Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2017 US Adventures

Lake George, Mini Golfing, and a Mountain Coaster
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2017 US Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:44 am

^ Unfortunately the cycle before you always has a ton of screaming and you'll often have someone come off greener than the Hulk. Plus they also have the observation deck next to the queue. Best of luck getting her on, but it'll be hard if she hates spinning rides.

Obviously Disney is going to do a better job with a coaster, but for a smaller park Untamed's theming is unbelievable. The park's overall charm is where Canobie shines. I think one more great coaster will really put the place more on the map with enthusiasts and make it a must when they go to SFNE.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby coneyislandchris » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:59 am

She's okay with spinning rides for the most part, though she had a bit of a bad experience at Dorney last time out since they let us load up a car with all four of us and it was running a batsh*t insane cycle. I'm not sure if she's ever been on a Rotor or Gravitron... we'll have to see. :)

Agreed on one more coaster for the place. What sort do you think would complement their collection the best?
That coaster dad [272] and that coaster kiddo [152]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Lightning Rod. Goliath (SFGAm). Wicked Cyclone. Millennium Force. Gale Force.

Postby coasterbill » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:18 am

Great report! Canobie is a really nice little park. I think Yankee Cannonball is a pretty average (though fun) coaster and is hilariously overrated but I really enjoyed my day at the park. It's a great place.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:43 am

coneyislandchris wrote:Agreed on one more coaster for the place. What sort do you think would complement their collection the best?

I think the next coaster should probably be of the family variety. After the Dragon kiddie coaster, the next tamest coaster is Yankee Cannonball. I think they could use something to bridge the gap like maybe one of those Mack spinners.

My pipe dream is Kanonen since it's just below the height limit and would have a unique layout for a ride in the area.

coasterbill wrote:Great report! Canobie is a really nice little park. I think Yankee Cannonball is a pretty average (though fun) coaster and is hilariously overrated but I really enjoyed my day at the park. It's a great place.

I'd say that's a very fair assessment of Yankee Cannonball. It's super reridable, but the airtime can vary wildly. I have gotten rides where I've come out of my seat on every hill, but that hasn't happened in 4-5 years at this point. Then again I have also had some slower rides where I can hardly get any air.
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Blatch » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:31 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:I think the next coaster should probably be of the family variety. After the Dragon kiddie coaster, the next tamest coaster is Yankee Cannonball. I think they could use something to bridge the gap like maybe one of those Mack spinners.

My pipe dream is Kanonen since it's just below the height limit and would have a unique layout for a ride in the area.

Considering the water park rumor is what Quassy did, maybe they could take another page out of their book and do a small wooden coaster akin to Wooden Warrior? Or, for that matter, Roar-O-Saurus at the other end of the state. I'm sure enthusiasts would be happy, even if it wouldn't be too unique.
Half of my posts on here are of me talking about roller coasters, but without me actually having rode them. I hate this.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:16 pm

With the location of the clearing and survey markers, a water park expansion makes too much sense for the park's long term success. A mini woody like Roar-o-saurus or Wooden Warrior would be great since they're relatively cheap and amazing rides. If they wanted unique, they could add a barrel roll like Mine Blower but that would remove the family aspect.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:13 pm

Dollywood...Still no Lightning Rod
I had a week long family vacation in Pigeon Forge in early June, so I had plenty of time at Dollywood. I rode Tennessee Tornado, Wild Eagle, Drop Line, and everything to my hearts content except for one ride, Lightning Rod. That sexy looking but perpetually closed RMC sat there taunting me. 3 days after I left Pigeon Forge, the Lightning Rod decided to reopen.

For the next few weeks, Lightning Rod ran fairly consistently. Maybe Dollywood really did cure all the downtime by taking the ride down for the 3 weeks leading up to and during my visit (spoiler alert, it didn't since the ride is closed as I type this). Yes it sucked, but if they finally solved all of the enigmatic ride's issues, it was worth it in the long run. Well I had been planning to visit a friend in Atlanta in late July and we were looking for something to do during the weekend visit. Since I knew he was a theme park fan (not a die-hard like me, but he did intern at Disney), I suggested Dollywood and the Smoky Mountains which he was on board with.

