: Voyage, T-Express, Goliath (WW), Medusa Steel Coaster, Boulder Dash, Katun, I 305, El Toro, Storm Runner, Mega-lite, Shivering Timbers, Alpengeist, Millennium Force, Thunderhead, Nemesis, Skyrush, Prowler, Atlantis Adventure, Thundercoaster, Maverick, Jungle Storm, Cornball Express, Behemoth,

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:50 am

I spent a fun day with TPR at Stricker's Grove a few years ago. It's a very nice family park, and the wooden coasters were better than I'd expected.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby JT325 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:12 am

The "wtf is this" ride is a classic "Bubble Bounce"! That used to be a standard park ride years ago, and this one looks to be in tip-top shape! Speaking of tip-top, I think there is a similar classic flat called "Tip-Top." Perhaps I have them reversed... I see others have chimed in on this.

This is going to be a flashback for a few of us on here: there was a Bubble Bounce (the late great Whalom Park, Lunenburg, Mass) in The Cars' video "Touch and Go." Classic stuff!

I really need to put this park on my calendar for next year. I'm the biggest sucker I know for classic coasters (even the small ones!) and classic rides. Great trip review and pictures, thank you!
#CPFrontierLift2019

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!