TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coasters and Kidney Stones

I wasn't quite sure how to list this but, here goes. Did anyone catch on the TV news tonight that research shows that riding roller coasters is a thrilling way to cure Kidney Stones? Yes this is a real thing. Optimal results were found by riding in the back seat as opposed to the front.

Here's the link.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/research-finds-thrilling-cure-kidney-stones-roller-coasters-n654576

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had about 10 kidney stones of varying sizes and painfulness.

From the article, it sounds like they made a model of the kidney and simulated the exit of the stone from the kidney. This is exactly what you DON'T want - a stone leaving the kidney and going into the ureter (on its way to the bladder). That's the point where it can cause extreme, debilitating pain. The key to passing a stone is getting it to fully exit the body, after navigating the ureter and finally leaving the bladder. Once it's in the bladder it's just annoying, but not generally painful.

Personally, I would rather have had an experiment that causes the stones to actually leave the bladder, since (for me) that's where they hang out for a while inexplicably.

That said, I one time had a stone in my bladder for a good week or so, and it finally decided to exit immediately after a couple back-to-back rides on Tower of Terror at DHS. That bathroom now holds a special place in my heart.

(TMI?)

I've had horrible kidney stone issues throughout my life and 3 years ago needed emergency removal surgery. They were able to remove the embedded stones in my ureter but some of the smaller ones hung around in other areas. 10 days later I went to Kings Dominion and after a few rides on I305 I can confirm the remaining stones exited. We've joked for years that coasters are cures for kidney stones and this is pretty funny. I've got a pain tolerance off the charts but kidney stones are a whole 'nother ballgame.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
There are also those reports that drinking beer is good to help deal with preventing large kidney stones. So, coaster rider and beer drinker? Check and check.

That, my friend, should be on the platform come election day. Beer and Roller coasters - what could be more AMERICAN than that?

"BEER FOR PRESIDENT!!!"