The weekend before my trip, Lightning Rod heard I was coming and decided to shut down. This was not happening again. Well it then reopened that Monday and Tuesday. Phew disaster averted.

not-so-fast.jpg

Then Lightning Rod did the ultimate sausage tease on Wednesday-Friday by starting the day as TC only to never open and switch to CD by mid-afternoon. With that, I wasn't overly optimistic Lightning Rod would be open and sure enough it was listed as CD bright and early on Saturday morning. So much for the downtime during my last visit ensuring that the ride would run reliably for the rest of the summer. :(

And just like last time, Lightning Rod opened 3 days after I left. I guess I'm everyone's good luck charm if they visit the park immediately after me. Same thing happened on my visit to Dollywood last year as well. I'm glad Robb, Elissa, and the rest of the group got on Lightning Rod after we missed it last year since it really sucks seeing that ride closed. If you want to ensure a ride on Lightning Rod, just cover my airfare and I'm happy to visit the park before you get there and based on the trend, Lightning Rod should be running a few days later.

Lightning Rod Closed.JPG
No not again...sigh, the orange sign of doom.

Lightning Rod Closed Sign.JPG
Dollywood turning RMC into the villain here.

Lightning Rod Lift.JPG
Such a tease.

Lightning Rod Pre-Drop (Empty).JPG
Someday I'll experience the ride's insanity. Someday.

I stopped in the chapel and prayed to the coaster gods Lightning Rod would open. I also contemplated buying one of the godly shirts, but knew resistance was futile. Actually I considered buying the Star Wars shirt so I could wear that to the Episode 8 midnight premiere to see just what kind of looks I'd get :lol: .

Chapel Inside.JPG
What kind of penance do you need me to do to get Lightning Rod to reopen?

God Shirt 9.JPG
This may have been my favorite religious shirt. It was so clever, I didn't catch it the first time.

God Shirt 10.JPG
I wonder if Star Wars fans would burn me at the cross if I wore this to a premiere.

Since I already wrote a detailed report on my experience earlier this year, I won't go into too much depth on my thoughts on the coasters (Click Here if you want In-Depth). Wild Eagle and Tennessee Tornado are my two personal favorites. One benefit of this visit was the park was open until 10. In early June, the park closed at 7 most nights. That meant night rides. I go back and forth whether or not Tennessee Tornado or Wild Eagle is better, but I have to give it to the bird after some amazing night rides. The ride's setting on the hill at night is fantastic.

I also wanted to capture some of the thoughts of my friend's experiences on the coasters:

Wild Eagle- My friend is 6'3" so usually he's stuffed into a coaster car like a wiener in a pretzel dog. He loved the freedom of the wing seating and the ride's elements. This was his personal favorite in the park.

Mystery Mine- I purposely toured the park counterclockwise so when we reached Mystery Mine, the ride's finale would be hidden from view. He thought the first half was relatively tame so he was absolutely shocked by the final plunge and two inversions. He also was impressed by the ride's theming.

Tennessee Tornado- He hated the back rows of the cars due to the lack of leg room, but he loved the first drop through the mountain and the rest of the ride when we rode in the front of the cars. Only negative was how short the ride was.

Firechaser Express- He thought it was an interesting little coaster, but he preferred the three listed above.

Thunderhead- "Once was enough." (And I even rode in the front too)

Blazing Fury- He thought it was just going to be a dark ride and was taken by surprise on the drop and great pop of airtime.

Wild Eagle Through the Trees.JPG
Love Wild Eagle's placement.

Tennessee Tornado Loop 3.JPG
Dollywood's fastest operating coaster.

Mystery Mine Brake Run.JPG
Hiding the second half from my friend, priceless.

Thunderhead Station Fly By.JPG
I would have loved to have experienced Thunderhead in the first few years while it was still smooth. But as is it's still a fun coaster.

Firechaser Express Airtime.JPG
Still one of the best family coasters. The dude in the 2nd row seems to be having the time of his life.

We also took quite a few rides on Drop Line. We timed it just right to see the sunset over the Smokies. Actually we were two rides too early, so we just re-rode it until we saw the sunset. This drop tower is up there with Marineland's (only time I'll mention that awful park in this report) for the best view on a drop tower. Plus the ride had some water effects going at the base of the tower which were missing in my June visits.

One funny thing is that there seemed to be a Drop Line enthusiast who kept riding again and again through the Timesaver queue. Once we were all in the waiting pen for our ride, he blew a whistle and then started giving a safety spiel and tips for where to sit. I thought he was an employee at first, but no he seemed to just be a dude in love with the ride. Best thing is that I don't even think that was his own whistle. After he used it each time, he placed it back on the corner of the operator booth. :lol:

Drop Line Fountains.JPG
Usually I'm a fire kind of guy, but not when it's 100 degrees out.

