Trip Updates:

Day 1 - Carowinds

Day 2 - Dollywood

Day 3 - Pigeon Forge & Gatlingurg

Day 4 - Kings Island

Day 5 - Holiday World!

Day 6 - Six Flags St. Louis!

Day 7 - St. Louis City Museum!

Our 2017 USA tour has begun! With only a small group of 20 people we will travel from Charlotte, NC to Kansas City, MO hitting along the way: Carowinds, Dollywood, Kings Island, Holiday World, Six Flags St. Louis, City Museum, Silver Dollar City, and Worlds of Fun! Of course there will be some other random stops and fun along the way!

Today the trip kicked off at Carowinds! It had been a few years since we were last year but the B&M collection has gotten bigger at this park... MUCH bigger! In fact Fury 325 is at the moment the tallest "traditional" coaster in the USA (meaning a full ride that is more than just a one-trick pony) and that ride delivers some incredible speed and force! Our night ERT on it was just incredible and a perfect way to start off the trip!

But enough of this text business, let's move on to some photos & videos!

DFmVUE0UQAImUf4.jpg

We have officially kicked off our USA trip this year! On our way to Carowinds for some Fury Fun!

DFmaQuwXUAAOP5N.jpg

Who wishes they could be here with us riding Fury 325?

DFmcfmBXoAI3xbX.jpg

This is how we roll at parks! Love the Fast Lane passes!

DFmdan2WsAABa84.jpg

North Carolina or South Carolina? Choose one!

DFmiDbAXsAEv3TI.jpg

Just took our first ride on Fury 325! That is one FAST roller coaster!

DFmqKIFWsAAQdEI.jpg

Some people see two loops on a roller coaster, we see a HUGE smile... which is what we do when we are at Carowinds!

DFmulgHUMAAKt9q.jpg

What do we think? Will Vortex eventually become a "floorless" coaster? Yes/No?

DFm7BQFUMAAqVoC.jpg

Quite possibly the best thing Cedar Fair parks has ever done... switching to Coke!

DFm8yEMVwAAEEQl.jpg

DFm8yEMVYAAJqgh.jpg

DFm8yFCVwAAzVVP.jpg

Who wants to be riding roller coasters over whatever you're doing right now?

DFnKY1iUQAEIYLN.jpg

DFnKY1gUIAEqX6h.jpg

OMG! AfterBurn is as old as Dragon Challenge! Quick! Tell Carowinds to replace this world class coaster with a "family ride!"

DFnKY2dUAAE4INJ.jpg

DFnKY2eUIAE7LNF.jpg

I'm a sucker for old-school fast punchy B&M inverts. As much as I liked Fury, the back seat on Afterburn is still my favorite park "moment" at Carowinds!

DFnfsDHWsAIsaCn.jpg

Because three grown adults on a kids wood coaster is totally normal right? RIGHT???

IMG_4750.thumb.JPG.14238162edb9fc3b701e12dd586bd6f2.JPGSure! Of course we will take a ride on the Wild Mouse!

IMG_4854.thumb.JPG.76f31ed666e7c8fbc98b6a8c028ecafb.JPGTime to be zombies and go shoot some plants!

DFn3yvcXgAAzkfr.jpg

Just took a "dusk" ride on Fury 325! Damn that ride hauls ass!

DFn88a_XgAAdAui.jpg

Do you think we were having a good time on Fury 325?

DFn-BopXYAARJ7z.jpg

And I think we are having a bit of fun on Intimidator also!

DFn-dn1XcAAnX8l.jpg

DFn-doeWsAAwNn5.jpg

DFn-dn3XkAEpAmr.jpg

We've ran into so many TPR fans today at Carowinds! You guys are all awesome!!!

DFoHnfaXsAE42-J.jpg

DFoHnfaXYAARCqU.jpg

DFoHnfeXkAADtTp.jpg

Night time ERT has begun on Fury 325! OMG! This ride is NUTS at night!

