larrygator's 2017 Coaster Affirmation Tour

Donley's Wild West Town
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

larrygator's 2017 Coaster Affirmation Tour

Postby larrygator » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:36 pm

I've been debating whether or not to do a Photo TR this year. I'm glad to see so many others writing them but that also made me feel it was not as vital for me to write one. I went on four small trips with few new parks, to re-evaluate a lot of coasters that I have not ridden in a few years, get closer to my goal of riding all the wooden coasters in North America and also hit up some of the major installations from the past few years.

The four trips were as follows:
April: Kings Dominion, Carowinds and Dollywood
July 17-22: Cedar Point, Kings Island, Holiday World, Kentucky Kingdom, Beech Bend, Dollywood, Camden Park
July 24-30: Bay Beach, Mt. Olympus, Six Flags Great America, Adventureland, Indiana Beach, Donley's Wild West Town, AZoosment Park at Santa's Village
August 16-18: Knoebels, Kennywood, Hersheypark

This trip report will be light on photos and heavier on commentary, since so many people have posted photos from these parks of late. Actually on the first trip I didn't even take any photos at Kings Dominion. It has been one of my favorite coaster parks since I305 and will only be better in 2018 the new RMC. Intimidator 305, Volcano and Dominator were all running great. Boo Blasters seemed spruced up with everything working. I had not been to KD since 2015 and was still satisfied with the park.

Next up was Carowinds.
I arrived at opening and headed to Fury 325 immediately. I had not been to Carowinds in 5 years so these were my first rides on Fury 325. I rode about 6 times with minimal waits before exploring the rest of the park. I really liked the ride and it is probably my favorite B&M non-looper but it just didn't match the major Intamin coasters if you favorite the ejector air. With that said I could certainly ride Fury 325 all day without stressing out my body.

Afterburn still kicks major butt and everyone that knows me knows I love Woodstock Gliders. I'm glad it is moving next year, because I always felt it was out of place in the kiddie area, especially when major snapping occurs and parents get concerned. The restraints on Flying Cobras make a difference. I didn't even try to ride Intimidator as the line was always longer than Fury 325 or Afterburn. I loved Plants vs Zombies, because I realized which gun was mine by looking at the number of my chair before sitting down (many people didn't do this and had no clue if they were hitting targets or not. The ride did not open until late afternoon and I re-rode a few times in a row and there were quite a few kids doing the same thing so I wasn't the only one who liked it.

The big improvements to the park were in the County Fair area which looked great and has wonderful flat rides. The Cedar Fair pickers did a great good.
20170411_113405.jpg
Big improvement with the restraints, but then again I like boomerangs to begin with

20170411_113509.jpg
Rock n Roller run a good program and music that tied together County Fair theme

20170411_114014.jpg
I had no complaints about their Troika

20170411_154149.jpg
I had not ridden one of these in a few years, but Electro Spin also gets a thumbs up.

20170411_121842.jpg
and who doesn't love a Wave Swinger like Zephyr

20170411_113740.jpg
They had little touches like this to add to the atmosphere

The area could have used a lot more shade, but isn't that true of any County Fair

Also, the park stepped up its game in the food area. Chickie and Pete's is a worthy replacement for Chick-Fil-A and Harmony Hall Marketplace offers a lot of variety.
20170411_133722.jpg
Here's the Harmony Hall menu board

Now for the ride that I was most enamored with. Was it great, no? However, I love interactive attractions and with so many people competing you have to think a little and be adaptive to do well. Rides like this just bring wake-up my Type A personality.
20170411_130047.jpg
Last time I was in this building it was Days of Thunder

20170411_130031.jpg
But not anymore

20170411_130039.jpg
Look for your player number before you sit down!

20170411_161931.jpg
The green side had an advantage, as 3 purple seats were always empty.

20170411_161927.jpg
Purple lost 4 times in a row even though we had some very high individual scores.

20170411_131111.jpg
However, in the end, this is my favorite ride in the park. Hopefully, moving it out of the kiddie area makes the line shorter on my future visits
Last edited by larrygator on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:54 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I poke manatees in the butt.

Re: larrygator's 2017 Coaster Affirmation Tour

Postby Jcoaster » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:45 pm

Larry Legend off the top rope with a photo trip report, can't wait to see more and see what you have to say about Dollywood.
Lightning Rod, Skyrush, El Toro, Superman: The Ride, Apollo's Chariot, Boulder Dash, Montu, Phoenix , Phantom's Revenge, , StormRunner

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:49 pm

Report looks great so far! It's fine if it's light on photos. I always enjoy reading your reports, since you've been to so many places and really appreciate a park for what it is.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:57 pm

^My tastes have not changed over the years and my body can still handle aggressive coasters, but I'll certainly be differentiating between what I consider rough and aggressive.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:49 pm

I enjoyed your TR on Carowinds. I'm looking forward to reading more.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:10 pm

Great to see this Photo TR, Larry. I haven't been to Carowinds since 2004 so this is interesting to see. Thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to the next installment!

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby coasterer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:44 am

Thanks for posting! I'll also be keeping an eye on this - I enjoy reading your commentary.
Favorites: Voyage, T-Express, Goliath (WW), Medusa Steel Coaster, Boulder Dash, Katun, I 305, El Toro, Storm Runner, Mega-lite, Shivering Timbers, Alpengeist, Millennium Force, Thunderhead, Nemesis, Skyrush, Prowler, Atlantis Adventure, Thundercoaster, Maverick, Jungle Storm, Cornball Express, Behemoth,

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:43 am

Plants v Zombies is a fun attraction. I had never played any of the games before, so all of the characters were new to me. It was easy to play and the pre show video with crazy Dave was pretty funny!
Chi life, live music, coasters, and traveling the world.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:27 am

Stoked for the rest!
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman The Ride - I305
TRs: KW/CP / SFOG / KD/BGW / HP / SFA / SFNE/LC

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby michaellynn4 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:40 am

I agree with your assessment of Fury. I loved the ride, enough to be one of my favorite B&Ms, but it still didn't top Intamin for me.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!