TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

When people ask us why we don't do TPR tours anymore...

So this was brought to my attention today...

469212435_ScreenShot2017-01-17at11_33_11.thumb.png.4fa04a3728ca5b72d87ce0b94fa62c79.png

Let me just break this down for a moment because I want you all to understand that it is exactly people like this is why we stopped doing our TPR tours because we quite simply just could not stand putting up with people like this anymore....

in 2012 I decided to spend my hard earned money on one of their tours... it was the "New Hotness" tour and man was I ready. About 3 days into the trip, I thought it would be cool to add Robba the hut to my friends list and he accepted it, and well it turned out to be a real eye opening experience to say the least.

So while we thank this person for spending their money doing a trip with us, *they* also requested to join my *PERSONAL* Facebook page (something that I used to be more open about, but again, here is an example of why I no longer will allow people I don't know that well into my personal private life) which I put trust in them and accepted. It's also a lesson that I think everyone should learn here - If you don't really know someone that well, DON'T ask to be their "friend" on Facebook and don't accept friend requests from people you don't know. (I had to learn the hard way.) And again, THEY REQUESTED it. No one was forcing them to be part of my page. No one put a gun to their head. This was THEIR CHOICE! I'm sorry my posts on my personal Facebook page didn't fit their personal preferences of what they felt my Facebook page should contain, but again, this was THEIR doing. No one else made them send me the request.

within a day or so of adding him, his posts started showing up. Unfortunately the posts included rude and obnoxious statements and comments about participants on the current trip, OUR GROUP!!! from that point on and for the duration of the trip I saw his true colors in living color, and it was from that point in time, my disgust for Robba the hut began...

So if this person were to have really KNOWN me personally, yes, I vent a LOT on my Facebook page, much like other people do about things going on in their lives or "work." And in case you didn't realize TPR is my "job" and I choose to use my PERSONAL PRIVATE Facebook page to vent about things that happen on TPR to my FRIENDS who know me and know that it is my channel to release frustrations. There is nothing wrong with that. If someone on one of our trips did something annoying or stupid, I would write about it. The mistake I made here, and openly admit to, was trusting someone who was on the site for three years to understand that my "venting" doesn't always mean "I hate this person and hope they get hit by a truck."

In January of 2013 I was reading a thread on TPR about Robba's favorite subject, "line Jumping" and well I am firmly against ANY kind of line jumping, which includes leaving to go to the bathroom. and I let my feelings be known. Robba the hut did NOT like my comments, and literally ripped me apart on the site, he took a holier than thou approach to things, called me asshole...

This is probably true and I probably called him an asshole because he was being one. Big deal. Are we twelve years old here? Are you going to cry to mommy because you got into an arguement with someone? Please. Grow some balls.

the conversation then moved to email where he messaged me, called me all kinds of names, cussed me out and told me I was permanently banned from TPR and never will be welcomed again.

Weird. I just did a search for his email in my inbox and I have nothing like this...

1446135694_soyeahstanwhereareallthoseemailsyouweretalkingabout.jpg.ff227611b02053b16c362697b14f54b9.jpg

I mean, it's POSSIBLE this conversation took place? Maybe? I searched his name, his email address, his TPR screen name, even Facebook Messenger and NOTHING like this came up at all that I could find. And even if that conversation DID take place, is he trying to make it out somehow that this was the first time him or anyone else has ever been "cussed out" over some pointless argument on the internet? Again, are we twelve? Do we not have balls or any sort of thick skin? Do people not even realize that when they post that reads like "This guy cussed me out in an email and called me names and I'm so sad and it really really really hurt my feelings" (keeping in mind that I'm sure he also did he fair share of cussing out, too) and you're a grown adult that just makes you look super insecure because none of any of that matters in the grand scheme of things anyway?

however it was at this precise moment in time, that I remembered that Elissa the snake was also on my friends list, problem solved..I replied to Robba the hut via Elissa's email making sure to include my feelings on her and their spoiled pain in the ass spawn in the letter, messaged then blocked both of them...

So let me get this straight. You feel like resolved the issue by going to my wife (who I'm going to place a Las Vegas bet here that if I asked her to check her emails she wouldn't have anything either) and then you solved your problem by insulting her and our child?!?!? WHAT DID I JUST READ?!?!?

