Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2017 US Adventures

Lake Compounce- Haunted Graveyard & Night Boulder Dash!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2017 US Adventures

Postby Pear » Fri May 26, 2017 5:44 pm

I love Lake Compounce and can't wait to get out and try Wildcat when it opens later. It will definitely take a while before the entire park is connected with a loop but hopefully we get a coaster that utilizes the lake later on.

Is there any reason for Down Time's topper to be gone this year? I hope it returns soon.
The best coaster is Boulder Dash

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri May 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Philrad71 wrote:But I have to say...here is TPR's new best quote of the week/month:

This is the best boomerang I've been on, which is like saying you're the best player on the Cleveland Browns.

And one could feel free to substitute the Buffalo Bills over the Browns into that little zinger too! :lmao:

I'm such a spoiled Patriots fan. I started watching them in 2000 and the second year I followed them was the first year of Brady. I'm sure I'll suffer sometime after Brady and Belichick leave but for now I can ride the high.
Pear wrote:I love Lake Compounce and can't wait to get out and try Wildcat when it opens later. It will definitely take a while before the entire park is connected with a loop but hopefully we get a coaster that utilizes the lake later on.

Pear wrote:Is there any reason for Down Time's topper to be gone this year? I hope it returns soon.

I just think they hadn't gotten around to putting it up. I'd think they'd want it up before Memorial Day weekend.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

Postby cal1br3tto » Sun May 28, 2017 10:46 am

I appreciate the update on Boulder Dash. I didn't know it'd been retracked, so after reading your subtitle I was glad to hear it's still amazing!

I remain extremely skeptical about the possibility of the Wildcat experience being improved. :evil:
113 wood+501 steel=614|Boulder Dash|Coaster|X2|Maverick|Phoenix|Twisted Colossus|Storm Chaser|iRat|Kawasemi|NTag

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby sfriday1998 » Mon May 29, 2017 6:14 pm

I'll be at SFNE this Thursday (June 1) if you want to meet up at some point
Current coaster count: 76
Top flats: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, New England Sky Screamer, Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission BREAKOUT
Top 10 coasters: Wicked Cyclone, Superman TR, Nitro, El Toro, Top Thrill Dragster, Tatsu, Millennium Force, X2, Revenge of the Mummy (USH), Boulder Dash
:airtime:
Stay in school

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon May 29, 2017 6:35 pm

^ Sorry I have work. Most of my local park visits are on weekends since I save my PTO for parks further away. Enjoy though!

cal1br3tto wrote:I appreciate the update on Boulder Dash. I didn't know it'd been retracked, so after reading your subtitle I was glad to hear it's still amazing!

I remain extremely skeptical about the possibility of the Wildcat experience being improved. :evil:

I never rode the original GhostRider but the GCI retracked one was smooth as silk last year. Based on that, I think Wildcat could be quite good.
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala

Postby Pear » Mon May 29, 2017 6:51 pm

Both Boulder Dash an Wildcat were retracked by M&V this year. Given that they've pretty much replaced the entire track and are using Millennium Fliers, I'd be surprised if it was rough. It will definitely run faster though since the new trains are shorter than the PTC's were.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon May 29, 2017 7:15 pm

Will they be able to run 2 trains on Wildcat with the renovation?

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:06 pm

Michigan's Adventure

I knew I wanted to take a Memorial Day weekend coaster trip to visit Six Flags Great America and Holiday World. The question was what park to hit on the third day. Originally I was planning on hitting Six Flags St. Louis, but that park lacked a true destination coaster for me. It had several good coasters, but nothing with the allure of Shivering Timbers. I openly admit that I made the side-trip entirely for Shivering Timbers so if it were closed (which could have very well happened based on their other coasters as I'll get into), I would have cried enough tears to fill Lake Michigan. This isn't like Dollywood where the park has other great coasters to compensate for the top attraction being down. Was Shivering Timbers worth the drive? Yes.

Michigan's Adventure is unanimously considered the red-headed stepchild of the Cedar Fair chain. While every other Cedar Fair park seemingly gets a new ride every year, Michigan's Adventure goes years without new attractions and those attractions added aren't exactly things you'd save up for. The last 3 additions were the flyers in 2013, bumper boats in 2010, and a used SLC in 2008. Michigan's Adventure is probably due for the Knott's Boomerang next knowing their luck. Fortunately, I was able to enjoy a few of their rides installed before Cedar Fair purchased the park.