Since the heat index was over 100 degrees, the longest lines by far were for the water rides. Smoky Mountain River Rampage was 70 minutes by mid-afternoon and Daredevil Falls even reached 45 minutes at one point. River Battle appeared to have a full queue, but that's a relatively small queue house. And we weren't in the mood to hike up the hill to Mountainside Slidewinder. The park truly has one of the best water ride collections, which is critical since Tennessee is in that sweet spot that manages to have both high heat and crazy humidity.

Smoky Mountain River Rampage Drop.JPG
That looks drenching.

Daredevil Falls Splashdown (Far).JPG
This too, but it actually isn't drenching (unless you're in the front row and forget to lift up your feet).

With the long lines on the water rides, the air-conditioned shows and Chasing Rainbow Museums were two other meccas during our visit. Dolly's personal museum is really extensive and if you love Dolly, you'll gobble this museum right up. Since I'm not a redneck, I'm not a fan of country so my favorite part in the museum is the timeline of Dollywood's history towards the end.

Then we saw the Gazillion Bubbles Show. The name sounds incredibly childish and sounds like something that should be hosted by Barney the Dinosaur, but it's actually an amazing show. The performer, Fan Yang, is a bubble artist (yes that's actually a thing and we're all in the wrong profession) who holds world records for the longest bubble (~150ft long :wtf: ) and the most people encapsulated by a single bubble with 100 (let that sink in). So the dude is pretty talented and blew, you guessed it, a gazillion bubbles during the show. Then it ended with laser bubble FX. Don't mock the name. You'll be stunned if you ever see it since he looked like a Jedi on stage. The show completely exceeded all my expectations and I highly recommend it if it's running at Dollywood when you're there.

Chasing Rainbows Museum.JPG
AC the Ride.

Dolly Hologram.JPG
I see Dolly!

Gazillion Bubbles Show.JPG
The name sounds like something a 5 year old would come up with, but this was a seriously awesome show.

Eagle Show.JPG
Looked like a cool show, but it didn't have AC so I walked right by.

Like any good friend, I also got him hooked on cinnamon bread. I have never had cinnamon bread (I know, but bear with me :devil: ) since I dislike all sweets. However, like 99% of all other humans, my friend loves all things sugary and sweet so he thought it was delicious. Meanwhile I ate an entire turkey leg like a barbarian. I had only gotten a turkey leg one other time at Disneyland and all I have to say is wow. Disneyland's turkey leg tasted like dried-out pork and not at all like turkey. Dollywood's turkey leg actually tasted like turkey and was actually juicy. I'd definitely get one of those again. It gives me a great excuse to act like a savage.

Aunt Granny's.JPG
That's the most southern name you can have. So is she my grandmother or some weird Southern incestual thing?

Grist Mill (Aerial).JPG
The Grist Mill, aka Lightning Rod closure therapy.

Turkey Leg 1.JPG
Omg this actually tastes like turkey.

Turkey Leg 2.JPG
Like a savage!

The late closure not only meant night rides on the coasters, but it also meant there was the nightly fireworks show. I think the music remains unchanged from the year before (hearing some of those pop songs with the fireworks is pretty unmistakable) but that's ok since the quality of the show is about as good as a theme park's fireworks can be outside of Disney.

Firechaser Express Fireworks.JPG
*as Katy Perry plays in the background*

I had a lot of fun at Dollywood, especially since I was there with a first-timer. But it's getting pretty agitating seeing Lightning Rod closed on all my visits only to have it reopen a few days later and then hear all the rave reviews. Yes the rest of the park is still amazing, but it may be a while before I return since I want to ensure that coaster is actually going to be running. It lured me in after operating well at the start of the year and the month after my last visit, but next time I'm going to want to see it run for a longer period of time to avoid getting burned.

So hopefully Lightning Rod can be back up and running reliably since it truly looks like one of the world's best coasters and the park is one of my favorites. It's still a really strong park without Lightning Rod, but it's painful seeing that coaster closed visit after visit.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:15 pm

Goats on the Roof...in Georgia

Goats on the Roof is synonymous with one of the best alpine coasters and the living embodiment of a Pigeon Forge tourist trap. It wouldn't be a visit to Dollywood without stopping there. After a 2.5 hour drive from Dollywood we made it to Goats on the Roof. I know what you're thinking, "I thought Goats on the Roof was in Pigeon Forge?" Well it is. But there's also one in the absolute middle-of-nowhere Georgia in a town called Tiger.

As a full disclaimer, we didn't even intend to go to Goats on the Roof. After a full-day at Dollywood, the plan was to drive back to Atlanta via the Smoky Mountains National Park and then hit up Fun Spot Atlanta if time permitted. We hit the road early only to stop in Gatlinburg. He wanted to check out a moonshine distillery, which unfortunately couldn't sell any on Sunday until the afternoon but he thought it was still cool to see how the most southern drink ever was made, and I wanted to support the best-named pizza place ever, the Mellow Mushroom.