I have run into them 3 times since the fallout at coaster events

I have not seen this guy since the 2012 trip.

and each time I do see them, I still to this day make comments to them when I see them

and each time is met with gazes of disgust and anger...

since 2012 when I took my trip, many friends that were in TPR that thought highly of Robb, have since left along with tons of others.

This is probably true. And I still maintain that TPR is much better and our lives have been by far more "drama free" since many of those people left. And trust me, any people who have "left" over the years that WE actually felt highly of, we have righted any wrongs and made good, you know, just like mature adults would do. Those people who we didn't, don't let the door hit your butt on the way out! You're just like this guy and we are better off without you!

TPR is falling out of the limelight

We just had one of our best months ever on social media in December and so far in January.

1779802210_facebookdecjan201617.png.394c56437932e32000f5e281112f7762.png

it will be that group that everyone talks about, you know that one coaster club that used to be cool..

I admit, we aren't that cool.

I'm sure some people will come on here and say "Oh, this is just Alvey creating drama" blah, blah, blah, but I legit felt the need to post using this as an example of exactly WHY we don't do our tours anymore, or I should say don't do them open to the public anymore. Yes, we still have fun traveling the world with our friends and TPR members who weren't terrible humans like this guy. I still maintain I did NOTHING WRONG to this person. I mean, what? We got into an argument over line jumping apparently? And that triggered all of this? Or was it that he didn't like my personal private Facebook posts and then later held that grudge to start an argument? Who knows. All I know is that we are way better off without this person, better off without doing public trips, and we are happier and our lives are more drama free.

And you know, that all being said, if you are a person who could be exactly *NOT* like this person here, and would like to do a trip with us, you should send either Elissa or myself a message!

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at some point, in the future, I'm gonna have some time, and will ping y'all.

I'd LOVE to go on a trip with y'all eventually. Yer kewl to me!

(and you know, I'm cool, since I spelled cool as "kewl")

I went to one TPR event ever. It was East Coast Bash at Kings Dominion a few years ago (which I believe took place in the middle of a TPR tour, I don't remember which one). We had a great time, but we saw some things that day that any sensible person would need to vent about if they were running the event and I can't fault anyone from doing so on their personal Facebook page. One guy ran into a plastic garbage can during TPR Quest and acted as if he had just lost a leg in Vietnam and had the PR team basically consoling him in the middle of picnic area as they were obviously worried about a potential B.S. lawsuit even though everyone knew the guy was fine. I happened to look up on "stage" to see Elissa understandably rolling her eyes in disgust. Who wouldn't vent???

Some coaster enthusiasts are super cool, but an unreasonably high percentage of them are either weird as hell, entitled sh*tbags or some combination of these two things. If you don't know what I'm talking about then you've either never been to an enthusiast event or you're likely part of the problem. If I had to deal with these people for a living I'd lose my damn mind.

Anyway, we had a great time at that event. We didn't talk to the Alvey's much (if it all) because they were busy running an event and doing a million things at once but they seemed genuinely invested in making sure everyone was having a good time. I'm sure doing that from 8AM (or earlier) to Midnight (or later) would be exhausting, especially if it was a trip where you'd then have to get on a bus with the same people and do it again day after day. Who wouldn't need to vent???

One guy ran into a plastic garbage can during TPR Quest and acted as if he had just lost a leg in Vietnam and had the PR team basically consoling him in the middle of picnic area as they were obviously worried about a potential B.S. lawsuit even though everyone knew the guy was fine. I happened to look up on "stage" to see Elissa understandably rolling her eyes in disgust. Who wouldn't vent???

OMG! Don't even get me started on this! His "injury" if my memory serves correctly had more to do with the fact that his ex-girlfriend showed up at the event with her new boyfriend and he was trying to play the "oh, I'm hurt" sympathy card on her. I wanted to be all "Um, this is WHY she's not your girlfriend anymore!!!!!" Ugh, I hate people.

Some coaster enthusiasts are super cool, but an unreasonably high percentage of them are either weird as hell, entitled sh*tbags or some combination of these two things. If you don't know what I'm talking about then you've either never been to an enthusiast event or you're likely part of the problem. If I had to deal with these people for a living I'd lose my damn mind.

