TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lakemont Park changes

Of course, if you're brought up with sterile and relatively plain B&M and corporate (CF) parks, I understand some don't see the value.

This is a pretty condescending statement. As everyone knows, my favorite park anywhere, ever is Knoebels. I rank it ahead of the domestic Universal and Disney parks and major corporate thrill parks like Cedar Point. I love it's charm, I love the classic rides, I love the atmosphere, I love everything about it. There are plenty of classic parks that I absolutely love, but I also know a sh*thole when I see it and Lakemont and Conneaut are depressed sh*tholes. There are collapsing and abandoned buildings everywhere, the rides appear to be barely functional, there are empty ride pads everywhere and the parks have no charm or atmosphere to speak of.

There are plenty of valid reasons to think that these 2 parks are complete trash. I love classic parks and I absolutely see their value compared to corporate parks but just because a park is old doesn't mean it's good and not liking select classic parks doesn't mean that you're somehow "missing the value". Some parks don't have value, some parks just suck. In my opinion (aside from Leap the Dips) this is one of those parks. If someone bought Leap the Dips and they leveled everything else for condos I assure you that I wouldn't care at all.

^^I'm sorry if it came across as condescending, perhaps my wording was off. It wasn't meant to be rude. I'm sorry.

It's a theme I've noticed over the past few years... kinda like when Wildcat got taken out of CP, some younger CF fanboys were like "it's a carnival ride anyway," and don't see the value.

I have so many coaster buddies that have grown up on computer generated B&M rides (which I love as well), but when they get on the Mind Bender in Georgia and we almost end up in the same seat on a curve, they say there is something wrong with the ride. I also love GCI coasters, but they give a completely different, and highly-calculated ride experience. A friend said the designers of HW's Legend "forgot the bank the curves!" Well, that's what makes the ride so good! What has taken the fun out is those seat dividers.

We have so few classic coasters, where you actually get "fun movement." More than being pressed up against a super-tight lap bar, or a little pressure on the side of a bucket seat. Those are great too, but that old stuff is so special.

I will agree, the parks some are in are dumpy, but I hold those rides at such a high value, I'm able to see through most of that.

Nah, it's fine.

I'll say this by the way, when this park inevitably goes under (sorry I can't be that optimistic about Lakemont, lol) I really would like to see Skyliner stay where it is. Not only is it a perfectly good coaster (it's not amazing, but it's fun) but it also makes for an awesome backdrop for the baseball stadium. The entrance and exit paths could easily be accessed from the stadium concourse if they expanded it a little, I almost wonder if the Curve could buy the thing (and the land) and operate it during games. Plenty of minor league stadiums have upcharge Carousels, Slides, Bounce Houses and Ferris Wheels down the lines... how cool would it be if one of them had a coaster? I'd imagine such limited operation would really cut down on maintenance also.

I have no idea if this would make financial sense (I'll be honest, I'm leaning towards "no"), but it would be incredibly cool. The team know it adds to the appeal of the ballpark, they use Skyliner in almost all of their promotional images and marketing materials.

Edited by coasterbill

I absolutely agree about preserving classic rides, but Lakemont isn't preserving them at all, it's letting them rust and fall apart. They just happen to let people take their lives into their own hands and ride them during the process. If they were maintaining them like Knoebels, or Kennywood, if there was even any hope of saving the place I'd be there as often as I could supporting it. I mean, I still have a soft spot for Rye Playland, so clearly I'm willing to give a struggling park a chance... Lakemont is beyond saving though and their rides will be too if someone else doesn't take them and start taking care of them.

^I always stay on the optimistic side of things. When SFMM finally went back to lap-bar trains for Revolution (albeit with seat belts and bucket-y seats, still a HUGE improvement), the optimistic super-coaster-geek in me won a little victory. Everyone in the industry, and everyone else said that would never EVER happen.

Also, down in San Diego...

695587804_belmontgiantdipper.jpg.61c831b4b4f552c3046202f3433bd088.jpg

Things happen. Although not running classic trains, this thing is beautiful AND fun. How long was it condemned?

I agree with you JT325. I love classic rides and parks even if they are dealing with hard times and poor ownership. I'd travel to ride a classic John Allen coaster even if it was stuck in the middle of some walmart parking lot in Terre Haute.

Belmont is a great example. I'm sure if it were in the same situation these days you'd see "enthusiasts" rush to post about how much it sucks and should be torn down. It shows that there's always hope that someone can bring new life to classic attractions, but a new approach is often warranted. If they take out most of the rides at Lakemont except the few classics worth saving and fill the voids with more standard park amenities, that will be a win-win for everyone. Expanding the water park would also be a good idea.