Despite the lack of attention this park gets, it's very clean like the other Cedar Fair parks. I also like how the lake is the centerpiece of the park. However, operations were notably worse at Michigan's Adventure. Stacking was common-place on the two coasters with multiple trains (Shivering Timbers and Thunderhawk). Then the other major coasters all ran just one train which led to painfully slow moving lines. Thankfully being Michigan's Adventure, even on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend the park wasn't that crowded. Everything was a walk-on except Corkscrew which was a 2 train wait and Wolverine Wildcat which was a 30 minute wait. The water park looked like the big draw for the park, but I skipped it due to time.

Several coasters were down for part or all of my visit which made getting the credits tricky. Upon arrival about an hour after opening, I was greeted with Corkscrew, Mad Mouse, and Zach's Zoomer all being down. Thank the heavens Shivering Timbers wasn't one of them. Corkscrew opened around 1; Zach's Zoomer opened around 3:30; Mad Mouse was cycling test trains with water dummies when I left around 4. Earlier in the day the workers were pulling a train through the Mad Mouse's course. Ultimately I got on all of the coasters but Mad Mouse.

Shivering Timbers- This is easily one of the most imposing coasters around because of how it towers over the empty parking lot with wooden hill after hill. The layout looked tantalizing in photos over the years and seeing it in person did not disappoint. My first ride was in the back and it was a very good 9/10 ride. The drops alternated between mild floater air and strong floater air. The turnaround had pretty good laterals and the final helix had absolutely bonkers laterals. The ride was relatively smooth too. Then I rode in the front seat and that was the money seat. The airtime over each hill was relentless and the ride maintains its speed like my favorite woody in Boulder Dash. I just wish the PTC lap bars didn't staple me down quite as much, which is the one thing keeping it out of my top 5 woodies. If I ever return to Michigan's Adventure, this will likely be the reason and the ride is as good as its reputation suggests. 10 out of 10

Wolverine Wildcat- Having not heard much about Shivering Timbers's little brother, I went in expecting a dull and possibly rough ride. I rode in the 2nd to back row and was pleasantly surprised by the Phoenix wannabe (complete with everything including the tunnel at the start). In no way was the airtime comparable to Phoenix, but the coaster was smooth and about 4 or so hills had nice pops of air, highlighted by the double down. I would have ridden it a second time, but I couldn't justify waiting for it again when I could get 3 rides on Timbers in the same time frame. 7 out of 10

Zach's Zoomer- The drop-off from Wildcat to the park's third best coaster is immense. Because of its smooth ride, Zach's Zoomer was my third favorite coaster in the park, which is a testament to how poor the steel coasters are at this park. It's a smooth junior woodie, but really nothing special. I think one of the hills gave a pop of air, but that was about it. 4 out of 10

Thunderhawk- I had heard on the park forum that Thunderhawk was the smoothest SLC. Having ridden it, I can agree that it tracks the best. What that equates to is a 3/10 ride instead of a 1/10 ride :lmao: While the head-banging isn't as brutal as other SLCs, it still isn't an enjoyable coaster for me. I really need the vest-restraints on a SLC in order to enjoy these coasters. If Michigan's Adventure got those style trains, this would be my favorite SLC. Without them, it's a pretty looking invert that bashes you in the head with a rattle instead of a hammer like other SLCs. 3 out of 10

Corkscrew- I went in expecting a ride similar to Canobie's Corkscrew. In some ways, it was true. The first drop had a nice pop of air and the corkscrews weren't overly brutal. So why the low score? The trains. Canobie's trains have plenty of leg room for me. These trains were extremely tight and even though I'm a skinny guy, I could barely get the restraint down since my knees were pointing upwards. 3 out of 10

Big Dipper- The looks I got from the other kids riding this was priceless, but it's all part of being a coaster whore. As far as kiddie coasters, this one was reasonably smooth and a bit taller, but let's not get excited. It's not a kiddie coaster at Knoebels. 2 out of 10

The only non-coaster I rode was the wet/dry water slide HydroBlaster. The slide was reasonably fast and managed to not drench me which is what I was looking for. The flume had a full queue when I passed it, so I unfortunately had to skip it. Grand Rapids looked like a very well themed river rapids ride and the name is perfect for the park, but I didn't want to get bombarded with waterfalls considering I had a long drive after leaving to Indiana Beach.

