Accidental death at Schlitterbahn in Kansas City.

P. 28 - Verrückt will be removed from the park!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Accidental death at Schlitterbahn in Kansas City.

Postby thrillrider » Tue May 29, 2018 6:28 am

I agree with most of what you are saying, however....

They "may have" had the proper manuals and training, but just did not have the paperwork in the proper location. I believe it was mentioned that the proper signage was not at the slide, but the signs were in the office?

Either way it's sloppy on the parks behalf. The point that I was trying to make was that the park "may have" had the proper paperwork and training, but just did not have it where it was satisfactory to to inspector. Just like the example I used for our fire certificate. In our report, they said we did not have the proper fire certification, even though we did. It just was not in the location that the inspector wanted it. We fixed that, and had him return the next day and he passed us.
261 steel coasters
100 wood coasters

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue May 29, 2018 2:29 pm

DirkFunk wrote:I've said it a few times before here, but until last year, there were no regulations on amusement attractions in the state of Kansas.

Let me repeat it one more time. Until last year, there were no regulations on amusement attractions. None.

There was no need for any inspections.

No certifications.

No reviews of standard operating procedures. There didn't need to be any. It didn't matter.

What probably happened with Schlitterbahn is that they got caught out by actually having to play by a rule book at the same time their management was getting arrested left and right. Putting together a proper manual for cleaning and maintenance of a pump system took a back seat to getting lawyers and worrying about extradition. This isn't an excuse; just a point about what we take for granted sometimes not being what we think it is.

However, ASTM standards have existed long before 2017....

If you are a theme park/water park who cares about safety, you would be hiring outside auditors on a yearly basis to ensure compliance with ASTM standards.

The report demonstrates a clear lack of understanding of anything related to ASTM.

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Wed May 30, 2018 6:55 pm

^ The only issue with that is unless a federal or statewide agency "adopts" ATSM standards, they are only considered recommendations. They fall in the same vein as ANSI and the NFPA. I wish more companies were proactive with hiring outside consulting to ensure compliance, but sadly that's not the case. Usually when consulting companies are brought in for safety compliance assistance it's after the fact, when they've already been inspected by OSHA or had an accident. Often times it's even forced by OSHA to have their case abated. It doesn't surprise me with Schlitterbahn's track record that they never went above and beyond to ensure compliance.
Total: 235 | Steel: 179 | Wooden: 56

Last Coaster Ridden: Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point on May 13, 2018.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed May 30, 2018 11:50 pm

I wish a Park who does not follow ASTM standards good luck in winning a lawsuit brought against them.

They are widely recognized as the unofficial standard in the industry, which is why states with amusement ride laws more or less come out to “follow ASTM standards please”

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby djrappa » Thu May 31, 2018 12:08 am

Reading between the lines of the audit and knowing they are the manufacturers it's pretty clear no manuals or documentation were ever created when these rides were built.
Cheers
Clint Dulieu

Lighting hack from Downunder

I love donkeys more than me.

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Thu May 31, 2018 4:35 am

Jew wrote:I wish a Park who does not follow ASTM standards good luck in winning a lawsuit brought against them.

They are widely recognized as the unofficial standard in the industry, which is why states with amusement ride laws more or less come out to “follow ASTM standards please”

Kansas also limits awards to people suing. In schlitterbahn's case, they seem to have settled for a very high amount in the hopes of keeping details secret as suits are public. But IIRC the max award is 250k for damages in that state.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby lk2500 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:08 am

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby TEDodd » Thu May 31, 2018 12:01 pm

Interesting. So maintainers didn't reinstall something. That doesn't bode well for them.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Satans Hockey » Thu May 31, 2018 2:18 pm

TEDodd wrote:
Interesting. So maintainers didn't reinstall something. That doesn't bode well for them.

They screwed themselves, they lied and said there was no brake mat ever installed on hill 2 until investigators showed them pictures that there was and then they changed their story.

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Thu May 31, 2018 3:12 pm

To be honest, they probably wouldn't have been charged if they had just complied with the investigators and told the truth, since they were acting under the direction of Schooley and Henry.
Total: 235 | Steel: 179 | Wooden: 56

Last Coaster Ridden: Steel Vengeance at Cedar Point on May 13, 2018.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!