DFoUOSmXkAE0UJu.jpg

DFoUOSpXUAAR2zZ.jpg

DFoUOSvXgAAQfJt.jpg

Taking turns doing solo night rides on Fury 325 because we can! When you only have 20 people, an hour ERT on the coaster, and they are running two trains, you can have a bit of fun!

DFoMHYrXYAE0RpZ.jpg

Let's hear it for the ladies on Fury 325!

[twitter]

[/twitter]

DFoWoqqXgAEotAt.jpg

Who wishes they could be filling a seat on this train?

[twitter]

[/twitter]

DFofE0AW0AAtRwY.jpg

DFofF4dXkAAxabW.jpg

DFofF4eXsAQiycj.jpg

DFofF4dXUAA5tWc.jpg

I think it would appear that we all liked Fury325!

DFogx3vXUAAlD4_.jpg

The crew at Fury 325 were... AWESOME! We them so much!!!

DFoj1kQWAAAF660.jpg

Our visit to Carowinds today is complete! We had an AMAZING time! Fury 325 was fantastic! Thank you!!!

DFoqR5dXgAIV5G1.jpg

Jared bought seven shirts today at Carowinds that he used as a blanket when he fell asleep on the bus! lol He had a GREAT day!

DFqXej6UMAEfBsT.jpg

The next morning we were the first people to arrive at Carowinds!

DFqZW8lV0AIgqZA.jpg

Shawn is here and he will give us a backstage tour of Fury325!

DFqbkaZVwAA8vPf.jpg

Yay! We are here at Fury325 with Shawn & Laresa for an AWESOME backstage tour of this incredible roller coaster!

DFqgYH-U0AEX-pj.jpg

DFqgYH_UMAE3sl6.jpg

DFqgYIrVoAEK7di.jpg

Our backstage tour has taken us to the maintenance area with an explanation on how Carowinds does work on Fury325!

DFqiV2DVYAACcD8.jpg

DFqiV2-VYAIAGXQ.jpg

DFqiV24UMAAKzmA.jpg

DFqiV26UAAAMaCC.jpg

This computer room is the nerve center for Fury325! It controls every electronic aspect of the coaster!

DFqnfOhVoAAry-t.jpg

What can we say? We loved Fury325!

[twitter]

[/twitter]

Now please POST YOUR COMMETS! After all, we took the time to write the report, thru very least you can do is say something about it!

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DFnKY2eUIAE7LNF.jpg

I'm a sucker for old-school fast punchy B&M inverts. As much as I liked Fury, the back seat on Afterburn is still my favorite park "moment" at Carowinds!

My thoughts exactly. After waiting 13 years to ride Afterburn again, it still rode exactly like I remembered it. Smoother than newer B&M's, the wing over at the end is nuts, and the little things like the turn and dip before the immelman make it one memorable coaster!

Thanks for the live updates and posting the full reports here! I just got a timehop to the Texas trip and it's awesome to see a TPR USA tour ticking off this week

I finally got to visit this park recently and LOVED Fury as well! Afterburn was definitely the surprise of my trip, those back row rides are super intense and amazing!

Looks like your trip is kicking off with a ton of fun and great coasters. Love the updates!

Who wants to be riding roller coasters over whatever you're doing right now?

giphy.gif

Carowinds has been my favorite park I've visited so far this year, and I hope to get back there more frequently! Super jealous of that ERT Fury session too.

Glad to hear you liked Fury, Robb! I'd love to hear some retrospective opinions regarding recent B&Ms, etc.

Do you think this is your favorite hyper-style B&M? I know you really enjoy Nitro and a few others

Is this among your favorite post-2000 B&M?

Anything you didn't "like" about it?

Does Fury and Flying Dino give you hope for the future of forceful B&Ms? (I know it does for me!)

Thanks for the updates!

PS - Sending good vibes to your crew to get on Lightning Rod in the coming days. I REALLY want to hear your opinion on my favorite coaster!