Looks like I had good timing going to the park last summer. A shame Leap-The-Dips was closed during then, but I'm glad they aren't absurd enough to remove one of the park's financial arteries. Only reasons I say to go there was:

1. Leap-The-Dips (Obvious reasons)

2. Lakemont Park History Book (It's fun reading about the park when it wasn't a agonizingly humid place without trees...)

3. Twister (If I remember correctly, this is the only one of its kind left. It's somewhat like a weird cross between a tilt-a-whirl and whip.)

4. Paddleboats

5. The Train & Antique Cars (SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADE)

6. Skyliner

7. Toboggan (If only for how rare they are now, and also being able to say you got into a roller coaster with a cage as the car.)

8. Swings (Never really paid attention to it until I saw it was a custom chair-o-plane swing; pretty cool to see past scenes of the park on it. Also a good way to cool down.)

The only flat rides I hope they don't get rid of are the swings and rare twister, the former if only for being a way to temporarily feel better in the humidity. Otherwise I really don't see people doing anything other than the rides they confirmed they are keeping and getting a ride on the three coasters. I doubt they won't remove the Toboggan though.

• 3 weeks later...

^I went on it for the first time a few years ago expecting it to be awful, but it didn't hurt at all and was rather enjoyable and exciting to me. I would say it is worth saving just because it is a rare classic, but in addition it is actually a fun ride.

I know my opinion is in the minority though.

Bumm, as hoping to make it back this summer. Haven't been there since 2015. The park definitely needs some work though I thought the pool area was decent. Especially the little kids area.

Swings (Never really paid attention to it until I saw it was a custom chair-o-plane swing; pretty cool to see past scenes of the park on it. Also a good way to cool down.)

Their swinger was absolutely terrible. I went on expecting your standard swing ride to give myself a break after the beating I took on Toboggan, but the swings managed to be even more uncomfortable. The seats were so un-ergonomically designed that they gave me Charlie horses in both legs by the time I got off.

At least the website really makes it *feel* like this is going to be a legit make-over of the park and re-opening the major attractions in addition to the newer family friendly stuff is absolutely in their plans. I had always felt that every time we visited the park, there seemed to be more people there than you'd think there would be. They appear to do well with their groups catering and the baseball field next door probably helps, too.

435359608_ScreenShot2017-04-11at22_08_56.thumb.png.cf3146c53043664c3ebc97ecad425406.png

128128129_ScreenShot2017-04-11at22_09_06.thumb.png.76b8c608e1d4e832e4acb19e743ece6f.png

^ The coasters at Lakemont are awesome and rare. I hope they redo the park nice, it really it has a lot of potential!

Did someone mention Idlewild? That place is beautiful. I often think of Rollo Coaster as one of the best coaster designs ever. It's a mini Boulderdash. I think I'm in the minority that prefer it over Boulderdash (which I also love!). There's just something about classic coaster trains that really does it for me.

• 1 month later...

What do you guys think the odds are they keep the Toboggan? They said coasters, but I just don't know what to think. It is obviously a miserable experience, but there's only one other left in the US, and it was neat to have done once.

As for my opinion I say it's about time that Lakemont park got a huge makeover. It needs a little bit of everything so it can once again become the park it once was in its heydays.

If I were the one who was renovating the park here is what I'd do:

1) I would add a fifth coaster to the park, probably a family-sized coaster such as a Wild Mouse, a Roller Skater, or a family suspended coaster ( like the Freedom Flyer at The Fun Spot).

2) Next, I'd put in a log flume attraction.

3) Next, put in a dark ride with a haunted house theme.

4) Renovate the Arcade in which one side has redemption games and the other side has classic arcade games in which players pay one price to play all day.

5) And speaking of games, lets also have pavilions that houses Skeeball, Bowling, Fascination, and Pokereno ( you can play those last two games at Knoebels).

6) More family fun events; such as holiday cook-outs, summer concert series, and sports tournaments.

7) Put in The Whip. I'm sure there's an unwritten rule that states that any amusement park in the state of Pennsylvania must have The Whip.

8 Add another attraction to the waterpark. 'Nuff said!

9) Finally, beautify the place up. Plant more trees, pour more concrete, landscape some gardens - Make this a park that pleases all your senses with sights, sounds, smells, and even feeling that this is one awesome park to visit.

What do you guys think the odds are they keep the Toboggan? They said coasters, but I just don't know what to think. It is obviously a miserable experience, but there's only one other left in the US, and it was neat to have done once.

I guess some people really like the feeling of Vietnam War torture for then to keep this ride. Seriously though, never once has airtime hurt so much.

I do not think it will be back in 2018.