Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2017 US Adventures

SeaWorld Orlando & Aquatica- PETA's archnemesis
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Location: Ypsilanti, MI (four hours closer to CP than my old home)

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's 2017 US Adventures

Postby cparkes92 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:20 am

Have you made it to Mt. Olympus yet just to see how bad it is?
Top 10 steel: Millennium Force, Maverick, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, Top Thrill Dragster, Valravn, GateKeeper, Kraken
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat, Blue Streak (CP)

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:09 am

Haha great update and thank you for reinforcing my decision to not visit the park closest to my house. :lol: :lol:
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman The Ride - I305
TRs: KW/CP / SFOG / KD/BGW / HP / SFA / SFNE/LC

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby coneyislandchris » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:22 am

There are definitely a few ridiculously crappy parks in NJ. Bowcraft and Keansburg both come to mind. Sounds like Clementon's another real winner.

Also, 42" for the drop tower of death, but 54" for the wooden coaster. Okay. I give up trying to understand height requirements at all. Hope the park lasts until the kiddo sprouts up another 5 inches.
That coaster dad [273] and that coaster kiddo [154]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: El Toro. Lightning Rod. Goliath (SFGAm). Wicked Cyclone. Thunderbolt (LP).

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:12 am

cparkes92 wrote:Have you made it to Mt. Olympus yet just to see how bad it is?

I could have while I was in Chicago last month, but I chose to visit Indiana Beach and Holiday World instead. Based on all accounts I've heard about Mt. Olympus, I think I made the right call. I do want to visit Mt. Olympus someday but I'll make sure I'm in good standing with the man upstairs first.

boldikus wrote:Haha great update and thank you for reinforcing my decision to not visit the park closest to my house. :lol: :lol:

You're welcome lol. I am shocked you've never made it there to try Hellcat at least once though.

coneyislandchris wrote:There are definitely a few ridiculously crappy parks in NJ. Bowcraft and Keansburg both come to mind. Sounds like Clementon's another real winner.

Also, 42" for the drop tower of death, but 54" for the wooden coaster. Okay. I give up trying to understand height requirements at all. Hope the park lasts until the kiddo sprouts up another 5 inches.

Bowcraft was good for what it was until it closed. Based on my one visit, it seemed like a decent kids park with plenty of tamer rides. It was a ghost town while I was there so I'm not shocked it closed though. Keansburg I have heard some horror stories about, particularly with regards to their opening times and number of rides that will be down on a given day. There's a reason I omitted that park in my trip.

I completely missed that the drop tower had only a 42" height requirement! That's crazy considering that ride's intensity. It always puzzles me when rides with the same restraints have different height requirements. For example, Great America's Demon has a 42" height requirement while almost every other Arrow looper has a 48" height requirement. Even Knoebels which has really low height restrictions relative to most parks has a 48" height requirement on their drop tower of the same manufacturer. As a kid, Thunder Drop would have absolutely terrified me since I didn't get over drop towers until I was older and it was on a much tamer S&S one.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:38 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:You're welcome lol. I am shocked you've never made it there to try Hellcat at least once though.

Haha like I said all I've ever heard is how much of a dump it is and how awful Hellcat is. Not much to inspire a trip. The fact that I'd have to get someone to drive me (and pay for both our admissions) or take public transit (almost 2 hours, compared to a half hour car ride) only compound my non-desire to make the effort. One day, maybe, but I'm in absolutely no rush.
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman The Ride - I305
TRs: KW/CP / SFOG / KD/BGW / HP / SFA / SFNE/LC

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:50 am

boldikus wrote:One day, maybe, but I'm in absolutely no rush.

:lol: Honestly, this trip report is making me want to rush to get there before the park closes forever. What a dump.

PS: How the hell have I never been to Funplex? I seriously never knew it existed.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:12 am

I had no clue Funplex even existed until I saw it on RCDB last year. There were a lot of random little credits I didn't know existed in the northeast, particularly with regards to mountain coasters. Funplex and Clementon can both easily be done the same day (I think they were 30 minutes apart). I could very well see Clementon closing in the near future. I have never seen a park that dead on a weekend with weather that perfect. It probably doesn't help that they have the balls to charge $8 for parking on top of a $45ish dollar admission. All I can say is thank goodness for that TPR discount.

boldikus wrote:
Canobie Coaster wrote:You're welcome lol. I am shocked you've never made it there to try Hellcat at least once though.

Haha like I said all I've ever heard is how much of a dump it is and how awful Hellcat is. Not much to inspire a trip. The fact that I'd have to get someone to drive me (and pay for both our admissions) or take public transit (almost 2 hours, compared to a half hour car ride) only compound my non-desire to make the effort. One day, maybe, but I'm in absolutely no rush.

I'd say the drop tower alone is worth admission, but Morey's has a taller version just a bit further down the road and is a significantly better all around park. Hell Cat in the very front is a decent ride just don't try any other seat or you're going to have a very bad time.
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby michaellynn4 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:11 am

Oh I love Funplex. I've been to a bunch of parties there over the last few years, including my uncle's 50th birthday party. It's been flourishing, too, having expanded greatly over that period. It seems every time I go they have some new addition. I still have a bunch of unused game cards burning holes in my wallet.

Let me jump on the Thank You Train for confirming everything I believed about Clemention Park, too. Having lived in Cherry Hill for the last three years, I was always a little tempted to take the quick drive over to the park but was always turned off by the reviews. Even with the discounts available, it never seemed worth it. At this point, I'll only go with other enthusiasts so we can have a blast making fun of how laughably bad our experience will be.

Excellent report, so far!!
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:52 am

And based on what I saw, it looks like Funplex still has a decent amount of space to expand.

Only bad part about going to Clementon with other enthusiasts is that we know to avoid Hellcat in any seat for the front. Unless you secretly enjoy pain. :lol:

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby I Like Theme Parks. » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Last year I had a season pass that was extremely cheap, and I did go quite a few times since I really liked Hellcat, even in the back rows, and it's about 15 minutes away from me. It really is an empty carnival, but for a great drop tower, a rough coaster that I actually like, and a custom flume, the price was worth it.

If you look at pictures from 10 or more years ago, it's actually way worse, I'm talking worse than Lakemont or even Keansburg.
Top 3 Parks: Knoebels, Cedar Point, Kennywood
Top 3 Steel Coasters: Phantom's Revenge, Intimidator 305, Fury 325
Top 3 Wood Coasters: El Toro, Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 3 Flat Rides: Knoebels Flyers, Black Widow, Zipper
Top 3 Water Rides: Coal Cracker, Escape From Pompeii, Splash Mountain
161 coasters

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!