Mellow Mushroom Box.JPG
Stone baked goodness.

Moonshine Candle.JPG
I figured this would be a bad candle to put in a car in case an officer pulled us over.
"Sir what's that smell?"
"A candle."
"Please step out of the vehicle."
"No seriously it's a candle!"

Mountains 31.JPG
Got my nature credit (again) as well.

After leaving the Smoky Mountains, I visited the dark shadowy place on the other side of the Smokies known as Cherokee, NC. Maybe Cherokee is actually nice, but the portion of town we passed through looked like a desolate and desperate tourist trap. We passed a million Indian stores, an abandoned family entertainment center, and gem miles galore. And there was also a river with plenty of people "swimming," though I use that term loosely since the water was only waist deep. Can't say I ever want to stay on that side of the Smokies based on what I saw.

Cherokee Fun Park.JPG
Guess this fun park wasn't fun enough for people.

We continued down the road passing gem mine after gem mine. If we were counting, we honestly may have passed 20. We didn't want to stop to support the local economy until I saw a sign for Goats on the Roof. This was an immediate slam on the brakes and turn into the parking lot kind of place. I didn't know there was a second Goats on the Roof so this was an amazing surprise goat credit.

Goat on the Roof Banner.JPG
I thought this was a mirage, but no there's a second location.

Goats on the Roof Sign.JPG
This looks familiar.

Goat Figures.JPG
This is everything that is right with a tourist trap.

Goat Grazing.JPG
Sadly no coaster. I always look at this photo and think that bridge is part of an alpine coaster.

For those unfamiliar with Goats on the Roof, the name pretty much says it all and it's everything that's right in a tourist trap. Though if you want to learn about the Legend of Goats on the Roof, they are happy to inform you via a sign. Too bad most people down South can't read it though.

Legend of Goats on the Roof.JPG
Several of those words are beyond a 5th grade reading level.

There's no coaster, but much of the place is reminiscent of the Pigeon Forge attraction. It was a hot day, so most of the goats were taking shelter, unless you delivered them food. You could either ride the dilapidated bike of doom and pray you don't take a shaft to the anus or you could hand feed a goat an ice cream cone and watch him deep throat it. I preferred to watch the kids do both these things for me.

Goat in the House.JPG
It was hot so the goats took cover unless food was on the way.

Bike.JPG
Those goats know the sound of the conveyor belt.

Goat 1.JPG
"Is that food I see?"

Goat Eating Cone 1.PNG
"I love deep throating ice cream cones!"

They also had the most sorry excuse of an arcade ever. I tried to take a photo of the entire arcade and it was a major struggle. Not because it was too large. Rather it was so small I didn't have enough space to get a photo. Eventually I got one and as you can see, the only two games were air hockey and a mini basketball hoop. I'm guessing people aren't coming for the games.

Arcade.JPG

As we were about to hit the road, we saw one of the most southern things ever, a pet pig. I kid you not, a family walked out of their vehicle and out plopped a freaking pig. They had a leash and everything for it. And with that, we thought it was the perfect time to head back to Atlanta before gaps formed between our teeth and we pulled banjos out of our pockets.

Country Store.JPG
Fido the family pig.

Pet Pig 2.JPG
I lost it when I saw the leash and everything.
Goat on the Roof.JPG

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:40 pm

Nice report! I can't wait to visit Dollywood one day. It seems like such an excellent park, even without Lightning Rod. That's a bummer you couldn't ride it. I hope that ride starts seeing better days sooner rather than later.
Steel: 145 -- Wood: 27 -- Total: 172
Twitter & Instagram: @nlamoreaux99
Nobody loves Skyrush more than me. Seriously.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Ed Farmer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:19 pm

One funny thing is that there seemed to be a Drop Line enthusiast who kept riding again and again through the Timesaver queue. Once we were all in the waiting pen for our ride, he blew a whistle and then started giving a safety spiel and tips for where to sit. I thought he was an employee at first, but no he seemed to just be a dude in love with the ride. Best thing is that I don't even think that was his own whistle. After he used it each time, he placed it back on the corner of the operator booth.

Haha, wtf? That's just bizarre.
"Next, we are going to solicit the children of strangers so that we can go on a ride designed for children. This is so I can post online and impress other people who are very good at procuring unfamiliar children in order to go on rides designed for children, and thus have a higher arbitrary number than me."

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!