Volcano Bay Water Theme Park - Universal Studios Orlando

P. 1 - Volcano Bay Media Day and Grand Opening TR
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Volcano Bay Water Theme Park - Universal Studios Orlando

Postby CaptainUnknown » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:07 pm

coasterbill wrote:Stupid question but how are water slides having frequent downtime issues? They're water slides...

Problems with the plumbing?

180px-SSB4TrophyPiranha_Plant.png

But I'm sure there are still a million sensors that say "someone is currently on the slide--don't send anyone else down yet."
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 21
Credits: 104 (21 wood/83 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:38 am

If the conveyor for the mat racer slide is down I don't really get why people cant just carry their mats up the stairs to keep that slide operational, ya know like how every other mat racer slide at every other water park in the world does it?

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Gav » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:38 pm

A full reservation based system is always going to be challenging because there's no handbrake on people "joining" the queue.

People can tap at the totems at a far higher rate than the rides dispatch interval, so its clear how virtual queue slots would be eaten up very quickly.

With a standby queue there is a natural reality check when you see the line and ask yourself ”Can I really be bothered waiting?" and that works as a natural handbrake, and people naturally distribute themselves more evenly around the park, to attractions with spare capacity.

Id agree with other posters about it limiting choice....
Id be annoyed at any park if there was a key ride I came for that I was totally booked out, with no option to suck it up and standby.

'No lines' only works too if there is enough to do during the virtual wait.
To be fair they do have a lazy river and wave pool, but I think a good proportion of visitors would get bored with doing passive activities such as those for long periods.

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:40 pm

The gasp I made when I found the TripAdvisor page with 2/5 stars... I get that they're going through some pretty intense growing pains into a new system, but it's quite unfortunate that they're getting hammered like this until they work things out. I couldn't help but feel some things were rushed so they could get the park open, and now seeing the results of that.

Edit: It's good that Universal has someone responding to virtually all of the reviews though!

Disney uses a conveyor for their belly mat slides too. It's fun to see them zip up the mountain super quick.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby acromango » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:43 pm

Midgetman82 wrote:The gasp I made when I found the TripAdvisor page with 2/5 stars... I get that they're going through some pretty intense growing pains into a new system, but it's quite unfortunate that they're getting hammered like this until they work things out. I couldn't help but feel some things were rushed so they could get the park open, and now seeing the results of that.

Edit: It's good that Universal has someone responding to virtually all of the reviews though!

Disney uses a conveyor for their belly mat slides too. It's fun to see them zip up the mountain super quick.

Oh boy, the TripAdvisor page is actually very comical.
Pictures of closed or delayed rides, of an injured little girl, of a traffic jam in the lazy river... :lmao:

I do hope this will be resolved once they've worked logistic out. I also hope they reduce park maximum capacity because clearly it's been overestimated!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby AndrewRnR » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:57 pm

I see the issues stemming from two things:

- Lines are needed. They create a perception of value. In this fast moving world, I think people start to feel bored sitting around on a beach chair or such waiting for their time. Whereas standing in line you literally see progress being made as you get closer, and it gives you a perceived value of the park. I hate lines, but also hate the idea that I basically have to sit around and do nothing for most of the day (lazy rivers/wave pool are only fun for so long).

- Length of stay. I feel like the park was designed with capacity and the mindset that it would take 6+ hours to see everything since you can only "Virtually" queue for so many things at once. Even if the lines get down to 30-45 mins it would still take close to that to see the whole park. I'd have to guess the average water park guest, in Florida or wherever, probably only spend 4/5 hours tops in a water park. You can only be in water, half naked, baking in the sun for so long. Heck, that's probably why Disney has after 2 discounts/passes.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby CaptainUnknown » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:34 pm

If/when the TapuTapu problems are fixed, I can easily see a TapuTapu Express upcharge option being added.
Or am I forgetting that already exists?
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 21
Credits: 104 (21 wood/83 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:00 pm

^A system meant to reduce/eliminate lines gets a system to reduce/eliminate lines. Do you see the conundrum in this?
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Garet » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:56 am

They did have Universal Express that let you bypass the reservations and join the slide line directly but not sure if it's stopped until they fix some of the problems.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:13 am

Midgetman82 wrote:^A system meant to reduce/eliminate lines gets a system to reduce/eliminate lines. Do you see the conundrum in this?

It wouldn't be that much different than the regular vs. gold flash pass levels at Six Flags. One could get you on faster.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Twisted Timbers
Most Recent Trip Reports- Quassy

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!