This is so true. Every single word of this. And for us personally, we made the conscious decision that we were no longer going to put up nor welcome the "entitled sh*tbags" into TPR anymore. Yes, this has been met with resistance and lots of crap thrown our way, but we don't care. Because reading stupid comments from them on the internet complaining about us is SOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER than having to put up with these horrible people for a day at an event much less an entire week on a trip.

I'm sure doing that from 8AM (or earlier) to Midnight (or later) would be exhausting, especially if it was a trip where you'd then have to get on a bus with the same people and do it again day after day. Who wouldn't need to vent???

You get this. Many people don't. People do not realize that when we do a tour, and that tour is ten days for example, that is ten days of 24/7 working on the trip. We don't really have that much "fun" on those trips as it is mostly all work, and it's all work so that everyone else on the trip can have fun. So when we have entitled sh*tbags like the guy I quoted above and all his horrible friends that we cannot stand, and then we do this for 10 years, you can bet Jurassic we are going to say "screw this" and no longer do those tours anymore. In 2012 we were on the road for something like 120 days that year. That's a LOT of time putting up with horrible people. And we just aren't going to do it anymore. Sure, we'll still do trips, but we'll pick and choose the people we WANT on our trips.

Edited by robbalvey

Do these people have their own "hate on Robb Facebook page"? I can't believe some people

Yes. It consists of almost 300 people who (in some cases) were banned over a decade ago but still haven't gotten over it bashing the TPR for holding grudges and "not having a life".

Think about that. Take as much time as you need.

Well, if they hate you that means you made it right?

I kid.

I have been on these here forums going on 12 years now. (Wow I am old) And Have found that yes, you may disagree with what someone says or the way they respond, or whatever the case may be. But you have to sit back and remember...this is OUR HOBBY. MOST of us on here are not in the industry.

THIS SHOULD BE FUN, and if its not fun for you anymore or it upsets you too much, just walk away. If you don't,you ruin it for other people.

I have met Robb on multiple occasion at media events and he has never been anything other than professional and knowledgeable.

SO keep up the hard work and I look forward to 12 more years of TPR.

**edit** Regardless of your beef with an individual, don't drag their family into it.

Stuff like this really pisses me off and people wonder why I never joined Facebook. Humanity really is slipping away and this is solid evidence of that. There is nothing wrong with venting on your personal Facebook page. If the guy didn't like it, get off of it. coasterbill really hit it home about some enthusiast. There is a reason I joined this site and every less whinny enthusiast we have it better. This community helped me planned the trip of a lifetime and I had a great time. (And I still need to put that trip report together to return the favor.) I've been apart of other communities who are a lot more sterile then this. As long as you have common sense and are respectable to other members, you can post a lot of fun interesting stuff. I know coasterbill's latest report would be kicked off plenty of places. I completely understand why there are no more TPR tours and probably in the future no WCB. I'm not going to whine about it because if I was put in the exact same position, I'd do the exact same. Hopefully I'll attend WCB this year but if it doesn't happen, I'm blaming those that whine and aren't thankful, not Robb. Good for him enjoying time with his friends across the world doing what he likes to do. I'm genuinely thankful for this site (more then I can express) and may it at least live on for years to come.

As for the hate Robb Facebook pages, hey, must be doing something right.

I went to one TPR event ever. It was East Coast Bash at Kings Dominion a few years ago (which I believe took place in the middle of a TPR tour, I don't remember which one). We had a great time, but we saw some things that day that any sensible person would need to vent about if they were running the event and I can't fault anyone from doing so on their personal Facebook page. One guy ran into a plastic garbage can during TPR Quest and acted as if he had just lost a leg in Vietnam and had the PR team basically consoling him in the middle of picnic area as they were obviously worried about a potential B.S. lawsuit even though everyone knew the guy was fine. I happened to look up on "stage" to see Elissa understandably rolling her eyes in disgust. Who wouldn't vent???

Anyway, we had a great time at that event. We didn't talk to the Alvey's much (if it all) because they were busy running an event and doing a million things at once but they seemed genuinely invested in making sure everyone was having a good time. I'm sure doing that from 8AM (or earlier) to Midnight (or later) would be exhausting, especially if it was a trip where you'd then have to get on a bus with the same people and do it again day after day. Who wouldn't need to vent???