Seems like a perfect start to what looks to be an awesome trip!

I'm assuming you guys will be in Kansas City well before August 21? Would've been a cool end to the trip to be right in path of the total solar eclipse.

Glad to hear you liked Fury, Robb! I'd love to hear some retrospective opinions regarding recent B&Ms, etc.

Some interesting questions. I'll try to answer as best I can.

Do you think this is your favorite hyper-style B&M? I know you really enjoy Nitro and a few others

I think it's very different than Nitro. If anything Fury reminded me more of a bigger Raging Bull before they neutered Raging Bull. But I'm honestly not sure which I prefer if I had to choose. I loved Fury, but there were things about it that kept it from being a "top ten" ride for me.

Is this among your favorite post-2000 B&M?

Yes most certainly.

Anything you didn't "like" about it?

The trims. I felt like every time it wanted to give me ejector airtime, it would hit a trim and deliver "nice" airtime. Rides like Mako do the same thing. You have this lead-in moment where you're going "holycrap holycrap holycrap!!!" anticipating what is about to come, then you hit the trim and go "awwww..."

Does Fury and Flying Dino give you hope for the future of forceful B&Ms? (I know it does for me!)

More forceful than they have been in recent years yes, but not as forceful as B&Ms early years. That night ride I took on Ice Dragon the other day and even the first section of AfterBurn felt more forceful than anything on Fury IMO.

^^ I appreciate the response! I can agree with the airtime, I really wish there was more. The sustained floater over the trim-hill is great, but you can feel there's more potential...

My favorite part of Fury is probably the drop into the tunnel in the backseat -- There's some decent airtime there. I also really enjoy that the pacing is vastly improved compared to other B&M hypers. I love that there's no really "slow" parts, you know?

The Fury ERT and behind the scenes tour both look incredible! For me personally the whole first half of Fury is spectacular but after the tunnel is that long flat stretch to the trim brake and after that it's so uninspired. I don't want to compare it to Gatekeeper's stupid circle into the station after the MCBR but it almost feels that boring. The specific part that really kills it for me on Fury is that monorail-type right turn thru the supports towards the station before the bunny hops. I go from "YEAH!!! This ride KICKS ASS!!! I want to ride it again and agai--- zzzzzz, seriously?" which stinks. The incredible sense of speed and zooming around somehow instantaneously disappears.

Carowinds looks like a great park, I really need to get out there and visit it. Thanks for the great trip report, it's fun to live vicariously through all of your adventures!

Carowinds is a OK park. Not great. It has one phenomenal - out of this world - coaster with Fury 325, two excellent steel coasters with Intimidator and Afterburn, and seven less than average or truly awful coasters (Nighthawk, Hurler, Vortex, Carolina Cyclone, Carolina Goldrusher, Ricochet and their Boomerang). Fury alone makes the park worth recommending. Carowinds will seriously benefit from giving Hurler the RMC treatment, and turning Vortex into a floorless coaster.

So glad to hear Robb loved Fury 325! I was shocked to learn I had a new Number 1 steel after I rode it. Its such an amazing, mindblowing ride.

Great report! To me Fury felt way different than the other B&M mega coasters I've been on which is why it's my top coaster. Meanwhile their other giga (Leviathan) felt like a bigger version of their hypers.

Night rides on Fury are amazing. Especially that dive below the walkway.

Awesome report! I am looking to forward to the rest of it. Fury is definitely on top of my "bucket list", it looks so awesome!

Out of interest, how does Intimidator compare to Shambhala? I don't have to ask about Fury, because that ride is clearly better. But I am just wondering which one is better.

Guys yes, we did just get on Lightning Rod and you can follow the updates live on Twitter, but please PLEASE do not re-post our Twitter updates (I had to delete some posts) in here. This is my trip report and I'd like to keep it like that. On the forum, we are still talking about our awesome visit to Carowinds and Fury. Please wait for me to post the next report.

Thank you.