Michigan's Adventure is an easy park to pick on, but it is a decent park buoyed entirely by the awesomeness known as Shivering Timbers. If it were a local park, I'd definitely visit it at least once a year. However, as a park really out of the way from enthusiasts, I can't see myself returning until the park adds a great second coaster to compliment Shivering Timbers.
Shivering Timbers First Drop.JPG
The sole reason I entered the state of Michigan.
Shivering Timbers Lift Hill.JPG
This woody gives enthusiasts woodies, me included.
Shivering Timbers Entrance.JPG
Shivering Timbers was worth the side-trip. It was a 10/10 ride in the front, a 9/10 ride in the back. I loved how well the ride kept its speed and the coaster is an airtime buffet mixing mild floater air with strong floater air. And that final helix really piles on the laterals.
Swan Boats.JPG
Hmmm what else is here? Well it's Michigan so of course there's a lake/pond.
Wolverine Wildcat First Drop 1.JPG
Wolverine Wildcat is a Phoenix knockoff. It's almost as smooth as Phoenix, but the air-time is no where close.
Wolverine Wildcat Tunnel.JPG
The coaster even has the same tunnel to start the ride.
Wolverine Wildcat First Drop 3.JPG
It's a decent coaster with 4 or so pops of air and the setting is great, but a one train operation made it a one and done for me.
Corkscrew Brake Run.JPG
Speaking of a one train operation.
Corkscrew First Drop.JPG
Corkscrew was as smooth as an Arrow corkscrew could be, but the trains were way too cramped for the ride to be comfortable.
Lake.JPG
SLCs may suck but they are photogenic rides.
Thunderhawk Roll Over.JPG
I had heard this was the smoothest SLC. I can agree with that. It's a mediocre 3/10 ride instead of a painful dumpster fire 1/10 kind of ride.
Thunderhawk Inline Twist.JPG
SFNE's Mind Eraser and Kentucky Kingdom's T3 restraints showed me SLCs need vest restraints or it's going to be a bad time.
Thunderhawk Photos.JPG
Though for just $13 you can forever remember the contorted faces and screams of pain from your Thunderhawk ride.
Zach's Zoomer.JPG
Finally a smooth but subpar coaster. It's a junior woody but it's better than any of the park's steel coasters.
Mad Mouse Breakdown.JPG
Honestly this would have been the park's best steel coaster. Sadly it didn't open since the employees were dragging a train through the top turns.
Trabant.JPG
The flats don't get much better. This looked to be the park's best and most thrilling flat.
IMG_6728.JPG
When I left, they graduated to water dummy testing, but I wasn't going to wait for this mouse credit.
Grand Rapids.JPG
The park's water ride selection was pretty good. Grand Rapids is the most perfect name for a river rapids attraction.
Giant Gondola Wheel.JPG
A great way to see the park and the empty fields that exist around the park.
Grand Rapids Waterfall.JPG
I don't think that guy wants to get drenched on a 65 degree day.
HydroBlaster.JPG
HydroBlaster was the only non-coaster I rode and it was the perfect amount of wetness and a decently fast slide too.
Logger's Run.JPG
The flume (along with Wolvering Wildcat) was the only ride with any sort of wait. I prefer low-to-the-ground layouts on flumes, but I still wish I had time to try it. Probably would have been the park's 3rd best ride.
Funnel of Fear.JPG
The water park looked to be the park's main draw even on a not-so-warm day.
Snoopy Boutique.JPG
It wouldn't be a Cedar Fair park without everyone's favorite beagle who doesn't look like a beagle.
Shivering Timbers Turnaround.JPG
Goodbye Shivering Timbers. Hell may freeze over before this park gets another great coaster, so it may be a while until I see you again.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby EliHorton » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:10 pm

Great photographs! I usually love small parks like Adventureland (Iowa), Frontier City, Magic Springs, etc. but this park does not entice me at all. Sure it has Shivering Timbers, Mad Mouse, and Thunderhawk (I love Vekoma rides) but overall it just seems so sad. I get that Cedar Fair wants to keep it a family park since it is "close" to Cedar Point, but they could at least add a family ride every year or so. They didn't even get one of the rides that Cedar Fair bought used (I would have LOVED to see the Breakdance go to Michigan's Adventure, maybe even a Troika). What does Cedar Fair do with most of the money that this park makes? They don't even repaint their coasters.

Postby Pear » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:19 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:Will they be able to run 2 trains on Wildcat with the renovation?

Yes but who knows if they'll ever operate it with 2 trains :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!