I'm starting to realize that this hobby isn't that far from being a fan of Comic Books. The stereotype of the "comic book guy" is solidly rooted in truth. 'Coaster Enthusiast" guy carries many of the same tropes.

When I first joined TPR in 2014, Robb came off as an entitled ass to me. As I stuck around, I started to realize why he had the views he did. Coming in I didn't know what the people being involved in this hobby were like exactly. Having been around now though, I fully understand it. I've since changed my stance on views of my home park (SFGAm) and constantly have to deal with bitching, like what was posted above, in conversations regarding SFGAm. I fully understand Robb's p.o.v. now. Think of this line from THE DARK KNIGHT:

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

I think we know how Robb is viewed among many out there in the enthusiast world. I guess that's what you get working in a hobby that is full of people who are oblivious to the social norms we abide by as a society. 12 seems very appropriate for the maturity level used by many enthusiasts. They seem to want to take pot shots simply based upon jealousy. I mean, who wouldn't want to be a welcomed guest at parks all across the globe? Robb must be doing something right to have achieved that status among the parks' management.

I enjoyed the one event I went to (Banshee Bash) there were a lot of people and the Alveys worked hard. I have talked with Robb in person a couple times and he was indeed friendly in person.

I have had disagreements with Robb on here a couple of times and while it was a bit frustrating and somewhat amusing to me at the time I can also take a step back and see why he flies off the handle from time to time and curses people out. With any hobby and especially a site with this many members you're going to see a good amount of trolls and shit posting It would be frustrating to me and I am sure I would get annoyed with it too.

As far as tours go, I don't blame the Alvey's for giving up on that venture as it was clearly making something that is supposed to be enjoyable not be at all.

This is why we can't have nice things. In the grand scheme of things, I'd always wanted to finally go for a tour (have been checking the Events section from time to time recently, wasn't aware of the Touring Hiatus/Stop- this explains it) It's really unfortunate that some can ruin it for all like this, but entirely logical from the Alvey's perspective. I imagine it's pretty disheartening to put all the time and effort into planning a trip, actually pulling it off successfully, and then dealing with that kind of garbage when it's all said and done for an indefinite period of time.

Bummer.

Oh, god, there is more! lol

1798704760_ScreenShot2017-01-17at15_22_01.png.17ce636ac2ef1be91622407ba309eaa4.png

however that all came with a price, and what makes the situation even worse is the fact that all the drama, attitude, verbal abuse all came from the person in charge of the site! this man would take 2,000 + dollars from 95 people, and while he is traveling with them for 12 days, would talk crap about the tour participants on his personal FB page!

Let me make something perfectly clear. Absolutely ZERO of the drama "came from the person in charge." 100% of it came from tour participants where I then had to get involved because people were doing stupid crap that were against trip rules, park rules, common decency or sense, or in some cases outright illegal! So don't blame any of the drama on me because we don't have drama on our trips any more after we got rid of all these horrible people, so clearly the problem didn't come from anyone in charge. And again, maybe you shouldn't have asked to join my personal FB page if you couldn't respect or understand the way I vented about things. So now, instead of venting about them in private, I might as well just vent about them in public, because, it will just all get made public anyway? Did I mention how I hate people?

this in itself warrants the right to say whatever I want

What was someone saying in this thread about how most roller coaster enthusiasts are self-entitled sh*tbags? And sure, you can say whatever you want. You have freedom of speech, but you don't have freedom of consequences, so perhaps this person should learn to take personal responsibility for their own actions? I mean, a simple email saying "Hey Robb, sorry about that blow up in the discussion about line jumping. Let's just wash that under the bridge and start all over?" Is this asking too much? It is asking too much, isn't it?

3 years later and I still get dirty looks from him

Honestly, I have not seen this guy once since the trip he took. Maybe he has me confused with someone else he hates?

3 years later and I still get dirty looks from him, and his wife when I see them at events.

We have not been to a non-TPR "coaster event" in at least ten years, maybe longer. So he must have me confused with someone else.

his crappy TPR is dying a very slow death, and I couldn't be more pleased about it...

The eleven million, eight hundred and forty nine thousand, five hundred and fifteen people who all posted comments to TPR content in the past 28 days also agree with you!

I also just want to point out that this was posted to the TPR hate page in response to someone else who was arguing over HOW they should be hating on TPR. So not only do these people have issues with TPR but they also are in-fighting with their own group because they can't agree on how to hate us!

I'm serious, you couldn't PAY the best comedy writers in the world to come up with this crap!!!!

Edited by robbalvey

People are just horrible. I can't imagine how stressful it would be to organize a tour. Those crappy entitled people would feel like they paid you so you have to meet their expectations and sometimes even give you attitude for uncontrollable situations or when a park sucks.

Oh and also, if you work a 9 to 5 you get to go home and stay away from those people, but I think working social medias and organizing tours are 24 hours a day every single day kind of thing.

Can we please spend more time focusing on their use of the word "powerful"? They want their group to be "powerful" to do what exactly? "Hey guys, if we work together and focus all of our bitching and moaning in the same place, our bitching and moaning will be so powerful that even the whiniest of Facebook groups will have nothing on our group."

Can we please spend more time focusing on their use of the word "powerful"? They want their group to be "powerful" to do what exactly? "Hey guys, if we work together and focus all of our bitching and moaning in the same place, our bitching and moaning will be so powerful that even the whiniest of Facebook groups will have nothing on our group."

With their collective minds together, parks will pay a gracious consulting fee for their advice on how to successfully run a park

Uggg....

This is why I can't stand dealing with the public. Seriously, if you can't follow simple directions and get along with people, maybe you shouldn't be going on these trips. It only takes 1 or 2 idiots to ruin it for the rest.

Rob..

I really hope there is another trip planned in the future. Me and my family attended a few of your events, and had a blast. It really stood out, all the work you put into making it the best possible day we could ask for....and for that we thank you!

I also just want to point out that this was posted to the TPR hate page in response to someone else who was arguing over HOW they should be hating on TPR. So not only do these people have issues with TPR but they also are in-fighting with their own group because they can't agree on how to hate us!

I'm serious, you couldn't PAY the best comedy writers in the world to come up with this crap!!!!

If you're part of a group dedicated to hating one person and you can't decide on the best way to hate, perhaps it's time to move on with your life.

Just a thought.

Maybe dude should try to organize his own tour and run his own forum and whole Youtube and Twitter and Facebook and other social media sites if he thinks he could do better. Smh.

I take the stance of "If I'm super butthurt by a post on the internet, it's probably not worth my time arguing about it and getting more butthurt." Has worked for the most part, I'm still here and have met some really cool people via this site (and definitely some serious pervs and weirdos, but I put them aside).

I enjoy the time and energy you take for this site. It would be awesome to take a trip with you guys someday, and well, if not, it's still awesome and rewarding to plan my own trips!

Dude and his 300 friends should take a hate-TPR tour and see how that goes for them. I would LOVE to see a TR of that

These people are the exact reason I'm not a member of any club and try to distance myself from a lot of enthusiasts. They take this hobby way to seriously.

As someone who has also worked in parks, you know what I mean when I say the normal guests can sometimes be challenging themselves, but then you throw "coaster enthusiast" mentality and attitude on top of it, and 90% of the time you get someone who have zero interest in dealing with.

Jesus, all that hate and envy. Unbelievable. I can easily imagine those people sitting at their computers full of envy for Robb and his team. "Oh this guy gets to travel the world and make a living of posting content about Theme Parks" - thinking that it's just all play, no hard work, and having no idea how that actually works.

Voicing a strong opinion on the internet is always something that might get you brutal relapse from idiots. In my experience, once they meet you face-to-face, they'll start "trying to talk about it" and make sure "they didn't mean it the way it came across", etc. etc.. Just dumb excuses for behaving like an asshole when behind a keyboard and a few thousand miles away from the guy you're attacking.

I am neither a very active member of this forum, nor have I ever been to a TPR trip, but still, I have respect for dealing with this the way you did it. It's bold and most importantly, it shows that TPR is not dependent on the trips to make money. This probably causes the most hate

The whole "coaster enthusiast" mindset is something I can not understand at all, especially since I know the other side of the fence, so to say, but in another business. Having a so called "enthusiast" come up to you and tell you how to do your job (which they have no idea about), is one of the most difficult situations you can face in nearly every profession.